Next batch of Class 70's

• RMweb Premium

You are very welcome.

All of the 8 mentioned in the previous post were on Midland Road earlier either having repairs, awaiting parts for repairs or undergoing routine exams and maintenance. To my knowledge all of the modifications have been completed on the Freightliner Class 70 fleet.

Yes just recently 70002, 70006, 70010, 70011, 70013, 70014, 70015 and 70016 have all been transferred from the DFGH Heavy Haul pool to the DFGI Intermodal pool. This just leaves 70003, 70004 and 70005 in the Heavy Haul pool, of which currently all three are out of service at Basford Hall and Midland Road respectively.

For anyone wanting any of the Freightliner 70s for sight or for photos Leeds Midland Road is currently the place to be.

70004, 70005, 70006, 70007, 70013, 70015, 70018, 70020 according to TOPS were present on the depot at 06:00 this morning. So that's 8 in total, 9 if you include 70008 working to Leeds FLT.

At 15:40 I sighted 70005, 70006, 70013 and 70015 from a passing train and two more were in the new sidings next to the wheel lathe shed.

66416 in it's recently applied Powerhaul livery was also present.

Hope this helps.

Did you not spot a certain green class 03, from the NRM.

Twas there on Friday.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just to add (even if it is slightly off topic) I passed Midland Road last Monday (21st December) and there was a Freightliner 66 with no numbers on the side. I am assuming it is 66530 which is now Poland bound.

The Freightliner and Colas Class 70s all seem to very busy and the majority only seem to be out of traffic when under repair, maintenance and when having exams. Whereas the Freightliner 66 fleet seem to be sidelined even when not under repair.

Don't forget Freightliner did take on the ex DRS batch 66411-66420. 411, 412 and 417 are all already in Poland but this does leave seven additional Freightliner 66s in the UK. What with a downturn in coal traffic also throughout the majority of FOCs this is bound to leave some sidelined with no work.

It was the same a few years ago when Freightliner stored 66507 and 66526 which are both Heavy Haul registered 66s. This was because of a downturn in coal traffic and both were duly stored at Midland Road. This way the operator saves money because they aren't running on the main line. This could also be related to why Freightliner are exporting more 66s to Poland. Why pay for them to be registered on the mainline over here in the UK when they are not required for as much, if any work at all when they could be supporting Freightliner abroad?

It will be interesting to see if anymore after 66530 go to Poland and what pool they come from.

If from Heavy Haul it would suggest it is because of a downturn in coal traffic. If from the intermodal pool it would suggest that the sixteen strong DFGI registered Class 70s and remaining 66s are capable of supporting the intermodal division within the UK.

It's being reported on a couple of gen sites that Colas has ordered a further 7 new class 70s.

That Colas might have a need to augment their loco. pool is no surprise. They have been adding to their portfolio of haulage contracts  - recently displacing DB on most of the Inneos (ex-BP) work out of Grangemouth,for example. And they are being tipped widely to be on the point of taking over from FHH on the cement traffic out of Oxwellmains (typically 2 trains a day).

DR

Edited by Lochinvar

• RMweb Premium

With the DFGI (Intermodal) registered Freightliner 70s and Intermodal registered Freightliner 66s I think it just depends on the availability.

The Freightliner Class 66 fleet are going through heavy G Exams and are requiring repaints and new LED lights fitting. This has already been done to a number of 66/5s the repaints to the cab ends more than the lighting though. Consequently this means that these locos will be out of service for a long period of time typically at Midland Road. This means that they aren't available for traffic, meaning that another 66 or 70 has to be drafted in. I suspect this is why the Leeds FLT intermodal trains have reverted to the majority been Class 70 operated. I would say 80% of the time the 4O54 and 4O55 trains off Leeds FLT to Southampton are Class 70 hauled but sometimes can be Class 66 hauled when out of traffic for repairs, maintenance and exams.

At the moment I think it just depends on what is available as to what works what.

In recent weeks 70001 and 70010 both DFGI/Intermodal Class 70s were working coal trains off of Stoke Grifford. You normally wouldn't see that but with Heavy Haul 66s out of traffic it's just about making use of what's available from what I can see.

Some of the Southampton trains have been increased in length since the 70s came along, 4M99 for one. When they were newer it was regular for one 70 to do Wentloog and back in the day the drop onto M99 in the evening. Not sure if it still happens now there's more of them.

As for the timing loads, that'll be based on the maximum permissible load. Just because a train is timed at that, it doesn't mean it'll load to it. A 70 with 1235 tons will perform similarly to a 66 with a lesser load. It's noticeable there are two paths from Wentloog, 4O70 has the train passing Wootton Bassett a good 25 or so mins earlier than 4O51, a clear indicator of the extra grunt of the 70 at work on what is quite a short train. Faster acceleration means it doesn't need to be looped as often, hence accelerates less often away from stops, this virtuous circle giving the improved timings

Jo

Thanks for the info guys.

Soton MCT seems to be working to capacity at the moment, with trains having to wait entry, eg RT at Soton Central, but an hour late at Maritime.

Sometimes it's difficult to work out which container terminal is being used on Realtime Trains, as that system seems to use the abbreviation MCT for either Maritime Container Terminal or Millbrook Container Terminal.

• RMweb Premium

If you want to you could buy Freightlocate. It's £25 per year but it's fantastic.

If you enter Southampton MCT it brings up the trains that are travelling into and out of Southampton Maritime.

If you enter Millbrook Hants FLT it brings up the trains that are travelling into and out of Millbrook.

So on a Freightlocate there is a clear difference between the two. This allows separate pages of results to be displayed depending upon the location entered. This way you will be two separate the trains going into and out of the two different locations.

Maritime has many freight trains listed as runners for today, all of which are Freightliner. These tend to be Freightliner Class 66 and Class 70 operated.

Millbrook has 4E01, 4M55 and 4M04 listed as runners for today, all of which are Freightliner operated. These three trains tend to be Freightliner Class 66 operated.

So Maritime is the place to be for 70s on the intermodal trains.

Passing Midland Road tonight I saw three Freightliner Class 70s. Four are currently there, these been 70003, 015, 017 and 019.

Two 70's from yesterday the first was 70018 photo taken at Acton Bridge with a Garston Container Terminal in Liverpool to Crewe Basford Hall.

post-25512-0-65496100-1450988106_thumb.jpg

With a 30 minute gap in the timetable and my 5 year old son starting to ask when we were going home because it was cold we had a 10 minute drive to the next station south on the WCML which was Hartford.  Never been here before, the station is in a deep cutting which makes photos a challenge at this time of year.  Here 70007 was in charge of the Felixstowe to Ditton train.  Would have preferred the photo to be on the other platform off the footbridge but that would have made the photo even darker!

post-25512-0-67415100-1450988320_thumb.jpg

Not the best photos as photography for a novice like me is such a challenge, especially this time of year with either overcast skies or clear with low sun.  Plus the trains are usually travelling at maximum speed through these two stations.

Have a good Christmas everyone!!

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

There is a Freightliner class 70 currently working the Daventry to Coatbridge container trains.  Here is 70004 passing Golborne (between Warrington and Wigan) on the WCML at 14:53.  Nice to see a 70 closer to home rather that having to go to Acton Bridge.  I missed the morning working by a couple of minutes at Winwick Junction when the weather was a lot better than this afternoon.  I don't know how long 70's are going to be used. 

post-25512-0-04128700-1456420580_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...