Hornby 2011 Announcements

Andy Y

...just not sure they would need or want an English graduate ...

Don't rule yourself out: if you can read for comprehension, and then act effectively using that information, then you can work in a manufacturing function. I made a good production shift supervisor out of a Theology graduate. With a doctrine of policy documents, and a liturgy of work process instructions, she was all set. Running her ragged reduced risk of a reformation...

Might be a very simple answer in the licensing costs charged to Hornby of the prototype company brands.

..or it could be the difference between 2011 produced items and models produced last year, or the year before, that are still in the catalogue as stocks are still lingering in the warehouse or on dealers shelves.

The higher priced models appear to be the next production runs in some cases, but not others.

There are plenty of such pricing anomalies in the 2011 range, for example.....

Class 31 - (all DCC ready- not fitted)

R2420A - £105.18 - (BR Green)

R2413B - £133.25 - (BR Blue)

R2754 - £76.59 - (BR Railfreight)

R2753 - £74.99 - (BR Sub-Sector)

R2649 - £104.33 - (BR Blue)

R3044 - £133.25 - (Network Rail Yellow) New 2011

R2963 - £133.25 - (BR Regional Railways) New 2011

R2571 - £97.02 - (BR Blue)

Class 66 - Old Limby model (all DCC ready - not fitted)

R2652 - £75.73 - (GBRf old livery)

R3076 - £60.49 - (GBRf new livery) New 2011

R2650 - £77.48 - (Medite)

R3042 - £60.49 - (Colas Rail)

R2954 - £54.99 - (Advenza Freight) New 2011

Class 60 - (all DCC ready - not fitted)

R2747 - £113.21 - (BR Sub-Sector)

R2640 - £104.33 - (BR Sub-Sector)

R2577 - £97.02 - (Mainline)

R3057 - £127.99 - (British Steel) New 2011

• RMweb Premium

If Hornby put out a recruitment drive for people in Britain, I'd be there in a flash...

...just not sure they would need or want an English graduate, mind :(

I also offer- i could do their costings!

Guest dilbert

I also offer- i could do their costings!

Job is already taken in China - now should they need some help in product pricing I think there would be a rush of applicants - starting here... dilbert :P

Guest Max Stafford

In about ten years when the upcoming economies have a reached a standard of living equivalent to what G8 economies have enjoyed, we will have a large unskilled, poorly educated workforce which will be perfect for low wage factory work again...

Dave.

Max Stafford :

In about ten years when the upcoming economies have a reached a standard of living equivalent to what G8 economies have enjoyed, we will have a large unskilled, poorly educated workforce which will be perfect for low wage factory work again...

You've worked it out Dave...:good_mini: :D

What about Africa? I can see in the more stable countries a similar thing to China and India starting to develop.

I was given a Dawes bike as my retirement gift and it was made in Cambodia. It looks as though companies are going further and further East to look for cheap labour. I wonder how long it will be before they reach Britain? :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For how long have the WCRC ex-Manchester Pullmans been Mk2d coaches...?

Just thinking............................. (four months on).

Did Hornby get the WCRC ex Manchester Pullmans mixed up with the Northern Belle examples? Not sure if the latter are Mk2d, 2e or 2f but at least the Hornby model would then be semi credible in a Northern Belle guise (minus the names).

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hattons and numerous other retailers. Hornby seem to have had an unblocking of the supply line this week! While IC aircons are probably going to be welcomed by many it's a shame in some ways that they are still basically the old Airfix / Dapol moulding with little if any refinement. The pricing simply reflects the recent global situation.

• RMweb Gold

While IC aircons are probably going to be welcomed by many it's a shame in some ways that they are still basically the old Airfix / Dapol moulding with little if any refinement.

Kernow have pics of the mk2D brake on their site. Is this right??? http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/images/prod_33233_1243.jpg Shouldn't the 'INTERCITY' be between the double doors and the guards door?

• RMweb Premium

Indeed it should and that appears to be an image of the actual item. Hattons show the computer stock image of the other side with the branding correctly placed and looking to be a better size as well. It probably rubs off easily enough for those that want something a little more accurate.

Just checked on E-Hotties and the black 'uns with their charming 'Empty to Appleby Slag Heap' exhortation are my poison; easiest retro-pack into plain old Engineers' black I reckon. Perfect to complement the Borders DCE fleet circa '68 :angel:

• 2 weeks later...

Following an enquiry from a customer, may I offer the following information from the Hornby trade website.

Both versions of the 4F (LMS and BR) are shown as estimated to arrive at Margate on December 19th, so they may not make Christmas in the shops.

Also worthy of note is that the BR version is shown as closed to further trade orders, so I presume that this model is already sold through from Hornby to the model shops, which would suggest that if you want one, reserve one with your local model shop.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Belgian

We were told - and I guess I'm OK to quote it - that "modern image is alive and well at Hornby" but the wait will be a bit longer yet.

CHRIS LEIGH

So is Tuesday 03.01.12 going to be the proof of the pudding?

Judging by the comments in the 2012 thread that may have happened, but it wasn't such a good pudding according to the 'modern-modellers' . . . will they continue waiting?

Archived