GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the comments and buttons guys.

Its time for some loco photos

I spent most of my modelling time last week working on Passenger train operation.The branch trains to the North have well established routines but the longer expresses which start and finish in the storage yard are basically just roundy roundy circuits........fine for watching the trains go by but not exactly imaginative.

I want to bring the shed routines into play and also develop some out and back routines involving the second (slightly quirky) turntable in the storage yard. In addition, of course, I need to accommodate the imminent arrival of a four car set of Collett non-corridor coaches  .............more on this another time as I work out how to shoe-horn them into an already over crowded storage yard

Meanwhile, to start, here is the station with everything back in place. With taxis still parked optimistically outside the non existent Station Hotel. 

589574333_1BWintro.jpg.2837980bb1ae27a3caf4ee1b5519aaba.jpg

9003 "Dukedog" approaching Granby viaduct with a train of Collett Bow end corridor stock

2.jpg.8e000ec7ac5b1ff6ede3859cded3c571.jpg

This is my Cambrian special......which I already run out and back. Currently the storage siding is labelled Phwelli but I am not convinced this would have been the terminus for a regular service from Chester/Wrexham. I guess I have to root around in the timetables I downloaded........unless someone already knows the answer.

The express approaching on the Up line is the 9.35 am Birkenhead Woodside-Paddington  (I am quite happy with this one!).........this routine is just a circuit and one I hope to convert to out and back with loco exchanges in the storage yard and Granby .

The train is hauled by 1029 County of Worcester. I have had this loco for about 20 years and sadly this was its last appearance in working mode. I have always had a soft spot for it but reluctantly came to the conclusion that its performance just wasnt consistent enough to be involved in loco exchanges........its in the display case (grave yard) now  

3Halt.jpg.5b6521d7257b3b4c8ea3dea127624c02.jpg

Conversely the Dukedog about which I initially had reservations has turned out to be super reliable. It shares the Cambrian duties with two very elderly but equally reliable Manors

594635329_4Viaduct.jpg.b43fcb710b90ee4cb6c904ae4e15f6cd.jpg

For once I dont think that have to apologise for a "cruel close up"

30480327_5BWcloseup.jpg.4a91399a05e3a802664cb6234c1703ab.jpg

The background is a bit obtrusive but otherwise I quite like that shot

Black and white to finish and then back to getting the trains running on time http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_lol.gif

5963576_7xingBW.jpg.d4a14a3fe49a3049fcce88ba34ad404f.jpg

Regards from Vancouver

Edited by john dew
Photos 4/9/22
  • Like 19

Perhaps a train to Afonwen via the North Wales Coast? Serving lots of local stations as far as Bangor then the LMS route across to connect with a Cambrian Pwhelli service at Afonwen.

Love the layout and look forward to seeing many more photos and videos!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is my Cambrian special......which I already run out and back. Currently the storage siding is labelled Phwelli but I am not convinced this would have been the terminus for a regular service from Chester/Wrexham. I guess I have to root around in the timetables I downloaded........unless someone already knows the answer.

John, I've got some extracts from:

Summer 1959 Passenger WTT Ruabon - Barmouth section

Summer 1959 Passenger & Freight WTT Machynlleth - Pwllheli section

Winter 1949-50 Passenger WTT Ruabon - Barmouth sectoin.

There are definitely some trains between Birkenhead/Wrexham and Barmouth/Pwllheli over the Cambrian Coast line. If you would like more specific details I can either post them here or send you a PM.

• RMweb Premium

The close up Dukedog with the  Hawksworth County approaching is great - definitely no need for apologies on that close up.

And sorry to hear of the demise of the big County.  An Early Dapol?   Worth looking out for a Hornby more recent version?

Best wishes.

• RMweb Gold

John, I've got some extracts from:

Summer 1959 Passenger WTT Ruabon - Barmouth section

Summer 1959 Passenger & Freight WTT Machynlleth - Pwllheli section

Winter 1949-50 Passenger WTT Ruabon - Barmouth sectoin.

There are definitely some trains between Birkenhead/Wrexham and Barmouth/Pwllheli over the Cambrian Coast line. If you would like more specific details I can either post them here or send you a PM.

Hi John

If you could let me have some details of Winter 1949-50 that would be perfect......I am really just interested in start and finish times at Ruabon and Barmouth and daily frequency.......its fine to post here

I think I will re label the storage siding to Barmouth ....at least I can spell that.

