GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, john dew said:

England also lacked imagination but I guess thats not really new......Scotland on the other hand had a well thought out game plan that was well executed.......although I recognise with all that possession they should have put more points on the board.It will be interesting to see how they perform against Wales at the weekend

Because of the time difference and having to record and watch later, I usually only choose one game per week. I think I'll go for Scotland/Wales over England/Italy...

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

No I have not gone into hibernation although the last couple of weeks weather made me think about it.

The hotel is so close to being finished I kept putting off posting until I could write finis.Then I got into a catch 22 situation where I realised that I couldnt attach a number of small but vital sub assemblies until I had completely finished the base.........and I couldnt finish the base until I had cantilevered the support framework.

I think I have resolved the framework issues and having dusted down the chop saw, I have just been cutting up lengths of 2"x1" in a freezing cold garage. 

Meantime here is the progress on the actual building

The Palm Court is now finished

25616841_1PalmCourt.jpg.5f114f03f693355da2e838364826ed98.jpg

I forgot we had some plexi-glass off cuts. Thank you for the pointer John (St Edonoc).  Its Rigid enough to create a more realistic shape than the curved structure I had originally envisaged.

Fortunately this can only be viewed from 3'. Bridging three kits and two scratch built extensions revealed a number of 1/16" errors which combined to produce a few less than square corners.

You may remember I was not looking forward to soldering a fire escape from this etching

73214107_1.5Fret.jpg.ceb7bd864b433e1b0281010c3901a858.jpg

All done except for the painting

2008531514_2prepaint.jpg.5227597748d592c33cf8d2269c99e69c.jpg

Thankfully another 3' viewing item. There are more "less than square" corners and quite a few wavy steps.

As I suspected, it is too wide to be attached to a Wing end wall. Instead I built this four storey annexe

230907598_3EscapeAnnexe.jpg.b67e731fe4a6299098c87b0def3c1267.jpg

The doors will match up to the landings on the fire escape. There is an exit from the 5th floor on the flat roof of the annexe and a staircase on the roof  will provide an exit for the 6th floor

Marking out the doors and window to match with both the fire escape landings and the existing window lines was "interesting" . Fortunately the escape is quite flexible and with two pairs of hands can be glued into place on both the annexe and the base

Here are the other sub assemblies waiting for the base to be finalised

1234092629_4Rear.jpg.8d622e9ba13f7bd3681d1be00a417a00.jpg

I was always a bit concerned about concealing the 2 separate Scalescene ends on each wing but I think this will work out quite well.

I covered the two battered chimney pieces with Dressed stone paper cut to shape. Below them, the pieces of 1mm card with appropriate windows and doors will be glued direct to the end walls. (thats why the curtains are drawn)

All that remains to be done, apart from glueing in place, is to add doors to the kitchens below the Palm Court and  ventilation units to the roof of both the kitchens and the single floor extension on the right. 

And chimneys of course......I treated myself to some rather nice castings from Langley

More to come.......keep safe

A change from Rugby......I will be watching Race 5 of the Prada Cup this evening (Saturday afternoon in N.Z.) with fingers crossed that Sir Ben can pull off another miraculous recovery........a decent start would help.

Edited by john dew
Photos recovered 19/8/22
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, john dew said:

A change from Rugby......I will be watching Race 5 of the Prada Cup this evening (Saturday afternoon in N.Z.) with fingers crossed that Sir Ben can pull off another miraculous recovery........a decent start would help.

I might do the same. I watched the first Super Rugby AU 2021 match last night - the first under the new broadcasting deal. The production quality was very poor so I don't think I'll bother shelling out for a streaming subscription (one match per round is on free-to-air). The match was brilliant or awful, depending on who you support (no spoilers).

Oh, and the hotel looks great. Just needs a string quartet in the Palm Court...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

That Hotel looks great @john dew and wow that staircase looks great, I bet you had fun building that.....

The quartet looks good for the opening night, although I think something might happen to them all one by one :-)

Great to see the progress, Im looking forward to seeing the hotel instu.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

With the Hotel building itself now complete, I hope I can be forgiven for re posting a couple of  "before" shots of the rear

504999680_0.5CentreandRwing.jpg.66ad2a8fa48647b7909380803bdeffed.jpg

715601141_0.6hotelrear.jpg.b014943ae21e591eccafa394d168e12f.jpg

I must admit that I am rather chuffed with the way the 1mm veneers I showed last week fitted smoothly on to the backs:

217216809_1Intro.jpg.1c73cf4682d3e17ba3bd0e6baf8fdd89.jpg

Building now glued to base. Fire Escape and Ventilation in place.

