GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the likes and the comments "MIB", Nick....now released from the doghouse I assume and Andy.........

Excellent Shots John, the smoke stacks are particularly good, fine modelling young Sir, fine modelling indeed.

Not sure about the "young sir" I rather think I can give you quite a few years.......but I do appreciate the compliment...particularly from you.

Incidentally I should have mentioned that the stacks are a bit vulnerable. The shed is right next to the duck under so the stacks are immediately under the flight path for essential supplies like tea, coffee and the occasional glass of wine. Sadly one is in the repair shop right now waitng for a fitter with super glue.

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments Jamie and, of course, for all the "likes"

These are some photos of cat walks that I took at Didcot almost 20 years ago. Apologies for the poor quality.

post-465-0-22577600-1413387520_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-71758400-1413387537_thumb.jpg

I know Didcot is GWR and this is LMS (ex LNWR) but I have seen this feature on many photos so I thought it would be worth trying to replicate.............it also helps to conceal the roof transitions

post-465-0-71250800-1413387402.jpg

3 Strips of 2mm x 1.5mm Evergreen plastic with beams glued at 1" centres . I cut the beams over size to facilitate glueing and once secure cut to size. I cut one side of each beam at an approximation of 60o to mate (sort of) with the roof

post-465-0-82217800-1413387416.jpg

Painted and drilled over the beams to accept Ratio stanchions............these are a really useful bit of kit.....you can use them for all manner of railings and are so much easier to handle than using bits of wire as vertical supports.......its a bit fiddly threading the wire railing through the apertures and keeping the uprights at 90o............but then I had another look at the Didcot photo and realised I didnt have to be too picky!

post-465-0-89357800-1413387427.jpg

I found some little brass etchings on the cannibalised coach kit which fitted the beam ends perfectly and could be bent back to line up with the roof.

So here they are in position. I just need to add access ladders and some people.

post-465-0-71717000-1413387493.jpg

post-465-0-17262800-1413387478.jpg

Edited by john dew
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

John (Flann)and SP1...... my apologies for not acknowledging your kind remarks sooner......some canine emergencies interrupted my forum activity.

As always.....thank you for all the likes.....modelling on my own, on the Pacific West Coast, it is very encouraging to get acknowledgements like that, particularly from forum members whose work/expertise I have long admired....again thank you.

This post will bring the Metcalfe Shed project to a close.

post-465-0-19851600-1414511952.jpg

I like detailing and I may have been guilty of overdoing it.....my excuse its right near the door where visitors congregate.......I make no excuses for the number of little people added. Earlier in the thread I mused about the number of people who would have been employed at a shed like this.....if anything I suspect I havent add enough

A word about paint colours.I spent some time trying to establish what might be appropriate with help from this and other forums. The shed is ex LNWR (despite the abundance of ex Midland Locos!) early 1948 and I decided that it was unlikely that the LMS would have repainted the woodwork so the bargeboards guttering and doors are my attempt to replicate very faded and dirty LNWR brown

Here are the side buildings with chimneys for the office and boiler house.

post-465-0-55423900-1414511964.jpg

Guttering, drain pipes,stand pipe and a fire point

plus I have just noticed a door off its hinges..............unintentional weathering?

post-465-0-12374900-1414511797_thumb.jpg

One of my attempts at a time stamp.......remains of the air raid siren on the roof

The "conduit" from the alarm to the bell hides the join from the side building to the Metcalfe Shed

post-465-0-46021500-1414511733.jpg

Ladder to the catwalk, another fire point and a couple of labourers.

I am afraid Code 100 is rather obvious in shots like this.

Heres a birds eye view of the yard

post-465-0-44835600-1414511934.jpg

post-465-0-89547900-1414511719.jpg

The yard lamp is actually Dart Castings GWR but I think its sufficiently different from the Mikes Models GWR lamps I have used elsewhere.

I used an old Hornby Celestory coach as a Mess Hut and Latrine

post-465-0-82407500-1414511897.jpg

As a supplies store there is an old Parkside CCT van:

post-465-0-93026500-1414511828.jpg

Not sure about the veracity of the Loco Lamp store on the end ......I have seen something similar on a couple of other layouts and I rather liked the idea.