As an aside have you any suggestions where I could obtain a time table for 47-48? I have downloaded some but I would much prefer a hard copy as a more immediate reference

Best wishes

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The close up Dukedog with the  Hawksworth County approaching is great - definitely no need for apologies on that close up.

And sorry to hear of the demise of the big County.  An Early Dapol?   Worth looking out for a Hornby more recent version?

Best wishes.

Thanks Tinker

I think it was Hornby....  It was ok on the express passenger circuit I ran but once she needed to stop very accurately an inch or so beyond the uncoupling  magnet it was time for retirement and a better use of the chip.

Whats the consensus on the Hornby Railroad County.......good reliable runner? I have absolutely no complaints about Hornby's cheap Hall......in fact one was the lead actor in the turntable video. there was no contest in the trials with a couple of Bachmann Halls.

Best wishes

John

• RMweb Premium

Hi John

If you could let me have some details of Winter 1949-50 that would be perfect......I am really just interested in start and finish times at Ruabon and Barmouth and daily frequency.......its fine to post here

I think I will re label the storage siding to Barmouth ....at least I can spell that.

As an aside have you any suggestions where I could obtain a time table for 47-48? I have downloaded some but I would much prefer a hard copy as a more immediate reference

Best wishes

John

Will do John. I should have time to do that tomorrow, which is our Australia Day public holiday (the day itself was yesterday but when it's at a weekend we get a day off the following Monday).

I can't really suggest anywhere specific for WTTs. The 49-50 one came from a book lent to me by a friend who has a model inspired by Barmouth and for whom I drew up a sequence. I've downloaded various others from the internet and in the good old days bought them from preserved railways, secondhand stalls at shows, folk on forums like this who had copies and so on.

• RMweb Premium

Will do John. I should have time to do that tomorrow, which is our Australia Day public holiday (the day itself was yesterday but when it's at a weekend we get a day off the following Monday).

I can't really suggest anywhere specific for WTTs. The 49-50 one came from a book lent to me by a friend who has a model inspired by Barmouth and for whom I drew up a sequence. I've downloaded various others from the internet and in the good old days bought them from preserved railways, secondhand stalls at shows, folk on forums like this who had copies and so on.

Right, here goes. It's slightly complicated as the 1949-50 WTT pages I have don't show the origin/destination of all trains North of Ruabon, so I've used the corresponding trains in the 1959 WTT to guess. I've also ignored trains that definitely don't run to/from Birkenhead beyond Chester (some Paddington or Birmingham expresses, for example). There also seem to be 6 Down trains but only 5 Up. I think the "missing" train might be a freight that starts from Barmouth Junction rather than Barmouth itself at 1900.

Down trains

0325 Chester class D mails and freight Ruabon 0417 Barmouth 0703

0703 Wrexham class B passenger Ruabon 0718 Barmouth 1008 (to Pwllheli SO)

0750 Birkenhead class B passenger Ruabon 0931 Barmouth 1208 (to Pwllheli)

1230 Birkenhead class B passenger Ruabon 1407 Barmouth 1645

1515 Wrexham class A passenger Ruabon 1545 Barmouth 1745 (to Pwllheli)

1707 Birkenhead class B passenger Ruabon 1855 Barmouth 2135

Up trains

0718 Barmouth class B passenger Ruabon 0943 (to Wrexham)

1010 Barmouth class B passenger Ruabon 1238 (to Birkenhead)

1130 Pwllheli class A passenger Barrmouth 1312 Ruabon 1520 (to Wrexham)

1245 Pwllheli class B passenger Barmouth 1436 Ruabon 1720 (to Birkenhead)

1920 Barmouth class B passenger & mails Ruabon 2154 (to Chester)

Hope this makes sense!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

Thank you so much for taking the time to look that up for me.

I really had no idea at all about timings or frequency. It is exactly what I needed ....very helpful.

I imagine the summer timetable would show a marked increase In SO trains

Thanks again

John

• RMweb Premium

I can't believe that a forum search using the word "Granby" didn't reveal this thread!!!!!

The new mechanics of the site will take some getting used to..............

