GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

• RMweb Gold

This is a continuation of Granby Junction my somewhat sporadic layout thread on RMWeb3.....retitled to give a clearer indication of content. I started a blog but realised , even though I didnt get a lot of feedback on Granby,thats what I really want to generate. A topic seems to me to be a more appropriate format in which to have a discussion where the contribuitions can be easily read within the original context.

I model alone, dont really belong to a club other than RMWeb and it is to the RMWeb community that I turn to whenever I have a query or problem. So even though I describe my modelling as broad brush, coarse gauge and parts of the layout look like cliche city......well right now its a GWR BLT in front of a largish storage yard without entry or exit.......... I hope that this weekly report ( well thats the plan) will generate a reasonable amount of comment, suggestions and criticism (I have very broad shoulders and I want to learn!)......particularly as I start to design the other half of the layout.

You can read the story so far on the old web site.......viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34266& start=0&st=0&sk=t& sd=a .

For those who dont wish to trudge through a load of old posts here is a brief summary: the layout measures 18' x10' .

post-465-12578197041259_thumb.jpg

The long left hand side (which as yet unsure.gif is completely undesigned is intended to be the focus of the layout with a joint line (GWR/LMS) terminus handling a varierty of passenger trains along with a four road engine shed. The short ends essentially just serve to connect the long sides although the end nearest to the camera will have a viaduct and coal mine

The long right hand side , which is almost complete, consists of a ten road storage yard , concealed by a narrow street scene in front of which is a low level branch terminus with goods yard and sub shed. Here is a quick overview.....lots of detailing still to do

post-465-12578304143938_thumb.jpg

The room is rectangular, the layout is an elongated oval resulting in outer and inner corners that have to be landscaped (or in this case "townscaped")

Here is the outer corner

post-465-12578307350102_thumb.jpg

A mixture of Townscene cut outs and Metcalfe Houses. The track in the foreground is the four road exit from the storage yards.

I like Metcalfe units (usual disclaimer) they may not suit the purist but with a little detailing they are perfect for broad brush coarse gauge.

post-465-12578311627508_thumb.jpg

Here is a before and after of the inner corner

post-465-12578313629119_thumb.jpg

More Metcalfe Kits and the start of the retaining wall that runs the whole length of the left hand side

post-465-12578315698844_thumb.jpg

These shops are not quite in character.....as I wrote in my last thread....too prosperous...too smug....too southern (spoke an ex-scouser) not gritty enough for a welsh mining town.........but needs must...they were a relic from a previous layout and at least fill the gap.

post-465-12578318434222_thumb.jpg

Iain Rice's book on Industrial Layouts was a big influence in my design......he maintains skew bridges are a key signature item....here is my version

post-465-12578322920598_thumb.jpg

Here is the long narrow street scene that conceals the storage yard........more and more Metcalfe Units

The houses are set up as sub units so they can easily be moved to access the storage yard.

post-465-12578330620037_thumb.jpg

post-465-1257833073235_thumb.jpg

The rudiments of the station are in the foreground. The walls are Langley Kits some are over 15 years old. The "Ivy" is intended to cover wear and tear but it is more difficult blend in units painted this summer with the originals

post-465-12578332417551_thumb.jpg

These two shots from either end of the room complete the summary of my backscene progress........hopefully the sheer length of the terrace serves to convey a more gritty Northern atmosphere.

post-465-12578338546372_thumb.jpg

post-465-12578338645383_thumb.jpg

This has turned out to be a lengthier summary than I intended......in the next day or so I will write about my progress with the branch station.

Regards from Vancouver......where it is still raining sad.gif

Edited by john dew
Title update
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the kind words Mick and it is, indeed, time to write about the foreground or Branch. The sub title talks of a "Novices Experiences!" So here goes:

To start with I have attached the original track plan which represents the way the layout looked at the end of the summer. It is not to scale but does show the layout.

post-465-12578980417705_thumb.jpg

As I said in the first post the main focus is on the uncompleted (actually not started) left hand side of the room. The branch was just intended to be part of the screen in front of the storage sidings and provide me with a test bench where I could learn by experience the challenges of installing a DCC layout for the first time.

