GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

• RMweb Gold

Really impressed by the video John, you’ve really transformed that loco.

Also impressed by the van shunting accuracy, shows the potential of RR&Co.

cheers

Tony

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Excellent video John thank you.

My Zimo decoder(s) and supercaps are winging their way to me as we speak from YouChoos...... for the new 61xx. Very much looking forward to getting them in and controlling them with such finesse.

Regards, Neal.

• RMweb Gold
On 15/07/2020 at 02:04, trw1089 said:

Really impressed by the video John, you’ve really transformed that loco.

Also impressed by the van shunting accuracy, shows the potential of RR&Co.

cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony.....glad you liked the video.

I am afraid I havent applied the finishing touch yet. Mrs D is still researching the North American version of Pledge.

Could you possibly remind me how I apply it? I was thinking of very small quantity on a cotton bud and gentlepolishing?

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Excellent video John thank you.

My Zimo decoder(s) and supercaps are winging their way to me as we speak from YouChoos...... for the new 61xx. Very much looking forward to getting them in and controlling them with such finesse.

Regards, Neal.

Hi Neal

Thank you!

So you have the loco and I have the decoder (my decoders and supercaps arrived yesterday)....... Are you planning to put the supercap in the bunker space in the body?.......the decoder slot in the chassis looks too tight.

I will be very interested how your loco runs. After all the doom and gloom on the Prairie thread I am quite apprehensive. I am particularly worried about the front bogie derailing.....I have a couple of rather dodgy bits of track they will have to negotiate. Hopefully you will be able re- assure me....

I hasten to add that I am not suggesting Henley has any dodgy track ,:unsure:

Cheers

John

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, john dew said:

Thanks Tony.....glad you liked the video.

I am afraid I havent applied the finishing touch yet. Mrs D is still researching the North American version of Pledge.

Could you possibly remind me how I apply it? I was thinking of very small quantity on a cotton bud and gentlepolishing?

Cheers

John

Hi John

I use a long flat brush and apply it from the top of the boiler or tank/cab sides downwards.  I wouldn’t worry about trying to find Pledge, we don’t have it here in Oz as far as I have been able to look, so I use another floor polish product I found.  The critical thing is it has to dry with a clear gloss, so just look on the pack if it suggests it is clear and shiny.  I also use a drop of Photoflo or similar wetting agent just to make sure it goes over the matte surface well.

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, john dew said:

I am particularly worried about the front bogie derailing

The fixing screw has a standard M2 thread so I replaced it with a slightly longer one which bottoms in the hole.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/07/2020 at 03:24, john dew said:

I click a virtual switch to start the first schedule and then everything follows including the Kadee Uncoupling Shuffles.

John, that's a super video and I'm most impressed by what you are doing with RR&Co.

But...

It highlights for me why I don't like Kadees, especially with permanent magnets. Those shuffles just kill the illusion for me.

Not a criticism of your layout of course - just my opinion of Kadees.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, john dew said:

Hi Neal

Thank you!

So you have the loco and I have the decoder (my decoders and supercaps arrived yesterday)....... Are you planning to put the supercap in the bunker space in the body?.......the decoder slot in the chassis looks too tight.

I will be very interested how your loco runs. After all the doom and gloom on the Prairie thread I am quite apprehensive. I am particularly worried about the front bogie derailing.....I have a couple of rather dodgy bits of track they will have to negotiate. Hopefully you will be able re- assure me....

I hasten to add that I am not suggesting Henley has any dodgy track ,:unsure:

Cheers

John

Sadly the reality is that I do indeed have some dodgy track! The Prairie found every section that needed attention!

Which was good / frustrating, but at least the various bits are now fixed. Although it didn’t like one point in particular, where the leading wheel wanted to carry straight on. I want to add some extra weight and thought about using the coupling pocket to add some liquid lead. I have then thought about adding an ATC shoe (whitemetal) as they always appear so prominently. At Henley I’m unlikely to use the front coupler as everything will get turned on the turntable. I’ve fallen behind with my updates so will need to get a move on!

However! I found I didn’t have as many spare decoders as I thought..... with enough cable on to get inside the loco....

Loco 1: 2nd hand decoder inside, running issues.

Loco 2: new Gaugemaster decoder with stay alive - too big to fit inside, so ran round with no body! Ran like a dream.

Even on 12v DC the 2 locos are different!

Im hoping by the time the decoders arrive, You choos will have added their instruction sheets! John has suggested 3 different options to fit everything. I will carve out some space in the bunker and fit everything in there.