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

As Andy explained in the forum software update thread the site is still indexing and he has temporarily stiched the search function to google. I just googled Granby using the search option and apart from the first two items being adverts I got pages and pages of results referring to John's Granby :D  Once indexing catches up Andy will no doubt be switching the search facility internally again but the indexing does have some 10 years and 3.5 million items to rummage through lol 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

171326121_1BlackandWhite.jpg.81550244d61e3724a6fb4ade0c34970e.jpg

I definitely approve of the new method of inserting photos........much easier and I like being able to see the photo that I writing about rather than a file#

Most of my modelling time has been devoted to the 4 out and back passenger services that I mentioned last post. Two will start from Granby and two from "Chester" (Up Storage sidings  U5 and U1). All 4 will terminate in the Down Storage siding D5 .....Whitchurch/Oswestry/Barmouth/Shrewsbury

Lots of planning and testing.....quite apart from setting up the uncoupling magnets and RR&Co stop and brake markers I cant have the trains lingering in D5 because it provides the only access to the storage turntable and is the principal down freight route! 

This week I have been setting up the Chester-Oswestry Schedules .......seen here departing for Chester (U1) from Granby Platform  5

1395392392_2FullTrain.jpg.0b5fce1c9800aa18e94cfb50199ad4a9.jpg

Both Carriages and Loco are temporary understudies. The plan is to eventually use the new Hornby Collet non corridor coaches hauled by the new large Prairie. Hopefully the coaches will be in Vancouver towards the end of March but the Prairies are not expected until the fall.

So the train spotters will be seeing 1202 Ivatt 2-6-2T for a few months

1983163521_3Closeup.jpg.2115d664706c4ac6d4fe465379ebd1b2.jpg 

She is a real Granby veteran......in fact I think it was her arrival almost 20 years ago that caused me to stretch Granby's time period to the spring of 1948. She was probably one of the first split chassis locos that I chipped. This was before I appreciated that when it comes to decoders you get what you pay for.....low price doesnt necessarily mean good value. She is still a good reliable runner but lacks the precise stopping I now expect. I have bitten the bullet and a Lenz replacement decoder is on the way.

I digress........here 1202 continues her journey to Chester

1480387704_3.1Goods.jpg.0b576e2969869ade6c8ec4d030e75fdd.jpg

Incidentally, there is nothing too incongruous about a LMS loco hauling GWR stock out of Granby. The Chester-Birkenhead line was a joint railway and I have just stretched the boundaries a little. In fact with a new decoder she may well share duties with the Prairie on a permanent basis.

1681145753_5BWapproachingstorage.jpg.560ef47f35da89af16a86f91bb17baae.jpg

And enters U1 which she will share with a 6 coach express passenger

1729485558_6EnteringU1.jpg.e8489bcc71c808078e264c614793a048.jpg

1860315304_6.1Storagecloseup.jpg.83194678a7a12dd16e540355eee9d09c.jpg

Sorry about the focus.....I needed the shot to show the relief loco stabled in U2........its actually in front of an  Up Parcels train.

Some of the Metcalfe Terrace screen temporarily removed as 1202 approaches the uncoupling magnet

2077709461_6.2Uncoupler.jpg.a891012a9aae9f51672018e99af5329e.jpg

Typically I set the stop marker so that the loco overruns the magnet stopping with the coupling 2" in front. After a suitable pause the loco moves back 3" another pause and then having uncoupled.... forward  6".......the Kadee Shuffle.

1642867729_6.3Uncoupled.jpg.c54c9274ff35c25d6d45d91f416a923f.jpg)

I like the loco to move a reasonable distance forward (without fouling the other train in the siding) so that I can actually check over the terraces that it is clear and to be far enough away from the coaches that they dont re- join when the relief couples at the other end

Talking of which.....while the uncoupling takes place the relief moves out from U2 on to the main line

816258880_8Relief.jpg.16a77fba5f952cdd82f90a3ca72c40a7.jpg

6694  56xx 0-6-2 last seen hauling a coal train from Bersham up Cynwyd bank......with the lamps to prove it...........I did say these are understudies! 56xx were used for passengers services in South Wales but I understand it was unlikely in my area......however needs must until the Prairie arrives

Couldnt get an actual shot of 6694 coupling because the Warehouse got in the way but here to finish is an overall shot of the storage yard from the other end of the room .......you can just see 6694 at the head of the 4 coach train on the left (Chester!)

140359477_9.1Storage.jpg.850f048dea103ec425c0c834f9e340ba.jpg

On the right by the back scene with the LMS 4 coach set is D5......LMS is there it must be Shrewsbury......when 6694 arrives it will become Oswestry!

The loco exchange here is much more complex and hopefully I can get some better photos of the process for next week.