The actual measurements are now 14' x 11" so there is not a lot of width to play with and at the time I was concerned with the space required for the (then unbuilt) exits on either end of the storage yard which required 36" min radius curves. As a result I compressed the branch length resulting in a number of design/operational flaws including facing points to both the coal yard and the overcrowded goods yard.

Anyway I pressed ahead completed the track laying, wiring and testing without too many problems and then finished the ballasting and actually posted pictures of the yard on my old thread.

post-465-12579003085646_thumb.jpg

Then as I continued to experiment with DCC and computor control, and great fun it was, disaster struck...........the points are all electrofrog and the polarity is (was) switched by peco switches. Three of the switches failed (there is a whole series of threads about what bad new these switches are and I totally agree).......the point would throw but the power to the frog wouldnt switch. Naturally, even though, it was the front of the layout the switches were very difficult to access.....I solved this by surface mounting them and concealing them under structures......but it was a real pain because it is quite difficult to get surface mounts positioned exactly right so they will throw both point and switch.

And then this little beauty went!

post-465-12578993385468_thumb.jpg

So thinking positively (albeit with some difficulty) I decided to focus on finishing the storage yards where I was able to apply some of these lessons by switching first to peco micro switches, then to regular microswitches and although these are working fine I have been convinced by the arguments on this forum to switch to Tortoises which I am using on all new installations.

Once the storage yards where completed, 24 points and 20 blocks later, I realised I had overestimated the space required for the storage yard so I decided to bite the bullet and rip out the 3 way point and relay the goods yard so that the entrance would come from the relief loop....eliminating the carriage siding and I could add a bit of length :

post-465-12578980623164_thumb.jpg

I am quite pleased with this relay which is now completed because it opened up a number of operational possibilities which I think I will have to write about tomorrow because its getting late and for some reason I cant attach any more files

More tomorrow.....and there is a happy endingrolleyes.gif

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have to say I am getting seriously frustrated......this is the third time I have tried to post and each time I preview when I go back to edit I get page expired and when I refresh my post has gone.....so this is third and last.......... you will get it as it comes............. no preview

To continue......as I experimented with RR&Co I realised that the branch had much more operating potential than I had originally envisaged. Furthermore I was worried that the long coal trains, a "signature" component of the layout were in danger of clogging the main line operation (20+ wagons ...way below prototype but still 7' long)

However if I raise the (undesigned unbuilt) left hand terminus boards by 1" I can set up a narrow 2 road storage yard which will provide the branch with an autotrain (naturally), a daily workmens train. daily pick up goods and bi weekly cattle train. Roundy roundy for sure but with RR&co I believe I can achieve automatic out and back.....ie the pick up goods comes down from the main, shunts the yard, departs to the storage yard and emerges some time later, tender first, brake at the back ......all untouched by human hand. More importantly I can connect the yard so that I can store the coal trains there and they will be able to appear to go to and from the (unbuilt) coal mine in a more plausible manner and I will be able to bank the laden train up the 1:40 incline to the main....again courtesy of RR&Co

Nothing like nailing one's colours to the mast! Anyway thats the plan and you should be able to read about it in the new year!

Meantime I am focussing on completing the trackwork on the two end 10' connecting boards and detailinf the various elements of the branch

My particular focus right now is the yard as I try to complete the relay discussed in my earlier post

This is what the yard looked like 2 weeks ago......more like the proverbial bomb site.....quite appropriate for a 1947 layout

post-465-1258430310301_thumb.jpg

These shots show the relaid cobblestones in the yard with the space built up for the shed.....this time I have set the underlay so that the pavings are flush with the track...........much better

post-465-1258430308004_thumb.jpg

post-465-12584303425945_thumb.jpg

post-465-12584303550768_thumb.jpg

The main branch line going to the storage yard is in the foreground......the line above on the old layout went in a very non protypical fashion to the cattle dock............now it goes to the colliery and the cattle dock siding is contained within the goods yard........again much better

I am working on completing the retaining walls and I should have shots of those tomorrow.

