GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

• RMweb Gold

So here is a short update continueing my progress detailing the branch from the left hand corner towards the station

This is the inner corner before the road bridge. In the background is the engine shed road, coal stage and ash pit complete with inadequate amounts of same! In the foreground the branch divides..... the far track climbs 1:40 to the main line and in the foreground the other track will have a tight curve for the sub branch autotrain and brewery siding

The problem of filling really small corners on country layouts is fairly simple.....couple of hedges and a cow.....I find it a bit more difficult on this industrial layout..........I had some reservations about including this......another kit....... another cliche then I re-opened Stephen Williams GWR book and there was a photograph of the self same scene.......I feel much better nowbiggrin.gif

post-465-12599740267545_thumb.jpg

Moving to the right the other side of the bridge is the signal box.........this is one of my very early efforts and I think I followed Ratios painting advice a little too closely with the chocolate brown

post-465-12599740292739_thumb.jpg

But I guess I can solve that with a black and white version.........I hadnt realised that in Photoshop you can have different black and white categories......this is ithe industrial setting

post-465-1259974031532_thumb.jpg

So we are getting into the station approach now with these shots of a Mikes Model Water Crane

Another of my "warts and all" shots..............The tail lamp on the BSet is in the wrong place and has to be moved (its also the wrong colour case I think) and the white you can see under the coach is a plasticard shim for the Kaydee......its been painted out now............the B Set has actually just completed my magical computor driven automatic run round

You can just see the manual point lever for the engine shed road coal siding behind the crane

post-465-1259974022191_thumb.jpg

This is as near as you get to a throat.......with the relief X over, the point to the engine shed road and the Bay in the foreground. I read, I think in Bob Essery's book that the Board of Trade would not permit steps at the end of platforms and insisted on ramps......so I guess I will have to dream up some legend here.

post-465-12599740339314_thumb.jpg

It was fall here when I took this shot so that accounts for the green flock on the platformangry.gif

Now we have beautiful crisp sunny weather..........Regards from Vancouver

Edited by john dew

Thanks Guys

Perhaps you could let me have the name of the Font you found.....I am about to construct some chimneys!

Kind Regards

Hi John

The nearest I could find at the time was one of the Marlborough truetype fonts, squashed up a bit in Page Plus. I wasn't totally pleased with it, so I'm still looking (I don't want to have to pay for a font just for one chimney if I don't have to!) - I built the chimney (for a club layout) but we haven't lettered it yet

regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Apart from Signalling the station is now completerolleyes.gif

I have quite a few photos so I will try and cover it in two posts

Looking from the west or brewery (to be built) end towards the goods yard and colliery end

post-465-12611126005909_thumb.jpg

In addition to using the bay for the Siphon the autotrain from the secondary Branch will come in here so passengers can connect with the B Set service to the terminus

The origins of the station building are pretty obvious.....a Ratio kit that I have had for many years......some way from its Southern roots on this layout based in North Wales......there has been a bit of cutting and joining and a reasonable amount of weathering so hopefully it doesnt look too out of place although I would prefer to have it overlooked by a terrace of stone houses rather than bricksad.gif

post-465-12611126676067_thumb.jpg

post-465-12611126281104_thumb.jpg

Dont be confused by the name...............Granby is the name of the layout and the, as yet, unbuilt terminus. Cynwyd is the name of the small mining town. I am sure there are plenty of Granby's (I meant to Google it) but none that I am aware of in North Wales. Cynwyd on the other hand is a real place about 3 miles from Corwen and was a station on the GWR line from Corwen to Barmouth. When I knew it, many many years ago, it was a very small village and when I googled it the other day it didnt look as though it had changed much.

The station nameboard is an example of my home made dark stone and now I point it out you the difference between it and the base of the lamp posts is immediately apparent. The interesting thing is that this colour seems to be closer to photos I have of Didcot.......a little too pink perhaps but still closer than my efforts with commercial products. Whatever....... the original was made by mixing iron oxide into a white lead base so there would be all manner of variations......anyway thats my story. For those who are interested its a mix of Burnt Sienna, a lot of White and a touch of Dark Brown

post-465-1261112646089_thumb.jpg

This is another shot of the bay.......you can see that at this end there is very little clutter and only three passengers......I think there are only 5 in the entire station.......the station will have a BSet from Granby about once an hour and the Auto train the same...... so apart from morning and evening I dont think one would expect to see too much activity.