Here is a less than flattering close up to give a glimpse of the kitchen

943211000_2kitchenhvac.jpg.244c43874dc11337c6ae0f4e91d6d7e1.jpg

Outside the kitchen doors I am hoping to convert a couple of Modelu lounging engine crew into sous chefs having a crafty smoke break. Painting the Blue and White check trousers will be an interesting challenge.

The close up does show up the origins of the ventilating equipment...small blocks of 2mm card clad with Scalescene print outs and a dab of weathering powder. From the obligatory 3' I think it looks quite credible although I wouldnt want an HVac engineer to look too closely at the layout!

Normally I use either painted wood skewers or Wills for chimneys but I thought I should splurge for the Talbot Hotel ......here are 30 metal castings from Langley Models.

89549804_2.5Chimneys.jpg.44cd302824cf370f603b0282b98c77c4.jpg

Also from Langly (usual disclaimer) the fire escape

1853392280_3Chimneysandtopsteps.jpg.37a6a1a218a4ba60fea857422364da9e.jpg

109668534_4.1Sideview.jpg.2ee2b77228f2c9ee18bb3b0884d7750d.jpg

1753727579_4.5FireEscape.jpg.64f5adeb5531e335db953ebf1569d730.jpg

807468536_5finish.jpg.fc7d64339112476771ed3dd829d4a486.jpg

I still have to add lamp posts at the front and a few detailing cameos front and back. That will have to wait until I have finished creating enough space on the layout to for the hotel base with its over large foot print!

I have to take regular medication for high blood pressure.......unfortunately they have yet to discover a drug with sufficient strength to deal with my wrath at England contriving to lose to Wales on Saturday.........I am only just about back to normal!

Keep calm......keep safe

Edited by john dew
photos recovered 19/8
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, john dew said:

......unfortunately they have yet to discover a drug with sufficient strength to deal with my wrath at England contriving to lose to Wales on Saturday.........

I can understand your wrath!  24 all at 60 minutes and England’s for the losing . . . which they promptly did.  It felt like 13 against 17 with two of the 17 in white.

Paul.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

I can understand your wrath!  24 all at 60 minutes and England’s for the losing . . . which they promptly did.  It felt like 13 against 17 with two of the 17 in white.

Paul.

I forgot to record it, which as it turned out was probably a good thing.

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Paul.

I thought the English attack was the most imaginative it has been since the WC semi final. At 24 all the Welsh were beginning to look a little rattled. Those three elementary penalties on the trot were unforgiveable.

The other key item not mentioned much was Farrels unusually poor place kicking. I think he left either 8 or 11 points on the ground.....compare that with the accuracy of Biggar and Sheedy!

I can only hope they get their act together for the two remaining games

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I forgot to record it, which as it turned out was probably a good thing.

You missed a pretty eventful game. Shall I PM you a reminder for the Irish game? The time difference can be a real problem  with sporting events. I missed a couple of Prada Cup days before I realised that Friday  afternoon in Auckland is Thursday evening in Vancouver!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/03/2021 at 23:49, Neal Ball said:

The hotel looks great @john dew. Presumably once planted the AA inspector will make his soon to be annual visits....

Whats next at Granby?

Thanks Neal.............the inspectors were very happy......

For next summers project I am contemplating a Castle on the window sill! That should keep me occupied

Hope all is well

Best wishes

Edited by john dew
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, phil.c said:

Looking excellent John especially with the fire escape, better still with extras you're going to add ;)

Thanks Phil......so glad you like it. Cant wait to get started painting little people for front and back.

I am sure you enjoyed the game.......it was very kind of you to avoid mentioning it:)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You missed a pretty eventful game. Shall I PM you a reminder for the Irish game? The time difference can be a real problem  with sporting events. I missed a couple of Prada Cup days before I realised that Friday  afternoon in Auckland is Thursday evening in Vancouver!

Don't worry John, I'll try to remember.

I didn't see any Prada Cup races live but we got a repeat at about 2130 AEDT so I watched a few of those. Looking forward to the big event now. Luna Rossa has great boat speed and Spithill certainly knows how to start a match race. Interesting days ahead!

