Dapol 142

dave flint

Hi Dave,

Permanently coupled 2 car set, through wiring, directional lighting, all wheel pickups, no gap concertina corridor connectors and 1 PCB with a single decoder required.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Dave

Now THAT sounds very good indeed. Make it easy to get into and I'll buy you some chocolate !

BTW please don't repeat the error that Hornby have made on their Northern Rail one - spotted today in Manchester. They've got the yellow front panel wrapped round the side incorrectly and following the same angles as the cab front. No - its vertical on the wrap around bit on the real things I see daily.

A bit hard to describe and a very obvious cock up on the face of this OO model. And £84 too :O

Edited by dave flint

Hi Dave,

Luckily N.R. And the graphics design house that does the 150's and 156/158 units with their lovely (some say) pictograms graphics supplied all their files to me a couple of years back.

Indeed I supplied Aran and Charlie with some files for their rail us in case they wanted to do those deco's.

All that plusNorthern, like most companies require final say on the model before authorising it for production.

Cheers

Dave

Im intrigued by who at Northern would approve it. The MD ? Marketing department ? If they're the same folk who've approved the Hornby one they need to get out more and open their eyes!

Forgot to ask the obligatory "when's it due"question as well !

Cheers for the response and Im looking forward to bagging a brace.should look good with my NR 153s and the s&c special 156.

How about a Class 122 Single car in 4mm Dave if it was as good as your 2mm Class 121 it would be a winner i am sure?

Keep up the good work .

Nigel.

Seconded there.

By the way, going OT a bit, I think this kind of interaction with a manufacturer is fantastic and such a contrast to my two letters to Hornby with constructive criticism concerning exasperating problems I was experiencing with my Hornby diesels which resulted in..... no response. The result is that I now avoid buying Hornby diesels whenever I can.

A brilliant use of t'internet and beneficial to everyone concerned.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

Btw here is the Hornby effort, and the wrong printing of the yellow panels......

http://www.oliviastr...,r:16,s:0,i:126

which actually differs from their own pre publicity shots

http://www.topslotsn...s-142-Train.jpg

Hope there is no copyright problems, just trying to highlight the error - breakdown between designers and factory ? It really does affect the face of the model.

Edited by dave flint

Btw here is the Hornby effort, and the wrong printing of the yellow panels......

http://www.oliviastr...,r:16,s:0,i:126

which actually differs from their own pre publicity shots

http://www.topslotsn...s-142-Train.jpg

Hope there is no copyright problems, just trying to highlight the error - breakdown between designers and factory ? It really does affect the face of the model.

Looking at the two pics it appears to me likely that NR approved the Hornby pre-production paint smple, which then got cocked-up in production by the factory. Not entirely unknown, sadly.

Les

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

According to Joel (MD) at the N Gauge Show it's likely to make an appearence in the next year or two. Apparently he was quite suprised by the number of people asking about it. He looked more suprised when I said I'd have half-a-dozen of them. Can't think why....

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

According to Joel (MD) at the N Gauge Show it's likely to make an appearence in the next year or two. Apparently he was quite suprised by the number of people asking about it. He looked more suprised when I said I'd have half-a-dozen of them. Can't think why....

Thanks for the update Steven - disappointing news! Particularly given it was announced in 2010 (or earlier?) and we have seen CAD and an mock up...

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Premium

I'm still waiting for the 142, and looking at the initial proposed releases, I'll buy them, they are such a key model for anyone modelling operations in Northern England for the past 25 years. Its a shame it seems to have fallen off Dapol's radar  :nono:

Maybe the solution is to get our requests into Bachmann, who IMHO producing tooling which is that bit finer. An ideal partner for the 150 as well.

Edited by richierich

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Dapol had 3D printed Class 142 body shells on display at Alexandra Palace today, and they say they are currently in the final stages of completing the tooling for them, so they are on the way!

post-1467-0-05217700-1427557055_thumb.jpg

Tom. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I didn't get any other photos i'm afraid, but there was a 3D print for the OO Class 68 on display which showed promise, and that new items are starting to work their way through at Dapol, although they are focusing on catching up with previously announced items.

Factory decorated samples of the N gauge TGS were on show also, along with the O gauge terrier, which looked lovely, even to this N gauge modeller!

Tom.

• Like 1