SRman

Hi Chris. The C69 stock is from resin kits from Little Bus Company. I also have some far more complicated kits from a firm called something like Fleet Line or something similar - I'll have to dig the boxes out to check. The latter kits may never get built as they have etched brass sides, aluminium frames, white metal ends and castings, and plastic bits as well.

The A Stock resin kits are ahead of the C Stock in the build queue, but now I have worked out an aluminium finish I am happy with, and have the Black Beetle motor bogies in hand, I have little excuse not to finish them.

I hope you can overcome the illness and the treatment (which can be just as bad as the illness for symptoms). The modelling could act as a useful distraction by focussing your attention away from your woes a bit.

Thanks for the message.

The modelling does help, you are correct!

I'd forgotten Little Bus Company. I have a mate who has built a couple of their kits and says good things. Mind you, he is just as mad as me and has just finished a Pirate Models Bedford VAL twin steer coach kit despite there being a perfectly good diecast model available!!!!

The Fleet Line stuff intrigues me!

I have an interest in old kits!!

Chris.

Thanks for the message.

The modelling does help, you are correct!

I'd forgotten Little Bus Company. I have a mate who has built a couple of their kits and says good things. Mind you, he is just as mad as me and has just finished a Pirate Models Bedford VAL twin steer coach kit despite there being a perfectly good diecast model available!!!!

The Fleet Line stuff intrigues me!

I have an interest in old kits!!

Chris.

The Pirate Models (ex-Cotswold) Bedford VAL has a Plaxton Panorama Elite body, where the OOC version has the earlier style of Panorama body with flat side window glass.

I am lucky in that I usually get my Little Bus Company kits delivered locally, and often by hand, when Tony Asquith comes to visit. Tony often did the design work while crossing to or from Australia by sea. His aim was to make them as accurate as possible while still allowing for easy assembly with the minimum number of separate parts - usually a body shell and a chassis complete with seats, plus wheels and axles and a steering wheel for single deckers, while double deckers had the upper deck floor and seats as a part of the lower deck shell, and often a separate moulding for half cab bonnets and front dash panels.

Here's another variation on the Bedford VAL, seen on my old layout (quite an old photo too!). This one has a Duple Vega Major body and was built from the old Fanfare resin kit. This has memories for me of a trip from school in Pound Hill (Crawley) to Arundel Castle in a VAL belonging to Crawley Luxury Coaches.

http://43509994254_bb615f5227_b.jpg

Bedford VAL Duple cropped by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Edited by SRman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Pirate Models (ex-Cotswold) Bedford VAL has a Plaxton Panorama Elite body, where the OOC version has the earlier style of Panorama body with flat side window glass.

I am lucky in that I usually get my Little Bus Company kits delivered locally, and often by hand, when Tony Asquith comes to visit. Tony often did the design work while crossing to or from Australia by sea. His aim was to make them as accurate as possible while still allowing for easy assembly with the minimum number of separate parts - usually a body shell and a chassis complete with seats, plus wheels and axles and a steering wheel for single deckers, while double deckers had the upper deck floor and seats as a part of the lower deck shell, and often a separate moulding for half cab bonnets and front dash panels.

Here's another variation on the Bedford VAL, seen on my old layout (quite an old photo too!). This one has a Duple Vega Major body and was built from the old Fanfare resin kit. This has memories for me of a trip from school in Pound Hill (Crawley) to Arundel Castle in a VAL belonging to Crawley Luxury Coaches.

We used to go to school every day by coach from Edgware tube station. Often the coach used was a Vega Major operated by Kirby's of Bushey Heath. Happy days.

• Like 1

43509994254_bb615f5227_b.jpg

Nice job! Great job done on the windscreen.

North Western ran VAL chassised buses with purpose built bodies. I dragged my long suffering Dad to Altrincham for a trip on one!!

When working in horses, I had the opportunity to see a coachbuilt horsebox on a VAL chassis.

Very nice piece of kit!

C.

Nice job! Great job done on the windscreen.

North Western ran VAL chassised buses with purpose built bodies. I dragged my long suffering Dad to Altrincham for a trip on one!!

When working in horses, I had the opportunity to see a coachbuilt horsebox on a VAL chassis.

Very nice piece of kit!

C.

Were those North Western ones the ones with the specially low roof because of a particularly low bridge? They were replaced later by Bristol RELLs with ECW bodies also with flattened rooflines.

