SRman

I have been tweaking the CVs slightly in one of the two VEP units to get a reasonable speed match between them. The NSE unit, 3588, had its high and mid-voltage (CV5 and CV6) settings altered so that the two units run at much the same speed through all speed steps on the controllers.

I have posted a second video with Network South East trains, mostly different ones from the first video I posted a few days ago.

• Like 6

I have done yet another video for the Network South East period of time, while experimenting with phone camera settings (stabilisation turned off to eliminate the jerky motion, 1080p at 60 fps for this set).

One of the Heljan CargoWaggons was playing up with a coupling losing its return spring and causing derailments (now fixed - this involves dismantling the wagon and the coupling mechanism and inserting a length of thin wire or, in my case, some plastic rod), but after several attempts, I got the Speedlink freight to run reliably with both the class 56 and the class 37.

I don't have any suitable Underground trains to run for this time period, although some are under construction (4-car trains of A60 and C69 stocks).

Of course, if you think my videos are getting boring or repetitive, please skip on by.

• Like 3

I enjoyed the video, and particularly liked the sound on the 56. Your stock changeover has been very effective in giving a late'80's/ early 90's NSE flavour. I remember this period particularly well, living in Beckenham at the time and commuting into Victoria daily.

I did wonder what the pic of the 25 & 24 on Flickr was leading to, TBA no doubt!

John.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the video, and particularly liked the sound on the 56. Your stock changeover has been very effective in giving a late'80's/ early 90's NSE flavour. I remember this period particularly well, living in Beckenham at the time and commuting into Victoria daily.

I did wonder what the pic of the 25 & 24 on Flickr was leading to, TBA no doubt!

John.

Hi John.

Thanks for the compliments.

If the photo is the one I think you are referring to, it was partly in response to a query - the 25 has a Bachmann chassis under a Hornby body.

• RMweb Premium

SRman with all that spare time you have at the moment I am surprised the layout is not rocketing along!  :sungum:

See you on sunday!

Doug and Jeff,

Have we a time and place for Sunday as I can't find a reference in the emails?

Peter

Gentlemen it is 12.30 at my place... tea and coffee of course.. may be other snacks. Don't forget to bring along the materials!

Materials? I'll get some off Agnes!!! ;)

I still have to sketch some plan ideas. I'll bring along the points I have available and some lengths of track so we can have a bit of a fiddle to see what looks right. Still not exactly clear on what we need for the fiddle yard, though; we may have to clarify that when we all meet.

• 2 weeks later...

My faithful Fleischmann turntable has died. It exhibits a complete short-circuit when connected up, and I can't figure out what exactly is wrong or where it is. As this is a good 25 or more years old, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new turntable. I have settled on the Heljan 89121 model, which is DCC-ready as a bonus. It arrived this morning from Hatton's, and is unpacked and sitting loose on the layout now.

Since the overall diameter is smaller than that of the Fleischmann model it is replacing, I can have another go at arranging the engine shed roads with the turntable at the front, instead of behind the engine shed buildings. Preliminary experiments suggest it might just work. Unfortunately, I have had to curtail my efforts for the immediate present due to a persistent cat - Sykes kept on sliding the door open and coming in to see what  was doing. I'm lucky Hattie didn't see that he had opened the door; I really don't want one cat, let alone two of them, racing around under and over the layout! 

I will return to this a little later today, once I can be sure Sykes is either settled or outside.  :D

The joys of being a cat slave!

42488793705_de861e22d6_b.jpg
IMG_20171101_182504 cropped by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Like 3

I managed to get some "Me" time, with both cats now tuckered out and sleeping. Here are the results of some rearranging and tinkering with track alignments with the new turntable very roughly in position (but obviously not sunk into the baseboards yet). The track is mostly only placed in position and not anchored in any way, just to gauge the effect so far.

Looking from the front, and going towards the back, there is a small spur for stores and coal, a single track to the turntable, a single storage and refuelling line, a double track engine shed, then another single storage line (which could be for DMU/EMU or for locomotives), then a double track EMU/DEMU shed (as before).

29149923897_58bc65341c_b.jpg
P_20180817_190551_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

42278526640_856e9393d1_b.jpg

P_20180817_190605_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

42278517800_cb349b7fa6_b.jpg
P_20180817_190619_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

This is all untested at present, but looks reasonable to me so far. Any comments or suggestions welcomed.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I managed to get some "Me" time, with both cats now tuckered out and sleeping. Here are the results of some rearranging and tinkering with track alignments with the new turntable very roughly in position (but obviously not sunk into the baseboards yet). The track is mostly only placed in position and not anchored in any way, just to gauge the effect so far.

