GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, john dew said:

I know they used the 2251 boiler but maybe that was because they wanted to eliminate the dome?

I notice that Locomotion refers to Sir James Milne, GWR General Manager ( not Chairman) "requesting" that the design be a modernised version of the 57xx class. I knew Hawksworth was responsible for the design. I think I was mistaken in assuming that the original request was directed to Collett. I had forgotten he retired in 1941. Thank you for commenting, I will amend my original post

The most accurate version is probably that wtritten by M KennethCook in his story of his time at swindon.  He was the Works Manager at Swindon at the time and notes that prior to submitting teh Building Programme to paddingtom Hawksworth had already been keen on the idea of having an enegine witha drumhead smokebox although Cook was against it for several reasons.  The Buildfing Programme was submittedwitha diagram of each class listed in the programme and sir James Milne (himself a past Swindon pupil in the loco works) saw the diagram and 'he said words to the effect that in this year of grace you cannot build a locomotive with a steam s dome'.

Cook expressed the opinion that Hawksworth didn't argue with Milne because he was in any event keen to go for a drumhead smokebox.  the result was the 94XX using the standard No.10 boiler.  and of course, as Cook relates, using that boiler had a number of undesirable consequences including one not related elsewhere (I think) f the greater difficulty in constructinga. taper boiler compared with eth imple Dean Goods type parallel boiler.

The wheel diameter, wheel spacing, cylinder size and basic engine part was exactly the same as the 57XX although overall the frames were longer because of the size of the boiler - in fact the front end overhang from the leading axle to the buffer faces was nearly a foot greater than that of the 2251 0-6-0  let alone being nearly 3 ft greater than that of the 57XX.   Apart from the over wide (and much disliked by Enginemen) cab which was a result of using the No.10 boiler the engine came out significantly heavier than the 57Xx which tended to restrict where it could be used.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The most accurate version is probably that wtritten by M KennethCook in his story of his time at swindon.  He was the Works Manager at Swindon at the time and notes that prior to submitting teh Building Programme to paddingtom Hawksworth had already been keen on the idea of having an enegine witha drumhead smokebox although Cook was against it for several reasons.  The Buildfing Programme was submittedwitha diagram of each class listed in the programme and sir James Milne (himself a past Swindon pupil in the loco works) saw the diagram and 'he said words to the effect that in this year of grace you cannot build a locomotive with a steam s dome'.

Cook expressed the opinion that Hawksworth didn't argue with Milne because he was in any event keen to go for a drumhead smokebox.  the result was the 94XX using the standard No.10 boiler.  and of course, as Cook relates, using that boiler had a number of undesirable consequences including one not related elsewhere (I think) f the greater difficulty in constructinga. taper boiler compared with eth imple Dean Goods type parallel boiler.

The wheel diameter, wheel spacing, cylinder size and basic engine part was exactly the same as the 57XX although overall the frames were longer because of the size of the boiler - in fact the front end overhang from the leading axle to the buffer faces was nearly a foot greater than that of the 2251 0-6-0  let alone being nearly 3 ft greater than that of the 57XX.   Apart from the over wide (and much disliked by Enginemen) cab which was a result of using the No.10 boiler the engine came out significantly heavier than the 57Xx which tended to restrict where it could be used.

I have GA and other drawings for both the 2251 & 94xx classes obtained with a view of building either/both in 7 1/4" gauge, which I still hope to do. I can thus assure people that in all essential areas, aside from the pretty bits we modellers focus on, the 2 classes are practically identical.

• RMweb Premium

Love the treatment on the 94XX  John.  

Rule 1 applies.......extremely hard to stretch Rule 1 for a 97XX...........

Glad to hear that it has haulage capacity too - the real ones did.  

• Thanks 1

• john dew changed the title to GRANBY JUNCTION blending a Fleischman turntable into the background
  • RMweb Gold

Back to the Storage yard turntable.

As a reminder, here it is just after installation

220547564_1Open.jpg.d25a83b55de567201a46fba67c18383d.jpg

And close of play last night........... I just need to build an extension to the Scalescene retaining wall at the right and its all done:

447249629_2Overhead.jpg.95398f19e865c86330c6740e2744c38d.jpg

I realise it doesnt resemble a GWR table....or, I imagine, even an LMS one! I had thought, for a nano second, of cutting off the side platforms and replacing the side fencing with girders. After all the trauma with this table that would have been a bridge too far.

A coat of black paint and some weathering can make it a little more acceptable:

1623840373_3Overhead.jpg.6e5931ea60fed1519b7dd7856aa93c53.jpg

Nevertheless I am rather envious of @Neal Ball and his splendid new Turntable which does look exactly how a GWR table should look. Unfortunately my turntables have to be fully supported by RR&Co. Furthermore I am committed to Fleischman Turncontrol units

1861088867_60Turncontrolold.jpg.25c1ab716bc796d0316bfc8c2eaa1e18.jpg

856849476_70TTmoved.jpg.dd5787a6d3ce06ddb8dffdd6daa78e5f.jpg

So I have to sacrifice appearance and rather noisy movement in return for ultra reliable indexing and efficient automated performance.

