SRman

With a few days off over Christmas and New Year, I have started on the London Transport island platform. I have some light plastic board formed from two layers of thin plasticard with a series of lengthwise plastic cross braces and thought this would make a light but strong framework for the platform.

To face the side pieces, I am using some embossed card brickwork from Vollmer, the first few of which are shown in a couple of the pics. Although it was labelled for N scale, I think the brick card is much closer to OO/HO scale in appearance. I have set the sides 15mm high, and am cutting more of the card just two brick courses deep with the intention of adding them along the tops of the platform sides to form a projecting ledge for the card platform top surfaces to sit on. I have used some extra strips as cross supports but will also use some strips of the card intended for the top surfaces as well.

The brickwork is much too pristine at the moment but I will weather it down a bit later.

These photos show the intermediate stage to the point where I stopped work for the night. More to follow as I progress further. Modern heavy diesel models (plus a Wrenn/Hornby Dublo West Country steamer used earlier!) make very good weights to hold things in place while the glue sets!

321_270539_060000000.jpg

321_270539_070000001.jpg

321_270539_080000002.jpg

321_270539_080000003.jpg

• Like 1

Catching up posts since RMweb has been down (welcome back, BTW):

I wanted it to be strong enough to take some weight if I lean on it occasionally. Superquick platforms may only be card but they are super-strong so I am taking a leaf from their book for my own construction techniques.

Here are more photos showing the progress since yesterday. The top surfaces still need a little trimming and cleaning up and also clearances for longer stock checked before gluing down so are still loose at this stage.

LTPlatformFormwork5-800_zps45aa350f.jpg

LTPlatformFormwork6-800_zps1696fc34.jpg

LTPlatformProgress1-800_zps670758bd.jpg

LTPlatformProgress2-800_zpsac32c712.jpg

LTPlatformProgress3-800_zps6fa366a0.jpg

LTPlatformProgress4-800_zpsdd247721.jpg

LTPlatformProgress5-800_zps6cf6565c.jpg

LTPlatformProgress6-800_zpsb3735653.jpg

LTPlatformProgress7-800_zpsb806c87f.jpg

I have now pre-painted the platform surfaces on both sides with the dark grey colour, followed by a lighter grey mix for the top surfaces. I am in the process of adding more cross-bracing, albeit this time out of card strips. I'll be sticking the top surfaces down later, after running clearance tests with the longest and widest stock I own and trimming if necessary. Later on I'll do the 'proper' textures and finishes for the upper surfaces and add the corbel strips of brickwork under the edges (which will also hide any gaps).

I have taken yet more photos of my progress and will post them soon. By the end of my holiday break I should have a completed island platform ready for some detailing.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

And adding yet more progress shots:

More photos of my progress on the LT platforms. The paint was still wet in the first two pics.

LTPlatformProgress21-800_zpsd518e07f.jpg

LTPlatformProgress22-800_zps61522cbb.jpg

I then added some white paint into the remnants of my first tub of 'Hurricane' grey to produce this lighter grey.

LTPlatformProgress23-800_zps469b4f75.jpg

The platform buildings are perched loosely here. I subsequently added some more cross-bracing but the buildings won't sit entirely straight until I actually glue the top surfaces down. That's not going to happen until I can get hold of some more Vollmer embossed brick paper to complete the brickwork on the hidden side.

LTPlatformProgress25-800_zpsff97146a.jpg

The next one was taken after adding some of the extra cross-bracing underneath (more to go, though). The buildings are sitting a little straighter now!

LTPlatformProgress26-800_zpscee95e05.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Those 3 diesels reminded me of Bob White Electrix at Norlane (they use them for generating "pure" DC for electric motor repairs and testing)

All the best for the New Year and lookiing forward to the Rmwebbers get together.

I will bring my G2A with sound as well

Peter

Looking good there Jeff, especially those 3 Diesels on the right angle. Obviously a crane was used to move them. Another good use of a diesel.

Happy new year to you too.

MArk

'

Thanks, Mark. For the record, the diesels are a Heljan class 33 with modified cab roof profile, a Horn by class 73 electro-diesel with a detailed and repainted Lima body and Howes' sound, and a Heljan Hymek, also with Howes' sound.

The great hand in the sky had some small part to play in their positioning!

A Happy New Year to you and your family.

Jeff.

Jeff,

Those 3 diesels reminded me of Bob White Electrix at Norlane (they use them for generating "pure" DC for electric motor repairs and testing)

All the best for the New Year and lookiing forward to the Rmwebbers get together.

