London-based layouts

Dicky W

Hello everyone

I need some images (and a small write up) of layouts that have been based on the London area, whether by rolling stock or scenery, preferably in the post-steam to pre-privatisation period. I'm thinking along the lines of Grahame Hedges' Stoney Lane depot. If you have such a layout, can you email me a few hi-res photos and a suitable write-up please for a Traction Modelling London special I'm working on?

Many thanks in advance

Richard

Email: richardw@warnersgroup.co.uk

Hi Richard,

You might find some useful pictures in my gallery. Click the link on the bottom of my signature.. Myself and a couple of friends specialize in London modelling. There are pictures of the current layout under construction, plus previous layouts and home layouts based on London's railways.

Hi Richard

Probably a bit too 'under construction' but I'm working on a North London / Ex-GER theme on 'Empire Basin' see my blog and more pictures and here

if you want some words let me know.

David Barham

Just a heads-up for those who, like me, don't like the blog format and tend not to look at them-this one is well worth looking at!

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Just a heads-up for those who, like me, don't like the blog format and tend not to look at them-this one is well worth looking at!

Thanks - you are quite right. Many London railways (NLL, ELL, SLL, LT&S etc) had endless viaducts like these, so it really is London Modelling. Lots of promise here.

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

I need some images (and a small write up) of layouts that have been based on the London area, whether by rolling stock or scenery, preferably in the post-steam to pre-privatisation period. I'm thinking along the lines of Grahame Hedges' Stoney Lane depot. If you have such a layout, can you email me a few hi-res photos and a suitable write-up please for a Traction Modelling London special I'm working on?

Richard

Have you been in contact with Grahame? He is a member of this forum and Stoney Lane Depot would sound ideal.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Premium

Hi Richard

Probably a bit too 'under construction' but I'm working on a North London / Ex-GER theme on 'Empire Basin' see my blog and more pictures and here

if you want some words let me know.

David Barham

David, Your layout is fantastic, and just what I have been looking for in terms of inspiration. Keep up the good work.

I'm hoping to do similar, but for ficticious Westy of London late GWR. That would allow me to run my 9707 tank with meat vans for Faringdon and Smithfield, as well as milk traffic, lots of coal inbounds from the Valleys, a brewery with a nod toward the old Park Lane brewery, and have an upper level for some roundy roundy parcels and expresses into Paddington.

Try Ripper street from the Thames Valley DEMU. Abbey Road is great if you like the underground going overground. ;)

The original Ripper Street no longer exists ( I understand from my colleagues on the original project that a Ripper Street MK 2 will be built some time in the future) however I wrote the article for the May 2008 Railway Modeller and the copyright for those photos is held by the Railway Modeller. There are many other photos of the layout a few with the copyright held by Ian Mandelson and many of varying quality taken by me. The other guys who were involved with this project have photos as well.

If you wish to consider Ripper Street for Traction Magazine please PM me.

Xerces Fobe

Update new previously unseen footage of Ripper Street in action " Ripper Street Remembered" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDYPGYdXsg0

I say - that's a trifle drastic, isn't it? I do hope you did a full asset survey & strip before committing it to the flames?

As Nigel's mentioned there is plans afoot for a new Ripper Street and everything that was worth keeping has been carefully removed and stashed away. To be honest, all that was left was some rather ropey trackwork and aging baseboards so it was given a full viking funeral rather than slowly rotting away somewhere. I guess you could say it lived fast, died young and left a beautiful corpse. I'll stick up some photo of RS2 and it's associated bits as and when.

Pix

Archived