GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

Hi John,

That last photo of Brewery Lane is superb, I think I'll "borrow" some of those ideas for Heathfield and definitely for W-s-M Ashcombe Rd when WC&PR moves from the Virtual to the Real.

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, I'm really enjoying watching Granby's population growing. Those Modelu workmen by the warehouse add a nice touch of life. 

The sunbathers on the rooftop, is that an actual British custom of the past - or particular to the Granby universe? (real question). In any case, I'm curious and a little worried about that empty deckchair :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Most vehicles were kept relatively clean John, so I would worry too much about weathering vehicles.  I do like the roof top sun tan boutique, and the story behind it.

cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Hi John, I'm really enjoying watching Granby's population growing. Those Modelu workmen by the warehouse add a nice touch of life. 

The sunbathers on the rooftop, is that an actual British custom of the past - or particular to the Granby universe? (real question). In any case, I'm curious and a little worried about that empty deckchair :D

Hi Mikkel

That is very kind of you and much appreciated.

You had to go back a couple of posts for an explanation of the sun bathing:

"A bit of Family history may help.....I met Mrs D in Oldham (which perhaps explains why Granby sometimes looks more like a town in East Lancs than North Wales). Her Mum used to work in one of the many cotton mills there. In summer the mill girls used to sneak up to the roof during their dinner time in the hope of getting a tan. One has to admire their optimism! "

I should probably have underlined the last sentence!:D

And the mystery of the empty deck chair.......the deck chair in itself is a very ingenious brass fret and I liked the idea of one being on its own but I do feel that Miss Marple knitting on a mill roof would stretch even Agatha Christie's imagination!:unsure:

Best wishes

John

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, trw1089 said:

Most vehicles were kept relatively clean John, so I would worry too much about weathering vehicles.  I do like the roof top sun tan boutique, and the story behind it.

cheers

Tony

Hi Tony

I am so glad you like the sun bathing scene.....if nothing else it proves that not all GWR BLTs look the same:D

It was nice of you to reassure me about road vehicles being relatively clean in 1948.......but I fear you may be leading me into a trap regarding the relative climates either side of the Pennines:) I cant speak for 1948 but in Oldham, in the very early 60s, I have not so fond memories of the smog rolling up the Failsworth Road from Manchester.....my highly polished, souped up Ford Anglia didnt stay clean too long:D

Best wishes

John

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, john dew said:

A bit of Family history may help....

Ah yes I had missed that. People will always find a way to catch the sun light through the clouds.

On 21/04/2020 at 18:39, john dew said:

3_Close_up.jpg.e7301767c83dd69bceaddcbb5c67a9fc.jpg

The mystery of the empty deck chair.......

That chap under the newspaper looks extremely suspicious to me! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Ah yes I had missed that. People will always find a way to catch the sun light through the clouds.

That chap under the newspaper looks extremely suspicious to me! 

He is of couse dead.

No doubt poisoned, but how?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

On 22/04/2020 at 02:39, john dew said:

Time to get these figures into a more realistic location

109187487_0.7BeachScene.jpg.21733595409aa0d65e194f1d7bd632d9.jpg

On a factory roof!

Lovely work John but only one thing, the woman in the sunnies brings to mind that classic Monty Python line from "The Travel Agent" sketch where Eric Idle complains about British Tourists holidaying in sunnier climes....

".........sitting in their cotton frocks squirting Timothy White's suncream all over their puffy raw swollen purulent flesh 'cos they 'overdid it on the first day.'"

a perfect fit!

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Lovely work John but only one thing, the woman in the sunnies brings to mind that classic Monty Python line from "The Travel Agent" sketch where Eric Idle complains about British Tourists holidaying in sunnier climes....

".........sitting in their cotton frocks squirting Timothy White's suncream all over their puffy raw swollen purulent flesh 'cos they 'overdid it on the first day.'"

a perfect fit!

Colin

:D I’ll ave you know thats Gwyneth Jones from Accounts and her Mum is going to give her heck when she gets home for showing so much leg......whatever will they say in chapel?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, john dew said:

:D I’ll ave you know thats Gwyneth Jones from Accounts and her Mum is going to give her heck when she gets home for showing so much leg......whatever will they say in chapel?

That's funny! I used to know a Glenys Jones who was at teacher training college in Wrexham...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you so much for all the ticks......it is so encouraging.

Not sure if this post will be so popular. There are a few hand held shots that are a bit dodgy....I really need to invest in some sort of cantilevered tripod.....plus there are some computor screen shots!

