Dapol 142

dave flint

I've been waiting a long time for pictures of dapols 142 to appear on here, but its been a difficult beast to track down.

I don't want to be negative about a model that hasn't even come out, but Model Rail 152 has a picture on page 13 of a 142 and I'm not sure that the overall shape is correct.

As I said, I've not seen any other pictures, but from this one, the rake of the cab windscreens looks very flat, and not quite right. This is a key point of the front end, and in the printed photo it looks wrong.

Similarly, the door are the four leaf ones as originally fitted, but I thought the later liveries were being released first.

I've been looking forward to this model for a long time, and really want it to hit the spot. Does anyone else know of pictures that may prove me wrong.

I don't want to be negative. I have many Dapol locos and have generally been happy, but 2nd gen dmu stock will be important on my layout and I wanted to get a stud of these.

Bear in mind the model illustrated is only a sample and as such, is probably a long way from the final product.

If that is the case then this is the time to make comments before final designs are made and tooling produced.

I must say I wasn't convinced by the photo on MR either.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I don't want to be negative about a model that hasn't even come out, but Model Rail 152 has a picture on page 13 of a 142 and I'm not sure that the overall shape is correct.

As I said, I've not seen any other pictures, but from this one, the rake of the cab windscreens looks very flat, and not quite right. This is a key point of the front end, and in the printed photo it looks wrong.

Similarly, the door are the four leaf ones as originally fitted, but I thought the later liveries were being released first.

I've not received my subscription copy yet, but here's a link to the Dapol cad/cam image if it's of any help for comparison. The 'door issue' is referred to on the webpage: "Different headcode panels and side doors are also being catered for in our design."

Although several mentions have been made of it's appearance at Warley I haven't seen any pictures of it posted anywhere from there.

Regards, Gerry.

Hiya,

just to clarify things regarding the 142.

the model shown at Warley was in fact a hand built (out of plasticard) engineering model of the 142. Based on the developed (to date) cad/cams.

It has a motor, and through wiring plus the flexible , non gap, corridor connectors.

please dont read anything into this model, its purelty for engineering purposes and is not indicative of the final model, whenever that appears ;)

By the way, the 121 was also a plastcard working model as well.

hope this helps.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

please dont read anything into this model, its purelty for engineering purposes and is not indicative of the final model, whenever that appears ;)

And the CAD image looks rather nice :)

142iso1.jpg

I think it deserves to be successful!

• Like 2

Hi,

Yes the corridor connections will be first applied on the class 142 production models.

The through wiring is an interesting issue as it allows each car to be uncoupled for storage. However during Warley a magazine (who will remain nameless) broke the through couplers and wiring through miss-handling, although i wanred them to be careful, so we may need to revisit this area. Even more so when i understand others OO gauge EMU has had connector breakages.

The cad/cam posted above includes the older 'blocky' underframe that we have tried to redesign to allow for a more prototypical underside.

More details on the model as it progresses, or even next week with the catalogue release....................who knows :blink:

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Thanks for your response Dapol Dave - model rail failed to point that out, although its obviously work in progress judging from the trailing cars lack of underframe detail.

Ive yet to see a side profile of the model. The cad mock up is too "front on" to make a valid judgement of the profile, so let's hope we see some photos soon.

As regards couplers, id say it depends on whether Dapol set it up so one dcc chip fits the whole unit. If its a chip per car, then we only need 2 contacts to create an inter car "power bus". Could they use the magnetic coupler a la 220 and modify it to conduct electricity. Apple use a magnetic attachment on their laptop power leads.....

A friend has a Hornby 142, the later one with an inter car power carrying coupling. It has only been used a few times and despite care, it has damaged itself when one contact rode up and bent while being attached. To get a reliable and robust coupler in n gauge must be quite a challenge.

Nice images there Dave, glad to see you still want to refine it though. Are there plans to up-scale it at all? Realise it is different from wagons or the Stove R but would easily outstrip the current OO offering and would run quite nicely along side the upcoming 143/144's.

• RMweb Premium

Seen the pic in Model Rail, for a scratch built mockup its pretty good, which looks to represent the 142 in as delivered condition with 4 leaf doors, and no NRN pod nor crew escape hatch. I'd agree the rake of the windscreen is too step.

Please don't rush getting a model to market with errors, as a accurate 142 in N is going to be brilliant. Hope it will pave the way for a Class 143 and 144 :)

The CAD pictures definitely look good - as my new layout is going to be based somewhere in the Sheffield/Leeds area I can see myself buying a few of these to go with the very nice 153 in Northern Livery that I have just acquired.

Like everyone else I just hope they're not rushed to the market for the sake of it and are released when robust and right.

• 2 months later...

Dave, if work is still going on did you know there were two batches of 142 with very different roofs? The one on that CAD looks to match the lower numbered units where the roof is corrugated, higher numbered units don't have the corrugations just three big ribs which mean the NRN pods are fitted "wonky". I don't have an exact number for the change but a guesstimate from pics I have is between 142046 and 142054? Lots seem to have at least some of the grilles on the roof pods plated over these days as well.

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailwayPics/Diesel-Multiple-Units/Class-142/16179006_ib5cF#1229250287_e9Wdz-A-LB

The first batch (142/0) was 142 001-050, the second batch was 142051-096 (142/1). The second batch was concertated in NH and NL whereas the first lot went all over the place. When built there were apparently enough difference between the batchs to need a sepearate sub class. I assume this was related to engines and SCG gearboxes as post transmission change they seem to be considered one class.

• 1 year later...