The Siphon is a Ratio 4 Wheeler with Shire Scenes sides......I am moderately proud of it and so havent yet plucked up courage to weather it which makes its pristine state more than a little unrealistic in 1947

The plan is to have the Siphon come into the Branch on the back of a morning BSet and get shunted in there by the Engine when it is doing its run around and then reverse the procedure with an evening or afternoon departure............all automatic I hope.........I will keep you posted

post-465-12611126050559_thumb.jpg

This shot is looking back towards the Siphon and you can see I have justified its existence by inventing some Milk Traffic. Unlike some of my "inventions" I am quite satisfied with the credibilty of this. The Vale of Clwyd is or was very fertile and had a number of dairy farms despite their proximity to the mines in the Denbigh area

I also wanted to have the Milk Churns create an image of something ie a Loading Dock, beyond the precipice

post-465-12611126478891_thumb.jpg

Just beyond the churns you can see some concrete walls which is the original gents from the Ratio Kit. I have a couple of rather splendid Victorian Conveniences from Mikes Models and I was thinking of using one there but my wife over ruled me...."too overpowering" and you know what?.....she was rightunsure.gif

post-465-12611126031512_thumb.jpg

Here is the first shot of the footbridge in situ

post-465-12611125985673_thumb.jpg

I will post again in a few days and show the shots from the other end of the station

Regards from Vancouver

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, thanks for sharing these photos. I like the way you have composed the different elements of this station, some interesting viewblocks and the three different levels (yard, station and terraces) makes it seem like a lof of layout in what must be a raltively narrow space.

Can't wait to see the automated shunting in the bay!

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, thanks for sharing these photos. I like the way you have composed the different elements of this station, some interesting viewblocks and the three different levels (yard, station and terraces) makes it seem like a lof of layout in what must be a raltively narrow space.

Can't wait to see the automated shunting in the bay!

Thanks for the kind words Mikkelsmile.gif The track is only 9 1/2" wide and of course the terrace roadway is morel like a one way lane. It was originally intended as a very basic shunting plank so I could experiment with DCC and computor control. Both the scenic and operating potential have turned out to be much greater than I envisaged.....I almost wish I had 2 less roads in the storage yard

I guess I am going to have to learn how to video to show the shunting.......I have almost finished the pick up goods routine...............17 different moves now I have to link them togetherrolleyes.gif

Kind Regards

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hope everyone had a great Christmas........this post continues with the station viewed from the other side

The Ratio antecedents are pretty obvious from this shot

post-465-12625684395568_thumb.jpg

post-465-12625684335902_thumb.jpg

In both of the above shots you can see that the footbridge is now complete......painted on all sides, shortened and half a new roof!

post-465-12625683592569_thumb.jpg

post-465-12625683548759_thumb.jpg

I wouldnt describe it as a particularly good representation of the prototype......there should either be more lattice work or the panels should be steel plate rather than wood and it certainly isnt the epitome of fine scale modeling......but then I only aspire to coarse gaugebiggrin.gif Overall it serves its purpose in providing a link with the backscene and a break between station and yard. Above all it provides a number of little niches for all the clutter that the GWR in particular seemed to accumulate

post-465-12625695486917_thumb.jpg

There is some detailing still to be done.....I am going to store passengers bicycles under the bridge.

This model like most of the period didnt come with smoke baffles. They are very obvious in any contemporary photos so I scratch built them from plasticard

and the little strips that come with Wills Vari Girders

post-465-12625684358981_thumb.jpg

You may be wondering what is the justification for this structure

post-465-12625683833355_thumb.jpg

All is revealed:sad.gif

post-465-12625707947537_thumb.jpg

The Peco switch that I use for switching polarity failed and it was quite impossible to replace in situ under the baseboard (certainly not by someone as decrepit as me)..........this was the third such failure and led me towards tortoises (via microswitches)

The legend (fiction) is that it houses the Branch Scammel

post-465-12625707927714_thumb.jpg

I have kept quiet about this screw up for a while as you can tell from the absence of walls and terraces. The Scammel is a Langley (I think) Kit and is ok in the background but is not good enough to be in the foreground, so I think I have to come up with some sort of cameo for this area of the station otherwise it may look a little too deserted

post-465-1262568357316_thumb.jpg

The solution I am working on kills two/three birds with one stonerolleyes.gif As you have gathered I try and insert little scenes that are time specific to try and clearly establish this is 1947 (The unkind would tell me to get rid of the GWR Shirtbuttonsangry.gif )