When are your locos due? My decoders should arrive around Wednesday next week.... subject to a Royal Mail and Correos.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Sadly the reality is that I do indeed have some dodgy track! The Prairie found every section that needed attention!

Which was good / frustrating, but at least the various bits are now fixed. Although it didn’t like one point in particular, where the leading wheel wanted to carry straight on. I want to add some extra weight and thought about using the coupling pocket to add some liquid lead. I have then thought about adding an ATC shoe (whitemetal) as they always appear so prominently. At Henley I’m unlikely to use the front coupler as everything will get turned on the turntable. I’ve fallen behind with my updates so will need to get a move on!

However! I found I didn’t have as many spare decoders as I thought..... with enough cable on to get inside the loco....

Loco 1: 2nd hand decoder inside, running issues.

Loco 2: new Gaugemaster decoder with stay alive - too big to fit inside, so ran round with no body! Ran like a dream.

Even on 12v DC the 2 locos are different!

Im hoping by the time the decoders arrive, You choos will have added their instruction sheets! John has suggested 3 different options to fit everything. I will carve out some space in the bunker and fit everything in there.

When are your locos due? My decoders should arrive around Wednesday next week.... subject to a Royal Mail and Correos.

Hi Neal

I will look forward to seeing your bunker installation....it will be very helpful.

Having run both with “other” decoders it will be interesting to see how they perform with Zimo and SA.

I will have to run mine bunker first on one schedule ....so I will have to use another solution for the front bogie. A slightly longer screw sounds like the easiest option ....I will try that first.

I doubt If I will see them before September. Hattons are talking about next month and it usually takes  3-4 weeks to get from Liverpool to Vancouver

Best wishes

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, john dew said:

......I doubt If I will see them before September. Hattons are talking about next month and it usually takes  3-4 weeks to get from Liverpool to Vancouver

Best wishes

I thought it was bad enough for 1 week to get parcels here! It was 1 1/2weeks during the lockdown.

Have a good weekend. Neal.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I thought it was bad enough for 1 week to get parcels here! It was 1 1/2weeks during the lockdown.

Have a good weekend. Neal.

Things have improved here. My last two packages, one from Hattons and one from Kernow, took three weeks. Earlier in the year it was anything up to two months. In the good old days two weeks was about the norm.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Gorgeous weather here.......too hot for gardening:

Time for some modelling :

826403664_1.1Intro.jpg.094f01303d029b0f195a3e56b84bcd2a.jpg

342159279_1.2intro.jpg.f36e7cf0c2934cd9a3f9ff0f86782ddc.jpg

A bit more work on the Station Hotel, last seen plonked on St Asaph Square in February.

570138019_1.3Landscape.jpg.91b91c5266619dd47074c80e22cdbc2c.jpg 

The plan is to expand the low relief kit into a full size model .....facing the square and backing on to the railway in the rear.........so two sides and the back still to be built ......and I still have to work out how to deal with the roof!

First job is to build one of the corner sub assemblies which will connect the front with one of the side units

1649506179_1.4Components.jpg.5df90a334d0bbd5517ae4093bac2e9e0.jpg

It was surprisingly easy and quick to build.........so quick in fact that I omitted to take photos of a couple of the stages but hopefully these shots give an idea of the sequence

92393276_2Floors.jpg.7fb2783e388d27bca106c33196a02649.jpg

194666139_4Interior.jpg.1933e28d9079a259003d9e60b074de6f.jpg

1047314601_5Corner.jpg.ce8d485351c3d24a87031b4076e3ebcb.jpg

Next stage is to build one of the sides. This will take a lot longer because it is not only more complicated but I will  have to do a fair bit of cutting and shutting with the base templates in order to replace the elaborate entrance way with a third matching window.

In other news, my new Hornby large prairies left Liverpool early last week........delivery times from the UK vary significantly particularly with Covid ........but next week is, perhaps, a remote possibility.

Its a delivery that I am looking forward to with a mixture of pleasurable anticipation and some trepidation. Reaction to the model has been mixed, particularly in relation to its running. Some owners are clearly very happy with the model.....others less so, with reports of the pony wheels derailing and/or uneven motor performance. I do hope my Prairies fit into the former group......

However there is no point in worrying.......right now I am focused on cutting out 36 perfect window apertures!

Regards from a very sunny Vancouver

John

Edited by john dew
24/8/2022 Photos
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, john dew said:

Its a delivery that I am looking forward to with a mixture of pleasurable anticipation and some trepidation. Reaction to the model has been mixed, particularly in relation to its running. Some owners are clearly very happy with the model.....others less so, with reports of the pony wheels derailing and/or uneven motor performance. I do hope my Prairies fit into the former group......