I left you with 1206, a LMS Ivatt 2-6-2T, hauling a rake of 4 non corridor coaches on its way to Crewe

1_Intro.jpg.b4b735804548111fd83a75227d1bc56f.jpg

Nearing the end of its journey......having travelled at least 6' ......the train enters the approaches to "Crewe"

2.0_TT.jpg.04d39353d52a0afffc673e2069584123.jpg

Running parallel , as it leaves the storage turntable, is the relief loco 1202. This loco will eventually take the train back to Granby

2.1_Side.jpg.1dc7b82655262a9887df57025ccb9c62.jpg

This is a screenshot of the Storage Yard Block Diagram. Occupied blocks are coloured pink and display the train assigned to it. 

D5, the unoccupied block at the bottom, serves as the destination block for 5 different services from Granby......at any one time it can be Barmouth, Oswestry, Ruabon, Shrewsbury........right now its Crewe

1960655581_3Screenshot1.jpg.7662b4d9f41e8fc5b1490ffb5e10f00a.jpg

At the bottom is a blow up of D5. The red and yellow arrowheads represent brake and stop markers that are assigned to different schedules and or locos.

Each pair of brake and stop markers are set up with specific distances. D5 is 73" long  If I wanted the train to stop at the very end of the block the Stop marker would be set at 70" (to avoid fouling the adjacent line). The brake marker would be set to activate after the the train had traveled 46" from first entering the block.....once activated the train would progressively slow for 24".....finally stopping at  70"  

For this schedule I want the train to stop over the uncoupling magnet which is 54" from the start of the block.  

1075349933_3.2Braking.jpg.d93acbe507237a6828cc50beec125df4.jpg

The train having entered the block has to travel for 30" at 20mph before the brake marker is activated.. This screen grab was live so you can see  train has in fact travelled just over 30".........the uncoupling brake marker is activated ( Yellow square) and the loco throttle (bottom right) is showing just a littleless than 20 mph

The loco will progressively slow for the next 24"  and eventually crawl over the magnets:

3.9_Braking.jpg.40a2070a8d8a139db0b1dbb0d9a42ba3.jpg

Once the loco has traveled 54" the stop marker is activated

1678241485_4.1Stop.jpg.ff091eb3fef880ccee4f1841db5953f2.jpg

At the finish of every schedule you can set up a list of commands

478423645_5.1Uncouplecommands.jpg.b417d795fdff5e67e2044a1442d2e258.jpg

In this case the Kadee Shuffle and start the schedule to couple the relief loco at the other end of the train

5_Uncoupled.jpg.73f1a1dcc64a1fb3f7e69233d947dbfc.jpg

If you are following closely you may well wonder why the uncoupled loco has to move 7" away from train?

964296379_5.2Distance.jpg.ece97368c04e678cc76adb9a6a8d718f.jpg

The relief loco has not only to couple but also push back the train 4" to avoid fouling the main line exit point

5.3_Couple.jpg.ec66fbf8f3a714d56c9de71e6fa95821.jpg

At the end of the coupling schedule another list of commands

995732811_6Couple.jpg.2f47faba596a1c1fab8c2b78f6feb5df.jpg

Another Kadee Shuffle to ensure coupling has taken place

6.1_Coupled.jpg.53ccc36af1876c7f963d75675b08b501.jpg

Train Controller now matches what has happened on the layout .....1206, the original loco, is separated from the train.

429929847_10Coupled.jpg.db955c77d71e8f58507a9eeb12f33cfe.jpg

So there we have it......all done......full house!

11_Full_House.jpg.49794373ed99ec6924d4fa6fddba0322.jpg

D5 is not a storage siding as such. Trains ending a schedule here are essentially turned round and sent on their way. When not required they are stored elsewhere. The Crewe and Ruabon trains are stored adjacent to Granby Shed. In this photo, the GWR Barmouth train can be seen on the right. At the very top of the  sidings you can just see the 4 coach GWR suburban set.....patiently waiting for some large prairies.

Hope you enjoyed this.....I tried to keep the RR&Co stuff to a minimum but bearing in mind how essential it is to the operation of Granby I cant avoid mentioning it from time to time!  Other RR&Co users will note that, for simplicity, I glossed over the coupling schedule where the relief loco has to stop in an already occupied block......a tale for another day perhaps.

My best wishes from a very sunny Vancouver

John

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

No time for a post last week I am afraid.......gardening, including shifting 3 yards of top soil became a priority. I doubt if I spent more than an hour in the train room.

Since then we have had a couple of rainy days.....who would have thought one would welcome rain in the Pacific North West?

