Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Christmas Quiz

Andy Y

20 minutes to do puzzle, then just confused.

Frankly, by the end of this quiz I'll be dead chuffed just to have worked out one answer, (or even worked out what the link is between the question and answer once the solution is announced! ).

Sir, you have a twisted, evil mind!!! :D

• RMweb Premium

Day 3 answer

There's a bit of Shakespeare at his patriotic best in Richard II, the speech being made by John of Gaunt.

On the roof of the station you may just be able to make out the number 70012, Britannia Class 'John of Gaunt'.

On the chimney you may also be able to make out the number 87 013 which was again 'John O' Gaunt.

The picture is of John O'Gaunt Station (GN/LNW Joint), 6 miles south of Melton Mowbray.

Congratulations to Western Sunset, Dave F and Nick Holliday for taking 1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively.

The leader board as it stands after 3 days is:

6pts - Dave47549

3pts - Western Sunset

2pts - jwealleans

2pts - swampy

2pts - Nick Holliday

2pts - DaveF

I did get the LNWR & Shakespeare links, then I fell into a hole.

Looking at one web page for John O'Gaunt station, where a lady employee remembers a single consignment of horses being over 50,000 pounds. Must of been decent horses for the period 1942-49.

Also 8,000 gallons of milk a day, must of filled a few churns, OK they were tankers by then.

So perhaps not many passengers, but good money, I think.

Kevin Martin

First of all an update to the leaderboard after day 4

7pts - Dave47549

5pts - jwealleans

4pts - DaveF

3pts - Western Sunset

2pts - swampy

2pts - Nick Holliday

Day 4's puzzle was amother jigsaw showing a family tomb; that of the Peacock family showing the names of Joseph and Ralph, sons of Hannah and Richard Peacock. Richard Peacock became the locomotive superindent and Driver No.1 of the Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway. In 1853 Richard Peacock along with Charles Beyer founded Beyer-Peacock whose works were at Gorton, Manchester. The family tomb is in the churchyard of Brookfield Unitarian Church in Gorton.

Every night as a kid I used to poke the fire with a poker made on the quiet by my grandfather in the aforementioned works, where it ended up I do not know but I can still feel it's familar weight. Sad to say I never met my grandfather but he fired on the Woodhead route, my father was a clerk at Godley Junction just before the war so you'll have to forgive my personal indulgences on this clue. :)

Mrs PT is asking for the next jigsaw puzzle :unsure:

Probably tomorrow! Day 6 clue will be during the afternoon as we've got guests tomorrow night and they may be offended if I keep disappearing onto here to wind you lot up. :)

Day 5's clue will follow shortly.

Guest Belgian

First of all an update to the leaderboard after day 4

7pts - Dave47549

5pts - jwealleans

4pts - DaveF

3pts - Western Sunset

2pts - swampy

2pts - Nick Holliday

Day 4's puzzle was amother jigsaw showing a family tomb; that of the Peacock family showing the names of Joseph and Ralph, sons of Hannah and Richard Peacock. Richard Peacock became the locomotive superindent and Driver No.1 of the Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway. In 1853 Richard Peacock along with Charles Beyer founded Beyer-Peacock whose works were at Gorton, Manchester. The family tomb is in the churchyard of Brookfield Unitarian Church in Gorton.

Every night as a kid I used to poke the fire with a poker made on the quiet by my grandfather in the aforementioned works, where it ended up I do not know but I can still feel it's familar weight. Sad to say I never met my grandfather but he fired on the Woodhead route, my father was a clerk at Godley Junction just before the war so you'll have to forgive my personal indulgences on this clue. :)

So, presumably, the answer is Gorton?

JE

Day 5 - supplementary clue

No-one's got anywhere close to tonight's Question so I'll give another clue to the same location and re-open the question to anyone who's already entered.

puz1.gif

puz2.gif

provided by flash-gear.com

Sorry for the delay; had to dash out.

1st, 2nd and 3rd have now gone (and been notified). There were some nearly guesses in there but 3 did get the exact answer. All will be revealed tomorrow. :)

Tomorrow's clue will be in the afternoon.

Sorry for the delay; had to dash out.

1st, 2nd and 3rd have now gone (and been notified). There were some nearly guesses in there but 3 did get the exact answer. All will be revealed tomorrow. :)

Tomorrow's clue will be in the afternoon.

Thank goodness for that I can go to bed, I have cracked the jigsaw, it took three attempts! I have looked at that black van from all angles, I've studies a map of English railways using the same colours as the jigsaw, but cannot find anything resembling that.............I have no idea

Goodnight all

And the vehicle clue seems to have an element of ruddy fish about it as well.

It's a very literal but cryptic clue. ;) Hopefully those that found the answer will have seen the significance of that clue by now.

Thank goodness for that I can go to bed, I have cracked the jigsaw, it took three attempts! I have looked at that black van from all angles, I've studies a map of English railways using the same colours as the jigsaw, but cannot find anything resembling that.............I have no idea

Goodnight all

It was a Welsh Railway.

Archived