I have just added a new level crossing to allow more realistic access to the stores and shed area. I envisage this as more of an occupation crossing rather than a full-blown regulated crossing, although, truth be told, I didn't really want to add any more level crossings at all, but I cannot see any alternatives at this location.

I will have to build up the track centre fillers a little more, but overall it looks the part already, I think.

30363679928_489be9c673_b.jpg
P_20180824_151404_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

44231301651_ff94368597_b.jpg
P_20180824_151414_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Like 7

Were those North Western ones the ones with the specially low roof because of a particularly low bridge? They were replaced later by Bristol RELLs with ECW bodies also with flattened rooflines.

That's right.

There was one in a coach company yard alongside the Bridgewater Canal at Patricroft for a number of years. I don't think it got preserved.

C.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good to see you and the others at Caulfield yesterday. Hope we managed to sign up a few members (why are the owners/builders of Chadderton and Vale of White Horse not members? More of their ilk would be very welcome).

Good to see you and the others at Caulfield yesterday. Hope we managed to sign up a few members (why are the owners/builders of Chadderton and Vale of White Horse not members? More of their ilk would be very welcome).

It was really good to see you there, John. 

Several of the operators of Chadderton and the Vale of the Whitehorse are BRMA members already - The next meeting is at the home of a VotWH owner/operator.

We signed up at least two new members on Saturday; they filled in the forms and paid on the spot, and there were a couple more who were very keen and were going to fill in the forms from their homes.

Overall, it was a good exhibition, I think. :)

I know I don't really need any new stock, but I have just bought another item. I was at the Caulfield exhibition all day on Saturday, and was actually commenting to the other guys on the BRMA stand that I hadn't spent any money, then went to visit my good friend, Mary de la Lande of Brunel Hobbies to say hello. She had a second-hand Hornby class 153 in Regional Railways livery going for $120 (roughly around £68 at current exchange rates), so I bought it on the spot. Mary assured me it ran sweetly, and it did indeed. A DCC Concepts direct plug-in decoder was fitted and it was again tested successfully.

It had a few paint chips along the lower body edges, so I touched those in with some Humbrol #129 grey, a shade darker than Regional Railways' grey; I intend to eventually use the correct shade, when I can find where I have put it, but in the meantime, it looks like a little weathering along the lower sides.

153 377 has now joined sister 'skateboard' units 153 329, 153 355 and 153 382, posed here for the camera. The lower level tracks are being used as temporary storage for locomotives displaced while I work on the high level engine shed area.

29359530887_10ccc4487b_b.jpg
P_20180827_165025_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

43578037774_78ce9a3edb_b.jpg
P_20180827_165009_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

29359532087_2cdf4db9e4_b.jpg
P_20180827_165000_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Like 7

Hey,I like 'the 4 skateboards'!Such formations can appear in real life - I caught this at Grantham last year:

attachicon.gifDSC02173.JPG

153383/379/374/302,what a scoop!

Fun for us as enthusiasts, not so great for passengers!

Would anyone really want to go from Nottingham to Skeggy in one of these, or from Peterborough to Sheffield? Not as bad as the Pacers however.

John.

• Like 1

I fiddled a little with the carriage shed lines, loosely laying some Bachmann underlay strips, tacked down in places with double-sided tape.

The Ratio carriage shed always sat a little low for clearances, so on the previous layout I had two layers of ice lolly sticks raising it a little; this time I am trying two layers of the Bachmann trackbed, cut into half strips (i.e. as per the N gauge mark), with the bottom layer stuck upside down, and the square edge of the upper layer acting as a guide for the outer edges of the tracks. The idea seems to be good, notwithstanding the fact I haven't glued anything down yet, so it can all move around a bit at present.

30509811118_db1809dd00_b.jpg
P_20180831_135136_vHDR_On cropped by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

43660355294_a25b646528_b.jpg
P_20180831_135243_vHDR_On cropped by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

The EMUs and DEMU are also helping keep the tracks in place for now. The blue 2 HAP unit in the middle is not yet finished, hence the lack of glazing and jumper cables. The other units are a 'tin' 2 HAL (left) and a 2H Hampshire DEMU.

• Like 5

For the recent exhibition at Caulfield, I had a couple of Parkside Palvan kits in reserve, but didn't get the chance to build them there, so they have been a quick diversion over the last few days at home.

