Next batch of Class 70's

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=303221&nseq=30

Found this picture of 4 new class 73 in Ohio.

PS please feel free to post any other calss 73 pictures

*I have no affiliation with the photographer or the website.

They are the new Class 70 not Class 73

wow, these will not win any beauty awards, some of the most ugliest locos ever built.

They are the new Class 70 not Class 73

wow, these will not win any beauty awards, some of the most ugliest locos ever built.

Whoops, i must be thinking too much of 73's.

As far as looks go, the front gives me the odd feeling that it is molded out of clay and if someone wanted they could remold it.

I've spotted why I don't like them! The front is ok, but the reason, is unlike all of the other 'british' trains, the ugly duckling has loads of sticky out bits! For example, the light clusters stick out, and why the hell is there a ridgid edge on them? Also, the head lamp and horn grills, that sticks out like a circle on a square! lol Oh well.... may I ask which two landed in the UK? Its probably 005 and 006....

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

This is good news for Freightliner fans! They've arrived at last.

Personally, and no accounting for taste I really like these locos, though one thing that does strike me is that the front,with all of those ridges, grooves and sticky out bits is going to get really mucky. Could be a weathering challenge.

Hopefully Bachmann will come up with goods soon!

Thanks, Mark

I've spotted why I don't like them! The front is ok, but the reason, is unlike all of the other 'british' trains, the ugly duckling has loads of sticky out bits! For example, the light clusters stick out, and why the hell is there a ridgid edge on them? Also, the head lamp and horn grills, that sticks out like a circle on a square! lol Oh well.... may I ask which two landed in the UK? Its probably 005 and 006....

The ridges onthe light clusters are an anti climb device to prevent the wagons riding up and onto the loco in the event of a collision. However for them to work surely the wagons too must be fitted with anti climb devices?

Must admit i am not keen ont look - they look like characters from 'underground ernie' - but it will grow on me.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

They look much better in the "head on" shot.

My feeling is that it's the protruding sections on the lower sides of the cab front that spoil the front end. Without these, I think they'd be much easier on the eye.

I also think the sweeping curves of the livery do the locos few favours when the design is (rightly) so functional in appearance.

cheers

Ben A.

What are you saying I don't understand what you meant by ED?

This thread was wrongly titled as Class 73. This was a class of Electro-Diesel locomotives which could take power from the third rail DC network, and also had a small diesel on board for running in sidings and on non-electrified routes. A few are still running on the network with quite a few more in preservation.

Hi folks,

They look much better in the "head on" shot.

My feeling is that it's the protruding sections on the lower sides of the cab front that spoil the front end. Without these, I think they'd be much easier on the eye.

I also think the sweeping curves of the livery do the locos few favours when the design is (rightly) so functional in appearance.

cheers

Ben A.

if they made the space between the head lights flush and the grills like a small car (hood) bonnet, it would look better.

This thread was wrongly titled as Class 73. This was a class of Electro-Diesel locomotives which could take power from the third rail DC network, and also had a small diesel on board for running in sidings and on non-electrified routes. A few are still running on the network with quite a few more in preservation.

thanks for explaining.

It is going to be interesting to see one in the day light, I am afraid that it to Americanised for me.

Terry.

oh no you didn't, it looks nothing like an American, it looks like a messed up export, which it is.