On the other end there is a fire iron rack......and this I have seen full size at Didcot:

post-465-0-02239200-1414511814.jpg

So thats it........done!

post-465-0-19851600-1414511952.jpg

There is still work to be done on the coaling road but that has got edged down the list by other projects..........one of which I hope to describe in my next post

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Once the LMS shed was completed I originally intended to take an axe to the embankment at the far end of the Engine Shed........next to the window in this shot

post-465-0-89048000-1414689861.jpg

In typical butterfly fashion....the charm of the hobby.....a change of plan:

Looking in the opposite direction towards the door into the train room:

post-465-0-83162200-1414689842.jpg

We have a rather pointless (sorry!) double track....... leading towards......a light switch .

At one stage this was going to lead to a coal mine ........but the site got taken over by a turntable for the storage sidings at the upper level.

I use one track, in a rather half hearted fashion, as the unfinished terminus for the lower level branch Autotrain

post-465-0-05331200-1414689919.jpg

Looking the other way you can see the double track over the canal with the pub beyond.......to the right are the arches of Granby viaduct

The plan is/was for one of these arches to provide road access to the, as yet unbuilt, dairy on the other side of the viaduct

post-465-0-10857300-1414689886.jpg

Its been like this for about three years waiting for inspiration......the first thing anyone sees when they enter the train room

Finally not so much inspiration as necessity created the catalyst to get going

On the upper level is a kick back siding from the storage sidings designed to accommodate 3 carriages......changes in my operating schedules now involve 4 coach trains which, with loco attached, foul the exit from the Turntable.........you can just see this below.

post-465-0-02471900-1414689939_thumb.jpg

So the plan was to extend the upper level carriage siding and at the lower level provide a factory to hide the light switch and create a purpose for the twin track........

"

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the likes guys!

This will be what I call a "digging the trenches" post.....outlining the preparatory work for the siding.......not very interesting I am afraid.

Track was removed and the existing point relaid so I could add a second point to create a Xover and a second siding leading to the warehouse site.

post-465-0-79968400-1415033908.jpg

The points are short radius insulfrogs; not ideal but there was no way I could dig down and install tortoises and at the time I had not heard of the DCC Concepts solenoid decoder that throws the point and switches the frog........perfect for the "given hindsight" approach that I am perfecting.

All the wiring had to be surface laid from its original baseboard entry point.......fortunately in most cases there was a convenient channel between the original cork base.......where there wasnt or I had to go at right angles to the track I just cut out a little trench and covered it with masking tape!

Where there was no cork base I added foamcore (uk foamboard?) to create a uniform level for both scenery and track......the track had to be relaid off the cork base because when originally laid, 3-4 years ago, I managed to misalign it

Even though the electrics are not exactly complicated I spent a fair bit of time checking them........with the surface wiring taped over I didnt want any issues.....I am about to post a rather poor video of one of my tests

Only thing remaining is to solder the feeds for the sidings but before doing that I want to check that the sidings will be absolutely square to the warehouse entrance doors

post-465-0-07267700-1415033933.jpg

The first 3-4" from the points have been glued down so that they are dead straight from the point.....the rest of the siding is loose because I need to create a very slight curve so that they are dead central through the doors

post-465-0-71436900-1415033953.jpg

Those of you who have built the Scalescene Warehouse will recognise the base units above. There isnt quite enough room to get 4 bays across the front .

post-465-0-19757600-1415033968.jpg

Rather than extend the Turntable area on the upper level to the edge of the warehouse I will build a brick wall to hide the wiring and gubbins and to suggest a side yard/passage.

Here is a quick run down on the plans for the remainder of the run:

post-465-0-54205500-1415034937.jpg

This is a scratch built Halt Platform from Granby II...the Wall at the back is the last remaining module from the quantity I bought from Langley Models for the Branch retaining wall.

Have to build a support for the shelter and fiddle with the position a bit! The ramps provide access for the folk working at both the warehouse and the dairy on the other side of the main line.

