DJB O Gauge Standard Class 5 4-6-0

I've been offered a DJB Standard Class 5 from a friend who previously bought the loco ready built and painted. In a nut shell its not a bad paint job and well weathered.

Firstly I'm just wondering what peoples opinion of these kits are? The model looks good, although does anyone know of any flaws, is there anything which is screamingly incorrect about them?

Secondly, what do people whink about the task of taking the loco, stripping it down and repainting it? Ideally I would like to change the identity to to another loco, and would perhaps like it not so heavily weathered.

The only other thing I need to add is the selling price is about ??500, so for an O gauge loco on paper its not exactly expensive, but do you think that I will be paying in the long run with the repainting job?

Any advice appretiated!

Cheers,

Stephen

Hello Stephen,

I have a friend who built the DJB STD4, and vowed `never again`. He is well experienced and well thought of and I was surprised by his remarks.

I understand it was very time consuming to correct and many castings were replaced from an outside source.

As regards re-painting, first you need to know what type of paint was used to apply the relevant paint remover. Once established, its a question of patience and elbow grease.mellow.gif

Good luck, or sell it on.

Regards

Ian

Archived