Dapol 142

dave flint

Part of me is hoping they end up in the sales so I can buy a reasonably priced one to donate it's chassis to my 3D printed 143! They do seem rather a curates egg, good in places. Still unsure whether to get an Arriva one for Maesglas

Jo

Well my long pre-ordered Pacer in Northern Spirit livery has arrived and done a few laps of the track. I'm happy with it's performance and to my eye, it looks OK.

When we started out in 2011 never did I think it would be 2019 that it arrived. At this rate my J72s will arrive any year now.

Thanks for info on 142s working with other units. Shows how useful this site is and what info is about  I think I have seen a Locomotives IlIustrated on Pacers and a book has just been published

Modern locomotives illustrated 196 (August/September 2012). There's also a book by Colin Marsden on Second Generation DMUs (Ian Allen) where they feature.

What is the more recent title that you infer? 

• Like 1

I tested mine today and it has problems. It pauses for a few seconds then runs fine in left to right. In the other direction it runs very slowly for a few cm then stops. If I turn it around, it runs slowly left to right, but not at all in the other direction. Very weird.

Even stranger, if I swap the controller feeds around to reverse the current going to the track, exactly the same happens - I would have thought that ought to reverse the problem. I shall obviously have to send it back, but would love to know why this is happening. It makes no sense to me at all. It is a DC model running under DC control.

Even stranger, if I swap the controller feeds around to reverse the current going to the track, exactly the same happens - I would have thought that ought to reverse the problem. I shall obviously have to send it back, but would love to know why this is happening. It makes no sense to me at all. It is a DC model running under DC control.

Try it on a piece of track not connected to the layout to eliminate the possibility of a fault which is layout track related.

Edited by mikeharvey22

Found the Loco Illustrated mag pf 2012- thanks to rich. 11 iveries shown. GWR choc/cream, Manchester PTE -orange, Provincial blue, Regional blue//grey (and a brown, white and red livery), Merseyrail yellow, Northern Spirit -turquoise, Arriva -blue (also 2004 one car in red and another in green!), FNW dark blue, Northern blue//maroon, FGW dark blue. 

There must be many more since 2012. I will get one of the Pacer books of 2018.

Hopefully one or two will be preserved as are part of the diesel heritage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2019 at 13:17, D9020 Nimbus said:

Well, Realtrack Models strongly suggested, when the 144 was announced in OO, that they'd do an N gauge version. Seems to have quietly been forgotten.

Realtrack have never suggested we would do a N Gauge 144.   Charlie

• RMweb Gold

Northern Rail & ATW versions now available by the looks of it. 

The Northern livery looks much better on the production models than the rather lurid colours used on the samples. 

Tom. 

• Like 1

Northern livery does look spot on to be fair. I wonder if that means it won't match their 153 from a few years ago though?

They ought to re-run the 153 and 156 in Northern liveries - take advantage of sales off the back of the pacers. 

Anyone know how long it'll be for the DCC fitted versions? 

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I picked up a Northern Rail one from my local store at the weekend.  I haven't run it yet but I have to say, for £115 I am pretty impressed.  It looks like a pacer to me, though I am no expert, and the livery seems spot on.  I like it!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

There have been several requests for photos of a Pacer on a layout. 

Here  is one on my layout Molinnis taken at the Biggleswade show today. The unit did not like my Minitrix curved points at all ( although not much does), has anyone tried the unit out on the Peco Setrack curved points?

Nick

pacer.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

An update after a week of intensive running on my Kato layout Sunnisyde.

Appearance, I'm sure it's not 100% accurate, but to me, in Northern Spirit livery, it looks right.

Performance, It runs well either flat out or at a crawl over my pointwork [#6, #4 points and the scissors].

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Now that these have been out for a while and people have had time to run them, what’s the consensus....? Insomuch as, what’s the running qualities like?..... any horror stories?!

I’m quite reluctant to spend any more money on Dapol locos (class 68 excepted; with new mech), as I’ve had some real shockers that ran so bad I had to return them (repeatedly; including supposed replacements)....

Since the engineering design of the 142 is essentially a decade old, I’m assuming the running qualities will be that of older Dapol designs and hence my reluctance.

With locos costing [typically] £115 (from the box shifters), it should run like a £115 loco; when I used to be able to pick up a loco for £60, I was far more tolerant of any shortcomings.... when the costs double, but the quality doesn’t, I’m no longer interested. In short, if Dapol can’t meet those expectations, they won’t be getting any more of my money, I’m afraid.

And in the interest of balance, I will say that Dapol’s 68 and HST are great, so I know they can produce [repeatable] quality.

Finally received a model of the Dapol pacer in Regional Railways livery. I waited for the dcc chipped version as the cost difference in not too great. Unpacking from the box I was a little disappointed however after a couple of hours running in both directions, the wait is probably worth it. I didn't purchase to run on my layout of Arisaig but as this layout is set up the opportunity was too good to miss. With proper running in the model is quiet and runs faultless and at a normal viewing distance the design faults do not appear too obvious.  Btw did any other owners find the black corridor connector between the powered and non powered unit directional. Fit the wrong way around at there is restriction in the corridor connector on each of the units.Remove and switch then this is not the case. Welcome your views

20190302_161946.jpg

20190302_161827.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My first one ran silky smooth when the powered car was leading. Running in reverse (with or without the unpowered half) was best described as lumpy. There was obviously something wrong with the mechanism.

The replacement runs OK, but it's certainly a model that improves with running in.

Steven B

With the Dapol class 142 , if yours appear to have erratic running in either direction , before jumping to any conclusions, place the model on a piece of glass to check all the wheels are incontact with the panel. If there is any rocking then he chassis is twisted remove the wheels and check the brass mountings , when you pack the models into the boxes the pressure on the foam moulding used to secure the models in transit appear to push the axles out of alignment.

After you have realigned the axles remove some of the packing material before putting back in the box. The design in this area is particularly poor , I wonder how long before loose senenary fibres becomes entrapped

• Like 1

I splashed out and have 4. All purchased from Durham Trains of Stanley. They all are beautiful runners, quiet and controllable. Even smoother and quieter after a good running in. They negotiate my Kato points with ease. I think, as has been said, that they look good from normal viewing distance. I have weathered the Tyne and Wear model and it is a significant improvement, particularly around the lower door areas. 

Cheers,

Ged.