A very rough outline of the extended carriage siding

post-465-0-96779100-1415033827.jpg

When finished the front will be covered by the arches you saw in the last post

post-465-0-10655600-1415035625.jpg

It will be curved to follow the line of both the main line and the carriage siding.The two outside arches will be bricked (stoned) in.

post-465-0-74660500-1415035557.jpg

Allowing the dairy traffic to enter and exit over the level crossing

Lots to be done !!

"

• Like 6

"digging a trench", John was an interesting comment as it is just what I did when wiring up the alterations to Hintock.

It worked out very well and so easy compared to work upside down or gain access underneath.

It to made me wonder why we put our wiring under the board when with some forethought for cable runs it could all be done above board.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

Thats very perceptive of you......I have to confess that when I typed it out I didnt think of the connection with the wiring technique I was obliged to use....I was just trying to summarise the behind the scenes work (muck and nettles perhaps) that has to be done before you can retrofit something.

I do agree with you though. I started off with a fairly organised wiring plan, and I suspect Granby has rather more wires per linear foot than Hintock, now 8 years on, one can only think of Spaghetti! Life would be much easier if I didnt have to bend down every time I need to fault find (far too frequently I am afraid!)

Kind Regards

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I promised to post a video of one of my "tests" .....its called:

"The mystery of the train that wouldnt stop"

The video is unedited and of very indifferent quality......it probably should be in the DCC section but, after all, it is a part of Granby's somewhat erratic development

I hope some of you find it amusing:

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml_a3RgDCT8"

• Like 2

John, I didn't find it amusing-more confusing. But then I'm not into DCC and all that. I leave that to you and others so inclined.

But I did note you managed to get an 0-4-2 running and doing its job,

No doubt you know your way around all those different wires and electrical gear.

Me, I'll stick to two wires-one red, one white.

• RMweb Gold

Here are some shots of the Scalescene Warehouse which will be at the end of the siding and is in fact the projects principal raison d'etre.

In addition to the autotrain shuttling back and forth I intend to run an automated shunting routine

post-465-0-88696300-1415296441.jpg

The model with a thousand cuts!

post-465-0-79775000-1415296488_thumb.jpg

I think the trick is little and often otherwise it can become quite tedious.

46_082113_100000000.jpg

I am not aware of a Soap Factory in North Wales although, of course, Unilever and Port Sunlight are not too far away. I did contemplate a Biscuit Factory but this enabled me to name the building after an Internet friend in Australia

A Soap Factory will enable me to shunt Vans for the finished product, a tanker for raw materials and coal for power (and taricon_rolleyes.gif ?)

46_082113_100000001.jpg

I have built a few of these but they have previously been low relief.......this is the first stand alone model......it is, like all John Wiffen's models, very robust.....I havent attempted this but I suspect I could drop it from a great height without ill effect

Its designed to fit into a sort of inglenook so I had to customise a staff entrance for the third bay

46_082113_110000002.jpg

I improvised some detail with plasticard doors and added some signs and a suggestion of a loading dock.

The kit is designed to have Northlights which I chose to ignore..........Instead I scratch built a flat roof with an access shed for the stairs and a second building to house the lift wheel hoists

46_082113_110000003.jpg

Some of these ideas came from my wife whose mother and sister used to work in a mill in Oldham.........Doreen is insistent I add some old packing cases and chairs.......apparently the mill roof was a great place for getting a tan (through the ever present smog?)

This is the site for the finished model.....the light switch has now been replaced with a wireless remote)

46_251748_140000000.jpg

46_082113_110000004.jpg

The view from the other side across the storage yard turntable

46_082113_350000000.jpg

And how it looked in 1947?

46_082113_360000001.jpg

It looks very un-populated.......I have a load of Monty's model figures that I just have to finish painting.

Hopefully I can show the finished halt and sidings next week

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

With this update we are (almost) in real time!

