SRman

Falcon Lane could be a goer. It is apt in another sense: I still own, and occasionally drive, a 1973 (Australian) Ford Falcon hardtop (two door coupe, in English!). 

Falcon Road.

Falcon Bridge.

Falcon Park.

Falcon Wood.

Just trying a few variations for size! I don't think I can use "junction" as I don't have a 'proper' junction, although I do have that siding pseudo single-track branch line running off the Underground lines. Hmmm. More food for thought.

Falcon Junction would also make me think of Eagle Junction on the Brisbane suburban lines. It does trip off the tongue easily. So does Falcon Wood, although I was going to name the small woodland tract Newton Wood after my good friend Doug, who did the baseboard timber work for me.

Edit: trying to use a perfectly valid English word c-u-m between the words 'siding' and 'pseudo' but the stupid language checker keeps blanking it out. It is not a rude word in this context but the automatic fixer-upperer doesn't care about that!  :scratchhead:

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Premium

Falconwood (as one word) already exists on the SE suburban network Bexleyheath line.

Falcon Junction also exists; the point at which the Brighton and West London Lines meet / diverge in the vicinity of Clapham Junction station.

Mention of Eagle Junction in Brisbane also reminds me that Faulconbridge (with the u and again as a single word) exists on the Sydney network (Blue Mountains line).

A few more thoughts for you ;)

• Like 2

1973 Falcon... XA or XB ? I'd hang on to the old girl. Will be worth a pretty penny soon, especially if she is in good nic !!

Anyway, getting away from the subject... How about 'Faulcon Green' or 'Faulcon Green South'

Cheers, Gary.

• Like 2

Falcon (or Faulcon) Green sounds good.- I hadn't thought of that one.

The XB Falcon is in good nick although its paintwork isn't. It does have 'character' though! :D I bought it in 1985 for spare parts for $150, It turned out to be in better condition than anyone had thought, spent a few thousand on it over the years but it is now worth more than I have spent on it (not counting 28 years worth of normal servicing costs and registration, etc as they would apply to any car, rare or not!). It is that rare thing: a car that is appreciating in value now.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

Sounds like an Ealing comedy, not that there's anything comical about your layouts Andy.

(The Lavender Hill Mob, for those not old enough)

Ray.

Thinking of Ealing comedy's reminded me when I was very young and starting my first job, I used to get the mainline train for Padington from Hayes & Harlington and jumping off at Ealing Broadway to get the district line underground (which terminated at Ealing broadway) on the adjacent platform to Acton.

Have you thought about incorporating 'Broadway' as part of the name. Not commonly used for layouts I believe (at least I can't think of any).

Ray

• Like 1

I have just been composing some LT roundel station signs in Word. I'll print them out on glossy photographic paper to represent enamel signs. I have tried Arial Bold and Gill Sans MT bold as being reasonably presentable representations of the LT signage - I'll decide after printing which is better.

The LT bullseyes are made from two filled circles, the bottom layer 13mm in diameter in red and the upper 8mm diameter one in white with the border also changed to white. These were then centred then grouped.

A dark blue edged and filled rectangle, 20mm by 4mm, was overlaid on that, centred and grouped.

Finally, a text box was created and set with a clear background (the border was also changed to no colour but after I had positioned it - this allowed me to see what I was doing!). The text was typed in, centred and turned to white after dragging the text box over the blue rectangle. Font size was set to 5 point, except for the Gill Sans Newton Broadway which had to be reduced to 4.5 points.

Just for the record, for anyone who hasn't realised it, font size in Word can be selected down to 8 points but you can actually type in a number and hit 'Enter' to get it down to whatever size you want, within reason.

Hedging my bets, I have made sixteen of each of the names Newton Broadway, Newton Green, Newton Road, Newton Bridge, Newton Wood (actually a real place near Epsom!), Newton Lane and Newton Park, half with Arial bold and half with Gill Sans bold.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Gold

Hedging my bets, I have made sixteen of each of the names Newton Broadway, Newton Green, Newton Road, Newton Bridge, Newton Wood (actually a real place near Epsom!), Newton Lane and Newton Park.

