Dapol 142

dave flint

You are missing the point - if you are already making provision for DCC then adding a slightly larger space for a sound chip and speaker is really not that difficult.  The compromise is made before that in working out if you can fit the mechanism and interior in (the DCC sound provision does not significantly increase the compromise you may have already had to make).

OK...But my posts are not from Dapol's point of view. They aren't releasing any DCC sound fitted ones. My posts are from a customer's point of view. Dapol may have thought of such things and created the space for it. But with a large variety or speakers and dimensions to them you may need to do some hacking. Which was why I said it may be tough.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

You seem determined to miss the point! If the manufacturer designs in the space then there is no need for anyone to hack anything! It is just a case of finding the dimensions of say a Loksound Micro (or Zimo equivalent) plus a sugar cube speaker and making sure that sufficient space is left for them (for the customer to fit).

There is a significant demand for DCC sound ready (or fitted) models in N gauge so not designing in space seems perverse.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Premium

Now now, we're criticising a model, which has been on the drawing board since 2010?

I'm just pleased Dapol have finally moved the project forward and closer to production. But still no real photos, which is disappointing. I hope they have got the dimensions correct and not done another class 56.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Never said it was impossible...But with the expectations these days it is going to be difficult to have an interior modeled, detailed underframe and also DCC sound. Somewhere, something has to be compromised.

Hi

Obviously you haven't seen the 101 or 108 then.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

Obviously you haven't seen the 101 or 108 then.

Cheers

Paul

I have and it's certainly not the same size as a 142...and hence my worries. I've seen people complain about OO gauge models and how DMUs had to have a higher floor due to the drive mechanism and DCC fitments. So I shared my worries...

All Dapol has shown us is a 3D printed sample, in which the windows are the wrong size. Could it be because of them not wanting a drive system to be seen?

Edited by MGR Hooper!

There is a significant demand for DCC sound ready (or fitted) models in N gauge so not designing in space seems perverse.

Mind you the 142 has been past Dapols initial drawing board stage so long ago that it was before DCC and sound were invented, so designing it in probably hasn't been considered. ;-)

G.

• RMweb Premium

The Class 142 has a lot of glass, no guards and parcel section and is a small train without bogies. So I do see why installing a drive system with DCC and sound functionality without compromising looks to a point that will cause complaints will be a challenge. I'm also not saying it is impossible, but it'd be quite a challenge in this particular model in N.

I haven't seen what the mechanical spec is to be but assuming only one axle of each car is powered there would appear to be room below the window line over a non powered axle for speaker and chip, I' not hugely familiar with the prototype but googling a selection of pictures there does appear to be lots of body below the windows.

Regards

Roy

It's about time in n that DCC was standard, because then precious space for DCC sockets wouldn't be wasted. Also I find N runs much better on DCC than under analogue.

So I have to pay for something I don't want and will have to take out just because you cannot get a layout to work on DC?

I don't mind people going DCC as long as they don't start insisting that I have to adopt it.

As for the 142s its about time, but I would want both axles powered.

Edited by Bomag

• 3 weeks later...

So I have to pay for something I don't want and will have to take out just because you cannot get a layout to work on DC?

I don't mind people going DCC as long as they don't start insisting that I have to adopt it.

As for the 142s its about time, but I would want both axles powered.

I totally agree on that. My layout is standard DC & I enjoy it that way, not everyone wants to convert to DCC, I think modellers should remain with the choice to do either.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 1977joey

Built in DCC wouldn't mean the model won't run on DC. DCC chips can sense analogue DC and run as normal.

That then requires people who don't want DCC, to have to pay for it anyway. Why should anyone have to pay for something they don't want? If its designed with fitting in mind then the choice remains with the customer. By and large, the factory fitted DCC in most of the models I've bought aren't as good as I'd like them, so they've ended up being replaced anyway; at additional cost which I am becoming more reluctant to continue to meet. 

That then requires people who don't want DCC, to have to pay for it anyway. Why should anyone have to pay for something they don't want? If its designed with fitting in mind then the choice remains with the customer. By and large, the factory fitted DCC in most of the models I've bought aren't as good as I'd like them, so they've ended up being replaced anyway; at additional cost which I am becoming more reluctant to continue to meet. 

If having the chip in all models is the only way that model can be financially viable, would you still rather do without, or prefer that nobody gets that model?

Just a thought

Les

Edited by Les1952

• 11 months later...