Looking from the front, and going towards the back, there is a small spur for stores and coal, a single track to the turntable, a single storage and refuelling line, a double track engine shed, then another single storage line (which could be for DMU/EMU or for locomotives), then a double track EMU/DEMU shed (as before).

29149923897_58bc65341c_b.jpg

P_20180817_190551_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

42278526640_856e9393d1_b.jpg

P_20180817_190605_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

42278517800_cb349b7fa6_b.jpg

P_20180817_190619_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

This is all untested at present, but looks reasonable to me so far. Any comments or suggestions welcomed.

That looks far less cramped than before.

• Like 2

That looks far less cramped than before.

Yes it is an improvement, I think. The previous layout was dictated by the extra width of the Fleischmann turntable and its surrounds. The Heljan one is a good 4cm less in overall diameter, while having the same 'bridge' length - roughly equivalent to 90' in OO scale.

There is one fly in the ointment with the positioning as shown: there is a board support under  small part of the turntable to the right in the photos. It is not insurmountable, but will need a little extra cutting, or complete removal of that support and a new one put in a little further over.

• RMweb Premium

The entire area around the turntable is looking much better now. After years of having more space than I knew what to do with I now envy your ability to run an 8-car train around a loop. As you can see in my latest topic 4-car end to end is as good as I can get these days.

And cats. Yes. Paws has learned how to climb up onto the boards. The way to prevent that seems to be to cover them in rolling stock so he hasn’t anywhere to walk. He tried balancing on wagons once but was alarmed to discover that they move!

• Like 1

I have just been working on a couple of unrelated projects. Firstly, I bought some 3D printed London Transport Electrical Isolation Cabinets from Shapeways. Having painted them yellow (with yellow roofs on the newer-style fibreglass boxes, and dark grey roofs on the old-style wooden pair), I tried to copy the signs on the pair I had from Metro Models, but couldn't get them in focus, so I made up some new ones in Word, printed them out and stuck them on. They are barely readable, even under high magnification (I was down to 1.5 point text), so I am not too concerned if they aren't quite accurate.

29210976407_1af575554b_b.jpg

LT Electrical Section Cabinets by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Next, I have decided the final position for the new Heljan turntable, so marked out the perimeter with a pencil, with the turntable well upside down. I had to shift an under-board support by a few inches to clear the hole I was about to cut. I then cut the main hole, staying about 5-8mm inside the pencil lines, then cut out the holes in the paper template and overlaid that onto the baseboards and marked where the plastic spigots had to go, and drilled them out. A few test fits followed, with minor adjustments to the holes between each test, until it sat snugly in the recess.

The following pictures show the temporarily laid tracks back in approximate place with the turntable properly sunk into place.

43430014414_c372012524_b.jpg
P_20180820_165306_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

30281692328_cc90a7aa58_b.jpg

P_20180820_165318_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Experimentally, I rearranged the rear tracks with an extra point inserted to give one more storage line, and moved the engine shed over to be adjacent to the DEMU/EMU shed, but I don't think I'll retain this as it makes the sidings in the DEMU/EMU shed too short. It also makes the area look more cluttered. However, I am happy with the turntable position - anything else I do now won't interfere with that. It leaves a clearer view of the shed area without the buildings obstructing the view of operations.

44148393241_ab3f07ab7c_b.jpg

P_20180820_165901_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

This photo shows that even the largest of my steam locomotives will fit comfortably on the turntable. Merchant Navy 35023, Holland Afrika Line poses for the camera.

30281691478_bb28e187b8_b.jpg
P_20180820_171504_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Edited by SRman
  • Like 9

Playing around further with the engine shed area, I have trimmed and pinned the tracks to the turntable and the coal and store siding beside it.

43308622905_50f5ae33f4_b.jpg
P_20180823_191722_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

I restored the layout to the previous arrangement, but then tried another alternative, whereby the 3-way point into the DEMU/EMU shed and the RH point into the loco shed were swapped. Here's the first arrangement:

43496576454_f73f0661c3_b.jpg
P_20180823_191737_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

... and here's the alternative one. This one allows longer leads into both the loco shed and the DEMU/EMU shed, but at the expense of a slightly more 'contrived' track arrangement:

29278097637_88816154e3_b.jpg
P_20180823_193642_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

43496575144_038e2243fd_b.jpg
P_20180823_193658_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

29278096267_1df99fdd4e_b.jpg
P_20180823_193723_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

As before, much of the track is only resting on the boards and is being held in place by the weight of the locos I have placed on them. Ignore the surplus length of bullhead track over to the right of the sheds - that's my reserve for when I cut track to the final lengths, although I should really cut all of the bullhead track into 60' lengths.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Playing around further with the engine shed area, I have trimmed and pinned the tracks to the turntable and the coal and store siding beside it.