Back to the scenery ....the coal stage and water crane from the previous set up have been re-installed

831776515_5.6Coalandwater.jpg.214d5f2ee5f237fec139b2a485993a1c.jpg

Both are venerable Mikes models........The coaling crane must be 20 years old, it was a feature of Granby I

116481742_6Hutlongshot.jpg.c47f2c474e3afec1f3e5ea5b66c322bc.jpg

The mess hut first appeared a decade ago. It was built to hide one of the point motors that switched the original TT

Now somewhat modified it conceals a rats nest of wiring .....hence the platform

1728793678_6.5Overall.jpg.c9cb631534281c2da387a08cf55e2684.jpg

New stop blocks for all the storage roads and a load of detail added to the mess hut

2038150956_6.4hutcloseup.jpg.0dd02232c47e59219d9c3c88229c5300.jpg

These guys are from the new Modelu Shed Pack

304868737_6.7Closeup.jpg.8a192e37cdc9b4493cf944e0297ed4dd.jpg

To finish this is how the scene might have looked in 1948

1980018917_8BW.jpg.631b312a793844971cf66b7c263ca313.jpg

Regards from Vancouver

Edited by john dew
Photos 18/8/22
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

The turntable area looks great @john dew, I particularly like the mess hut and associated crew loitering!

Compared to how it arrived the addition of black paint looks very good on the turntable. To be honest though, although there were standard GWR tables, there were also plenty that were not standard, clearly Granby is one of those locations. That control gear does look pretty good though John.

I am also glad that the first photo (Work in progress), looks the same as my tracks around the table at Henley on Thames - where its still a complete mess!

It has recently come to light at Henley that two of the roads off the table, had a pit and the area between was covered in a brick flooring, quite why I still don't know. It just seems too far from the main shed.

Your use of the mess hut though, gives it some context, so I will look again at that scenario. Thanks as ever for the inspiration @john dew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Neal. You are right, Granby is non prototypical in so many ways I really shouldnt fret about a TT. Particularly when I have lived happily with its counterpart on the otherside of the gangway for the past 5 years. The Turn control unit is remarkably effective and perfect for my operations.

I have to confess I am not the tidiest workman. Next job is to  tidy what is supposed to be my office area and is currently covered with jars of Woodland Scenic's products!

I can relate to your dilemma about inspection pits. I had them on the turn table storage roads of my previous layout. They were a bit of a pain to install and certainly limited adjusting the track connection to the TT. When finished they looked great but were rarely seen because locos were mostly standing over them. I didnt bother with Granby III although I did contemplate indicating their presence with a combination of metal and timber covers..........this might work for you.

Glad you liked the cameo. The Modelu figures from the shed pack are perfect for this sort of thing.

Best wishes

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/09/2021 at 16:39, Neal Ball said:

The turntable area looks great @john dew, I particularly like the mess hut and associated crew loitering!

Compared to how it arrived the addition of black paint looks very good on the turntable. To be honest though, although there were standard GWR tables, there were also plenty that were not standard, clearly Granby is one of those locations. That control gear does look pretty good though John.

I am also glad that the first photo (Work in progress), looks the same as my tracks around the table at Henley on Thames - where its still a complete mess!

It has recently come to light at Henley that two of the roads off the table, had a pit and the area between was covered in a brick flooring, quite why I still don't know. It just seems too far from the main shed.

Your use of the mess hut though, gives it some context, so I will look again at that scenario. Thanks as ever for the inspiration @john dew

I forgot to come back on that point in your thread but it is possibly also relevant here so I will endeavour to resolve things.   The shed was for the branch engine stabling overnight and of course it might need to visit the shed between trips should it need any attention - if a gauge glass had gone the Driver would need to replace his sare, some packing might be needed or a cork or whatever - all the usual little everyday running things.  

The stabling roads off the table were clearly associated with the major expansion and were obviously intended for visiting engines on busy days (effectively regatta week but also possibly summer excursions).  Those sort of workings plus (back then) the occasional regular London - Henley & return trains were clearly the reason for the turntable and obviously visiting engines waiting for their return working had to be stabled somewhere and that side of the turntable was really the only place where long enough stabling roads could be installed with the minimum amount of swinging the table to line it up with the only access line.     The brick surface was undoubtedly meant to help work around stabled engines and - in a former coal yard in particular - minimise the risk of dust getting into oil when oiling the motion etc - the fact that it survived so well is no doubt a result of it largely falling into disuse in postwar (WWII) years if not earlier.  At Ranelagh Bridge s loco servicing point outsude Paddington teh surfacewas also originally brick but it was replaced by concrete as it fell into disrepair and teh site was adapted for diesels.

The site on that side was vey much constrained by a stream (long since mostly built over - it looks like a railway line on the map extract shown below but that is actually the stream.   The site of the turntable was originally a coal yard with a single siding - hence the coal merchants office on the Station Road boundary (which also constrained railway use of the site when the turntable was built).

Apologies to John for trampling over his thread (but not tehhcomment about brick surfacing perhaps?).