They aren't finished yet, with a coat of varnish required to protect the transfers needed. The paint is patchy but that really doesn't matter once they are varnished and subsequently weathered. The photos show them at various stages to date.

Note, I only had one 'proper' set of transfers for Palvans, so made up the second one but it is still missing the actual 'PALVAN' lettering. That can always be added at a later time.

44373323802_f963cb31c5_b.jpg
P_20180829_111226_vHDR_On cropped by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

43514474365_8c17cdd41f_b.jpg
P_20180830_092915_vHDR_On cropped by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

42614028000_2373a74c51_b.jpg
P_20180902_160901_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

44373323212_d8d683defe_b.jpg
P_20180902_160854_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Like 8

Thanks, John and Doug.

I did a little powder weathering on the two Palvans this morning. On one I used grey and dark earth coloured powders, while on the other, I used dirty black and dark rust. As you can see, the effects are quite different. I think the paler one may need a little dirty black worked into the crevices too.

30590312358_06865e252b_b.jpg
P_20180904_105407_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

44410443242_f70ac40dd7_b.jpg
P_20180904_105419_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

The loco is a Heljan class 07 diesel shunter, D2990. While it has a very slight tight spot at extremely slow speeds, it runs very smoothly at all other speeds. It too needs a little weathering, but I haven't figured out what will be the best effects or methods yet.

p.s. John: I haven't knocked the side or end rails yet (being very careful!), but I have managed to flatten the coupling hooks against the headstocks a few times. :D

Edited by SRman
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to resurrect a couple of positively ancient Airfix cattle wagons, built when I was teenager. They had crudely added Triang metal couplings, and had lost the odd buffer, but otherwise were basically intact. The first thing was to replace the old plastic wheels with metal ones, but they didn't want to roll freely at all, so I drilled out the axle boxes and put brass bearings in, with little improvement. Next, I tried reducing the length of the axles slightly, using a drill and file to turn them down a bit; this was a little better but they are still stiffer than is really desirable.

I replaced the missing buffers with approximations from the spares boxes (a few real wagons could, and did run sometimes with odd buffers). I replaced a missing coupling with a Parkside NEM adapter and Bachmann coupling, something I'll do with the rest of the couplings if or when I can get the wagons to run properly. They may be a lost cause, in which case I may well buy a couple of new kits and build them around the wheelsets to make them run properly.

The photos show them in pretty well the finish I achieved when I built them all those years ago. Also in the photos are the two Parkside Palvans I built a week or two ago, with just a tad more weathering applied.

43798513185_db3d1bbdc0_b.jpg
P_20180916_135814_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

43989620344_ef78341965_b.jpgP_20180916_135831_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Now for some new arrivals at Newton Broadway (yes, they still keep a-coming!). First up, the Hornby Maunsell Restaurant Car, which is posed here with an open second coach.

44658670682_83cbef62b4_b.jpg
P_20180916_135841_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

29770644277_7825a4f5c6_b.jpg
P_20180916_135850_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

I wanted an ex-LMS Ivatt 10000 diesel to go with 10001, but couldn't justify the cost of a new one. I recently scored a second-hand one in green with orange lining, which will get a repaint in due course into black and silver. Doing it this way means I don't have to add the extra marker lights and lamp irons, seeing as they were already fitted by the time they went into the green livery. Of course, they never ran on the Southern in green, but it will remain in this livery until I am ready.

44658669672_09148cce84_b.jpg
P_20180916_135857_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

29770642837_60e55577e3_b.jpg
P_20180916_135909_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Edited by SRman
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

A rather unexpected new arrival at Newton Broadway is 10203 in BR green with orange lining, transferred back to the Southern temporarily from the London Midland Region. This one is a Silver Fox body on a shortened Bachmann class 40 chassis. The finish is very professional, with a few minor blemishes from transporting it and the prior removal of two headcode discs at one end, all easily fixed.

I was very fortunate in that it is DCC-ready, with an 8-pin decoder socket on the circuit board, so it now sports a DCC Concepts S4SA decoder.

While in England recently, I managed to arrange a meeting with two of the Wish List Poll Team, Brian Macdermott and Robert Carroll. Brian organised to meet us at Milton Keynes railway station, and transported us to his home for a very pleasant afternoon tea. He showed us his model railway layout, and while looking at this, I saw the Bulleid diesel and admired it. Brian said he was planning to get a Kernow Model Railways example and to sell the Silver Fox one on eBay, so I asked him to tell me when he was putting it up for sale. He then very generously just gave it to me and said I could have it; I protested and said I should pay him something for it, but he dismissed that and said he would like me to have it as I would be giving it a good home.

