Dapol 142

dave flint

3 hours ago, ash39 said:

If those are a good fit for the Dapol chassis, I'd be very tempted to give it a bash.

My only issue with 3D prints is the glazing, I can't think of a way you could make a decent job of it.

The inner area behind the glazing is quite thin, my intention was to just glue a strip of perspex behind the windows. Will also strengthen the fine pillars behind the windows. I've snapped and reglued a couple during cleanup!

Jo

• 4 weeks later...

Just put our Legomanbiffo sound + enlarged speaker into 2 X Class 142s in Arriva Livery.  Sounds brilliant.  We have full South Wales Announcements with a Welsh Accent !!!!!

We will be displaying this on the C=Rail/Realtrack/Legomanbiffo Stand at the N Gauge Show in September.

Put a Dapol Imperium Next 18 in the non powered car, but the directional lights don't change ends, does ANYONE no why.  ?????????????????

The decoders will be on sale too.

Charlie

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

@charliepetty I believe Next18 fitted models from Dapol (class 86 and new 86s) use F1 and F2 for lighting at the Number 2 end, or as in the case of the class 142, the dummy car. To add to the confusion, some DCC systems have F1 as none latching so the lights flash on and off when the function button is pressed.

To have them switch based on direction and F0 you'll need to reprogram some CVs - you'll either read the manual or see if JMRI has the Imperium Next 18 listed.

That is also my understanding, I think this means the LED's in the dummy are wired to outputs 3 and 4 in the socket rather than 1 and 2. You need to map those lights to the same button, then there is a manufacturer specific CV somewhere for each output that determines the special effects and directionality which needs set to 'solid light on when forwards' for the white lights and 'solid light on when backwards' for the red lights. Unless I've understood the information incorrectly. I think on an imperium it's CV 51 and 52 which need to be 0 for a solid light forwards or 16 for a solid light in reverse. I apologise if I have got any of that horribly wrong, I'm a bit new to this DCC lark.

The rear lights are connected to function outputs 1 and 2, so as long as F1 on your DCC system is non latching you can use F0 for the front (directional) lights and F1 and F2 to select head or tail lights at the back.

You need CV programming to get the rear lights controlled by a single function key. a,d that is decoder dependant (I can tell you how to do it on a Zimo decoder, but that's not much use to anyone using another brand)

On the CL68 you have the option of correct lights for light engine (lit up at both ends), pulling a train, (headlights only) and propelling a train (tail lights only) .

On the CL142 you can now select the correct lights for when the Pacer is running in multiple or on its own.

Regards,

Johnp

I have now set mine up so the lights in the dummy car are mapped to key 0, the red lights come on when the unit is going 'forwards' and the white lights come on when it's going in 'reverse'. This way both decoders are set with the same directionality (and address), and you can set the lighting cv's programming on the main so you don't have to swap the decoder into a motorised car. As I only have one unit it is always going to be lit at both ends, but you could just as easily map the dummy trailer lights to F1 with the directionality so you could switch each end off individually.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, richierich said:

Just skimming through the recent posts. Where are these cheap 142 that are referred to?

It not a perfect model, but Dapol also cocked up the Class 56 too!

Of course they aren't perfect- to start with they are 4'4 gauge....

Les

hi pacer fans

one of the brass connectors has come away on mine

do you think it would be ok to solder the connectors together or would this restrict movement too significantly? i dont mind having the vehicles permanently coupled. 

any other suggestion? 

cheers

tim

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, steve1023 said:

Just had an email from Rails. Dapol have announced a 2nd batch if these. 6 variations including the 3 original liveries. If Dapol do a good job of the chocolate and cream version I will probably get it. 

Only five that I know of:

Class 142 Northern Rail (Debranded) 142096

Class 142 Merseyrail 142042

Class 142 Mock Great Western Choc & Cream 142022

Class 142 Manchester PTE 142001

Class 142 Provincial 142053

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Disappointed that they haven’t chosen NorthWestern/First North Western blue with the big gold stars. Again. 

Fingers crossed for batch 3, cos that’s not a livery I can paint myself...

• RMweb Premium

It would have made more sense to include another privatised livery and keep one of the BR ones until next time. Anyone modelling late 80s Manchester can justify all but one of the new models.

Steven B

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, TomE said:

Hmm. I'd love a provincial example having grown up with them, but can I overlook the shape issues and lack of interior......:dontknow:

Tom. 

Of course you can you know it makes sense - or of course its build your own  a merry life of compromises  but they do well and run well for me. 

• RMweb Premium

The beige and light blue on the BR liveried ones accentuate the lack of tumbleholme, making the lower panels look too big.

And shouldn't that Manchester PTE be orange and brown, with a brown roof?

I suppose they are only painted samples.......

• Agree 2