129962303_Yardandadjacentstream.jpg.d9f85d7282a8543d54cd88fdab4ded3a.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I forgot to come back on that point in your thread but it is possibly also relevant here so I will endeavour to resolve things.   The shed was for the branch engine stabling overnight and of course it might need to visit the shed between trips should it need any attention - if a gauge glass had gone the Driver would need to replace his sare, some packing might be needed or a cork or whatever - all the usual little everyday running things.  

The stabling roads off the table were clearly associated with the major expansion and were obviously intended for visiting engines on busy days (effectively regatta week but also possibly summer excursions).  Those sort of workings plus (back then) the occasional regular London - Henley & return trains were clearly the reason for the turntable and obviously visiting engines waiting for their return working had to be stabled somewhere and that side of the turntable was really the only place where long enough stabling roads could be installed with the minimum amount of swinging the table to line it up with the only access line.     The brick surface was undoubtedly meant to help work around stabled engines and - in a former coal yard in particular - minimise the risk of dust getting into oil when oiling the motion etc - the fact that it survived so well is no doubt a result of it largely falling into disuse in postwar (WWII) years if not earlier.  At Ranelagh Bridge s loco servicing point outsude Paddington teh surfacewas also originally brick but it was replaced by concrete as it fell into disrepair and teh site was adapted for diesels.

The site on that side was vey much constrained by a stream (long since mostly built over - it looks like a railway line on the map extract shown below but that is actually the stream.   The site of the turntable was originally a coal yard with a single siding - hence the coal merchants office on the Station Road boundary (which also constrained railway use of the site when the turntable was built).

Apologies to John for trampling over his thread (but not tehhcomment about brick surfacing perhaps?).

129962303_Yardandadjacentstream.jpg.d9f85d7282a8543d54cd88fdab4ded3a.jpg

Thanks for that Mike, makes perfect sense.

I don’t ever recall seeing that map before with the back siding. Certainly not seen any photos of it. 

Thanks, Neal.

• john dew changed the title to GRANBY JUNCTION Collet Goods crossing the canal
  • RMweb Gold

This weeks project was to extend the Scalescene wall behind the Storage yard Turntable:

1375883950_0.5Coallongshot.jpg.56232cb4d814cbe6ff053f1ac0430f72.jpg

I have made a few of these in the past so progress was relatively fast:

704187360_2Wall.jpg.3b8fecc5fe99d9a2eb8b880dc0ac9a8a.jpg
Typical Scalescene kit.....lots of laminating and you finish up with with an attractive and very robust wall. Its also very adaptable so, as here, it can be built to fit a specific length

There was a certain amount of fiddling at the base to accommodate the edge of the turntable. Now it just needs weathering and bedding in.

The final job is to build an extremly low relief Warehouse to hide the remaining exposed strip of wall. I think that I will make it similar in design to its neighbour but not as high.........partly to save time and effort but also because I think a height difference will be more interesting. Apart from that I still want to have a glimpse of the old Townscene back papers.

I also found time to run some trains.

Here is Collett Goods 3217, with the Branch Coal train, crossing the Shropshire Union Canal at Richard's Wharf:

2.4.jpg.6e765a1537194e9e1003809c33305491.jpg

3.1.jpg.45369190b11835d32081b5a054afdf87.jpg

1373843714_3.4Colletfrominside.jpg.798133e3e5ea44c6f999ffbaeaabec97.jpg

3.5.jpg.e445b5d14cd563a2a6f87e292db2734c.jpg

3.6.jpg.b5ce3714174b3b56ed2adad246f2b2f9.jpg

3.7.jpg.abaab8c5ede26f7800f44e51a57fefaf.jpg

1930822523_3.9Brake.jpg.4bbccc76fc7adb54cf7c3e5a9943afa3.jpg

You may be wondering about the motionless Austin Threeway as the train rumbles by? There is actually a short line up of vehicles at the Lower Wharf Locks where Canal Street narrows to a single lane

I thought that I might take some more shots of the canal next week. However, first I need to do a bit of road sweeping and canal dusting!

851284037_41BW.jpg.61a71873b236d8f86ba3f7104b528761.jpg

Regards from Vancouver

Edited by john dew
re position photo. Replace photos 15/8
  • Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

• john dew changed the title to GRANBY JUNCTION
  • RMweb Gold

Back to the storage turntable where the sidings are now fully operational.

To complete the scene the rear wall still needs a low relief warehouse

1.jpg.286fe78d489af6fadb5c06a13920411f.jpg

Veering for a moment off topic. The train the Down line is something of a rarity on Granby.....a short train of Horseboxes on their way to Chester Races.

The next shot shows the Warehouse strip in place and everything weathered. Separately cut ledges and a parapet add a sense of depth even though there is very little room.