Time to catch up with the 4 coach LMS suburban set that we last saw arriving at Crewe (Storage siding D5) hauled by Ivatt 2-6-2T number 1206

Now on the return journey, another Ivatt, 1202, storms up Granby Bank:

1_1202_climbs_bank.jpg.86ea2efc27fa4c53491244316112fe5b.jpg

Once the train has cleared D5 the original loco 1206 moves to the storage turntable

1.5_1206_returns.jpg.6feabf7b6894e2fee371323d31f2cdb8.jpg

Here we see 1206 scurrying back to completely clear D5 so the block can then accept another Up suburban train from Granby

Meantime, 1202 continues on its journey to Granby with the Down train

2_1202_ballast_bin.jpg.3aa34713f310ee053c9d7c7ab9067f6b.jpg

3_1202_Richards_Wharf.jpg.f4e77337b47f1f9dbd59f1bf1ae823ea.jpg

Just like a stopped clock a fixed signal can occasionally be correct!

4.5_1202_appproaches_granby.jpg.64dbb787db04aebaa5640a232e4e0edf.jpg

As the train approaches Platform 6 the relief loco can be seen on the turntable

263799614_4.7Closeup.jpg.328480fac88ef6851502828cadfb8ec7.jpg

At one stage I had thought of doing a loco run around rather than an exchange at Granby but that would have meant Platform 5, the main Down line, being blocked. So I reverted to my usual pattern of three locos being allocated to a set train. One loco at each terminus and one on the train. When this train isnt being run, the carriages are stored in the vacant carriage siding seen above and two locos are in Granby Shed

Time to introduce the third member of the cast:

6_Closeup_on_TT.jpg.f6816fe48adf0c3e6cce263c96922863.jpg

Yet another Ivatt......this time the Class 2.... a 2-6-0 tender version. Although labelled 2F it was designed and used for mixed traffic duties and often seen with passenger trains in North Wales.

She is a brand new loco for Granby .......more on this next post.

For now......lets enjoy the sunshine!

Natural light and shadows........not often seen on Granby. The train room gets very little sun but in summer time there is a brief period in the late afternoon when one side of the layout is flooded with light. So much so that from some angles it is impossible to take photographs.

However, just occasionally the sun angle and subject position coincide with quite pleasing results:

5_6418_TT.jpg.368e3b27cae9745653e342632639875b.jpg

I hope you enjoy this picture as much as I do

Best wishes from Vancouver where there is still soil to shift and its started to rain.....not sure if I am pleased or sad!

John

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon from sunny Spain John.

I've just had a catch up with your last few posts - I love your block detection / controller details for the locos.

As ever, another busy day at Granby - thanks for sharing.

Regards, Neal.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely shots of the Ivatts, John.  I have a soft spot for them after traveling behind 41241 on the Worth Valley and weathering a few for my LMS inflicted friend as can be seen below.  I like hearing about your workings on Granby too, everything has a purpose.

F19E327C-3462-4A23-BE4C-633A6DBAF193.jpeg.f8ee19399d0c817291e4c588dd4b68df.jpegBA004292-9005-48B0-BD51-E4D9D3D7410F.jpeg.b6ba3c9fc7796dacd2d6afd5cbf79cf7.jpeg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony

Thanks for posting those photos......you are a master at weathering. I still use your Super D as a guide when weathering black locos. For some reason I struggle with black locos....much more comfortable with green ones......its no doubt all those panniers I have done!:D

I found the Ivatts particularly difficult because they had theoretically only been in service for about a year on Granby.......really filthy after wartime service is easier than slightly filthy! I think mine should perhaps be revisited!

Best wishes

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

No pretty scenery this week or mention of RR&Co........just a bit of philosophy and a sequence of workhorse photos as I continue to focus on my latest acquisition.

Regular readers will know that I use an old Army mantra to evaluate possible purchases:

Must have        Should have         Could have 

I always qualify this with the caveat that I am talking about discretionary spending on a hobby. "Must have" has a somewhat different connotation in the real world....particularly in 2020.

It does remain a useful way of evaluating priorities.......looking at new GWR releases this year.....

With a rake of 4 almost unused GWR suburban coaches, Granby must have one or more of Hornby's retooled large prairies.....now expected in June.

I should, and almost certainly will, buy a Mogul from Dapol........my Mainline split chassis expired years ago

I could........perhaps.... buy one of Bachmann's 94xx  panniers.....4 or is it 5 years in the making.... now due December. However only 9 were built in 1947and only one ventured north .....to Wolverhampton..........stretching towards Rule 1 territory

Rule 1 is always a convenient get out but, to my mind, if applied without question can negate all the effort that has gone into the layout to ensure some sort of historic accuracy.

Here is a good example :

d4s-010-010.jpg.a964d7b06c1c1e83f9df3a7d19e9583b.jpg

Rails/Dapol Terrier!  Absolutely stunning model with great reviews. I spent a considerable time trying to devise a justification for running one on Granby.