Kind Regards from a very wet and windy Vancouver

• RMweb Gold

OK change of scenery....I did some more work on the Goods Yard today but nothing worth photographing so I thought I would post some work I did earlier when RM Web was down. This is the Branch Engine Shed which is at the opposite end of the layout.....you can see the location on the track plan.

Like most of this coarse gauge layout its heavily based on Kits......the Shed is by Ratio...... my very first model when I first started 15+ years ago.

post-465-12585227888248_thumb.jpg

With one reservation I am quite happy with the finished result.....I wanted to convey the atmosphere of a a small, fairly busy, shed

set up in a confined industrial/town setting. The shed will eventually be home to a couple of 0-6-0 57xx tanks running the Autotrain and the banking duties......in fact you can see the start of the branch line leading up to the main in the foreground.

post-465-12585227911124_thumb.jpg

The reservation is the Metcalfe Town Centre Shops which you can see above the retaining wall.....and to my mind look quite out of place...they should be grimy stone mills or run down shops/pubs but that means time away from the main construction so for now I will put up with it and just moan from time to time

post-465-12585227685514_thumb.jpg

The coal stage is scratch built.......nothing too complicated! I have a Ratio Kit with a Mikes Models coal crane but it didnt look right so I made this. I suspect most of the coaling would really have been done direct from the waggon

There is an ash pit but its not too clear and I know there is nowhere near enough ash......Someone suggested BBQ ash so I carefully didnt clean out the last BBQ went to collect the Ash only to find someone had cleared it all out....to be helpfulangry.gif ......so there will be some additions to this next summer.

post-465-12585227714653_thumb.jpg

post-465-12585227656474_thumb.jpg

post-465-12585227938661_thumb.jpg

Ive tried to put a lot of detail like the hydrant, washout hose, fire irons and ladder but not too many people because I doubt if a sub shed like this would have more than 4 or 5 (ie for two locos) on shift ever.

Regards from Vancouver

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I may have solved the problem with shops not fitting in, that I was whining about in my last post.........

Make them Black and White!biggrin.gif

post-465-12592846756173_thumb.jpg

So the goods yard, goods shed and retaining walls are all done

post-465-12592846775548_thumb.jpg

This overall shot shows how I am dealing with the other corner of this side of the layout.....in the foreground the branch to the mine curvers around to cross the duck under, which I have to build. that completes the other short 10' section at this end of the layout.

Above that there is a gated private siding to a timber yard/mill that I am going to build on the unfinished bit next to the Cattle Siding.

The retaining wall will be extended to provide a viaduct for the two road main line that you can just see above the wall exiting from the storage yards.

Beyond that the pristine plywood is destined to be a colliery....sometime in 2011 I guess

post-465-12592847337008_thumb.jpg

This ground level shot shows the main branch and the colliery branch in the foreground. The cut out is to accommodate a road that will lead down to the duck under

post-465-12592846797386_thumb.jpg

This is scratch built from Wills Sheets and as I described in my previous thread I built it for my first layout and cheated by not finishing the side away from the loading bay.........ie the side that is now exposed......so all that side is relatively new plus the office that was added

post-465-12592846651403_thumb.jpg

This shows the high level main line a little better.....next job is to paint and ballast. The road bridge is my fudge to create an exit from the yard

post-465-12592846671185_thumb.jpg

I enjoy detailing and it probably delays progress when I fiddle around with little items rather than focus on pressing ahead with construction. The straw bale and midden were donated when my wife had a hair cut.

post-465-12592847319746_thumb.jpg

This shot of the yard shows clearly the divergence of the branch from the station into the main branch and the colliery branch.....the unfinished bit is for the signals for the junction