In 1966 I spent a few weeks "going out" with a classmate who lived at 13 Newton Wood Road, Ashtead - the one you refer to, I'm sure. Her house backed onto the line between Ashtead and Epsom.

• Like 1

Put it this way: the Underground hasn't reached as far as the real Newton Wood (or Newton Heath, Rick!!) but it still sounds good as a name. 

As I haven't actually turned on the colour printer yet, I can still add Newton Heath, Rick. ;)

Ah..! Spotted the station bldg. I sent you, in post # 194..........it came out of it's box then, Jeff............. :senile:

Hi. Yes it came out of the box a long time ago but was sitting on the far side f the layout where I rarely (at this stage!) photograph it - it was masquerading as a Southdown bus station, a job it actually looked quite appropriate for.  :)

What can I say SRman the name sounds good. At least you cannow get some more modelling done. I hope the back is feeling better.

Hi Doug. Back is a lot better although I shied off driving to Gwiwer's layout day - a pity as he had a couple of our friends from South Oz there.

All I have to do now is find where the *@$#@&* I have hidden that glossy photo paper and I can print whichever set of names I want! I do rather like that Newton Broadway although I'm still tempted by Newton Wood and Newton Green. I think the Gill Sans font looks marginally better, although LT probably use their New Johnston typeface - I don't happen to have that on my system and I am not prepared to pay LT for a licence to get it either.

Edited to correct typing: they weren't really fiends!!

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Premium

You were missed Jeff and spoken of but we understand the reason you were unable to make it.  I'll post up in my layout thread just as soon as I can persuade the videos to upload.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For the pre-grouping enthusiasts and modellers:

My latest arrival, although not technically new (it was bought as near-new off eBay), is the Hornby LBSCR Terrier 0-6-0T, posed here with previously purchased locos, an LSWR M7 0-4-4T from Hornby and an SECR liveried C 0-6-0 from Bachmann. All are in out-of-the-box condition. I also experimented with changing the photos to grey scales and with sepia tones. The soft-focus was actually accidental (must clean the camera lens on my phone!!).

LSWRM7LBSCTerrierandSECRC-2_zps3b23b55a.

LSWRM7LBSCTerrierandSECRC-1cropped_zps81

LSWRM7LBSCTerrierandSECRC-2grey_zps1604f

LSWRM7LBSCTerrierandSECRC-1croppedgrey_z

LSWRM7LBSCTerrierandSECRC-2sepia_zps9876

LSWRM7LBSCTerrierandSECRC-1croppedsepia_
  • Like 2

I missed the opportunity of a S/H LSWR M7 at Manchester MRE a year or so ago, it was an expensive private sale and I didn't have enough cash.

Just as well as I got a mint boxed one this year from a swap meet in Chester at a bargain price. It will look will nice alongside the LSWR T9.

Just need a set of Pink & Brown LSWR coaches to go with them.

reminder to self - take a picture.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 1

I have an original Dapol one in BR black, later fitted with a TCS Z2 decoder. It has always been a smooth runner but, as you say, noisy ... it sounds like an angry hornet at any sort of speed! I think the new Hornby one may actually be a little quieter. I always wanted one in the full LBSC 'improved engine green' livery, although I think Hornby's rendition tends to be a little on the brown side rather than a yellow ochre.

I was originally very impressed with the Dapol one's ability to stay in contact with the track even when I deliberately tested it with a piece of track bent up at approximately 30 degrees from the horizontal; the locomotive sailed over the abrupt change of gradient and up the slope with no hesitations at all, thanks in part to the sprung centre axle with pickups.

I have a TCS Z2 decoder on order for the LBSC model now. I doubt it will be here in time to fit it for the AMRA exhibition on Saturday. I'll be at Caulfield on the BRMA stand if anyone wishes to come up and say hello.