Problem installing new NCE Powercab - no power to track

MarkoD

I wonder if anyone can help a DCC beginner?

We purchased a new NCE Powercab system earlier in the year, but we just got round to installing it yesterday.

I am having problems getting power to the Powercab handset and the track. I connected the system as per the manual (hopefully) but the red LED does not come on and the handset screen remains off when connected in the left port ( with the LED below it).

Curiously, if I plug the handset into the right hand port on the panel it boots fine, although I understand this port is only for a slave controller and will not function without the main handset. At least it proves power is coming to the panel and that the handset itself seems to work.

Initially I connected the two power wires to an existing isolated siding on the baseboard. The connections were soldered to the track. When this did not work I reverted to using a very short isolated section of track and a Hornby track power connector which was tested previously with a DC supply to make sure it was working OK. However, this didn't work either. After reading some internet forums I also tried using different gauges of power cable but that didn't have any effect.

I've have attached a photo which should give some idea of the ( final) test setup Do you think the panel or connector is broken, or am I doing something wrong? I would normally go back to the dealer but unfortunately they are closed until next week.

Thanks for any advice.

Mark

. post-8472-0-97540200-1293638486_thumb.jpg

mmm I would say that the panel may be at fault,

Ive just tried this on mine and the hand set is the same as yours. so its nothing you have done wrong....

give digitrains a call as they are an NCE dealer and this could be a common fault which could be fixed over the phone.

The LED illuminates if you are getting power to the track. This power of course comes from the control handset.

A couple of thoughts .

What's your power supply?

You need 10-15 VDC 2 to 3 amps.

Is it at the correct polarity? It should be +ve centre

Are any connectors where the flat cable plugs in to the panel and control bent or look as if they do not make contact.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The power supply is the one provided with the system and is rated 13.5V. Not sure about polarity to be honest - how would I check this?

I checked the plugs, cables and connectors for any bent pins etc. but they all look fine.

Curious that the handset powers up OK when inserted in the slave socket, so am getting more convinced there is a problem with the panel, or at least the primary connector on it.

Found the receipt this afternoon so at least I can go back to the dealer after the holidays.

OK then!

Having just gone and done a few tests on my PowerCab setup, it would appear that your panel is faulty.

However there are a few things you can look at:

Can you reconfirm that the ends of the pins in the left hand socket are properly in their tracks (vertical grooves) at the back of the socket , and visually it matches the right hand socket?

Are the pins in the left hand socket clean? - no obvious crap, dribbles of dried diluted PVA, bits of ballast etc

One last clutch at a straw.... unplug the flat cable completely, and plug the end that was in the handset into the panel and vice versa.

Let us know how you get on.

-Rob

Thanks Rob. I did check the connectors, pins etc. and they all look perfect to the naked eye. I had also previously swapped around the cable ends but no joy that way either.

Is the normal behaviour for the Powercab handset to boot regardless of whether there is power to the track i.e. it boots but the red LED is off?

Dave - thanks. The handset won't boot at all in the primary connector ( but does in the slave) so sounds like the primary has failed somehow. Cables, plugs all seem fine.

I'll call the dealer after the New Year and see if they will send a new panel.

Many thanks for all the advice.

Mark.

Just a quick update on this in case others hit a similar problem.

I invested in a magnifying glass and it allowed me to look at the insides of the panel connectors in more detail. On the primary port, which was giving the problem, one of the copper wires was just slightly out of line with the others. I bent it forward with a pin and then tried again. This time the handset booted and the red light came on. Shortly afterwards I was able to program our first DCC loco.

So, a nice way to end 2010. Thanks to all who offered advice.

Archived