The kaydee magnets are rather obvious but that was one of the decisions one takes......in terms of cost, wiring, time and complexity. They are extremely effective....more on this later

The bilteezi back scene is, I think, temporary. It fits the space perfectly but I am not sure if the marked difference between it and the Metcalfe units is acceptable even for a coarse, broad brush modeller. I suspect I will eventually build 2 more metcalfe units and a scalescene Warehouse....I think I need some height there

post-465-1259284727762_thumb.jpg

This is the yard viewed from the station end....towards the goods shed

I have tried to make it look busy but not too busy......just enough to justify a daily pick up goods and maybe a couple of vans from the autotrain

post-465-12592846733796_thumb.jpg

Mikes Model Crane......one of my favourites

post-465-12592846817957_thumb.jpg

The pick up Goods is just backing in to the siding.......I use RR&Co and am just developing the yard shunting routines.....lots of work to make it mechanically perfect so the couplers just graze the magnet but not foul it.....I have had to fiddle around with the speed settings so that the loco a Collet 0-6-0 has enough power to push the waggons but not too much that they derail......right now they are running at a scale 5mph which is probably fairly prototypical............the plan, for those who are interested, is to uncouple the guards van, couple 2 empties, couple them to the guards van and then uncouple 2 full vans in each road.......all automatically so the stop markers in each block have to be very carefully positioned.......lots more on this but I will probably post it in the DCC section when it perfected (well near perfect)

post-465-12592846817957_thumb.jpg

This is the coal yard siding and I am beginning to feel more comfortable about its location although I am likely to get hammered by the experts for not having a catch point to protect the main branch line...........I wonder if GWR used scotch blocks?

post-465-12592846713406_thumb.jpg

I cant remember who's loading gauge it is but it works well on the wall. You can see how far I have had to bend the coupling on the Brake Van to operate....it should really be mounted lower.

post-465-12592846693818_thumb.jpg

So thats both ends of the branch completed.....I just have to do some repairs and detailing on the centre section plus a major cutting operation on a footbridge and the branch is done.............except for the signals which will have to be a separate post.......probably in the Sugnal Help section because I will need feed back for that project

Regards from Vancouver

post-465-12592846628872_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I really like your layout John, very nicely done. Where is the brake van from? It's nice to see something different from the ubiquitous AA19/20 type 20T brake.

Thanks 57xx I am glad you like it.....I was getting a little worried about the absence of feed back......wasnt sure if it was my writing style or that it currently is essentially just another iteration of the GWR BLT............hopefully I will get more comment when I start on the signalling and planning the terminus on the other long side

I think the Brake Van is a DS White Metal Kit. I got a friend in the UK to buy them (I have 2) about 10 years ago. I felt, rightly or wrongly, they were more appropriate on a branch of this nature

Kind Regards

• RMweb Gold

Now for a little light relief....I am starting to work on the station and this seemed a perfect example of coarse gauge modelling and Murphy's law x3

The sharp eyed will have spotted a gap in the retaining wall by the station

post-465-1259629616749_thumb.jpg

post-465-12596296189046_thumb.jpg

The plan being to build a pedestrian footbridge to provide access to the station from the street and hopefully provide a better visual connection between the foreground and backscene.

I have a couple of staircases from an old Knightwing kit that I used to on a previous layout to lead down from the station buildings to the platforms

post-465-12596296378347_thumb.jpg

This shot is horribly out of focus (the coal wagon is ok.....I just have to get a grip on depth of fieldangry.gif ) but shows the general idea and exposes problem #1..........its kind of tall

post-465-12596296210235_thumb.jpg

I rummaged around in the scrap box and found the other unused components and exposed problem #2

post-465-12596296362646_thumb.jpg

I knew I had to do a little painting and cutting down but forgot I had used one of the, at the time redundant, roof modules for some other project.............Wills sheets to the rescue

and finally a crystal clear shot recording yet again the downside of only painting the current viewing side!

post-465-125962961465_thumb.jpg

So lots of work to do and of course I have run out of Railmatch GWR Light and Dark Stone.........not an item you readily find in Canadian Model Shops

I will keep you posted

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello John, I've been following your thread for a while, I really enjoy the grand scale of things here. You ought to get a hefty discount on Metcalfe kits with that amazing row of terraced houses smile.gif .