Finally its Six Nations time again and this year I am able to watch it live again......based on last week it takes forever for the repeat to be shown so I guess I will be up at 6.15am tomorrow for the Scotland v Ireland.......fortunately the England games have somewhat later kick offs. For those who follow rugby, you can imagine I was  pretty ecstatic about Ireland v England:dance_mini:

Regards from a very cold Vancouver (-8o)

John

• Like 15

John,

the new site is VG, I don't even need to come here as your whole post appeared in my in-box! I just popped by to post a reply!

Very nice work, it's all looking superb as ever. minus 80 sounds way too cold for Vancouver or was that minus 8F also cold enough?

pity you can't mail that and some of your rain to over here as we swelter thru a long dry hot summer in Melbourne.

a few items OT I'll send via PM,

regards,

Colin

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

John,

the new site is VG, I don't even need to come here as your whole post appeared in my in-box! I just popped by to post a reply!

Very nice work, it's all looking superb as ever. minus 80 sounds way too cold for Vancouver or was that minus 8F also cold enough?

pity you can't mail that and some of your rain to over here as we swelter thru a long dry hot summer in Melbourne.

a few items OT I'll send via PM,

regards,

Colin

Sorry about the temperature it was meant to be minus eight celsius! Which is abnormally cold for lotusland as opposed to anyone living in Winnipeg where it would be viewed as quite pleasant!

I saw the error on preview but couldnt work out how to get back to edit.....no doubt I will work it out eventually

Thanks for the nice comments will PM shortly

Best wishes

• RMweb Gold
On 27/01/2019 at 07:47, St Enodoc said:

This is the best source I know of for online access to Western (Great and Region) STTs/WTTs but it is only a snapshot in terms of years covered -

http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/article/working-timetables/553

In terms of laying hands on real ones a lot is down to luck and being in the right place at the right (or sometimes wrong) time.  I have what I would term an eclectic collection but it is only complete for the entire GWR network in a set of officially combined volumes (stitched together for part of 1938 and 1947.  Even my 'last year of the broad gauge' combined volume, which once graced the bookshelves of a chap by the name of MacDermot,  is not a complete combined volume of all the then current STTs.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

This is the best source I know of for online access to Western (Great and Region) STTs/WTTs but it is only a snapshot in terms of years covered -

http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/article/working-timetables/553

In terms of laying hands on real ones a lot is down to luck and being in the right place at the right (or sometimes wrong) time.  I have what I would term an eclectic collection but it is only complete for the entire GWR network in a set of officially combined volumes (stitched together for part of 1938 and 1947.  Even my 'last year of the broad gauge' combined volume, which once graced the bookshelves of a chap by the name of MacDermot,  is not a complete combined volume of all the then current STTs.

Indeed Mike - that's where my 1959 Chester and Oswestry ones came from.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have continued developing/testing/playing with my 4 car suburban passenger routines. Last post finished with a shot of a recently arrived LMS set....allegedly in Shrewsbury 

Here we see LMS 4F 3851 at the start of the return journey to Granby. Although primarily used for freight it was not uncommon to see these 0-6-0 locos on local passenger services.

I probably should have given a health warning before showing this shot......although I have never claimed that the track on Granby is particularly well laid.......with good reason some might say

16331967_2ExitYard.jpg.09bc581355769ee7873804513e68ba45.jpg

1206, the loco by the coal stage, is another Ivatt 2-6-2T. It will eventually relieve the GWR 4 car set which you last saw at the other end of the storage yard.

1530791023_3Viaduct1.jpg.174abb3b16190bdf1384b8b22599d834.jpg

The LMS set will eventually be composed of Hornby's excellent non corridor coaches....Brake 3rd at each end sandwiching an all 3rd and a 1st/3rd composite. This set came about when, before Christmas, Kernow offered the coaches at 25 GBP......amazing value ......current price is close to 40 GBP!  Right now its a bit of a mish mash....in my excitement I ordered two in BR livery so I have to wait for the replacements to come back.

No head code lamps as yet while I sort out which locos to permanently allocate.