It'll be fine John and I look forward to your review of it.:dance_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Some more excellent card modelling going on - thanks for taking the time to show "step by steps" for us to learn from.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi John, like your card kits, took me a while to realise it was indeed card!. UK Air Mail has improved here the last few days to just over a week for small items and letters.  About ten to fourteen days though for mags, etc.  Nothing major due so don't know.

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian

Good to hear from you. Glad you liked  my efforts with Scalescene . They are remarkable kits. John Wiffen , the designer,  is quite brilliant at incorporating additional detail which makes the finished item less two dimensional

Hope you are keeping well and enjoying the summer.....although I guess its a bit damp today!

Best wishes

John

• RMweb Gold

Continuing with the development of the Scalescene Hotel. We now have a completed side to add to the front and corner unit.

The weather was a bit changeable last week. Rain didnt exactly stop play but it did cause a few changes in venue, hence the variatiun in some of the photos.

The side is identical to the front except I wanted to substitute a central window in place of the pillared Entrance Door. I have tried to avoid repetition and too much detail. Hopefully the photos help follow the sequence but delighted to answer any questions.

1154301430_4Baselayer.jpg.2de57b1761222af036d3c4e798f0f15c.jpg

The base layer template for the new window had to be cut out and centred very carefully.

When I made the front section, in February, I found it difficult to get clean cuts on the small windows using my usual Olfa craft knife .......this time I used a scalpel blade. Time consuming but much crisper.

1327614917_6overlay.jpg.e4b80157989ad58f696505c894a4bc78.jpg

I originally intended to have two plain central windows on the 1st and 2nd floors but then realised that using the overlay from the kit would avoid a lot of complications blending in new cover

224379769_8.1Arch.jpg.c76ec6b3df9d99be36a051f67556144c.jpg

All I had to do was reduce the width of the central columns and print some more cover layer ........and Bob's your uncle:

713004232_9fronts.jpg.872965822ef080bbe1a33d713e499c65.jpg

Add windows and curtains

1173919832_11WindowaandCurtains.jpg.bc3d0be6c6f72d355dca3564edb2e316.jpg

Next paste the support elements....ceilings,floors sides on to 2mm board

The instructions suggest doing this first. I think it better to complete the front so you can test fit as you go and avoid the dangers of "thicknessr creep".

922626769_20HeavyCard.jpg.7e9b8e4940a5ee77cc23331064a6d27a.jpg

Lots of cutting out and laminating

1571809942_21laminating.jpg.c99611782c65d0fb05221e75097da930.jpg

1896222130_23Boxcomplete.jpg.0c75c0fb4ca89b4893f6fb0f53225f0c.jpg

Completing the jigsaw.......the two front elements slide between the horizontal ledges

334937319_24assembly.jpg.4f6839a67afc84e52c524294c39877ef.jpg

There is virtually no tolerance......hence the importance of test fittin early on.

Pediments and pilasters.....buttresses and friezes........all done except for roofing:

598254894_25Landscape.jpg.f2b60972485626bda26366596736f5ab.jpg

1681359112_27Frontage.jpg.f7e250074bc0413a014214433793172f.jpg

Another side to do but first I think I will make a second corner unit and try and finalist the footprint and pavements.

Regards from Vancouver

John

Edited by john dew
missing photo 24/8/22
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
On 05/08/2020 at 07:53, john dew said:

In other news, my new Hornby large prairies left Liverpool early last week........delivery times from the UK vary significantly particularly with Covid ........but next week is, perhaps, a remote possibility.

And the sun continues to shine on the righteous......

816110355_1.5Prairie.jpg.31b2f1970caa2237d5e6aae638fe2867.jpg

No broken bits, I think the whistles are straight and she ran fine on the DC rolling road. I dont have a decent run of DC track so the big test will come when I plug in a spare Lenz decoder into what will become 4121

Lots to do, the other loco (4124 to be) is still to emerge from its chrysalis.......more to come

Edited by john dew
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
On 14/08/2020 at 09:48, gwrrob said:

What's your verdict on the green John now that you've seen it in the flesh.

Good question. I am so used to Hornby Olive drab that I hadnt really thought about it.

After your post I put together a quick composite

Bachnann Pannier, Prairie and Hornby Grange Tender (temporary fix no tender! JMD 22/8/22

1228468159_1Combo.jpg.cfc1aa19aeba698e0cff1ca678fb9d0e.jpg

"

For consistency I have used the same Affinity editing buttons I normally do.