1539342770_2Whouse.jpg.dcde42f46eea81c7d2ccbc5899454d6e.jpg

Finally with everything finished the Wright's Factory can be put back in position to conceal the light switch

1846328875_3.2Wrights.jpg.f5e3bda3bf61b974c867679e0a02c97e.jpg

The autotrain can resume its journeys to and from Canal Street Halt:

635289279_4.25Auto.jpg.861f9ee539b2d58cd31ab7ad1475e1fa.jpg

1372305271_4.2Autoathalt.jpg.b96d6c2dacc9110fc6ab2517a0dce2db.jpg

760117936_4.39autobridge.jpg.98f439cd9f70120a40d37028674fdbeb.jpg

To finish a couple of shots from the Autotrain looking down at the Canal:

900526048_6CanalLineup.jpg.58a5ed5b26b23e8488a5c01f9a952e9b.jpg

122935731_7Pub.jpg.f56708b22b8b53ba01723f3b3e0efe05.jpg

The next project is on the other side of the room

608256348_14Right.jpg.3d47a8556f7ecd613302d5ce7a0ad93f.jpg

In the left hand corner, just above the Star and Dragon, you can just see the Roof and Upper Floor of the Canal Warehouse

1945282331_16Warehouse.jpg.389cc1a7e5e53f6418b8a3a58183edbe.jpg

There are more people to be painted for the hotel frontage along with a scenic retaining wall but the big design challenge is to integrate the warehouse with the platform area at the side and rear of the hotel:

472410540_17warehouse.jpg.23ab8a3d0a7d4b5cb3cfcb6a20746916.jpg

I am afraid the warehouse has been like this for almost a decade. Its amazing what you can get away with- courtesy of the Affinity cropping tool!

But now it is decision time. Somehow I have to close off the rear and incorporate it into the narrow triangular platform area. I have some ideas but need to test them out with mock ups.

Apart from these projects I hope to fully utilize the storage turntable with a series of commuter routines ........it should be a busy fall.

Regards from Vancouver

Edited by john dew
17/8 Photos
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Hi John,

Great pictures as ever. Must be years now since we began sharing layout progress. Granby Junction has developed superbly.

Something you might find interesting is that I've just received a J27 ordered over 2yrs ago and made by Oxford Rail. I bought one already equipped with the DCC chip and Sound. It has an unusual but very useful function, F15. It performs the "Kadee Shuffle". So with the coupling over the magnet, a press of F15, and the loco creeps backward a little, pauses, then steps forward complete with a chuff.

I hope we see this replicated in other chips in the future.

Regards

Geoff 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Geoff

Good to hear from you. Glad you like the way Granby has developed…..I guess its now a mature layout although there still a few square inches of real estate to be filled!

Are you still building Mangarh or do you have a new venture?

I think Zimo and possibly Lenz chips have some form of kadee shuffle option. I am still a RR&Co enthusiast and the software now has a “limited distance” train operation …..in combination with Stay Alives this now makes coupling and uncoupling moves barely noticeable and super reliable

Best wishes

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not much modelling done since my last post . I got a bit distracted last week. Apart from an election that nobody wanted, our eldest daughter finally remarried after three previous attempts had been thwarted by Covid. She and her partner chose to be married on the beach in West Vancouver. Bearing in mind Vancouver's Fall weather pattern this was, as Sir Humphrey might say, a bold (or despairate?) decision.

The week before the wedding it rained, non stop. Similar story this week. Fortunately, for the week of the wedding, the weather was glorious. Spectacular setting, a simple but moving ceremony followed by a great party.

Alls well that ends well........hardly surprising I missed my weekly posting deadline.

Here is the extent of last weeks modelling

472410540_17warehouse.jpg.23ab8a3d0a7d4b5cb3cfcb6a20746916.jpg

1208492490_2Whousenewwall.jpg.fa67d55be4f9ae3164229d33e6fce626.jpg

Not sure why I waited 10 years to do this. Mind you, I still have to create an extension that will link warehouse and platform......that could take a while.

One other reason for my slow progress is my resolve to only model in the morning and devote the afternoons to developing automated routines for the timetable

Here is part of a routine I am currently working on:

1043158747_3.1Parcels.jpg.059ba0f5f0a0c3a4bd7a8f8ae5d6f298.jpg

A Down Parcels train to Birkenhead leaving the Storage Yard

4.3.jpg.5d7a3c4c6a6a6129dcca63438df1e93c.jpg

A work stained Hardwick Grange hauling seven assorted NPCS vans towards Granby Viaduct

The routine calls for two loaded vans to be exchanged with two empties from the King St Parcels Depot at Granby:

2033566224_4.4KingSt.jpg.d10ebbc840163e2fe0df9c9ac36cc3d9.jpg

The vans in the dispatch siding have to be shunted across the main lines prior to the arrival of the Parcels train

191112549_4.5Coupling.jpg.6194112c6c18fd5feb00c4a8d5afc023.jpg

The Station Pilot (9407 on loan from Oxley) couples with the Vans

178917_4.6.1Coupled.jpg.3cdf17036c507dba9d8415328c86155b.jpg

1339394152_4.8Coupled.jpg.e8fe4f8d414919a628bb131c977b2819.jpg

Draws them back into Bay 1 and then propels the Vans out of the bay area to the Up Main

4.9.jpg.b9a2fc12bb815424af020c89e0cc7ee1.jpg

There is a slight continuity problem here......the sharp eyed will see that the Siphon G that was drawn into Bay 1 emerged miraculously without corridor connections as a Siphon H with a tail lamp........I did mention I was testing the routines........the Siphon G failed being consistently propelled over the throat double slips!