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I didn't see any Prada Cup races live but we got a repeat at about 2130 AEDT so I watched a few of those. Looking forward to the big event now. Luna Rossa has great boat speed and Spithill certainly knows how to start a match race. Interesting days ahead!

I am looking forward to it as well.   If the two boats are evenly matched it should be quite exciting although with the absence of passing lanes everything seems to depend on the two minutes before the start. Its now a far cry from conventional racing.......I guess thats progress and helps with the Tv ratings!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Great model, John.  It might take peoples attention from the trains though!:unsure:

Brian.

Thanks Brian. I hope it wont although its certainly distracted me from operating much during the last three months. I am afraid it developed a life of its own and has turned out much bigger than I originally intended. Too late now though...I will have to live with it :rolleyes:  I will try and show some trains in the next post.

Keep safe

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Every time I look at the hotel I notice something new. The Langley parts really complete the structure, especially that fire escape. I like how it will look different from all four sides (if they can all be seen?). I think it will make your trains look even better.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, john dew said:

I am looking forward to it as well.   If the two boats are evenly matched it should be quite exciting although with the absence of passing lanes everything seems to depend on the two minutes before the start. Its now a far cry from conventional racing.......I guess thats progress and helps with the Tv ratings!

I'm not sure that progress isn't over rated.

From a technology point of view the AC75s are outstanding, but are they making for good match racing (my view is not).  I had the opportunity to watch a weekend of match racing at close quarters last year in Elliot 6Ms (6 metre keelboat, 3-4 crew), and they were providing far closer racing.  Dial ups, tacking and gybing duels etc.

As for TV coverage, does anyone remember the 12Ms off Freemantle in 1987 (the UK had a weekly TV programme covering the entire series).  That was getting good ratings.  And remember the number of challengers there were with 12Ms and the IACC boats.

The outcome of the final will be interesting.  It looks as though a Kiwi win will see Ineos as Challenger of Record (so more of the same next time around).  Rumour has it that if the Italians win, the Swiss will be the CoR, and it will back back to something more conventional.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, figworthy said:

From a technology point of view the AC75s are outstanding, but are they making for good match racing (my view is not).  I had the opportunity to watch a weekend of match racing at close quarters last year in Elliot 6Ms (6 metre keelboat, 3-4 crew), and they were providing far closer racing.  Dial ups, tacking and gybing duels etc.

As for TV coverage, does anyone remember the 12Ms off Freemantle in 1987 (the UK had a weekly TV programme covering the entire series).  That was getting good ratings.  And remember the number of challengers there were with 12Ms and the IACC boats.

The outcome of the final will be interesting.  It looks as though a Kiwi win will see Ineos as Challenger of Record (so more of the same next time around).  Rumour has it that if the Italians win, the Swiss will be the CoR, and it will back back to something more conventional.

I read this and thought..... The Talbot Hotel? surely not....

Then I realised it was something different lol

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Every time I look at the hotel I notice something new. The Langley parts really complete the structure, especially that fire escape. I like how it will look different from all four sides (if they can all be seen?). I think it will make your trains look even better.

Hi Mikkel

I have only just stopped giggling at your slippery eels......brilliant modelling.

Glad you like the latest additions. There is just one side that isnt visible without a helicopter shot. Its the side next to the Post Office side. I made sure that my first attempt at the low relief kit finished up there

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I read this and thought..... The Talbot Hotel? surely not....

Then I realised it was something different lol

:)  Sorry Neal........that was my fault I drifted off topic on to Rugby and then Sailing!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, figworthy said:

I should have put progress in quotes or added a question mark. It was intended as reluctant acceptance rather than approval.

In fact I share your view that it is not a particularly good match racing format. .

I do indeed remember the 1987 12M racing......it was brilliant ....we were glued to the TV.  As weekend racers we could relate directly to almost everything taking place on the race course which is not the case now.

I had heard that the Kiwis favour Ineos as Challenger of Record but I hadnt heard the Prada group  wanted to revert to a more conventional design.......interesting! 

• RMweb Premium

In fact I share your view that it is not a particularly good match racing format.

I think the "gate" arrangements instead of conventional marks have a lot to do with that. I've seen some good match racing in some of the races but only in short bursts.

• Friendly/supportive 1