I think the brakevan is indeed a D&S kit, of the AA16 diagram. As you say a nice change to the RTR ones that tend to dominate GWR layouts. But now sadly out of production with the demise of the D&S range. I really hope someone is picking up that range. I also share your like for the cranes from the Mikes models series (another discontinued item, I hope Holt Model Railways will reintroduce it).

Looking forward to more of this, I have never had a large layout such as this (other than wild plans that never materialized!) but can certainly see the attraction.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mikkel

Those comments are very kind of you Mikkel.............I am flattered to get them from somebody I consider to be a GWR expert............your website was a huge influence and resource when I was trying to build up some knowledge before starting to model............not a lot of information in Canada.

Thanks for confirming the identity of the brake van.......and is it appropriate to use on a branch pick up in 1947?

I hadnt realised DS Models had ceased trading......they had a number of kits on my wish list......currently on hold while I am in layout building mode.

I was lucky enough to get a lot of Mikes Models before they stopped trading......Street, Station and Yard Lamps.....a Coal Crane that I cant find room for yet.......... it would have looked out of place on the branch and a number of water cranes one of which I am just about to install as I detail the platform

Again many thanks for your comments I really appreciate feed back

Kind regards from a very sunny Vancouver

• RMweb Gold

Most definitely not an expert, John (but we are fortunate in having some real ones here on RMweb icon_thumbsup2.gif. Perhaps they can add to the info below.).

According to "GWR Goods Wagons" by Atkins, Beard and Tourret, the AA16 12ton diagram of 1919 consisted of older 10ton vans that were upgraded, as a result of shortages of light brakevans at that time. The date of introduction of the original vans is given variously as 1882 (main text) and 1886 (list at front of book). Apparently a few survived until 1951.

The construction notes from my version of the kit gives the date of original introduction as 1886, and say that the majority lasted until the mid-1930s, with a few lasting longer in departmental use (presumably the 1951 ones mentioned above). There is a photo of one working as a tool van in the Atkins et al book.

I'm sure there are other sources giving details of these brake vans. But based on this info, perhaps strictly speaking by 1947 the survivors would have consisted mainly of a few departmental vans rather than on branch pickups. But perhaps there was one or two still about in general traffic, and I don't think it's something anyone would worry too much about smile.gif .

A very impressive layout. I remember seeing some of your layout on the old forum, but have only just discovered your thread here. I do like the realistically long terraces -- if only I had the space -- and the scenes around the engine and goods shed are brought to life by all the clutter.

I think the brakevan is indeed a D&S kit, of the AA16 diagram. As you say a nice change to the RTR ones that tend to dominate GWR layouts. But now sadly out of production with the demise of the D&S range. I really hope someone is picking up that range. I also share your like for the cranes from the Mikes models series (another discontinued item, I hope Holt Model Railways will reintroduce it).

Indeed it does look like the old D&S kit. However, it has been available from ABS for some time now (I am fairly sure it is the same kit). ABS produce two versions, one in the original pre-diagram form with simple 4-shoe pushrod brakes, and one in the rebuilt AA16 form with clasp brakes and self-contained buffers. They were mentioned recently in another thread and, as I have one of each, I'll be adding them to my blog in the near future.

Nick

Edit: pictures of the two brake van variants have now been added to my blog.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks 57xx I am glad you like it.....I was getting a little worried about the absence of feed back......wasnt sure if it was my writing style or that it currently is essentially just another iteration of the GWR BLT........

I think it may be that people are still finding their way around the new forum and haven't discovered the "right" threads yet. There might also be a small element of people not wanting to create "chaff" that is so bemoaned.