One of the most obvious deficiencies is the absence of any military presence......in 1947 anyone between the ages of 18 and 25 had to do 2 years National Service. The army alone was over 10 times the size it is now and almost invariably travelled by train........so I am painting a little scene with a truck and 8 soldiers who have either just arrived or are just departing. So I fill the gap, establish the date and by suggesting a camp nearby justify a more frequent passenger service.................I wish all life's problems were as easy to solvesmile.gif

So I may post some photos of that shortly but my main task is to get the signalling organised so I am going to post a draft plan and hopefully the likes of Beast 6606 and Stationmaster will set me on the right road............I am not sure where to post it...........either here or Beasts Blunderings I think

Happy New Year from Vancouver where it has briefly stopped raining

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good to see an update on Granby John. It's looking good and if you hadn't told us about the point motor shed - err, sorry the Scammel garage - I'd never have found it the least bit odd.

I really like the footbridge and the clutter beneath it. Thanks also for teaching me a new word - smoke baffles - I never knew that was their name. I assume you are happy with the Tortoises? I'd like to go that way too.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see an update on Granby John. It's looking good and if you hadn't told us about the point motor shed - err, sorry the Scammel garage - I'd never have found it the least bit odd.

I really like the footbridge and the clutter beneath it. Thanks also for teaching me a new word - smoke baffles - I never knew that was their name. I assume you are happy with the Tortoises? I'd like to go that way too.

Thanks again Mikkel for the encouragement.........well it was always supposed to be a warts and all thread.....so I could not tell a lie about the shedsmile.gif

You have me worried (baffled perhaps) about the smoke baffles........I have a feeling I created the term to describe them and then saw the same description in another thread and felt re assured......maybe I have just added to the GWR Lexicon!

I have only installed two tortoises and as under baseboard retro fits (replacing peco switches again......no room for another shed) they were quite tricky to get right in fact I am still struggling with one. However I have 6 waiting to install when I start building the branch storage lines next month and I think, starting from scratch, it will be much easier. I reaaly like the slow movement and the reliability and ease of wiring plus 2 switches.

Kind Regards

Hi All

Love this layout and the photos that have been taken in black & White and also the same photo taken in colour to, makes a difference in B&W... kind of modern day mixed with the olden days when cameras had negatives...!

Lovely layout... Keep the photos coming... there great...!

Regards

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Hi All

Love this layout and the photos that have been taken in black & White and also the same photo taken in colour to, makes a difference in B&W... kind of modern day mixed with the olden days when cameras had negatives...!

Lovely layout... Keep the photos coming... there great...!

Regards

Jamie

Thanks Jamie.....I appreciate the comments.......I kind of like the black and whites.... I should (will) post more of them.....I keep meaning to work out how to do sepiaunsure.gif

Regards

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

One of my New Years Resolutions was to resurrect my layout thread

I last posted in 2009 and it kind of got lost during one of RMWebs many re iterations. I login most every day but as you can see from my post count I am not a very active contribuitor..........time to put something back in

Not too sure if I have got the hang of attachments so this is a short post

Some quick pics of Granby's development

December 2008 Benchwork

post-465-0-82417800-1358050427.jpg

December 2009 Branch completed (see above)

post-465-0-02542300-1358052495.jpg

January 2010 Site of Canal

post-465-0-42828100-1358050558.jpg

January 2011 Canal and Viaduct

post-465-0-42060400-1358050512.jpg

post-465-0-57762600-1358052262.jpg

January 2012 Granby Junction Overall Roof

post-465-0-20456400-1358051863.jpg

January 2013 Goods yard complete.....

post-465-0-43586800-1358052923.jpg

last major project ...Granby Shed

post-465-0-68190600-1358053414.jpg

• Like 11

Glad to see your post,  I have been busy as well on both RM web and Your Model Railway forums.  Usually while watching TV waiting for paint to dry.  Here in Ontaro we have been getting your kind of weather wet and mild, so today I spent most of the time outside.  Very rare to have temps of 15 degree C.  Keep the photos coming I enjoy your layout and your work.

Welcome back John,

Enjoy watching the progress on YMRF.  Like the details and size, especially the canal-warehouse scene.  How did you do the water?My layout is 20'x8', which I think I should have gone a bit wider and now probably will some time down the track.  Though I model apple green region mostly and have some BR green era stock for a change.

