GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

On 12/02/2020 at 15:40, john dew said:

Thanks Jamie, glad you like it The station roof is also a (modified) Scalescene kit. The arches are made from laminated card! Its a very ingenious design whereby quite slender arches create a very robust structure

Regards

John

Hi John,

I want to do a wide span station roof like you have, so it is part or modified Scalescene kit that I need to be looking for...?

How many platform does it cover or better still what is the width of the Arch....?

You have some great buildings and a lot going on, this must have taken you year's to get this far... but very impressive, I have to say...

Regards

Jamie

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, 7APT7 said:

Hi John,

I want to do a wide span station roof like you have, so it is part or modified Scalescene kit that I need to be looking for...?

How many platform does it cover or better still what is the width of the Arch....?

You have some great buildings and a lot going on, this must have taken you year's to get this far... but very impressive, I have to say...

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie

Thanks for the compliments!

My roof is 49" long,18" wide and 9" high (from track bed). It covers 5 tracks and three platforms. There are 16 supporting arches at 3 1/2" centres.

I modified the kit by leaving parts of the roof unglazed (for ease of access), strengthened the central beam, and made it in two sections for ease of removal.

You can build the kit as long as you like. It might be possible to vary the width but I think it would be quite challenging. 

There is also a smaller roof available.....I think it is part of the medium station kit.

Hope this helps

Regards

John

John 

A great layout full of inspiration. I always enjoy seeing what the latest developments are. On the mpd area you have a few stands/platforms for the shed cleaners to use to clean the locomotives. Are they scratch built or kits, as I am trying to find something similar for my shed. Kind regards Peter 

Edited by banburysaint
Correcting my spelling!
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/03/2020 at 14:48, banburysaint said:

John 

A great layout full of inspiration. I always enjoy seeing what the latest developments are. On the mpd area you have a few stands/platforms for the shed cleaners to use to clean the locomotives. Are they scratch built or kits, as I am trying to find something similar for my shed. Kind regards Peter 

Hi Peter

Thank you for the nice comments!

They are all kits I bought on ebay about 15 years ago. They were made by a company called Gem I think. The figures, hydrants and standing boiler came from the same source.

I dont think the company is still manufacturing but you may be lucky with ebay or googling

Kind regards

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

What a difference a week makes!

A fortnight ago we flew from Vancouver to spend  a week with friends in Puerto Vallarta Mexico. Obviously we were aware of the impending pandemic and, although there was no travel advisory in place, did consider cancelling. In truth, other than the outgoing flight being half empty there was virtually no evidence of an emergency either at Vancouver Airport or during our very relaxing stay in our friends beach side apartment......it was, in fact, quite idyllic.......

The week was over far too soon and we returned home to find the world turned upside down. We are now in self isolation not only because of the return flight but also because many of the 270 confirmed cases and deaths (6) in BC have taken place in a Care Home about 2 miles away from our house. Fortunately we are well stocked up......although the wine is somewhat depleted......and both daughters live near us and can do top up shopping for us.

We can still walk the dog in a nearby park......keeping 6' away from fellow walkers..........the weather is springlike (albeit cooler than Mexico), there is lots to do in the garden and I am permitted from time to time to venture into the railway room.  All things considered we are very fortunate.....and continue to count our blessings.

Best wishes

John

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

13 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Greetings from lockdown Spain @john dew

Stay Safe and take care. Looking forward to lots of postings while you are in lockdown.

Regards, Neal.

Couldn't agree more, I put a post on last Saturday mentioning the lockdown, we were virtually the first area in Spain to receive one and the intention was to prevent people from the big cities moving out to their coastal holiday homes and bringing the virus with them, and now look how serious it has got within a week.

Most of what I would term the Steam Generation are in the high risk category age wise so the important thing is to stay safe and of course keep on modelling and posting.

Regards

Richard

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, richard.h said:

Couldn't agree more, I put a post on last Saturday mentioning the lockdown, we were virtually the first area in Spain to receive one and the intention was to prevent people from the big cities moving out to their coastal holiday homes and bringing the virus with them, and now look how serious it has got within a week.

Most of what I would term the Steam Generation are in the high risk category age wise so the important thing is to stay safe and of course keep on modelling and posting.

Regards

Richard

Stay safe Richard.

Yes we also heard that the Madrid second home owners were flocking to Mazarron and the Mar Menor.

Stay safe. Neal.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Big piece on the southwest news last night wanting to keep second home owners away from Devon, Cornwall, Somerset and Dorset. We simply don't have the infrastructure to cope with them for the long term.

Martyn

Edited by mullie
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We have the same situation on the Isle of Skye, trains of campervans are heading up here and no doubt they will bring the plague with them.  There are only two Coop stores on the island and many items have been out of stock for two weeks.

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

We are now entering day 28 of self isolation.......I cant really call it a lock down .....Canada seems to have a slightly more relaxed approach than the UK.....certainly the Mounties are not rushing about fining people. The emphasis is on self distancing and using common sense when shopping for essentials......fortunately the liquor store is deemed to be essential.

To be honest, with us both retired (from work and sailing) daily life is pretty much unchanged. Admittedly, its a little surreal, during the daily dog walk chatting to people from a carefully calculated 2M distance or, even more bizarre, drinking rose on the deck with Daughter#2......seated 2m away.....clad in rubber gloves daintily holding the glass she has specially brought with her!

