GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

• RMweb Gold

But the Pannier became angry and said: "Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me a cushion so I could celebrate with my friends. "

On 17/01/2013 at 03:06, john dew said:

Pannier and Shunters Truck

post-465-0-08535100-1358388057.jpg

Merry christmas John! :)

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning John,

Sending sunny Christmas greetings from Spain to Vancouver. Have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Hope the new laptop is straight forward to transfer the data into.

Regards, Neal.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Happy Christmas John.  Thank you for all of the inspiration.

Hope the laptop sort out goes OK.

Regards from the Far East (of the GW Empire of course)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/12/2019 at 17:43, john dew said:

Unlike the Cromwells which came with the Bachmann Warflats, I had to buy a suitable load for Hattons Warwell. I finally settled for a Comet kit from Millicast. The kit wasnt super easy to assemble but the resultant model has much better detail than the Cromwell. It is also more appropriate for my era.Comets first saw service just after D Day and were in action during the Korean War eight years later.     

2.1_Comet.jpg.691bd75ddd62cc716a7a7a1cf2d6487b.jpg

I used the same securing system described in the previous post except the chains were attached to pieces of rod inserted in the buffer beam rather than the side

616332373_3CometfromFront.jpg.76c52360e36bbc6fa9af965e19249e2b.jpg

The shot above shows the front of the tank with the turret reversed for transport and only the casing remaining on the Machine gun. .

616332373_3CometfromFront.jpg.76c52360e36bbc6fa9af965e19249e2b.jpg

Hi John. I've just revisited these photos of your warwell as you know I'm ready to put chains on mine. I wasn't planning on putting them on the ends but to use the pockets moulded by Hatton's on the deck. As mine will be running without a load I wonder if this would this be OK, what do you think.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin

I would think so. I opted for the buffer beams partly because I was worried the fixing point would look clunky with the chain under tension. With the chain not in use that issue will not arise, in fact the chain will conceal the attachment. I think it will actually look better like that.

Hopefully Tinker will confirm this!

Best wishes

John

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, john dew said:

in fact the chain will conceal the attachment. I think it will actually look better like that.

Hopefully Tinker will confirm this!

14 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

Fully agree John.  

Thanks chaps, happy days.:imsohappy:

• RMweb Premium

I am excellent on the theory and execution in 12":1' scale  , but the execution in OO will certainly be a challenge, and certainly won't reach the lofty quality set by John.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

The post office looks great. Looking forward to seeing the hotel.

Thanks Neal glad you like it.

The Hotel is going to a bit of a challenge. Not sure how familiar you are with the kit. Its another low relief model and is perfect for that role.......very tall and imposing with lots of classic John Wiffen detail. It will, I am afraid, be rather difficult to  expand it to full relief without one seeing the join....to paraphrase Eric Morecambe.

Lots of patience and lots of blades required!

In other news I see Hattons expect the Dapol Express Parcels Rail Car tomorrow!

Best wishes

John

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, john dew said:

My stock is slowly getting very outdated! 

Bring out a new Manor and Saint.............

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Are you getting one then John ?:P

One will be heading west shortly.

I guess it falls in the could have category! Certainly not must have like a mogul ( or two? ). I have no evidence they ever ran on an Express Parcel Service between Birkenhead and Birmingham....but its not entirely unfeasible.

I vacillated between it and the passenger car but I already have a vintage Lima version....tarted up with new wheels, pick ups and a very expensive Lenz chip and stay alive.

I will post some shots when it arrives.....but that will be a few weeks away

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, john dew said:

Thanks Neal glad you like it.

The Hotel is going to a bit of a challenge. Not sure how familiar you are with the kit. Its another low relief model and is perfect for that role.......very tall and imposing with lots of classic John Wiffen detail. It will, I am afraid, be rather difficult to  expand it to full relief without one seeing the join....to paraphrase Eric Morecambe.

Lots of patience and lots of blades required!

Best wishes

John

Morning John, Ive not done the Hotel kit, or any of those larger low relief ones. I’m sure whatever you do with it will be great and very effective.

My little High st representation at Henley is a lot smaller by comparison to your buildings area. All of mine sits nicely as low relief! Although at the moment the High St is dismantled while the garage is being reconfigured. 

The Dapol Railcars are interesting, I feel I should support Dapol and thank them with a purchase....... but I have so many Railcars already! Although the models are very nice.

Have a good evening - the sun is just rising over the Med here!

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/01/2020 at 17:19, john dew said:

I realised as I was typing this that I had no idea which side was the Brake column and which controlled the Water scoop. Someone must know the answer? 

Hi John,

A (belated) Happy New Year to you and your readers.

First I wanted to say 'Thank You' for you recent articles about fitting 'Stay-Alive' capacitors to improve running of locos. This is something I'd love to do but question my competence to solder onto tiny circuit board pads without destroying said circuit board!

In answer to your question, the brake column is on the fireman's side of the tender, the water scoop column is behind the driver. Why?  Well the standard procedure when starting a loco from rest is that the fireman unwinds the handbrake simultaneously with the Driver releasing the vacuum brake handle. I suppose it's a bit like a 'hill start' on a car where your right foot presses the accelerator at the same time as you hand releases the handbrake......only two people are required on a steam loco! One problem with using a cranked handle to apply/release a brake is that if you forget whether the brake is on it's hard to tell just by looking!!! One the preserved locos I worked on, a small length of chain attached at one end to the tender bulkhead was wrapped by the fireman over the handle when the brake was 'ON', and then removed from the handle as the handbrake was released. This is a really helpful visual reminder used on preserved railways, I'm not sure if it was also used by GWR/BR(W).

For the record the water scoop column is a dummy on most preserved locos for obvious reasons.

Best Regards,

Andy.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 7007GreatWestern said:

Hi John,

A (belated) Happy New Year to you and your readers.

First I wanted to say 'Thank You' for you recent articles about fitting 'Stay-Alive' capacitors to improve running of locos. This is something I'd love to do but question my competence to solder onto tiny circuit board pads without destroying said circuit board!

Best Regards,

Andy.

Hi Andy

Good to hear from you. Hope you are well.

Thanks for answering my question so fully about the brake /water scoop columns. It now makes perfect sense.

Regarding stay alives. You only need to solder one wire to the ground pad on the chip ( the existing blue wire provides the +ve) but I found the expensive way that even with quite a large pad on a Zimo that it was too much for me.

Fortunately Youchoos ( super helpful.....no connection) from whom I buy both the Zimo decoders and stay alive components charge only a nominal fee for soldering the additional wire to the ground solder pad.

Soldering the two wires to the lifelink and supercap is straightforward. I have done 5 now without a hitch.

The difference is amazing....poor runners like the 14xx and the Dean can now perform complex operations eg loco exchanges/shunting. Reliable runners like the panniers now require zero supervision.

The only downside is I am building up a surplus of replaced Lenz decoders!

Best Wishes

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Winter wonderland for the last few days!

Brand.jpg.fb49963be3e7a7c9ddd717464a57b7d6.jpg

Princess.jpg.b35723ef571b825319298a000694c1b3.jpg

river.jpg.dd2e95e4bc4e6a7cedbf21bfeff7b74c.jpg

Cleared  the drive yesterday and again just now

Not sure I am winning......the snow shovel snapped and its still snowing.

Back to Granby shortly

I guess I dont need to sign this off with a local weather report!

Cheers

John

Edited by john dew
25/8/22 Photos
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4