Having cleared the throat points the Pilot reverses and pulls the vans across the Down Main and into Platform 6:

1822616330_5xmainline.jpg.691e48fe26b87cc5e7c853420471a2d7.jpg

949601747_7P6.jpg.5ccb2cabc99e2e86cc40976a595d99c2.jpg

Where it will await the arrival of the Parcels Train..............to be continued

Edited by john dew
17/8 Photos
  • Like 18

• john dew changed the title to GRANBY JUNCTION - Preparing for the arrival of the Down Parcels
  • RMweb Premium

Yes after close examination of the photos, I noticed the long delayed posting of the Camp coffee ad ( and of course the striking seat back). That ad do you remember evolved over the years? In your one the servant stands to one while the officer is seated, enjoying his cup.  Today they sit side by side!

Very much admire your modelling and enjoy seeing your posts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Edward

Sorry for the belated reply.......my original response must have died somewhere in space!

Thank you for your kind comments. I am glad you enjoy my scribbles. Not sure how the chair got there its normally out of shot ......although I think it makes a repeat appearance this week.

I do have a Camp Coffee advert, elsewhere on the layout, that features the traditional Sahib and Servant. However the figure on the recent advert is actually a buxom blonde! Looks as though she has just stepped out of a Tide or Omo ad.

Best wishes

Edited by john dew
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

This is the second part of the routine I am developing for the Down Parcels. Last week covered the Pilot shunting outbound vans in readiness for the imminent arrival of the Parcels Train.

I have modified the routine so that there will now be a loco exchange at the head of the train while the Pilot replaces a LMS Brake with a Siphon H at the rear of the train

Here is the train headed by 6818 Hardwick Grange approaching Granby Platform 5. Under the roof you can just see the Pilot waiting at the exit from Platform 6

252902903_1.4.1WhouseBVan.jpg.1dd5597835858ee6c2e98b90fdb4633a.jpg

On the right you can see there has been a little more progress with the Warehouse extension......more on this in a separate post.

Over the years, GWR modellers have been blessed with models of just about every loco of any significance along with a reasonable selection of coaching stock ......but not a single Passenger Brake Van! The Hawkesworth vans used on this train were certainly not around in 1948. The GW crests are a Granby addition...but needs must.

Having arrived, Hardwick Grange immediately uncouples

130893324_36818arrival.jpg.4f86f823a849d0a225da772bb1b98663.jpg

Pulls forward and reverse to the Shed entry road

445894275_46818toshed.jpg.83f7e82aa975cf68418632477b0ec9fd.jpg

In real life, the relief loco 6877 Llanfair Grange would then immediately move off the loop and couple with the train. As you are about to see to detach and add vans at the rear the pilot has to shunt the entire train to position it over the uncoupler.......so the relief will couple at the end of the sequence

My apologies for the quality of the next sequence of shots. To tell the tale I had to stand on a foot stool and hand shoot using flash through the overall roof.......Shooting the video will be challenging!

Back to the routine:

The moment Hardwick Grange stopped in Platform 5 the Pilot reverses from Platform 6 light engine, the outbound van remaining in P6

394110335_4.59708.jpg.fa1f29a373c48bf74d4193724e5f3d06.jpg

The Pilot clears the entry points and advances into P5

Where it couples with the LMS van :

368027410_69708LMS.jpg.af59b43a873d16c1fe54766b0188f287.jpg

Then uncouples the van from the train and reverses back to clear the entry points

109237426_79708LMS2.jpg.bed543709c672c817a06abe29fecee47.jpg

and thence into Platform 6

1043859518_8Pilot1toP6.jpg.840dc049bfefa5ea7ed69fa4bb008db6.jpg

1007243143_9Pilot1inP6.jpg.3331da936ef80738fe96c5ee63c66563.jpg

Where it couples with the siphon and reverses back again

1699272450_10Pilot2fromP6.jpg.b5e9bd49cef345ba17021705146858e4.jpg

Clears the points and re enters P 5 where it couples the siphon to the rear of the train

275765251_11Pilot2CouplesP5.jpg.31b5f79cb5617826fac9cbb5fa0c0703.jpg

The pilot then has to push the entire train forward a van length so that it and the LMS van can be uncoupled from the train:

1983568271_12Pilotuncouples.jpg.80796ffeffe142b3659f280944ddc0fd.jpg

Executing this movement automatically with varying van lengths will be  quite challenging. Hopefully I can work through the logic without having to revert to a fixed van length.

Once the pilot and van are clear Llanfair Grange can move from the loop

110278600_156877advancestocouple.jpg.15dd0fc4b463e20a0cc8ba5b38db536d.jpg

Couple with the train

590536808_166877Couples.jpg.ac10adda1c2ac0735629733abca2187f.jpg

and head off to Birkenhead

1222031267_20Traindeparts.jpg.d50b95d0a4734c5f6b2f7225328d399d.jpg

Once clear, the pilot propels the LMS van across the main line to be unloaded at King St Parcels Depot

1216586452_22bW.jpg.90a082d55fd985b0a9ed72a78cf1dd87.jpg

Which is where we came in!