We have had 30-40 degrees celius here in south eastern australia and plent of fires.

Keep up the good work

Mark 

Very nice layout love the atmosphere of the goods yard and the viaduct ecellent modelling k eep up the good work can't wait for more up dates

Edited by bri.s

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

I have followed your work on Granby elsewhere as you know but I've not seen photos of the early work before. I've seen your descriptions of the building of the various major areas on the layout, Goods warehouse, station roof etc but it's good to see an overall shot of the room as things developed in the early years to get an appreciation of the scale.

Much appreciated that you've resurrected the thread.

• RMweb Gold

Great to see Granby alive on here again, John!

The goods yard and new shed look very interesting indeed. Not often we see that sort of thing on GWR layouts. Any chance of some more photos?

Hi John 

Great to see this on here and I shall become a follower of this now that I know of it. I love all the detail and busy look of the yard as there is always something to look at, the new additions are looking good too and it will be interesting to follow the development of these.

I like to see how other large GW layouts progress.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Well I guess I am a bit stunned by that response.........on the smaller fora RMweb has a, perhaps undeserved, reputation for burying layout topics. One of the catalysts for my latest venture was the realisation that Coachman, who makes the most delightful posts about Greenfield, often gets no more than a couple of replies........so I wasnt expecting this.

Thank you all...old friends and new ....for the kind remarks

Not sure where to go from here.......I like writing about projects during the actual process......I enjoy and indeed need the advice and criticsm that arises from the posts...........on the other hand I would like to share with you some of the projects that I have already completed.

For the time being I will switch between past and present......just hope its not too confusing

The canal feature was designed to bridge the gap between the two 18' long sides of the layout

post-465-0-95964400-1358143632.jpg

It was originally going to be a lift off but as the track work and scenery became more complex it quickly settled into a fixed duck under......given hindsight I am not sure if this was the best choice.....I am used to it it but it does become a barrier to visitors.....other than the dog

The canal was formed from two layers of 3/4" ply representing an upstream lock (Langley Models)......a basin serving a warehouse.....and a downstream lock

post-465-0-39987200-1358143578.jpg

post-465-0-20370600-1358144091.jpg

There are four bridges crossing the canal......the branch line to Corwen........ behind that a heavy girder bridge serving Bersham Colliery.....then the viaduct for the Main line from Shrewsbury and finally a lower two track bridge going ......where? (a bridge too far perhaps)

post-465-0-74131400-1358143600.jpg

I used Magic Water to fill the canal......it does exactly what it says on the label.....heres a before

post-465-0-33172800-1358145372.jpg

and after

post-465-0-03254100-1358145359.jpg

I knew little or nothing about canals when I started this project.....fortunately the late Richard (Wheeltapper) took me under his wing and provided all manner of photos and advice......he was an amazing guy. I asked him if I could call the project after him so here are a few completed shots of Richards Wharf

post-465-0-98074900-1358143891.jpg

post-465-0-35633600-1358148452.jpg

post-465-0-70352700-1358143961.jpg

post-465-0-25340100-1358143984_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-01512000-1358143783.jpg

post-465-0-44671300-1358148489.jpg

post-465-0-59446600-1358147989.jpg

post-465-0-18553600-1358143920.jpg

post-465-0-36547400-1358143849_thumb.jpg

I am afraid that I am still struggling with attachments......the attached thumbnails were supposed to be nuked.....its too late now so I will live with it

post-465-0-97683800-1358143806.jpg

post-465-0-56795100-1358144116.jpg

post-465-0-86631400-1358147953_thumb.jpg

Edited by john dew
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant John, just brilliant. Granby is such an inspiration for me, nothing overstated, everything has purpose. I didn't realise that it was on RMWeb, I will keep following it on here now!

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tony......I have only just resurrected the thread here.....so you will be familiar with a lot of it.......I am just posting some quick cameos to get up to date before continuing with current work on Granby shed

Granby is on two levels with an oval on each level........with the upper scenic level I had the same problem that faces most modellers with an oval roundy roundy encased in a rectangle..........what to do with the corners.

