Next batch of Class 70's

• RMweb Premium

68002 left Southampton Eastern Docks by road yesterday evening according to one of the Yahoo gen groups.

Will be cool to see the 68 on the rails. But it is a shame the colas 70s are just sitting there.

• RMweb Premium

Will be cool to see the 68 on the rails. But it is a shame the colas 70s are just sitting there.

70804 is on it's way by ship - Atlantic Conveyor due 29th Jan I think. It's likely that all three will move from Liverpool at the same time.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

70804 is on it's way by ship - Atlantic Conveyor due 29th Jan I think. It's likely that all three will move from Liverpool at the same time.

Cheers,

Mick

I can kinda understand the logic of waiting for the third to move three in one go. Still seems a shame they're stuck in the dock when they could be out on the network doing the job they were designed for. Plus it's gotta be costing colas to store them there plus insurance costs etc.

• RMweb Premium

I am informed that 70803 is to be named "Great Eastern", and 70805 to be named "Titanic".

Apparently all to do with these ships famous and long association with Liverpool.........as with the locos.

Perhaps with a name like that they'll employ 805 on icebreaking duties in the winter when tunnels have been closed over Christmas, of course Great Eastern was broken up on Mereseyside.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

speaking to someone in basford hall the other day, the freightliner 70s will be getting the extra cooling fan mod too

This might be a stupid question/quote to say, but why are Freightliner doing the modifications when they haven't been proven to work. Colas Rail have done the extra cooling fans to their 70's but they haven't tested them yet on any working. They have 2 loco's sat at the dock in Liverpool, 1 in transit and others on order but none with the mods have worked a series of working and the results say that they do reduce the risk of a fire.

Mathew

• RMweb Gold

This might be a stupid question/quote to say, but why are Freightliner doing the modifications when they haven't been proven to work. Colas Rail have done the extra cooling fans to their 70's but they haven't tested them yet on any working. They have 2 loco's sat at the dock in Liverpool, 1 in transit and others on order but none with the mods have worked a series of working and the results say that they do reduce the risk of a fire.

Mathew

Hi Mathew

Perhaps GE were working on a fix for Freightliner already, and the Colas order came out of the blue?  I guess the designers were reasonably confident the fan would be effective to add it to the new-build locomotives too.

Apart from the occasional "hot" event, can anyone report generally on how the performance of the 70s compares with other locomotives?

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Apart from the occasional "hot" event, can anyone report generally on how the performance of the 70s compares with other locomotives?

Certainly when passing my house (1 in 120 grade) on a 2000Te coal train, the 70 is moving faster than a 66. And they sound better!

Atlantic Compass carrying 70804 is just arriving at Liverpool.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1