P_20180823_191722_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

I restored the layout to the previous arrangement, but then tried another alternative, whereby the 3-way point into the DEMU/EMU shed and the RH point into the loco shed were swapped. Here's the first arrangement:

P_20180823_191737_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

... and here's the alternative one. This one allows longer leads into both the loco shed and the DEMU/EMU shed, but at the expense of a slightly more 'contrived' track arrangement:

P_20180823_193642_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20180823_193658_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20180823_193723_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

As before, much of the track is only resting on the boards and is being held in place by the weight of the locos I have placed on them. Ignore the surplus length of bullhead track over to the right of the sheds - that's my reserve for when I cut track to the final lengths, although I should really cut all of the bullhead track into 60' lengths.

I like your "alternative" version Jeff - it doesn't look at all contrived to me.

By the way, I plan to be at Caulfield on Saturday afternoon - see you there?

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1

I like your "alternative" version Jeff - it doesn't look at all contrived to me.

By the way, I plan to be at Caulfield on Saturday afternoon - see you there?

Hi John. I will be on the BRMA stand at Caulfield on Saturday, together with DougN and Glenn (aussiebrfan) of this parish, among others. We'll look forward to seeing you there. How long are you coming down for?

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Premium

Hi John. I will be on the BRMA stand at Caulfield on Saturday, together with DougN and Glenn of this parish, among others. We'll look forward to seeing you there. How long are you coming down for?

As is usual nowadays I'm in MEL every week but this weekend Veronica is coming down to join me. I have a pass-out to Caulfield while she explores Collins Street...

As is usual nowadays I'm in MEL every week but this weekend Veronica is coming down to join me. I have a pass-out to Caulfield while she explores Collins Street...

I was going to invite you to drop over to chez Lynn if you had the time. It sounds as if you may not, but the invitation is an open one. :)

• RMweb Premium

I was going to invite you to drop over to chez Lynn if you had the time. It sounds as if you may not, but the invitation is an open one. :)

Appreciate that Jeff, thanks. I'll take it up in due course. As you may know I am now a regular guest operator at Mousehaven on Wednesday evenings.

I have done yet another video for the Network South East period of time, while experimenting with phone camera settings (stabilisation turned off to eliminate the jerky motion, 1080p at 60 fps for this set).

One of the Heljan CargoWaggons was playing up with a coupling losing its return spring and causing derailments (now fixed - this involves dismantling the wagon and the coupling mechanism and inserting a length of thin wire or, in my case, some plastic rod), but after several attempts, I got the Speedlink freight to run reliably with both the class 56 and the class 37.

I don't have any suitable Underground trains to run for this time period, although some are under construction (4-car trains of A60 and C69 stocks).

Of course, if you think my videos are getting boring or repetitive, please skip on by.

Whose is the C69 stock kit?

Just interested, with the financial stuff associated with long term sick and chemo, I'm not in the market for anything in any kind of future!!!

Good job I've got a big collection of 'Loft Insulation!!!!'

Radley Dreadnoughts at the moment!!!

Keep up the good work!!

Chris.

Whose is the C69 stock kit?

Just interested, with the financial stuff associated with long term sick and chemo, I'm not in the market for anything in any kind of future!!!

Good job I've got a big collection of 'Loft Insulation!!!!'

Radley Dreadnoughts at the moment!!!

Keep up the good work!!

Chris.

Hi Chris. The C69 stock is from resin kits from Little Bus Company. I also have some far more complicated kits from a firm called something like Fleet Line or something similar - I'll have to dig the boxes out to check. The latter kits may never get built as they have etched brass sides, aluminium frames, white metal ends and castings, and plastic bits as well.

The A Stock resin kits are ahead of the C Stock in the build queue, but now I have worked out an aluminium finish I am happy with, and have the Black Beetle motor bogies in hand, I have little excuse not to finish them.

I hope you can overcome the illness and the treatment (which can be just as bad as the illness for symptoms). The modelling could act as a useful distraction by focussing your attention away from your woes a bit.