It is seen here posed with Kernow's 10201 in the earlier livery.

31481143358_3935e4da1e_b.jpg
P_20181016_174724_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

44442466085_32b079662f_b.jpg
P_20181016_174711_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

31481141958_5ba6353950_b.jpg
P_20181016_174838_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

45306019342_32dd95f0db_b.jpg
P_20181016_174824_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Many thanks to Brian and his wife, Anne, for their hospitality.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 7

A rather unexpected new arrival at Newton Broadway is 10203 in BR green with orange lining, transferred back to the Southern temporarily from the London Midland Region. This one is a Silver Fox body on a shortened Bachmann class 40 chassis. The finish is very professional, with a few minor blemishes from transporting it and the prior removal of two headcode discs at one end, all easily fixed.

I was very fortunate in that it is DCC-ready, with an 8-pin decoder socket on the circuit board, so it now sports a DCC Concepts S4SA decoder.

While in England recently, I managed to arrange a meeting with two of the Wish List Poll Team, Brian MacDermott and Robert Carroll. Brian organised to meet us at Milton Keynes railway station, and transported us to his home for a very pleasant afternoon tea. He showed us his model railway layout, and while looking at this, I saw the Bulleid diesel and admired it. Brian said he was planning to get a Kernow Model Railways example and to sell the Silver Fox one on eBay, so I asked him to tell me when he was putting it up for sale. He then very generously just gave it to me and said I could have it; I protested and said I should pay him something for it, but he dismissed that and said he would like me to have it as I would be giving it a good home.

It is seen here posed with Kernow's 10201 in the earlier livery.

31481143358_3935e4da1e_b.jpg

P_20181016_174724_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

44442466085_32b079662f_b.jpg

P_20181016_174711_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

31481141958_5ba6353950_b.jpg

P_20181016_174838_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

45306019342_32dd95f0db_b.jpg

P_20181016_174824_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Many thanks to Brian and his wife, Anne, for their hospitality.

That is hard core, shortening a Bachmann chassis!!!

Mine had a Lima powerdrive before I replaced it with a new Hornby Railroad drive.

Then, 'cos I have a 'Major Thing' for the 'Raworths', I ended up with the Kernows!!!!

What this picture does show, I think, is how good a model can be made from the Silver Fox body.

The normal viewing distance perspective of your shot, shows no major differences between the two models.

My last and only view of 10203 was on a fitted train coming off the North London line. Really 'Giving It The Berries!!'

C.

• Like 1

SRman, Nice to hear that your back. I really should have written down the dates... any how that is a  nice addition to the layout. 

I have realised I already have too much stuff for my layout. So I will dial back the rolling stock acquisitions! The maintenance is an issue of all the things I have. I found my Bachmann LMS G2A is missing a bolt... no idea where it has droped it or if I ever pulled it out! Need about a month of just working through things to make sure everything is working and fix the little issues on each of the pieces of rolling stock... let alone  more scenic work. Modelling is a little bit frustrating at the moment as I can't just run things! 

I hope you had a great trip and we will catch up soon. Are you going to the BRMA meeting in Bendigo?

SRman, Nice to hear that your back. I really should have written down the dates... any how that is a  nice addition to the layout. 

I have realised I already have too much stuff for my layout. So I will dial back the rolling stock acquisitions! The maintenance is an issue of all the things I have. I found my Bachmann LMS G2A is missing a bolt... no idea where it has droped it or if I ever pulled it out! Need about a month of just working through things to make sure everything is working and fix the little issues on each of the pieces of rolling stock... let alone  more scenic work. Modelling is a little bit frustrating at the moment as I can't just run things! 

I hope you had a great trip and we will catch up soon. Are you going to the BRMA meeting in Bendigo?

I find that there are many small parts floating around that have dropped off various items of rolling stock. I can't even identify some of them as to which vehicle they have come off. However, as they are not obvious when viewing running stock, I have decided that it really isn't all that important! :D

I will give you a call soon (still a bit jetlagged) - we'll see about getting to Bendigo. Malcolm sent an email saying there weren't sufficient numbers for a bus.