I think  it appears to have some similarity with the Grange tender although less so in the flesh.

I guess my immediate reaction is " ok" just........that may be a bit grudging and I will be weathering mine.

What do you think?

Best wishes

John

Edited by john dew
missing photo 24/8/22
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, john dew said:

What do you think?

Yes, OK and getting better but not as rich as Bachmann's green. It doesn't help the prairie by being so plasticky. Weathering will transform it.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Modelling time last week was spent mostly admiring and worrying in equal measure about my two new Prairies.

982222976_1.5Prairie.jpg.2c8bbff2a60f43e57f1b488974b8a5a3.jpg

There is much to admire about the model. The visual appearance is generally excellent. I guess one could quibble about the body colour but Hornby's interpretation of GWR green has rarely met with universal approval! When weathered it will comfortably pass muster on Granby.

Some of the detail is quite exquisite. The wheels and motion are particularly attractive. Visually .....high marks

But for me the acid test is always, to quote Captain Kernow of this parisg,........... how does it run?

Pick ups did not need adjustment but the front Pony back to backs did. The driving wheels were very diryt and needed a thorough clean with IPA.

Both locos then performed satisfactorily running in on the rolling road, although I had a suspicion that they needed a bit more power to start than is normally the case .

To test on the layout I had to remove the body and plug in a temporary decoder

1471299815_2BodyOff.jpg.c1b96ad6a3b3efef7f9a311a5df4151d.jpg

There were two reported running issues.  Leading pony wheels derailing on turn outs and secondly, stalling at low/medium speeds ......see Sam's review for an example of this.

I have never pretended that my track is perfect....there are a couple of turnouts, naturally in crucial positions, which cause issues for some locos.

Hence the worrying and trepidation. In the event this turned out to be unfounded. Both locos cruised through the suspect turnouts ..........and then promptly derailed on a turnout in constant use and previously without issue! Fortunately traveling bunker first was not a problem and I was not planning to turn the locos on the out and back routines.  So problem 1 solved without yet either using a longer pivot screw or filing down the pivot mount..............edited see below *

Now to problem 2..........inconsistent running

And inconsistent it is.........even with an indifferent TCS decoder both locos ran smoothly and powerfully and then in the lower mid ranges they would suddenly stall....sometimes they would recover after a momentary hesitation other times fingerpoken was required.

Other than the Oxford Dean Goods I cant recall a recent loco purchase that performed quite like this and for a while I seriously contemplated returning them.......but eventually I collected enough positives to continue.

* I get the sense that they are very sensitive to the slightest unevenness in the track. It seemed that the lack of verticak movement in the front pony may have contribuited to the stalling. I temporarily slackened off the pivot screw and there did appear to be some improvement

When they do run they are a delight......it did seed that the longer I ran them the less the incidence of stalls (possibly wishful thinking?)

They are relatively light.......weighing in at 234 gm. By comparison the Bachmann 56xx 0-6-2T is 304gm! Keith (Melmerby) has add about 70gm to his Prairie and has noted a significant improvement.

In my case the Zimo decoder will hard wired so I will be able to use the redundant decoder slot to add add weight as well

560996286_2.4kadee20.jpg.115b2eed86c49e0202f641e24eeba7d9.jpg

And there is lots of space in the bunker

954830918_3bodyinterior.jpg.41269a5ec7cef3ea9dc2a05abe4bc66b.jpg

for a Youchoos Supercap stay alive:

547448615_4Stayalive.jpg.c410e483a408bece7b9e2c932396fa81.jpg

Perhaps next week I will be able to show a video clip of the Prairie crawling over my Code 100 double slip (complete with insulfrogs).

I guess this is all pretty old news to many..... so my apologies for any repetition.....hopefully, my experiencess  will be of use to some

Regards from Vancouver

John

Edited by john dew
24/8/2022 Photos
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

The driving wheels were very dirty and needed a thorough clean with IPA.

I found the same.

And inconsistent it is.........even with an indifferent TCS decoder both locos ran smoothly and powerfully and then in the lower mid ranges they would suddenly stall....sometimes they would recover after a momentary hesitation other times fingerpoken was required.

In the end I put that down to the TCS decoder. After I fitted an ESU LokPilot 5 I had no further trouble.

I get the sense that they are very sensitive to the slightest unevenness in the track.

Definitely. I strongly recommend one of the front pony truck solutions mentioned previously.

In my case the Zimo decoder will hard wired so I will be able to use the redundant decoder slot to add add weight as well

Don't forget to remove the capacitor when you fit the permanent decoder too.

• Thanks 1