I will bring my G2A with sound as well

Peter

I wonder what my three were powering! Before I took that photo I actually had 11diesels perched similarly weighing down the platform while the glue set.

Happy New Year to you and all the other RMwebbers and any BRMA members here too. I'll look forward to seeing and hearing your G2A soon , I hope.

The tops are just card - easier to trim and adjust. With proper support, card can be very strong. The photos don't show all of the extra cross supports I have been adding under the card surfaces.

Even so, I did consider using plasticard for the tops. If I change my mind (it's not too late!) I will use the card ones as templates.

Edited by SRman

lordhinton, SRman doesn't have the room to put it all some where else!!!! :O that is part of the reason why i did all his base boards!!!! He has to get more track down so that it can have a place to live... :scratchhead: SRman you will have to get a move on with the upper level this week so the stock has some where to live!.... cooler tomorrow only 36!.... me well I will go back to using the soldering iron on the coachs! :jester:

Being DCC I can move all trains on the lower level to wherever I need them to clear space to work.

As for the upper level, I had to remove all the stock and track while I used the jigsaw to trim the upper board. The tracks on the upper level are only approximately in the right positions. I need to get a router or something else that will cut holes for the point motors on the upper level as the method I used lower down was a bit too course.

Doug is correct in his assertion that I don't have enough off-layout storage! :D

The Platforms are still on temporary hold, pending the arrival of more of the Vollmer brick sheets. However, I have now got hold of my code 60 rail for the third and fourth rails, courtesy of Brunel Models in Cheltenham (Melbourne).

For the platforms, I have now decided to go for the plasticard top surfaces for more rigidity, so I bought some Evergreen 40 thou plasticard for the purpose. The centre section of the platform will have paving slabs, under the buildings and canopies but the rest will have a different texture. While in Brunel Models, I saw some textured spray paints that would give an effective bituminous finish to the platforms (or roads), which i may experiment with in the near future.

I have laid a short test section of third and fourth rail using the Peco third rail chairs (pots). From this, I know I will have to countersink the bases of the pots slightly as the rails are slightly higher than the running rails. While this is correct for the prototype, I want to have them all level to ease track cleaning. For this section, I haven't glued anything down, nor have I created any end ramps. I have some ScaleFour castings for the end ramps and will be using those for the LT lines but I will only bend the ends of the third rail sections down slightly for the main lines to give a different appearance to the two sets of lines.

I made a template out of card to drill the holes in the centre of each of the relevant sleepers. This worked well but is not very durable so, having proved the concept, I'll make a better one out of some brass strip.

ThirdandFourthRail-loosetestsection1_zps

ThirdandFourthRail-loosetestsection2_zps

I already have a sore finger from sliding 44 of the pots on to the rails; I'm not sure how I'll cope with doing this for another 80ft of track (the code 60 rail comes in 2ft lengths and I have only done two of them here!!).

Also in the pics, you can see my latest acquisition, the Bachmann Collectors' Club Network SouthEast liveried 2EPB unit.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

The tops are just card - easier to trim and adjust. With proper support, card can be very strong. The photos don't show all of the extra cross supports I have been adding under the card surfaces.

Even so, I did consider using plasticard for the tops. If I change my mind (it's not too late!) I will use the card ones as templates.

Thanks. I shall be getting onto installing platforms and fitting 3rd rail shortly on my layout so will watch your efforts with interest.

Looks good SRman. A trick for getting rail onto the pots is to file the end of the rail to allow the pots to slide onto a thiner section which then tapers to the full size which is how I got the C&L chairs onto the rail for the P4 layout!

Further progress with the third and fourth rail laying tests: I laid a second stretch of third and fourth rail on the adjacent track but this time used a template for the positioning of the centre rail made from a piece of scrap brass. It sits between the running rails on plain track with the edge aligned with the edge of the selected sleeper. I then dril lthe hole through the hole in the brass. The 'bent up bit' is a crude handle. I should add that I cannot use this with the track power on!

FourthRailTemplate2_zpsaedd5a3d.jpg

The track on the right was laid using the template. That on the left has also had further work done to lower it slightly. This was achieved by simply drilling out the top part of the mounting hole to a size that matched the diameter of the third rail pot. The rails are still not quite level with each other but I am not far off achieving what I want, now. At this stage, everything is still just a firm push-fit. When I am satisfied I will glue it all down - after ballasting.

