RTC MK 1

jbqfc

• RMweb Premium

got thease to day

post-10299-064079700 1292085665_thumb.jpg

post-10299-028369800 1292085688_thumb.jpg

a close up of new B4 bogie molding

post-10299-087389700 1292085701_thumb.jpg

i have 2 sets one to keep as is and one to convert to the auto trailer and lab 11 along with a vaa van to make up the trim train to go with model zones RTC 24 when it comes out

Dont you just lurve the cages in the brake compartment!!

My bogies on Test Car 5 have a slight upward bow in them, but I'll fix it... not letting these outa my hands. All I need now is a formation.

jbqfc has got me thinking now as to what else these can be converted to... Lab 6 Prometheus being one possible, looks like departmentals.com is the next weeks worth of web browsing.

Rgds

Mark

On a quick look there's a nice pic of Lab 12 in the condition modelled on www.departmentals.com. There were two test car 5s, this must be the earlier one as the later one had a pantograph well. See also here.

With the later one previously being Lab 6 Prometheus, thats what made me think about conversions

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent, thanks John.

I wonder if I could ask for further help - what might a suitable formation be? Would it just be these two coaches behind a loco? I'm afraid my collection of prototype-info books can be counted on one hand and I can't seem to find a suitable online source for the info. If someone can point me in the direction of some info or, even better, provide it on here, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

hi this i am on researching now

test car 5 all i can find on the internet and books is one picture when newley converted

lab 12 lots of pictures but most of them are at the recerch center at derby the only picture i have found in service is 31296 blue + lab 12 + bogie bolster c + lab 10

my resurch is still on going iwill come back to you if i find out more

john

Hello,

Just to add to the research, I have an Ian Allan booklet from 1988 which lists Lab 12 as still being in traffic and has about 3 pictures of it on test trains circa 1983/84.

No info on the first Test Car 5 as included in the Modelzone pack though, so it was withdrawn earlier than this. Any more info would be much appreciated.

If I remember correctly though, it does list the 2nd Test Car 5 (there have been several I think).

Found a couple of photos:

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975051-2

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975136

Have to say, well done to Farish as they've got the bogies right and generally everything seems to match up. Perhaps a bit more underframe clutter on the Test Car 5 photo...?

Does the livery on the model go round to the ends as shown in the lower photo...? I ordered mine at lunchtime :)

• RMweb Premium

Does the livery on the model go round to the ends as shown in the lower photo...? I ordered mine at lunchtime :)

yes the livery on these is very accurate

john

These really are superb models. I got a set today, as it's my birthday, courtesy of my sister who has been rather good recently in acquiring N gauge stuff for me. Over Christams she went to Hong Kong and picked up a load of Cars Workshop buses cheaply. B)

G.

Archived