Anyway, back on topic - Mikkel, you have traumatised me with the news the Mikes Models are no more. :( I also had that very yard crane on my first layout, also one of their water cranes and probably several other bits I can't even remember. I thought the range was excellent, it would indeed be good if Holt were to reintroduce it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Indeed it does look like the old D&S kit. However, it has been available from ABS for some time now (I am fairly sure it is the same kit). ABS produce two versions, one in the original pre-diagram form with simple 4-shoe pushrod brakes, and one in the rebuilt AA16 form with clasp brakes and self-contained buffers. They were mentioned recently in another thread and, as I have one of each, I'll be adding them to my blog in the near future.

Thanks for that Nick - happy to know that. I guess D&S sold off their whitemetal kits?

John, I wonder if the lamp in this photo is also from Mikes Models? There were several different types available, and I am trying to figure out which ones exactly. Many thanks!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Anyway, back on topic - Mikkel, you have traumatised me with the news the Mikes Models are no more. sad.gif I also had that very yard crane on my first layout, also one of their water cranes and probably several other bits I can't even remember. I thought the range was excellent, it would indeed be good if Holt were to reintroduce it.

Well they told me some years ago that they had bought the range but couldn't find someone who could do the actual work to produce them. Then suddenly not too long ago a few selected kits started being available on their website again, see:

http://www.holtmodel...hp?search=mikes

- but it would be good to know what their plans are for the rest of the range.

John I hope we're not hijacking your thread here! smile.gif

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Guys

Never seen such activity before

I'm sure there are other sources giving details of these brake vans. But based on this info, perhaps strictly speaking by 1947 the survivors would have consisted mainly of a few departmental vans rather than on branch pickups. But perhaps there was one or two still about in general traffic, and I don't think it's something anyone would worry too much about smile.gif .

I kind of thought that might be the case......I had better do some more weathering

A very impressive layout. I remember seeing some of your layout on the old forum, but have only just discovered your thread here. I do like the realistically long terraces -- if only I had the space -- and the scenes around the engine and goods shed are brought to life by all the clutter.

Thanks Nick modelling alone, as I do, I really appreciate feed back, not neccesarily just praise (although thats nice) but any comment pointing out flaws......it aint ever going to be perfect but plausible I do aim for

I think it may be that people are still finding their way around the new forum and haven't discovered the "right" threads yet. There might also be a small element of people not wanting to create "chaff" that is so bemoaned.

Anyway, back on topic - Mikkel, you have traumatised me with the news the Mikes Models are no more. sad.gif I also had that very yard crane on my first layout, also one of their water cranes and probably several other bits I can't even remember. I thought the range was excellent, it would indeed be good if Holt were to reintroduce it.

Well there is "chaff" and good humoured dialogue and this little lot is exactly what I was hoping for.

Thanks for that Nick - happy to know that. I guess D&S sold off their whitemetal kits?

John, I wonder if the lamp in this photo is also from Mikes Models? There were several different types available, and I am trying to figure out which ones exactly. Many thanks!

All the lamps are Mikes......The yard lamps, the street lamps on the terrace and the shops and I am just fixing som station lamps on the branch. I was lucky enough to buy a job lot from a dealer here in Vancouver!

John I hope we're not hijacking your thread here! smile.gif

Absolultely not! Keep them coming

Regards

• RMweb Gold

I've really enjoyed reading this thread and love the overall feel the layout has smile.gif Can't wait to see how the automatic pick up goods works!

Thanks Bedders.......I worried that my prose style might be too stilted.....but its too late to change nowsmile.gif

I have a routine where the B Set and a Prairie comes into the Branch and runs around the train and out again.....all automatic....it involves a series of 5 short (ie 2 blocks per schedule) schedules.........works 95% of the time The pickup goods is rather more complex even when I fudge by always dropping and picking 2 units only (to keep the length constant) I am up to 4 schedules just to pick up and drop off the coal empties..........but it is getting there. I thought I might write in more detail about it (a) when its at the 90% level and (B) when I start track laying on the 10' section at the end of the room......essential but not exactly riveting

Regards from Vancouver where it is again crisp and sunny

• RMweb Gold

All the lamps are Mikes......The yard lamps, the street lamps on the terrace and the shops and I am just fixing som station lamps on the branch. I was lucky enough to buy a job lot from a dealer here in Vancouver!