My apologies for such a lengthy post.......I tried to be ruthless with editing but it was quite difficult without making the sequence even more incoherent.

Next week something quite different......and much shorter.

Edited by john dew
17/8 Photos
  • Like 16
  • Round of applause 3

• john dew changed the title to GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting the Down Parcels
  • RMweb Premium

That’s a lovely sequence of photos John. 

As well as the train being reformed I’ve had a good nosey at the platforms….. we’ve caught Granby on a very busy day.

I can imagine the station announcer, sound echoing across the platforms, general chatter, waiting for the next train.

Excellent, thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

After two weeks of marshalling the Down Parcels I promised something new for this week.

717952351_1front.jpg.56816621cc05960d612727bf99bacd56.jpg

Well this is new in every sense. My recently delivered AEC Diesel Railcar from Heljab:

1008175167_3intro29.jpg.afb2678579ec118335bac67b55738762.jpg

Like most new arrivals on Granby this is hardly breaking news as the model was released in August. In this case though I had also hummed and haad before actually ordering as I already had a similar model.

I bought the Lima version in Beatties Sheffield in the late 90. It was an appalling runner with enormous pizza cutter wheels. With help from Nigel (BCDR) I re wheeled it and with added contacts and a Lenz Gold Chip and Stay Alive I was able to turn it into a reasonably reliable runner and became quite attached to it. Sadly it has recently become rather iffy and reluctant to run everywhere I want, so I eventually succumbed to temptation.

This comparison shot rather flatters my old Lima friend but it still appears somewhat clunky:

909962090_2Lima.jpg.5e146e41953c30aa71f4bd9b0be4c095.jpg

The Heljan version has some superb detailing with separate hand rails, pre-fitted pipework, sprung buffers and amazing lighting

1612069512_4detail.jpg.322057329f046b2004bb38f0eea49694.jpg

Unfortunately one of the buffers arrived loose and the spring is nowhere to be found. Not the end of the world and certainly not worth sending back to Liverpool from Vancouver. Ben Jones, the Heljan Rep, has been very helpful and hopes to be able to get a replacement spring sent to me.

On the the plus side the 5 pole motor is centrally (and unobtrusively) mounted beneath the floor and drives both sets of bogies. With a Lokpilot5 chip the running performance is exceptionally smooth and reliable

The chip is installed by removing the roof....very simple just 4 easily accessible screws:

396762982_6Interior.jpg.38b000677beb7f07ddd3c1989ac2d3d3.jpg

I guess the next job is to get some seated passengers. Nice cab detail at both ends:

1258192910_6.5Cabdetail.jpg.fcba9d0c2267106db19a6e61f5cd2899.jpg

I mentioned that the lighting was amazing:

1070215504_7Lights.jpg.152910a9da00b3dfd43e22fc56e59b34.jpg

There are nine separately switched lighting functions

Lower End Light    Front and Back                           Cab Light   Front and Back
Top Light               Front and Back                            Passenger Interior
Red Light              Front and Back

For DC users there is a bank of 9 switches mounted on the underside. The basic (non sound) ESU Lokpilot 5 decoder is preprogrammed to manage the 9 functions.......hence my switch from Zimo for this model.

I am a bit uncertain about how the various light combinations were used in practice and how to best to replicate that in practice.

On Granby the railcar will be diagrammed as an Ordinary Passenger on the lower level branch.....entering and exiting from a tunnel. On the prototype this would necessitate carrying an illuminated rear lamp.........this was required because the fitted red light was considered too dim.

I dont believe lamps were fitted at the front so I am assuming that either the two lower lights were illuminated for an Express or the single top light for an Ordinary Passenger?

On the model there are Lamp Irons on the buffer beam so I could fit a rear lamp. However its not practical to change over after every run. 

With either the function buttons or automatically with Train Controller I can switch the front and rear lights on and off as the Railcar shuttles back and forth between the tunnels

627454163_8RearLight.jpg.a8e925716c9357767beea9e8a9d5660f.jpg

The red light is quite bright on the model:

1996087637_9rearlight.jpg.dfdb0b64e650152c975ef3cf66662a11.jpg

I am already indulging in Rule 1.........I am not aware that these rail cars operated in the Chester area........so perhaps another application of Rule 1 will not do any harm. After all Granby Division, being so far from Swindon, does have reputation for being a bit different!

Regards from Vancouver

Edited by john dew
Photos 17/8
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• john dew changed the title to GRANBY JUNCTION - Shining a light on the Heljan Railcar
  • RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, john dew said:

After two weeks of marshalling the Down Parcels I promised something new for this week.

Well this is new in every sense. My recently delivered AEC Diesel Railcar from Heljab:

496206072_1front.jpg.8eb5f8fa8635b98fd1e0387d01efd66a.jpg

Like most new arrivals on Granby this is hardly breaking news as the model was released in August. In this case though I had also hummed and haad before actually ordering as I already had a similar model.

