Next batch of Class 70's

• RMweb Gold

Running a couple of minutes early on 28th May 2020 and now catching up the preceding Northern service (2I09 09.54 Wigan North Western to Leeds), Colas 70814 rumbles slowly through Brighouse with 6E32 10.05, Colas Ribble Rail to Lindsey Oil Refinery, discharged bitumen tanks.

23337699_708146E32Brighouse28052020-RMweb.jpg.e6eb27ee531197b723e3412da137eee3.jpg  

• Like 11

70812 at Llanfairpwll waiting for the off...

20200531_221846.jpg.15c640344801edea8e617eba52e0db6b.jpg

To note, 70802 was also down today sporting new Colas logos. Last weekend it was down and had the original logos (as can be seen in my previous post). 812 was missing cabside branding today. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, smithlington smithe said:

6e32 Colas Ribble Rail to Lindsey oil refinery return empties with 70811 at the helm this morning at Hapton station at 1058 

cheers 

David 

Looks likely that Colas 70811 will be on 6M32/6E32 anytime that it runs this week.  Here it is on 2nd June 2020 working 6E32, rumbling along just east of Brighouse.

886182346_708116E32Brighouse02062020-RMweb.jpg.b2f483b66906192d980cd96ff047fbfe.jpg

• Like 12

22 minutes ago, Owd Bob said:

Very nice David, the loco' looks quite clean and smart in those pics':) One day i might see one myself in real life.:D

Thank you Bob,yes it’s certainly one of the cleaner ones I’ve seen recently,it’s also got old and new colas logos on the cab sides,they must have ran out :lol:and I do hope you see one soon,might have more of a chance if freightliner had more in traffic.:rolleyes: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Quite audible from a distance away

Despite their awkward quirks and unusual looks, 70s do sound good, especially on a heavy load! A driver the other day told me he often opens the door going through tunnels for the sound!

Jo

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Steadfast said:

Despite their awkward quirks and unusual looks, 70s do sound good, especially on a heavy load! A driver the other day told me he often opens the door going through tunnels for the sound!

Jo

I'll try and get one on video soon.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

I'll try and get one on video soon.

And just as I’ve read this post one has gone past my house on the chester line (about 1/2 mile away in a straight line) heading for shotton sounding mighty impressive 

I do miss driving them, not had one for 18 months on the mainline, they are still on my traction card as I sometimes get to  start them up and drive them around the yard at bescot which I can count as a refresh 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Steadfast said:

unusual looks

I think they look great in Colas livery. I used to have a FL powerhaul one and I didn't like that as much.

If somebody wants a new freight loco for over here now is it the only design already done that's good to go? I know EU 66s are getting imported as the 66 no longer complies with emissions or crash worthiness and so they can't make any more as far as I am aware?

• Like 1

8-7-'20. Saw my first 70 today...cough! splutter! 70 803 was a noisy rattly thing that was sat under Taylors Ln. bridge at Springs Branch Wigan for a good half hour belching out blue smoke.  Awkward place to get my first pic's of one between all the wires and posts. :)

DSC04465_(2).JPG

DSC04467_(3).JPG

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Owd Bob said:

8-7-'20. Saw my first 70 today...cough! splutter! 70 803 was a noisy rattly thing that was sat under Taylors Ln. bridge at Springs Branch Wigan for a good half hour belching out blue smoke.  Awkward place to get my first pic's of one between all the wires and posts. :)

Congratulations @Owd Bob :yahoo_mini:They do idle very rough,I think they actually run on less cylinders when idling to save fuel.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1