Venture into '0'

georgeT

Hi, starting with my first Hornby train set for christmas when l was about ten years old, was the start of it all, adding bit by bit whenever l could, that was forty-eight years ago, built a few layouts on the way, but just seemed to collect anything and everything, until l had a big collection of model railways but no two locos were from the same era, had collected red coaches blue and grey, and green ones, locos ranged from bullied pacifics, black fives, 9fs and loads of diesels 47s 37s etc,

Then l got fed up with the collection of misfits, so with a move up to the north from the south l decided to sell the whole lot and give up on my hobby, so thats what l did, then my buddy (Andrew P) changed to 0 gauge, and l was hooked on kit built brass locos, so l bought a Heywood G6 and that was it, what l didn't realise was, just how much work there is in building even a small 0-6-0 tank loco, it has taken nearly a year what with blowing it all to pieces and starting all over again, but what a great experience learning how to solder, l even joined a local 0 gauge group, and when l saw my first 7mm britannia that was it l was well hooked, now because of the cost l only buy what l want and need here are a few pics of my first efforts

post-7716-056531100 1292495706_thumb.jpg

post-7716-037051500 1292495772_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mike & John for the kind remarks, l have always enjoyed the building things for my '00' but really if you want a loco or wagon you can just get it off the shelf, not so with '0' as you know if you want something you have to build it, yes and make lots of mistakes along the way, thats the fun bit and the challenge,

l have nearly finished another loco a '02' will post pics when l have it finished, with the '02' it needs lining out in BR mixed traffic, l want to do this by hand with a bow pen, but l've a bit to do yet, problem is photos of you chosen loco, the kit is from Tim Hughes and has all the parts you need to make different versions, the first mistake l have made is making the loco a Push-pull with all the pipe work and looks great, problem is the Push-pulls were only on the I.O.W with an extra coal bunker piece fitted, l used the mainline body with a flush back tender, so l dont know lf l will keep it like this as it looks good to me, Regards georgeT

what l didn't realise was, just how much work there is in building even a small 0-6-0 tank loco

A trap, I think, everyone falls into.

At least the next one should take less time - though I generally find that the scale and complexity or time it takes are completely unrelated.

In progress photos of the next build?

What a cracking model! I have a soft spot for Southern locos especialy the G6, 02, & M7.

Please tell me, where can I get Tim Hughes loco kits from?

Bob

Hi Bob,

Tim Hughes is the owner of Meteor Models

http://www.meteormodels.com/

He does a good smattering of Southern locos amongst his range - well worth a look.

regards

Mike

I have a couple of Heywood coaches in the pile and while they are obviously different, it would be nice to know if the general fit of parts is OK. If you know what I mean.

Hi Rob,

I built one of their Hawksworth Full Brakes some years ago - a good kit apart from the vac formed roof, which was discarded and replaced by a timber one - still have a few lengths in the workshop so oneday, I might have a go at another. They might well have changed the roof spec by now though.

regards

Mike

hello rob, about the heywood kit l found the instructions a bit vague but all in all it was easy to put together with a little bit of filing here and there, the white metal parts needed a bit of work to fit, replaced the buffers with better ones, also there was no cab fittings or boiler so l had to make those myself regards

post-7716-045909600 1292621065_thumb.jpg

Hi George, your G6 is stunning and a credit to you on your first attempt at a brass O gauge kit. I can remember the days when you used to work on Wrenn Bullieds with Albert Goodall fittings and make them look simply wonderful ( I wonder where they all are now?)  The shear weight of a Wrenn model made them special and that I think is reflected in the brass O gauge kit you have built here. It may be small but it's weight makes it feel powerful just holding it. Keep up the good work and post a pic of your 02. All the best Andy.  

Thanks Mike, I believe the roofs in mine are aluminium extrusion (just checked and they are).

Thanks George, that's good to know. You expect a bit of tidying up with etched brass, the problems start when things don't fit and you have to make replacements.

cheers Rob, like everything in life its easy when you are LAID BACK, and dont worry its taken me years to learn it, never do today what you can do tomorrow, with my modelling l get up and set my task for the day, l then get all the gear ready soldering iron on and bang, all goes wrong so l do it tomorrow, you get a better job done without mucking it up, you have a nice day and take it easy regards georgeT

... with my modelling l get up and set my task for the day, l then get all the gear ready soldering iron on and bang, all goes wrong so l do it tomorrow, you get a better job done without mucking it up, you have a nice day and take it easy regards georgeT

I think that's what is called retirement :)

Ha ha ha, not yet Kenton still got six years to go, just had a hard life as the picture tells, l just dont get so wound up these days, and take things at face value, we spend most of our early years building the family, and all the things that go with it, then you discover '0' gauge, then it falls into place, cant wait to retire, work seems to take all my time, so when l get home its time to chill, with some etchings regards

Hi, l have renumbered my G6 to 30349, and gave it a light weathering,and is seen hard at work on (Andrew P)s club layout, this gives the loco a real good run, l think this loco is now finished and l can now start the 02'

post-7716-048729600 1292754522_thumb.jpg

post-7716-083823900 1292754562_thumb.jpg

post-7716-052169600 1292754597_thumb.jpg

Archived