The principal objective of this project was to make the area at the entrance to the railway room more visually attractive. The duck under tends to act as a deterrent and most visitors congregate on the entrance side

First an overall view

46_180033_400000000.jpg

The duck under, canal, viaduct and warehouse siding are in the foreground.........on the right hand side above the lower level branch are the storage sidings (normally concealed by a long row of Metcalfe Housing) the storage turn table and the carriage siding

Regular readers may recall the catalyst for this project was to extend the carriage siding to accommodate 4 coaches

Here is an under construction "before" shot

46_251749_320000000.jpg

and now an "after" shot showing the siding comfortably accommodating 4 coaches without fouling the Turntable entry point

46_180052_220000000.jpg

A Coopercraft Platelayers hut fits into the space at the end of the siding

46_180033_410000002.jpg

At the siding level a manually operated level crossing allows access to both the halt and, through the tunnel, to the dairy (still to be built!)

46_180033_410000003.jpg

As a child I lived close to the Liverpool-Southport line.......there were many crossings there and I have tried to incorporate some of my distant memories.........one thing bothers me.......this kit came with red discs to be attached to the gates.....and I have seen many photos of crossings with discs but I am near certain they were not there in 1947.......if anyone has any idea when they were introduced please let me know. 

As you would imagine I have a very critical and knowledgeable audience in Vancouver :jester:

One thing that I do vividly recall is the plethora of cast iron signs

46_180033_410000004.jpg

The Southport line started as the Liverpool-Southport Rly Co which became part of the Lancs and Yorks Rly Co followed by the LNWR followed by the LMS followed by British Rail........the legal and warning signs for each company protecting a minor right of way were all still firmly embedded in 1958!

The GWR had a less convoluted history but, as one would expect, the Granby-Chester Rly Co signs are still in place at Brymbo Halt

Here is another "before" shot.......this time of the halt itself

46_251748_150000004.jpg

and after a lot of hacking:

46_180035_210000000.jpg

I see that I still have to bed the Pagoda in somewhat :O

I have crammed a fair bit of detail in an attempt to show a quintessential feature of many GWR Branch Lines

The ramps have the prototypical  horizontal battens to stop passengers slipping and, as you can see, there are no fancy wrought iron or wood paling fencing......just posts and wire.

Lighting is provided by my attempt at replicating a Tilly Lamp (Paraffin) which were hauled up to the top of a 20' pole where a reflector allegedly created a much wider spread of light than gas lamps.  

I have to say Tilly lamps bring back memories of my Army days......standard issue for illuminating Bell tents!

46_180035_210000001.jpg

I always try to suggest there is life beyond the base board......hence the level crossing and naming the halt Brymbo Canal Street thus linking it with the canal to the left..

There was, in fact, a Brymbo branch near Wrexham (Granby) but that is the extent of any resemblance.

As I remarked in my last post, I still need to add some people who are currently in the Paint Shop

Finally another Black and White showing the Warehouse yard with assorted STOP and " No loco beyond this point" signs......although, as in some prototypes, the Pannier will, in actual fact, have to enter the Warehouse yard to clear the Xover points!

46_180035_210000002.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, what a transformation. You really have an eye for designing layout space, I think. What I like about it is that it all seems quite natural and not too compressed, despite being in a fairly small and awkward space. I was trying to think why it works so well, maybe it's the way the different levels work together, and the different curves and shapes and apertures of the embankments and viaducts, and your use of the factory which sort of combines the high and low level.

The crossing is very attractive, when you posted earlier I was wondering how you were going to solve the problem of the road coming out under the embankment, but the crossing solves that nicely of course. And it even has a "connection" to your childhood!

Edited by Mikkel

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mikkel

It  is very kind of you to say such nice things about Granby. If the truth be told the overall effect was achieved more by luck than judgement. I have always wanted to create the crammed in effect with different lines criss crossing which is so typical of northern industrial towns. But in this case, once I had dismissed the mine concept, I had no idea how to deal with the last double track across the canal......in fact in one post I think I described it as a bridge too far! Which is probably why it lay semi dormant for almost three years.......however alls well that ends well............thank you again for the kind comments and to all for all the likes and craftsmen ticks

Kind Regards from a cold but sunny Vancouver

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure it's not luck, John. In all those three years it's been maturing at the back of your mind, even when you didn't know it! That's the human condition for railway modellers!  :sarcastic:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This winter my aim is to complete the last major piece of landscaping on Granby. Of course it is actually "streetscaping" rather than landscaping!