ThirdandFourthRailLoweredonLeft1_zps0d30

ThirdandFourthRailLoweredonLeft2_zps5843

ThirdandFourthRailLoweredonLeft3_zps930b

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

I have no further work on the platforms to report at this stage but, while awaiting the arrival of the Vollmer brick sheets, I have not been entirely idle.

I have decided to compromise a little further and reduce the radius of the siding curves to allow a little more length for train storage. The radius is still slightly over 2nd radius but less than 3rd - at its tightest it equals 2nd radius. While it looks a little tight for the 4CEP unit in the pics, it actually suits the shorter LT stock somewhat better. There is now room for a six car LT unit with room to spare.

ExtendedLTSiding1_zps3ba00200.jpg

The second photo shows the new position for the buffer stop.

ExtendedLTSiding3_zps3327984c.jpg

I haven't fully tidied up yet - the track pins are not yet hammered fully down to allow me to adjust the alignment more easily if needed and there are still a few track pins floating loose beside the track. Buildings have been rearranged but this is still definitely not the final arrangement, even allowing for the fact that the whole lot will be on a rising slope towards the rear.

I have slightly modified and repainted my Hornby Dublo signal box, inspired by a picture on Radley Models' site (http://www.radleymod...rack_side_items). Mine still requires glazing and some sort of interior. The pics show both sides of it. I have added a little Slaters brick plasticard to blank off some of the windows on the back of the cabin, just as Phil Radley has done for his model.

LTSignalBox1_zpsb6d56faa.jpg

LTSignalBox2_zps412e5610.jpg

LTSignalBox3_zps10c4ac9c.jpg

I wasn't sure what colour to paint the doors; I chose a light blue for two of them and red for one that I thought might be entry to a restricted area.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Vollmer brick sheets have now arrived and I have completed the brick facings for each side of the platform, allowing me to continue with the platform surfaces properly. I decided to change to 40 thou plasticard for extra rigidity and neater joints so cut the new surfaces using the old card ones as templates. There may still be a little filing and trimming to do but I haven't tested yet with the widest and longest stock.

PlasticardPlatform-1_zpse389c8ba.jpg

PlasticardPlatform-2_zps51db3aa5.jpg

PlasticardPlatform-3_zps3cf2916f.jpg

I have also now reused the old surface card, cut into strips, as extra cross-bracing. It was all fairly crudely cut to interlock, then glued into place.

CardCross-bracing1_zpsc96f973a.jpg

CardCross-bracing2_zpsd3c3db6c.jpg

CardCross-bracing3-glued_zpsf257a401.jpg

And finally, the plasticard surface roughly painted (first coat only), but not glued down pending further clearance tests.

PlasticardPlatform-painted_zps25af4b59.j

Next stage: glue the surfaces down then add strips of the brick (two bricks high) as corbels under the edges of the platform overhangs. These will also hide any gaps, with luck!

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

Back to the old Hornby Dublo signal box I started playing with a week ago: I have now glazed it. I found some printed glazing from Downes Glaze (I think) which had some windows well suited to the apertures on the ground floor locking room. The upper floor windows are done with plain glazing, to which I will add some microstrip bars in the next installment for this item.

The first two pics show the railway side of the cabin while the other two are of the side that normally faces away from the trains.

LTSignalBoxGlazed1_zpsd3cb5251.jpg

LTSignalBoxGlazed2_zpsd046b787.jpg

LTSignalBoxGlazed3_zpsc018d7c8.jpg

LTSignalBoxGlazed4_zpsed05a375.jpg

There are still a few spots that need the paint retouched (particularly the staircases and landings, also the door architraves).

After the glazing has been properly completed, I will need to make up an interior which can be inserted from below, together with a track diagram to be pasted to the interior wall.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Showing off the effect of the textured paint I purchased from Brunel Hobbies recently: this is the asphalt texture. It still needs a little more done to it to complete the platform surfaces but I quite like the effect. I intend to make a little skrawking tool to scrape some lines parallel to the platform edges, which will also facilitate painting the white edging (actually intended to be a light grey).

While progress on the station has not been as quick as I would like, I am happy with the effects.

The retaining walls are from International Models and will be cut to fit the locations properly - they are only propped there for effect at the moment.

DapolClass22-2_zpse6778937.jpg

DapolClass22-3_zps1b2fe950.jpg

These shots also show off the latest arrival on my layout, a limited edition Dapol weathered class 22 from Kernow Models and my Silver Fox version on Bachmann class 20 chassis, which I have now started to weather to match the Kernow model.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1