I bought the Lima version in Beatties Sheffield in the late 90. It was an appalling runner with enormous pizza cutter wheels. With help from Nigel (BCDR) I re wheeled it and with added contacts and a Lenz Gold Chip and Stay Alive I was able to turn it into a reasonably reliable runner and became quite attached to it. Sadly it has recently become rather iffy and reluctant to run everywhere I want, so I eventually succumbed to temptation.

This comparison shot rather flatters my old Lima friend but it still appears somewhat clunky:

299401638_2Lima.jpg.ac317795c200b73ec08153e3acd0a516.jpg

The Heljan version has some superb detailing with separate hand rails, pre-fitted pipework, sprung buffers and amazing lighting

86684241_3intro29.jpg.fb29ce49afae8012831801ecb5f954e8.jpg

2022208248_4detail.jpg.00a864e16b04deab9dfd782af955e2b5.jpg

Unfortunately one of the buffers arrived loose and the spring is nowhere to be found. Not the end of the world and certainly not worth sending back to Liverpool from Vancouver. Ben Jones, the Heljan Rep, has been very helpful and hopes to be able to get a replacement spring sent to me.

On the the plus side the 5 pole motor is centrally (and unobtrusively) mounted beneath the floor and drives both sets of bogies. With a Lokpilot5 chip the running performance is exceptionally smooth and reliable

The chip is installed by removing the roof....very simple just 4 easily accessible screws:

713805897_6Interior.jpg.cb533d5a0beccb51c0c4ba14e91e832c.jpg

I guess the next job is to get some seated passengers. Nice cab detail at both ends:

199734357_6.5Cabdetail.jpg.96c2365ebb9c8326ddde13b0ffe5a7ef.jpg

I mentioned that the lighting was amazing:

1165566439_7Lights.jpg.12d0499168459cae3bf64a0c9b712eba.jpg

There are nine separately switched lighting functions

Lower End Light    Front and Back                           Cab Light   Front and Back
Top Light               Front and Back                            Passenger Interior
Red Light              Front and Back

For DC users there is a bank of 9 switches mounted on the underside. The basic (non sound) ESU Lokpilot 5 decoder is preprogrammed to manage the 9 functions.......hence my switch from Zimo for this model.

I am a bit uncertain about how the various light combinations were used in practice and how to best to replicate that in practice.

On Granby the railcar will be diagrammed as an Ordinary Passenger on the lower level branch.....entering and exiting from a tunnel. On the prototype this would necessitate carrying an illuminated rear lamp.........this was required because the fitted red light was considered too dim.

I dont believe lamps were fitted at the front so I am assuming that either the two lower lights were illuminated for an Express or the single top light for an Ordinary Passenger?

On the model there are Lamp Irons on the buffer beam so I could fit a rear lamp. However its not practical to change over after every run. 

With either the function buttons or automatically with Train Controller I can switch the front and rear lights on and off as the Railcar shuttles back and forth between the tunnels

The red light is quite bright on the model:

1397552534_9rearlight.jpg.c9a6aa942bbefc9d5c747e3957180f6b.jpg

I am already indulging in Rule 1.........I am not aware that these rail cars operated in the Chester area........so perhaps another application of Rule 1 will not do any harm. After all Granby Division, being so far from Swindon, does have reputation for being a bit different!

Regards from Vancouver

Interesting summary John thank you.

As well as passengers and crew, you might fancy picking out some of the detail in the cab. It's surprising how much of a difference to makes with a silver handbrake wheel and various levers etc in brown. I also painted the internal panels cream above the seating level.

It will be great to see it running through Granby soon.

Have a good weekend, Regards, Neal.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Interesting summary John thank you.

As well as passengers and crew, you might fancy picking out some of the detail in the cab. It's surprising how much of a difference to makes with a silver handbrake wheel and various levers etc in brown. I also painted the internal panels cream above the seating level.

It will be great to see it running through Granby soon.

Have a good weekend, Regards, Neal.

Thanks Neal

I was going to do some of the cab detail and buffers but I hadnt thought of the bulkheads …….thats a great idea …thank you!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

John,

I have posted elsewhere (in the Heljan thread) the situation regarding lamps on the GWR diesel railcars.  The use of the electric rear light was banned fairly early on (March 1937) so well before the 'razor edge' versions appeared.  Therefore the later cars always carried an ordinary oil tail lamp which was lit only when such lamps were generally required to be lit (i.e during darkness,  fog or falling snow, or when passing through - listed in the Appendix - tunnels in excess of a certain length).  Similarly the head lights were only required to be illuminated after dark etc.

Thus if you are running a car in daylight and there are no tunnels involved the headlights would not be illuminated and the tail lamp would not be lit.   The headlights would show either Class A or Class B light(s) according to the Class of train being worked. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

John,

I have posted elsewhere (in the Heljan thread) the situation regarding lamps on the GWR diesel railcars.  The use of the electric rear light was banned fairly early on (March 1937) so well before the 'razor edge' versions appeared.  Therefore the later cars always carried an ordinary oil tail lamp which was lit only when such lamps were generally required to be lit (i.e during darkness,  fog or falling snow, or when passing through - listed in the Appendix - tunnels in excess of a certain length).  Similarly the head lights were only required to be illuminated after dark etc.