So I continue to spend 2 or 3 hours most days in the train room. Not much modelling, the majority of the time has been spent fine tuning the automated commutor runs to and from the bays at north end of Granby. All the eight locos involved have now been converted to Zimo chips plus some form of stay alive which has resulted in a significant improvement in consistent accurate stopping. Not to the extent that I no longer check that the loco has uncoupled/ coupled........but now I do so in the expectation that it has been successful.

The downside of all this operation and consequent leaning over the layout has resulted in an increase in "collateral damage" to the usual targets......signal poles and lamposts.

936475041_20Lamppost.jpg.1ace755e72eea229d23bb954e09631cd.jpg

Daily maintenance recently! Lost count of the number of times the yard lamp has been fixed........dont even ask about the branch signals.......out of shot for obvious reasons.

Change of pace........ the shot above reminded me of some earlier photos that I took after adding some children playing in the terraced street which hides the storage yards...................the first is a close up, cropped from the shot :

1936762573_21Closeupskipping.jpg.bc4ab9990e71a0bd1b745f1a17d7338e.jpg

Another figure from the Langley school girls kit

1941942856_23scooter.jpg.c1f2562281a9e9ff231cfb1baa2b05ec.jpg

and finally.......Jones the milk:

579846997_25JonestheMilk.jpg.ab13fd0db2c996f2ff7fba444c0d9630.jpg

Keep well......stay safe

Best wishes

John

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I am always knocking over the lamps on my layout and a lot got broken, to help with this instead of drilling the small hole required for the wiring and peg I drill a 3mm hole.

A length of 3mm dia plastic tubing is then used, the base and wiring of the lamp goes through this and together they are fitted in the baseboard.

This gives the advantage that there is now some 'play' in the fitting so that if caught the lights can move slightly and don't immediately bend or break.

Keep Safe

Richard

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening @john dew in years to come you will be able to regale the grandkids with tales of your daughters visit and her bringing her own glass.

I might have already said, but here in Spain that sort of visit would not be allowed. We can’t go out at all. Once a week to the supermarket and that’s it. Walking the dog is ok, but close to the house. I’m not allowed to go for a run or bike ride :-(

As you say very different in Canada.

Have a good evening, stay safe.

Neal.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

hope you and your wife are going well with all the pandemic hullabaloo.  Really enjoyed catching up on all things Granby, certainly some impressive work you’ve been doing with the post office and hotel buildings, and that parcels rail car is a beaut.

Take care

Tony

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Great to see the update @john dew and that you now have a Saturday socially distance ritual.

We have fallen into a Friday night ritual with friends running our own quiz via FaceTime. 

We will get through this, although it’s a bit inconvenient, but it has meant I’ve done loads of work on Henley. It’s the start of week 5 over here.

Take care and stay safe.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/04/2020 at 15:31, trw1089 said:

Hi John

hope you and your wife are going well with all the pandemic hullabaloo.  Really enjoyed catching up on all things Granby, certainly some impressive work you’ve been doing with the post office and hotel buildings, and that parcels rail car is a beaut.

Take care

Tony

Hi Tony

Its good to hear from you and very nice of you to think of us.

We are both well  .....the lockdown doesnt affect us too much although we missed the usual big family dinner we normally have at Easter....we have had had a series of sunny days here so its all systems go in the garden.

I guess you have been busy at work...I get more updates from linkdin about you than I do of your layout! I do hope you are both well and coping  as best you can with all this disruption to everyday life.

Best wishes

John

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Neil.....glad you liked the layout.

Your address was a blast from the past.....I was born in Bebbington and lived in Heswall for 10 years before emigrating to Canada.....39 years ago, almost to the day.

Best wishes

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

You are certainly the master when it comes to painting figures, they look brilliant.

Also you are right about work, but the lockdown has meant no travel which has meant I’ve actually had some decent layout time of late.

Keep up the great work my friend!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Time to get these figures into a more realistic location

2117256255_0.7BeachScene.jpg.cc1ba66cbbc1db9e6cf73d5de205cfee.jpg

On a factory roof!

1526906545_0.8BWintro.jpg.a6ec846979c84236dc5ff3ffa8ce47c8.jpg

1534763244_1Longshot.jpg.c1fbb0c074985f4e7a754e0bb5911677.jpg

Wrights Soap Factory is right by the door and conceals the light switch.......so every day when I come down and turn the lights on I can smile at the thought of mill workers trying to get a sun tan in Oldham/ Granby

898089570_2PeopleonRoof.jpg.2cb3034d50c7399bd4d835716b721778.jpg

1511726022_3Closeup.jpg.5e2cee9decf3fcc054106d7a76e5b5e1.jpg

The mystery of the empty deck chair.......

The fourth figure in the kit was Miss Marple knitting a long woolen scarf.........hardly suitable for a mill roof

801045159_2Knitcloseup.jpg.9e165b204392d8d02a4f8a114c637548.jpg

So here she is posed more realistically, waiting for the autotrain at Brewery Lane Halt at the other end of the branch line

1425778947_1BreweryHalt.jpg.25ffbcc4a0a316f7e1036d4a1dd40a1f.jpg

I do hope you are all keeping well

Best wishes

John

Edited by john dew
25/8/22 Photos
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2