A couple of years ago I built a street scene over the turntable roads featuring the Bilteezi tenements. It looked quite effective but as the turntable usage increased I proved, yet again, that covering high usage storage lines is not a good idea! The tenements have now found a permanent home behind the other turntable. Refinishing the wall is on the lengthy to do list

1198631449_5.0Relieflocos.jpg.c1de517bda9d2971344e59a96ca8e5fa.jpg

Once the train has cleared the D5 storage block 3001  Ivatt 2-6-0, the original incoming loco, is released and reverses on to the Turntable Entry Road

At the same time the tank engine 1206 crawls forward on the Exit road as it is the next loco out

2144245398_5.1onTT.jpg.269716ec0601a7e0bd3a5d4259049291.jpg

3001 on the turntable and then turned ready to move on to the Exit road

1435173172_5.5relieflocos.jpg.27d3835fbecc7f12c84babe0716e7be5.jpg

Meanwhile the LMS train continues towards Granby

1742712997_5.72259TT.jpg.517aeb7f6bae15c412a4102f685339ac.jpg

As 3851 passes Granby Shed its relief loco, another 0-6-0, a Collet Goods in war time Black, moves on to the turntable to exit the shed

1166834314_5.82259closeup.jpg.ab58d1e4ee99b91000072718fb77f546.jpg

After that tale of two turntables now something different

1379104323_6_01P6.jpg.ba379143a4ab644c4209e83674fb05d3.jpg

Granby Junction with most of the roof removed showing both the new scratch 4 car LMS set at Platform 6 in the rear and one of the long established north bound sets in Bay Platform 2 in the foreground.

The Collet Goods has left the turntable on to the shed exit road and can just be seen under what remains of the roof

467347563_6_02P6.jpg.529b6eb1e79b9f4ae4853ddd6a6d4e73.jpg

4 coaches can only just be accommodated on Platform 6. After the train has arrived there RR&Co has to do quite a lot of shuffling. Both uncoupling 3851 and moving the coaches forward so that the relief loco can enter the P6 road to couple at the other end

489895300_6.24Funcouples.jpg.52a81a75165b6b3e806ad9ca58371815.jpg

1235223324_82259couples.jpg.13397cea616241eeab1dda3507509b47.jpg

While this is going on the cycle continues as the GWR set featured in the last post enters the station on the main Up line

220118838_9GWR.jpg.f19390cf57ba28e522cfeb825239369a.jpg

1651585524_I12BW.jpg.9e149e23cf094d09d017d4f001c5600c.jpg

Regards from Vancouver where it is cold, icy and quite treacherous underfoot

• Like 15

Excellent work as usual, I was very impressed with the RR&Co sequences but could I ask what happens if a loco sticks or stalls, does it throw the timings out or does the controller compensate for it.

I was thinking of some form of auto sequencing on my layout but as we all know locos don't always do what you want them to.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, richard.h said:

Excellent work as usual, I was very impressed with the RR&Co sequences but could I ask what happens if a loco sticks or stalls, does it throw the timings out or does the controller compensate for it.

I was thinking of some form of auto sequencing on my layout but as we all know locos don't always do what you want them to.

Thanks Richard

Train Controller doesnt know if a loco stalls or hesitates. It just assumes it is continuing to move at the defined speed for that schedule. If the loco isnt required to stop in that block its no big deal ....a swift hand from the sky and it continues on its way.

Its a different matter if a loco has to stop in the block......particularly over an uncoupling magnet. You pre define the block speed and stop distance from the entrance to the block. Based on the known loco characteristics (every loco is laboriously profiled) TC carries out a time and distance calculation from the moment the loco enters the block. 90% of the time the loco stops within less than an inch of the marker. If it hesitates though the calculation continues uninterrupted and the loco stops short...........which can be tiresome!

Prevention is the best cure....Clean track and wheels,added and or adjusted pickups, standardised decoders (I use Lenz), careful profiling and a ruthless approach to any erratic performance.  As an example the DJM 14xxs are gorgeous locos but sadly they have both been relegated to less glamorous duties where precise stopping is not essential. 

Many of my automatic sequences require very limited supervision maybe just a quick visual check that uncoupling/uncoupling has taken place...........some of the more complex ones can see me hovering like an anxious  mother hen!

Hope this helps

Best wishes

John

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Rosse & Black! I wonder how many stores they have had around the world over the years...

Indeed!

Its the lettering style and the overall look of the fascia that appeals to me. Metcalfe and Scalescene provide far more substantial structures with crisper printing but the lettering invariably shouts out sixties!

I imagine you are enjoying the Six Nations? I certainly am...........when I referred to the station roof being off I thought of working in a reference to the Millenium Stadium at Cardiff but decided it would probably be too obscure for most of my readers.

Cheers

• Like 1