2010 RMweb Layout Challenge - The Results

Andy Y

Thank you to everyone who has taken time to vote for the entrants, there have been over 700 votes cast for each of the entries in the respective categories which is a fantastic level of interest from readers and members. Therefore any plaudits gained from the results should be highly regarded as illustrating a high level of peer recognition.

Thank you to each of the entrants for taking the time and trouble to document each of the entries and interact with the membership in the process.

I'll look forward to seeing a number of these entries in the flesh in due course but ahead of that I'd like to add my personal thanks to the participants.

Anyway, enough of the opening speech.

Operational Interest Category

post-6867-086708100%201289686967_thumb.jpg

Well done to M Graff for his M - K & Eastern RR entry which took first spot by the most slender of margins. I had to look at the calculations to 3 decimal places to call the photofinish with a score of 3.965 to the runner up spot at 3.960 in eldavo's 'Waton'.

The top 6 in the category are shown below:

Challenge1.jpg

Visual Interest Category

sequence3_10Nov10.jpg

Well done to eldavo for taking the first place in the visual interest category with Waton with 72% of the votes being in the 4 or 5 mark. Superb work Dave, well done too to RBE with the runner-up spot for Outon Road.

Challenge2.jpg

Prototypical Interest Category

combine1_27Oct10.jpg

Eldavo strikes again in the prototypical interest category achieving a high degree of operational interest on a layout giving a nod to a real-life location in Water Orton. Congratulations to RBE for the runner-up spot in this category too with Outon Road.

Challenge3.jpg

Overall winner

Unsurprisingly with such broad appeal eldavo takes the overall prize with Waton, a superb credit to a 2mm offering which has caused many readers to question the scale. I shall be arranging for a trophy and presentation to Dave in recognition of his hard work, documentation of the project and entertainment.

Challenge4.jpg

665_31Jul10.jpg

Worthy congratulations to RBE and Will Vale for taking 2nd and 3rd spots overall.

An .xls file with a breakdown of the voting is available to any participants wishing to see the data in more detail, please drop me a PM if you'd like this.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I must say congratulations to all entries and especially to Dave for Waton.

Thanks to Andy for organising.

One thing is very clear - the results are very close and goes to show how good each of the entries have been modelled and presented.

Well done to all.

I wish to add my congratulations to everybody who made the effort to start something - because to me that was the whole point of the competition.

Of course the extra congratulations are due for those that finished (well finished enough to offer themselves for voting)

and to those with prizes or even just placings - an excellent display of modelling expertise. Well done.

Oh, what and when for 2011 ? ;)

• RMweb Gold

An excellent competition with a worthy winner.

Thanks to all competitiors, I really enjoyed reviewing and scoring your entries over the Christmas break.

Brilliant :D

Guest dilbert

The task of voting wasn't made easy at all due to the varied and excellent modelling projects that were submitted. Congrats to Eldavo, as the eventual winner, but congrats also to all the other entrants for being in the same frame as eldavo... dilbert

Guest 40-something

Congratulations to all!

I entered the compo with the grand vision of having a finished layout, after an initial burst of activity only sporadic work has taken place. Spent most of my time working on stock!

If there is a competition organised again for this year, then maybe I'll enter again!

Wow! That was real great fun! :)

To see that I got so good results in the 2010 Challenge is really warming in this cold weather.

Thanks for all who voted for both me and the other contestants and a big congratulation to the winner!!

Waton is a showstopper!

My M - K & Eastern RR is being more and more detailed by the week now, It´s really easy to access all places for detailing. I just don´t know why I haven´t made a shelf layout earlier....

• Like 1

Congratulations for those who took part and got a layout to a finished state in the timescale. I was very impressed with the overall winner, especially the level of detail in N but there were some cracking entries to vote on so well done to all for making this so interesting. Great idea Andy to run this in the first place.

Mark

It was very hard to have to make judgements. Congratulations to all whose involved who have, lets face it, submitted their work to probably the most expert audience imaginable, both in their own skills and their diversity of knowledge. Will any of them make the mags, I wonder.

Congratulations to Eldavo - Waton really does show N gauge to its absolute best, a very deserving winner. Every entry this year was to a very high quality, and it was really good to see so many people not only entering, but finishing! A great number of votes as well, I look forward to the 2011 competition!

David

• RMweb Gold

Waton was a great layout to follow during its construction. It looks super and if I might be so bold - shes got great curves :rolleyes: of course I mean the flow of the runnning lines across from left to right - all very convincing and pleasing to the eye B)

Well done to Eldavo! it was good fun entering the comp and I had fun building the layout. I hope everyone else had as much fun etc as I did as they are all great in their own ways. It would be really good to have an exhibition with all of the finalists involved.

Matt

Hearty congratulations to Dave (Waton) the winner and to all the runners up!

Ah, how I wish I had the gumption to have persevered to the end but I could never have made "Flixborough" get to the sort of completeness of any of the finalists!

I shall just have to gather yet more inspiration and keep on trying!

Thats what it's all about, isn't it?

Cheers,

John E.

A firm well done to Dave (Waton), the layout has I'm sure tempted a few to try 2mm scale. Of course all of the entries were excellent and a firm well done all 'round I think.

I'd also like to thank everyone who voted high for Outon Road. It's a great pleasure to bring something to the table that can hopefully inspire others. I intend to keep working on Outon to hopefully bring even more in the future.

Happy new year and thanks to all.

Cav

• RMweb Premium

Well done to all who entered this comp - it takes a certain brand of madness to produce a good layout in a small space - will we be seeing any of the entries at the member's day in July?

I for one had a lot of problem with the voting, as there were so many issues to consider, but well done to Eldavo. Having a layout judged by one's (online) peers has to be quite a daunting experience.