There will always be other projects to complete or improve but this is undoubtedly the beginning of the end.

The area involved is about 12' long and between 6" and 2' wide, running in front of the main station area

46_112136_300000002.jpg

The keystone of the project will be the main station building and the completion of the last module of the overall roof.

46_280038_390000002.jpg

46_280038_390000004.jpg

At the lower level are storage sidings for the branch which will be covered over

The next shot taken from the opposite side shows the completed North end of the roof and the site of the station building at the far end

46_112136_300000001.jpg

This is a run round loop involving an ill chosen insulfrog double slip (less than ideal for a covered area!)  which provides a run round facility for the branch B Set .

The double slip leads on to 2 storage sidings.....one for the B Set and the other for the Autotrain

46_112136_300000003.jpg

All the trains on Granby run automatically with RR&Co......no problems for the autotrain and diesel railcar but a bit more problematic for the BSet which involves the loco uncoupling and running around the carriages before coupling and backing into the storage siding

I have run the routine many many times and its now very reliable but better safe than sorry.....the coverings will be removeable and have some observation windows.......just in case the loco doesnt stop over the magnet.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I have now made the covers for the lower level using a reinforced L shape of MDF board. The carpentry aint great but hopefully the bodging will not be too obvious when its clad with scenery and the vertical surfaces are spray painted.

The covers are in three removable sections

This is the first........a long (6') skinny (5") section leading up to the Parcels Depot  

46_181257_230000000.jpg

Here is a close up of one of the viewing peepholes.

46_181257_230000003.jpg

As the project unfolds you will see that I am taking great pains to ensure that the covers can easily removed. Having said that I am hoping, with these check windows, cover removal will be quite rare.

I have found that a single siding leading to the Parcels Depot is quite restrictive so as part of this project I am going to insert a point serving a second siding which will use up the 3" wide undeveloped strip on the baseboard proper. I will resite the depot on the new siding

46_181257_230000001.jpg

Here is the much battered (and cannabilised) parcels depot.......its a relic from Granby II where it was used as a goods shed

46_181257_230000002.jpg

Lots of repair work to do plus I plan to add a couple of ancillary buildings.

The remainder of the strip will be occupied by some Scalescene terraced houses

Looking from the opposite angle there is a short ramp section, which leads the street from track level to platform level, and thence to Station Square

46_181257_230000004.jpg

Here is the main station building roughly in position

46_181301_180000000.jpg

Its one of John Wiffens more complex designs with lots of three dimensional detail

I did most of the cutting out during the summer and assembled it when I got home....this is the first time I have been able to put it in position.

46_181301_180000001.jpg

Although the building itself is quite impressive to me it isnt quite right......perhaps its too ornate for its size........ A friend hit the nail on the head when he remarked elsewhere that the building itself looks out of proportion in relation to both the tower and particularly the overall roof. At one stage I contemplated building a second floor .....but chickened out and I also had a conversation with another guy who was going to build a second tower....in N! My more modest plan is to add a couple of annexes/ wings in an L shape.
One of my favourite hobby horses is the tendency of modellers of this period to forget just how labour intensive the railways were. Not just footplate men, shed workers and station porters but also the veritable army of clerical staff (they even had their own union) shuffling the reams of paper involved in running the railway.......these guys had to be housed somewhere.

Moving beyond the station........I found that when operating loco exchanges the absence of a storage siding off the up main made the operation quite cumbersome.

46_181301_180000002.jpg

Now seems a good time to put that right (sorry about the picture quality)

46_182313_120000000.jpg

And finally I have to address this issue

46_181307_540000000.jpg

Its the unfinished   (obviously icon_surprised.gif)    back of the canal warehouse .......its been like this for almost 4 years while I ponder about a solution.........sadly I am still pondering but I have a load of work to do before I eventually get to this part of the project!

• Like 7