Thus if you are running a car in daylight and there are no tunnels involved the headlights would not be illuminated and the tail lamp would not be lit.   The headlights would show either Class A or Class B light(s) according to the Class of train being worked. 

Hi Mike

I try not to miss too many of your posts so I had read those on the Heljan thread. My comments were slightly tongue in cheek and intended to highlight one of the problems of matching prototype practice with operating a model

shuttle. In my case the railcar starts and finishes its automated schedule from a hidden semi enclosed storage siding. Lights would certainly be justified and are quite useful tracking progress in the hidden siding. Its impratical to hand switch a Modelu rear lamp after every run, so I was trying to convince myself it was ok to switch the working lights back and forth...........maybe a compromise might be to ensure I always have a correctly sited rear lamp whenever I take photos.

A question remains.  If the front lights were only illuminated at night,snow,fog etc how was the train class A or B determined in daylight? I suppose commonsense prevailed, I guess there were not too many railcars in use on any given route?

Best wishes

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, john dew said:

Hi Mike

I try not to miss too many of your posts so I had read those on the Heljan thread. My comments were slightly tongue in cheek and intended to highlight one of the problems of matching prototype practice with operating a model

shuttle. In my case the railcar starts and finishes its automated schedule from a hidden semi enclosed storage siding. Lights would certainly be justified and are quite useful tracking progress in the hidden siding. Its impratical to hand switch a Modelu rear lamp after every run, so I was trying to convince myself it was ok to switch the working lights back and forth...........maybe a compromise might be to ensure I always have a correctly sited rear lamp whenever I take photos.

A question remains.  If the front lights were only illuminated at night,snow,fog etc how was the train class A or B determined in daylight? I suppose commonsense prevailed, I guess there were not too many railcars in use on any given route?

Best wishes

They were signalled by different 'Is Line Clear' bell codes - which were altered in May 1950  (which of course leaves the interesting question of how an erroneous bell code could be corrected if the car was not displaying any  headlights ;) ).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This is a sort of interim post as I continue to slowly create a building to close off the open end of the canal side warehouse.

2068582069_1Warehouse.jpg.2ef2ea6be9e486347004ecce229f1833.jpg

Progress is slow In because its quite difficult and I get easily distracted by running trains and carrying out assorted maintenance

1895635482_2warehouse.jpg.725b097f0874d16e228c3af68fd7cf12.jpg

This has been unfinished for years. In fairness I couldnt really do much until the hotel was completed - and you know how long that took!

The warehouse started life as a Langley Models low relief kit on Granby II. When the canal was finished on the current layout it was converted to full relief by adding a roof and sides made from Slaters plastic sheets.

For this project, in many ways, I would have preferred to modify a Scalescene kit. I have mixed plastic and paper kits elsewhere on the layout but, in this instance, I wasnt convinced it would be a happy marriage. I decided to eke out my remaining stock of Slaters sheets mounted on card

139535053_4Whouse.jpg.afdeaf12bfeb057c85ce8c94ecec7322.jpg

Two main walls at right angles. Both fitted with loading doors for rail and road

1797595485_5Porch.jpg.69b074d0cd01381427ff8ba676504c8f.jpg

Added door handles and ex Ratio/Wills Canopies, salvaged from island platforms on Granby .

If I am honest one of the other reasons for delaying this project is the challenging nature the of site. The existing warehouse is aligned with the canal but the space to be built on is on the inside of the medium radius curves that approach the station. As you can see, its not possible to put a simple rectangular extension on top of the roof. 

Short wall added at right angles to the Yard side wall:

1651884419_7Officelongshot.jpg.1c90eeeefb1ad3a9811cf3e19716adec.jpg

Note sophisticated geometry used to calculate extension roof dimensions.

The track below leads to the hidden branch storage sidings. Once the warehouse extension is finished I will start building a tunnel mouth and retaining wall from Wills Random Stone sheets.

Asymmetrical roof cut to size and clad with Slaters brick sheets:

361130076_8officetunnel.jpg.90c3ec1ef2f5368b8ddde36cfe375539.jpg

The parapet walls are clad with Slaters Tiles painted to look like cut stone. This is not so much a design feature but to disguise my limited stocks of Slaters random stone. Blue brick strips from Wills building packs hide the join.

The raw wall corners are being covered with quoins cut from Slaters Paving stones

Fourth wall bridging the old warehouse roof:

1858142922_9trackview.jpg.9e813cb89f41af8caef4a33e42bcd7d7.jpg

Cutting this out was "interesting". Flashing from plastic strip will conceal the gap and more quoins for the vertical gap.

This weeks target is to cut and fix the final, fifth, wall and then add all the remaining trim. A touch of weathering powder should finish the project.

Here is something rather different to finish....taken in our local park last week:

1451381973_12fall.JPG.e2017de68fde1721c4b47db092560ac2.JPG

Not too many leaves left now I am afraid.

Over the week-end a cyclone passed through our area. We get plenty of rain and storms but a cyclone is very unusual for the West coast.  Winds of 100kmph, strongest ever, were recorded. Its eased off a bit now and happily no damage and no power cuts.

Regards from a still windy Vancouver

Edited by john dew
Photos 14/8
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2