2010 RMweb Layout Challenge - The Results

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Many congratulations to a worthy winner! Lovely work and the sort of thing that makes people like me sit up and take notice. Normally 2mm and modern image leaves me cold but Waton really does seem, somehow, just right!

• RMweb Premium

Gosh! :O :o :O

I only just got in from an extended New Years trip so am probably the last to see the result. I am truly honoured and humbled that folks should score my efforts so highly. The number and quality of the entries speaks volumes for this forum and its members. I have received huge amounts of support and encouragement from folks on here (including other entrants) and it has made the experience a load of fun and utlimately that is what we are trying to achieve with the hobby I hope. What a great community.

Thanks folks. :) :) :)

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I resigned myself to the fact that the winner would probably be Waton around the beginning of September, but I'm very pleased to be in the top 6 list. Thanks to all those who voted for Felton Lane but Waton is a very deserved winner. Well done Dave. clapping_mini.gif

Well done Dave - there was never any doubt in my mind as to the winner :)

Also thanks to the Andy, the team, and the other entrants for providing lots of inspiration and a reason to spend a decent amount of time modelling. I'm slightly surprised Whitemarsh placed so high, but also delighted as you can probably imagine!

Should go and finish things now, but the heat is sapping my modelling willpower - work is easier...

Cheers,

Will

Being one of the last(?) to post, there is not a lot more I can say without echoing the plaudits of those who have proceeded me.. but

B----Y WELL DONE to all the finalists - and everyone else who entered. Without you my layout would be less than it is 'cos I blagged your methods mercilessly!

2011 challenge? We're already two days behind the ball..... How about 2012? A series of interlocking roundy roundy's?? Ahh back to the New Year Beer :D

Seriously though, our hobby is always under attack from people who have little idea what 'playing with trains' actually involves - and as this competition is not as well publicised as 'I'm the 2nd cousin twice removed of someone who knew a celebrity - get me out of here' or some of the other c--p tv that keeps SWMBO occupied whilst I'm modelling - that situation is unlikely to change. Thank God for that. Gentlemen - and ladies - let us revel in our uniqueness!

Once again - congrats to you ALL

Ian

• Like 1

Guest Dave.C

Well done not only to the winner Dave, but also to all who managed to complete an entry.

Where do I sign up for the next one?

• RMweb Gold

Well done not only to the winner Dave, but also to all who managed to complete an entry.

Where do I sign up for the next one?

Congratulations Dave, I really do think that Walton is a very worthy winner. There is a lot of food for thought there.

The entries this year were all of a really high standard and congratulations to everyone who actually managed to get beyond the armchair stage! To build something within a set time frame is a challenge in itself, but to get the number of very high models says a lot about the skill of the builders. I must say that for me it was such a difficult decision to choose an ‘overall’ winner, but having the voting system of ranking really was a good method as one was really able to look closely at what the builder had done. When I was casting my vote I had four internet pages up at one point so I was able to compare and really scrutinise the items being presented. So a big vote of thanks to the admin team for running the event.

So what next for 2011? (I suppose 2012 will have to have an Olympic theme to it!) :lol:;)

Regards,

Nick

Many congratulations, Dave. Thanks to all of the entrants for taking the time to document their work in such an interesting manner. I enjoyed following the progress of all of the entries throughout the year and look forward to the next competition.

Arp

An idea for the next challenge:

The four seasons, making a layout in a small space (smaller than this one we had) and make it recognizable what season it depicts. And to make it a bit harder, why not make a water-scene mandatory?

I love this competition stuff! :D

That's just perverse! laugh.gif

I was thinking of doing something very simple for this year (as we can't expect everyone to keep churning out small to medium sized layouts.

A 20" x 11" diorama?

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

That's just perverse! laugh.gif

I was thinking of doing something very simple for this year (as we can't expect everyone to keep churning out small to medium sized layouts.

A 20" x 11" diorama?

Of course you could go to the other end of the extreme and build a large layout!? ;)

Regards,

Nick.

Well done to Dave for pretty much a clean sweep with Waton.

The variety of different ideas for the same maximum space was very good. Thanks to Andy Y for arranging the voting to make the voters consider the different aspects of each layout in a fairly reasoned way. It isn't easy comparing such widely different layouts, but again Waton rightly scored highly in all categories.

I was quite pleased with my showing and happy that I entered. There is nothing quite like a deadline to focus the mind.