Next batch of Class 70's

• RMweb Premium

IIRC it was dropped  by the ships cranes.  I'm not sure what part failed but it was at one end of the loco when it was still within the ship and one end hit the deck rather hard with the other end still attached to the crane.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

What's the low-loader the 70 is resting on?  Compared to others I have seen used to transport rail equipment it seems to have a ludicrously small number of wheels.  Unless the locomotive is exceptionally light, or hollow?

cheers

Ben A.

I'd suggest because it's used on private land only (the boat and the dockside) that axle loading limits that apply on the highway aren't a consideration here. As they're leaving by rail, the trailer is only really needed for putting them on the ship. Th trailer has ACL branding, so is owned by the shipper.

jo

Edited by ewsjo

• RMweb Premium

Hello all,

What's the low-loader the 70 is resting on?  Compared to others I have seen used to transport rail equipment it seems to have a ludicrously small number of wheels.  Unless the locomotive is exceptionally light, or hollow?

cheers

Ben A.

Those are special flats they use in the yard, they wont be travelling out on the road on that trailer!

There's a name for them but I cant remember what it is.

The 2 A4's brought back from the states used them also and were trans shipped again onto proper road trailers.

In the case with the Fugly's, they'le just be dropped (pun not intended) straight onto the railway.

• RMweb Gold

Even if they did the froth being generated would put it out.

Stewart

The froth reached fever pitch yesterday, ranging from "they are moving now to Washwood Heath / Rugby / Cardiff / Newport (?)" to "They are being taken by low loader to Rugby / Washwood Heath / Cardiff" (delete as appropriate).

I hope Big Jim has a bath before he works them as there's going to be photographers everywhere - unless it's cloudy when there will only be the usual few, and it it's raining even fewer - wonder what "trains are more fun in the sun" magazines will do then. Oh I remember, publish over processed images trying to make a sunny day out of a dull one.

Must dash as I've got to get my tent set up on Derby Road to claim my space ready for whenever they move.

Those are special flats they use in the yard, they wont be travelling out on the road on that trailer!

There's a name for them but I cant remember what it is.

The 2 A4's brought back from the states used them also and were trans shipped again onto proper road trailers.

In the case with the Fugly's, they'le just be dropped (pun not intended) straight onto the railway.

As were the rather banana shaped remains of 70012 when it was shipped back to the USA last year.

The locos 70802/4 should be on one of these two voyages:
(Remember that the rough weather on land and sea can cause delays of a day or more!)

ATLANTIC COMPANION
Voyage No 3201/4301013A 12
04-JAN Norfolk
05-JAN NYC
07-JAN Halifax
15-JAN Liverpool

ATLANTIC CONVEYOR
Voyage No 4202/4302013A 12
12-JAN Norfolk
13-JAN NYC
15-JAN Halifax
22-JAN Liverpool

• RMweb Premium

The locos 70802/4 should be on one of these two voyages:
(Remember that the rough weather on land and sea can cause delays of a day or more!)

70804 is on the move.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=464996&nseq=9

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=464995&nseq=1

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Hi Mick

Those pictures taken today indicate the loco in Virginia, near Washington......so it wont be on the first ship I mentioned.

Do you know where the first two were loaded onto the ship, I thought it was Halifax??.....and where this one might be heading to be loaded.

So no news of 70802...???

Bob

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick

Those pictures taken today indicate the loco in Virginia, near Washington......so it wont be on the first ship I mentioned.

Do you know where the first two were loaded onto the ship, I thought it was Halifax??.....and where this one might be heading to be loaded.

So no news of 70802...???

Bob

I think that 803 and 805 were loaded at Baltimore and the ship then called at Halifax.   If Baltimore is used again then a routing via Virginia isn't too far out of the way.

Jamie