Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Cliches on layouts

Would that be 100 wagons loaded with real coal, or 100 empties on the way back to the mine?

Oh it's got to be a mismatched range of loaded and empty with some MCVs and brightly coloured private owners. Loco in BR livery and an LMS brake van with no tail lamp just for completeness... :senile:

JF

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Oh it's got to be a mismatched range of loaded and empty with some MCVs and brightly coloured private owners. Loco in BR livery and an LMS brake van with no tail lamp just for completeness... :senile:

JF

And on a 16x8 roundy-roundy layout.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Cliche of the future?:-

A Heljan LMS Garratt with "A Hundred Wagon Coal Train".

JF :locomotive:

No doubt someone will build a boxfile layout, just big enough to hold a Garrat and one wagon and claim "100 wagon trains in a boxfile"

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

No doubt someone will build a boxfile layout, just big enough to hold a Garrat and one wagon and claim "100 wagon trains in a boxfile"

Why not just big enough for three of the 100 wagons? Much cheaper. :boast:

Why not do it in one of the old Airfix 16t kit boxes....even smaller, just 1 wagon...

I am reminded of that phrase so beloved of kit reviewers: the box is large enough to store the completed model .

Well it is a cliche thread :boast:

I am reminded of that phrase so beloved of kit reviewers: the box is large enough to store the completed model .

That has to be one of the all time great quotations. Well at least in model railway terms.

Any body got an idea as to the origin?

It was certainly in use in the very early days of Wills kits.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

I saw a new set of models on the Langley web site. They were of postmen with one who had a dog attached to its leg. How long before this appears on exhhibition layouts up and down the country?

I saw a new set of models on the Langley web site. They were of postmen with one who had a dog attached to its leg. How long before this appears on exhhibition layouts up and down the country?

About as soon as I get round to buying one :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 9 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Resurrecting the old thread to save opening a new one and apologies for the poor quality of the screenshot, the item in question was in the distant background.

When I was editing a bit of video the other day. I heard the train approaching so started the camera and I found this in the lead-in which could be the replacement for the bus when your bridge is only a Bridleway - the Horse on the Bridge

Horse_bridge.JPG.467687f3e998cf0f8bd81d447fe2bffb.JPG

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 4

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive martin said:

Something i have noticed on a lot of modern layouts is Eddie Stobbart lorrys ! They seem to have taken over from the classic bus on a bridge.

Eddie Stobart lorry on a bridge...... (PIc by AY/BRM)

es.jpg.6af47b97838db02835b9e5fa5624a0c7.jpg

• Like 4

Perhaps a white van might be a cliche,thats a fantastic picture of a Stobbart lorry on a bridge that looks like a fantastic layout,my comment about Stobbart lorrys on layouts was very toungue in cheek,i must take a look at my own layout now for things that might be a cliche ,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Eddie Stobart lorry on a bridge...... (PIc by AY/BRM)

es.jpg.6af47b97838db02835b9e5fa5624a0c7.jpg

Now a historic picture. Eddie Stobarts got taken over by Culina Group recently. A redesigned trailer livery with 'Stobarts' on it is being rolled out, but the cabs will go, quite quickly.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/04/2012 at 08:13, Pennine MC said:

And so it should be.  Long gone now but I think it was K's that started using blister packs that left you searching for a box  to put it in during construction and for storage thereafter. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Clive martin said:

Perhaps a white van might be a cliche,thats a fantastic picture of a Stobbart lorry on a bridge that looks like a fantastic layout,my comment about Stobbart lorrys on layouts was very toungue in cheek,i must take a look at my own layout now for things that might be a cliche ,

On 14/08/2022 at 09:41, Clive martin said:

Something i have noticed on a lot of modern layouts is Eddie Stobbart lorrys ! They seem to have taken over from the classic bus on a bridge.

Continental layouts have a Norbert Dentresangle lorry on a bridge

Andy

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

I had my French H0m layout out  in the lounge for my local 009 Society  group on Saturday and there was a suggestion that I used the open space behind the canal wharf for a game of boules. Now that is what I call a cliché (though not actually an uncommon sight further south than where my layout is set somewhere in Michelin 64 , and often to be seen next to an old station that closed in the 1950s) or before) 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Clichés? Hmmm. Clichés exist, because they are, by & large, everyday items. Road vehicles do pass over or under railway lines. People will stop & talk. Dogs will piddle up the lamp-post; cats will get onto roofs, or stuck up a tree. You will see apples on a tree with small boys being chased off by landowners. (That was me, btw). 

Milkmen, bakers, and even 'ladies of the night' hanging their squeezy parts hanging out the windows; it's all been done, somewhere. The only situation to consider is your personal decorum level. Muggings, some poor person getting stabbed;  drug dealers; tipped over bins, with a fox in attendance; A kid has crashed , after popping a wheelie on a motorbike...

The list goes on and on.

• RMweb Gold

I consider clicjes to be good ideas that have been copied so often that they lose impact. Of course sometimes there is parallel thinking where a good idea will occur to another who is unaware that it is not new.  However  the best thing is to come up with your own ideas. If they becomes cliches you know it was a great idea. If someone says ;oh sos and so did that on his layout' just respond 'Great Minds'.

Don 

• Like 3