Problem is the GWR only had two (taken over from the Weston Clevedon and Portishead Light Railway in Somerset) and #6 was scrapped January 1948...........with the sunbathing scene Granby is definitely placed in the early summer of 1948!  Reluctantly I decided this was a case of "Should not"

However Bachmann's Ivatt Class 2 , seen here straight out of the box, easily qualified as a " Could have"

1_6418_Out_of_box.jpg.187f1865863b98dc6534197306ecc3e1.jpg

Not only was there an operating requirement with the 4 car LMS suburban set, the locos were introduced in 1946 and operated in North Wales.

However the price was the clincher......79 GBP and that is before deducting VAT. Thats the sort of pricing I remember from over a decade ago. Recommended retail is shown as about 150 GBP although I think regular retail was close to 120 GBP.

Not sure what went wrong with Bachman's sales estimates but throughout this year there have been a series of heavily discounted prices on a very wide range of their locos. Smaller retailers and customers who paid full price on initial release would not have been too impressed.

I am beginning to think I should add a rider to "could have" purchases.......never buy on initial release!

I must say I am very happy with my new purchase. Good finish with some very fine detailing and smooth running and perhaps most important decent haulage. She coped with the climbing curve out of the storage sidings without difficulty.....which is not the case with some locos out of the box.

LMS drivers nicknamed the class "Mickey Mouse".........Mighty Mouse might be equally appropriate

Looking a bit too pristine in the storage yard

2_Storage.jpg.ed0917212c53fce6a5ac1f8c4e6aa28f.jpg

This shot was intended to show just how diminutive she actually is. On reflection comparing her with a Super D and a Castle is hardly fair! At  least it gives us another opportunity to admire Tony's weathering!  That Super D has more Air Miles than most....China-UK-Australia-Canada

Lightly weathered with just a little real coal, crew, Class B headlamp code,tender pickups and a Lenz Silver Chip

371754762_3Weathered.jpg.3a00fe9d8247b70c44561b4a6a11f36c.jpg

.Now by way of contrast a few related locos:

Ex Midland Johnson 3F 0-6-0.........one of the many ageing locos the Ivatt was designed to replace

1384172598_43205.jpg.6a9c0110288bd3021300fac20250f7fc.jpg

6418s big sister Ivatt Class 4 2-6-0  4F       

5.0.jpg.81ff540610205e380b3ce782fa937cff.jpg

Commonly known, with some justification, as "Mucky Ducks".

Some might say it is a triumph of function over design.......Wikipedia suggests that some enthusiasts think it the ugliest British Loco ever.

I have had this loco for many years and never used it very much.....it probably qualifies as a "shoudn't have". I finally got the pick ups sorted and she can now be seen regularly on the Down goods circuit.

This is a better comparison shot

5.1.jpg.e0a4a4ceac885ce64dcfc3f31db14baa.jpg

To finish a too lengthy post, here is a repeat shot of 6418 moving off shed to take over the Granby-Crewe run.

7_B&W.jpg.70b698fc573e21271c72484000b30c4d.jpg

Best wishes from Vancouver

• Like 13

1 hour ago, john dew said:

Rails/Dapol Terrier!  Absolutely stunning model with great reviews. I spent a considerable time trying to devise a justification for running one on Granby.

Problem is the GWR only had two (taken over from the Weston Clevedon and Portishead Light Railway in Somerset) and #6 was scrapped January 1948...........with the sunbathing scene Granby is definitely placed in the early summer of 1948!  Reluctantly I decided this was a case of "Should not"

Well John, if t'were me, I'd have come up with some tale of finding it on some obscure siding behind the engine shed, or similar.  Too good to ignore!

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, john dew said:

With a rake of 4 almost unused GWR suburban coaches, Granby must have one or more of Hornby's retooled large prairies.....now expected in June.

I should, and almost certainly will, buy a Mogul from Dapol........my Mainline split chassis expired years ago

I could........perhaps.... buy one of Bachmann's 94xx  panniers.....4 or is it 5 years in the making.... now due December. However only 9 were built in 1947and only one ventured north .....to Wolverhampton..........stretching towards Rule 1 territory

All of those are on my "will have" list - is that a fourth category?

Hi John

Superb work on the Mill you have an artists eye for painting and posing your figures into beautiful little cameos.

If I could make a couple of points based on my own research

The hoist end usually had a stop on to prevent the pulley block overrunning, depends on type.

Safety chains were fitted across most doorways above ground level, these could be unhooked for larger loads.

955398136_IMG_2154(2).JPG.1fb29d50f8ea738002e7b8531c57430c.JPG

Hope you don't mind but I was an apprentice in't Mill in my younger days

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4