Thanks for that. That does sound like good luck, you could have made a killing on ebay with those - but much better of course to put them to good use instead smile.gif. Ok so I'll add those lamps to the list (I have an old Mikes Models catalogue but it seems that some of their GWR lamp types are not in it).

Only just rediscovered this layout as well, have enjoyed following the progress so far as we are in a similiar situation - return to modelling, whole room to play with, thing a bit course scale for the moment!

The building and backscenes look very good indeed. I will be following the progres with much interest as I have decided to rebuild the current layout (due to house move) and construct my own (additional) GWR branch c1947-53 so I can run my panniers/2251s and other assorted stock.

• RMweb Gold

Only just rediscovered this layout as well, have enjoyed following the progress so far as we are in a similiar situation - return to modelling, whole room to play with, thing a bit course scale for the moment!

The building and backscenes look very good indeed. I will be following the progres with much interest as I have decided to rebuild the current layout (due to house move) and construct my own (additional) GWR branch c1947-53 so I can run my panniers/2251s and other assorted stock.

Thanks for the comments......glad you are enjoying it..........I am making good progress now with it being winter here and doing the fun stuff like detailing......it will be less interesting when I start track laying againsad.gif

I sympathise with you moving house......thats what happened to me 2 1/2 years ago this is actually Granby III.........Granby I was really coarse gauge and doesnt count but Granby II was around for 10 years and I learned a lot from it and most of the bulidings and accessories that I use came from it......one of these days I will post a photo of a derelict 8 road Engine Shed and turntable which is the only trackwork I salvaged from Granby II and which I am still hoping to incorporate into the layout

Good luck with your new layout and let us know how you get on.....its good to talk to another GWR fan

Kind Regards

These shops are not quite in character.....as I wrote in my last thread....too prosperous...too smug....too southern (spoke an ex-scouser) not gritty enough for a welsh mining town.........but needs must...they were a relic from a previous layout and at least fill the gap.

Hi John

One of the issues with the Metcalfe shops (and others) is that the lettering used for the names is too modern - they scream "sixties/seventies" to me! It's a common issue with layouts. It took me ages searching for a font I could use to name a factory chimney in 30's/40's style. I have some terraced houses and a goods shed (in "O" gauge) to build.

The layout looks interesting!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Guys

Good lord. That is fantabulous, to say the least. You started when?

We moved into this house in May 2007 and I started the baseboards in the Fall.....so about 2 years but as I wrote earleir I had dismantled a layout from the previous house that had taken 10 years to build so I could use a lot of the stuff from there.....although as I have frequently observed I usually had to paint the new viewing sidesad.gif This was my first foray into DCC so a lot of time inittially was spent trying to get the hang of that.

Hi John

One of the issues with the Metcalfe shops (and others) is that the lettering used for the names is too modern - they scream "sixties/seventies" to me! It's a common issue with layouts. It took me ages searching for a font I could use to name a factory chimney in 30's/40's style. I have some terraced houses and a goods shed (in "O" gauge) to build.

The layout looks interesting!

You know you are absolutely correct ........I had never thought of it quite like that before.......the Town Centre architecture (apart from its unsuitability for a small Mining Town) is fine from a period point of view........ it is the signage of even the acceptable businesses that gives the game away.

I am pretty careful to exclude TV shops and I used "Turf Accountant" rather than Betting Shop etc but its not really enough.........I guess they have got to go eventuallyangry.gif

Perhaps you could let me have the name of the Font you found.....I am about to construct some chimneys!

Kind Regards