'Dunrobin' to be repatriated

papagolfjuliet

• RMweb Gold

A lovely piece of news for Christmas: after forty-five years in Canada, pretty little Sharp Stewart 0-4-4T 'Dunrobin' and its four wheel saloon have been purchased by Beamish Museum and will be coming home early next year. Details here: http://beamishtransport.blogspot.com/

Great news, because this is a real one-off. Perhaps a minor renaming is in order? Say - Dunroamin?

Ok, ok, the coat is on!

Brilliant news, it is a loco with a very interesting history and will make a lovely addition to the heritage scene. Which brings the returnees of this month up to 3 including the 8Fs,

For those of you interested you can find some limited information here;

http://www.spenbrook...k/dunrobin.html

There is more about there, unfortunately I forgot to bookmark it :(.

m0rris

Best thing for her, not exactly taxing work at Beamish. I wonder if it and the small saloon will become a roving ambassador for both Victorian political power and Beamish. As far as I can make out, it would be possible to recreate this loco in 00 from the Falcon kit for the HR 1P with a different cab.

• RMweb Premium

Best thing for her, not exactly taxing work at Beamish. I wonder if it and the small saloon will become a roving ambassador for both Victorian political power and Beamish. As far as I can make out, it would be possible to recreate this loco in 00 from the Falcon kit for the HR 1P with a different cab.

I was considering making a model of the coach using parts from the Ratio 4-wheelers, mainly the composite and brake third.

• RMweb Premium

I was considering making a model of the coach using parts from the Ratio 4-wheelers, mainly the composite and brake third.

• RMweb Premium

A lovely piece of news for Christmas: after forty-five years in Canada, pretty little Sharp Stewart 0-4-4T 'Dunrobin' and its four wheel saloon have been purchased by Beamish Museum and will be coming home early next year. Details here: http://beamishtransport.blogspot.com/

What a little beauty! Why have I never seen this engine & carriage before? :(

Cheers,

Dave.

I think the LNWR Brake third might be your best bet for the sides on the 4w chassis with the MR clerestory roof. I can't quite figuure out what would be best for the ends.

• RMweb Premium

I think the LNWR Brake third might be your best bet for the sides on the 4w chassis with the MR clerestory roof. I can't quite figuure out what would be best for the ends.

Perhaps you are right about the sides. I was considering scratch building the roof and using pieces cut from the sides for the ends.

Amazingly it travelled under its own steam 745 miles from its home to the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch railway for static display back in 1950. Now that must have been some trip! Imagine the railways letting any old loco travel so far over the network now under its own steam?

Perhaps you are right about the sides. I was considering scratch building the roof and using pieces cut from the sides for the ends.

I'm guessing as the larger one was built at Wolverhampton.

Well, there is a project for Hornby/Bachmann/Dapol /Heljan/Vitrains - one pretty little steam loco and coach.

Suppliers in the UK actually supplying Victorian collectors train packs.. dream on!!!! the nearest is the Terrier, and the new Beattie, but where is the marketing of the proper coaches, or suitable stock in a package?

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

Amazingly it travelled under its own steam 745 miles from its home to the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch railway for static display back in 1950. Now that must have been some trip! Imagine the railways letting any old loco travel so far over the network now under its own steam?

Perhaps even more amazingly, she had at the time not steamed for thirty years; my understanding is that she was simply lit up after three decades in her shed and driven to Kent.

Perhaps even more amazingly, she had at the time not steamed for thirty years; my understanding is that she was simply lit up after three decades in her shed and driven to Kent.

I'm sure I read she was used during ww2 but I may be thinking ww1. The Duke had running powers up to 31st of December inclusive so he must have used it uptil then. She also lay at Helmsdale for a couple of years till purchase. Why she wasn't taken into capital stock, I don't know. She could have joined the 1Ps on Dornoch services or worked as a station pilot.

Great News. I hope that Beamish will let her out occasionally. It would be great to see her up at Aviemore.

My thoughts exactly but no suitable sets (a mk1 set at about 6 and 4 mk2s). At best it can run with the LMS saloon. Of course we could go and restore some 4 wheelers :lol: .

• RMweb Premium

My thoughts exactly but no suitable sets (a mk1 set at about 6 and 4 mk2s). At best it can run with the LMS saloon. Of course we could go and restore some 4 wheelers :lol: .

The Duke of Sutherland had a large bogie saloon that replaced the four wheeler, then it was found that the bogie saloon rode better with the four wheeler attached to the rear. The bogie saloon is now in the NRM, IIRC it was used in the royal train.

Archived