This post deals with the top left corner......at the opposite end from the canal/viaduct shown in the last post

post-465-0-24479500-1358308779.jpg

The site of Granby Goods Yard...........the four track main line curves round to Chester and Birkenhead (ignore the random ICI marshalling yard in the foreground

The intent was to represent a typical Victorian Warehouse Yard that had been shoehorned into a relatively small site close to the terminus station........this would have been subsequently supplemented by a more spacious marshalling yard outside of town (and off scene in the case of Granby)

post-465-0-11724200-1358304919.jpg

The warehouses, are arranged in an L, and made from the Scalescene Kit........very robust and solid and relatively easy to customise.

post-465-0-94358900-1358309340_thumb.jpg

This gives a better idea of the mainline and its junction with the single track Vale of Clwyd line approached via Cynwyd Bank

post-465-0-96589200-1358304827.jpg

If you recall the first shot there isnt a lot of space and I kind of miscalculated when I laid the Down relief.......the back scene has to be ultra ultra thin!

The left hand side of the L is a Fruit Depot and Bonded Warehouse.......this isnt a diorama its a fully operational component of the layout.....with RR&Co I automatically shunt the daily Fruit from the West Country and assemble the local pick up goods

post-465-0-31847600-1358304423.jpg

Here is some of the detailing added to the basic model

Canopy......I try and avoid mixing media ie card and plastic but this seems to have worked

post-465-0-73459800-1358304483.jpg

Sack Hoist

post-465-0-69038100-1358304542_thumb.jpg

In joke......the apples are from John Flann's Orchard at Hintock I if you like GWR and havent seen his thread here you are missing something)

post-465-0-83683600-1358304603.jpg

post-465-0-80049200-1358304778.jpg

Finally a distant view from Granby Junction

post-465-0-15978800-1358309118.jpg

I had hoped to complete the warehouse in one post but despite ruthless editing I have over run my self appointed time and space limits so I will cover the yard and other side of the L tomorrow

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Here is the balance of the Warehouse and Yard Shots

When I was planning rhe yard I spent a lot of time browsing through Bob Essery's books.........which are packed with really evocative photos.......maybe a few years before 1948 but still, I believe, illustrating the way the yards operated

Iain Rice has a great book on Industrial layouts....again with many useful photos..............Iain argues forcefully for signature elements.....those key features which, if accurately modelled, immediately identify to the viewer the time period and location of the model.

Reading these books convinced me the yard had to be clad with granite sets....wagon turntables and capstans......warehouses towering above; and busy... busy

Here are the (cosmetic) turntables connecting 3 of the sidings and allowing access to the bonded warehouse

post-465-0-56751200-1358387909.jpg

A lot of the stock movement was carried out by a system of bollards (similar to fair leads on a sail boat; and either steam or electric powered capstans. Another perhaps more common alternative would have been horse power. I toyed with the idea of stables but ran out of space.......but I will try and squeeze them in some place else. It seems to me that many layouts based in the forties dont recognise the extent to which horses were involved with Railway operation

post-465-0-08467400-1358388293.jpg

If all else failed it was man power with a wheel pinch (Airfix figures are very adaptable!)

post-465-0-05673500-1358388357.jpg

The yard was clearly (I hope) built in the Victorian era but by the 20s and 30s there had to be recognition of the trend towards container traffic so a gantry was squeezed in......I hoped to convey the idea it was ,indeed, an afterthought

post-465-0-17130300-1358387947.jpg

Now here is an easily recognisable signature element

Pannier and Shunters Truck

post-465-0-08535100-1358388057.jpg

This is a Cambrian Kit.......the first Kit I ever built some 18 years ago.......sadly it didnt pass the tests of time and RR&Co. So in June it was scrapped and I bought and assembled a new Cambrian Kit.......In December Hornby announced an RTR Shunters truck!

post-465-0-80596400-1358388153.jpg

I love the approach to Health and Safety.

Finally Signalling.......I am afraid I dont have working signals (although I am sorely tempted by the Dapol Release), but I do spend a lot of time trying to ensure the layout looks correctly signalled.

Stationmaster and Beast 6606 have been extremely helpful in their general posts and from time to time patiently answering my queries

Disclaimer.......they bear no responsibility for the errors that will undoubtedly be revealed as I continue with this thread..

Entry and exit to and from the yard are controlled by signals..........thereafter by hand signals

This shows the loading gauge and to the right the advanced starter and distant (for the Cynwyd Bank Box) for the Down Relief  and Main together with a Stop Sign and Flagman

post-465-0-41793400-1358388011.jpg

post-465-0-32928800-1358388110_thumb.jpg

Next post will be a bit more current.......start of the shed

Edited by john dew
  • Like 7