Cleaning Needle Files

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

I have been using a set of Draper needle files to remove excess Milliput from a white metal kit.

How do I now remove the Milliput from the files. I have file cards for full sized files, but they are to chunky for the needle files.

Any ideas? (The Milliput had been on for a week at lest - it isn't semi set goo stuck in the files).

Thanks.

A fine wire brush should do the trick, probably of brass! If forign bodies are too deeply clogged in, I pick the 'muck' out with the tip of a scapel blade, then wire brush again.

Best thing is to not let the file get clogged in the first place - wipe chalk or crayon over the file before use and you should be fine.

Cheers,

John E.

By far the best method (I have found) is to ruin a perfectly good scalpel blade! By running the blade through the cutting groves of the file, the crud will be pushed out. A quick sort of flicking motion will do the job, no need to go gouging with a lot of pressure! Doesn't take too long and it really cleans the file. Whitemetal will not stand a chance!laugh.gif I always keep a duff blade on the bench to clean out the files. Once the worst is out, then I run the wife's best suede shoe brush over the file.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

By far the best method (I have found) is to ruin a perfectly good scalpel blade! By running the blade through the cutting groves of the file, the crud will be pushed out. A quick sort of flicking motion will do the job, no need to go gouging with a lot of pressure! Doesn't take too long and it really cleans the file. Whitemetal will not stand a chance!laugh.gif I always keep a duff blade on the bench to clean out the files. Once the worst is out, then I run the wife's best suede shoe brush over the file.

Mike

Apart from not having a wife, my method exactly!

Get a piece of 15mm copper pipe and flatten it in a vice or use a hammer. then file diagonaly across the copper at the same angle as the grooves of the file. This should remove most of the unwanted crud, then using an old scalpel blade carefully scrape out whats left.

Bob

Archived