Axleboxes

z1

Can anyone tell me who (if anyone) makes replacement cosmetic axleboxes, preferably in plastic, for use when scratchbuilding wagons?

I don't know of any plastic ones but, assuming you're talking 4mm scale, MJT produces a range of axlebox/spring castings in white metal (and also some separates) which are excellent. They are for use with etched W-irons of course which is the best way anyhow, especially for scratchbuilt stock. Adrian Swain of ABS models also produces (or produced – I don't know if they're still available) suitable castings many with integral W-irons. There may be others I've forgotten about but these two are the best.

MJT are available through Dart Castings, ABS possibly direct.

Slaters do some in 0 don't know whether there were any in the 4mm range. I have a load of cast ones somewhere from the EMGS ( bought around 1980) they may still stock them.

Don

Most axleboxes held by the EMGS are MJT ones but they do have a few of their own including a nice BR/LMS split box.

Wizard Models have a huge range of white metal castings from their various wagon kits. Some of them are separate axlebox and spring castings, others have the two together. 5&9 Models also can supply similar castings although they are primarily intended for LBSC wagons and coaches - but springs are pretty universal.

Archived