Opinion on ACE Products kits?

Zappatime

Zappatime,

I built an Ace models kit of the ex LBSCR K class on 7mm and in spite of all of the members of my club warning me not to buy one, I did, and it went together very well and ran even better, I put a HOG motor in it and it would manage 13 coaches around the club test track.

I believe that Bill Ascough himself once described his kits as an aid to scratchbuilding, regardless of that I found the K enjoyable to build.

If there is a down side to this particular kit it was the lack of instructions for it, if I remember rightly there were about three pages of A4, sparsely illustrated, an access to pictures of your chosen prototype is certainly a must.

Pete

• 1 year later...

....I built an Ace models kit of the ex LBSCR K class on 7mm and in spite of all of the members of my club warning me not to buy one, I did, and it went together very well and ran even better, I put a HOG motor in it and it would manage 13 coaches around the club test track.

I believe that Bill Ascough himself once described his kits as an aid to scratchbuilding, regardless of that I found the K enjoyable to build.

If there is a down side to this particular kit it was the lack of instructions for it, ......

The original design was meant for 7mm anyway. Seems they didn't work very well when shot down to 4mm......

Hello Zappatime, (Old post l know) but l have just built the A1X from Ace Products, l have heard that they were hard work, and l must say that it was not that hard, yes a lot of things didnt fit too well, but a bit of work with the file soon sorts it out, l think it really depends on the skill of the modeller ? my advice is get one and have a go, they are cheap enough, the A1X with the wheels and the motor cost just under £200.

GeorgeT

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Resurrecting this thread from the dead...

Does anyone have experience of building the ACE Maunsell N Class kit?

Is it one of the better ACE kits that goes together well or one of the others? Any views on how accurate to prototype it is?

Good Morning,

If I could just tag this onto this thread. I have the following Ace kits in my to build pile:

N7 0-6-2, J69 0-6-0T and J19 0-6-0.

If anyone has built any of these, I would be glad to hear from them regarding ease/difficulty etc.

Probably off forum would be better and avoid another thread hijack.

Best wishes

B

Is it one of the better ACE kits that goes together well or one of the others? Any views on how accurate to prototype it is?

I would worry about the valve gear etchings.  May be a bit fragile.

We only build his kits with inside valve gear.

Bill

• Like 1

Good Morning,

If I could just tag this onto this thread. I have the following Ace kits in my to build pile:

N7 0-6-2, J69 0-6-0T and J19 0-6-0.

If anyone has built any of these, I would be glad to hear from them regarding ease/difficulty etc.

Probably off forum would be better and avoid another thread hijack.

Best wishes

B

post-5754-0-11248500-1462884805_thumb.jpgpost-5754-0-59904500-1462884846_thumb.jpgpost-5754-0-77406000-1462884896_thumb.jpg

Hi J19 will produce a reasonable offering with a bit of work. In my case it was a purchase early on and a new cab etch was required from the original supplied  to be able to complete a B R version. This meant a bit of a fiddle in the cab area as the new etches and existing parts did not marry to well. I still have the tender etches as the one supplied was for the tender with water pick up and the coal space among other bits and bobs is different. This is not a problem just pick your loco as some ran with the water pickup tenders from the D16's with the device removed. Plans from The GER society are reasonably priced and a good bet. Overall would I buy an ACE kit again, yes and have done so. As mentioned elsewhere the proprietor is very helpful and will supply tenders as a separate item if required.

Terry

• Like 1

Check to see if it is from the kit range purchased a few years ago from the Sanspareil range.

If it is, then it comes with a cast firebox/boiler/smokebox, and as far as I know is accurate to prototype.

The only issue I know about is that the footplate is assembled to the chassis, and the cast boiler is removable for access to the motor, which some don't like, but is not an issue for me.

Chris

attachicon.gifj19-1a.jpg.jpgattachicon.gifJ19-3a.jpgattachicon.gifJ19-2a.jpg

Hi J19 will produce a reasonable offering with a bit of work. In my case it was a purchase early on and a new cab etch was required from the original supplied  to be able to complete a B R version. This meant a bit of a fiddle in the cab area as the new etches and existing parts did not marry to well. I still have the tender etches as the one supplied was for the tender with water pick up and the coal space among other bits and bobs is different. This is not a problem just pick your loco as some ran with the water pickup tenders from the D16's with the device removed. Plans from The GER society are reasonably priced and a good bet. Overall would I buy an ACE kit again, yes and have done so. As mentioned elsewhere the proprietor is very helpful and will supply tenders as a separate item if required.

Terry

Thank you Terry,

Your model is just as I remember the engines at Felsted in Essex.

Mine is I think a later version modified to build the round top firebox version. I have noted your comments regarding tender variations, that said I rather like the weather board on yours.

To conclude, I would also like to concur that the proprietor of Ace Products William Ascough is a very helpful and pleasant man to deal with.

Bob

• 5 years later...

I built the D2 many years ago. A bit basic but it went together quite well and looked the part. My only challenges were fitting enough lead to balance the loco ( a common problem with 4-4-0s) and shorting on the brake pull rods. This may have had something to do with my choice of cast drivers and the American system of current collection. The double pull rods of a Bullied loco should be real fun!

At the risk of teaching egg sucking, and my limited knowledge of the prototype, could I humbly suggest that you accumulate as much prototype information as possible and then select a specific individual locomotive at a precise point in it's life and build it.

I must confess that building a spam can is on the bucket list. Enjoy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just recently received the DJB  Bulleid Light Pacific Kit to build the later BOB wide cab version. First impressions are good, excellent castings which may well be sans parail. I look forward to building the kit in due course. William Ascough, was very helpful.

50 minutes ago, Stuart Dodd said:

I have just recently received the DJB  Bulleid Light Pacific Kit to build the later BOB wide cab version. First impressions are good, excellent castings which may well be sans parail. I look forward to building the kit in due course. William Ascough, was very helpful.

DJB Kits were always very good. I have the Bullied and the standard 4 to build still in my pile and wish I had bought the standard 5.

Paul R

• Like 1

Hi folks 

Yes the MN kit looks great too.  It may be a bit of a learning curve for me but there's no real rush. I've taken the advice above and bought a good book on the prototype - lots to learn!  I'll be sure to post some progress when something substantial has happened.. 

T

Edited by Tully Mk.2
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just been reading through this thread and have found it most informative thanks to the wealth of knowledge within the membership. My interest is due to an intended purchase of the J10 kit and as to  whether anyone has any experience of its build quality 

• Like 2

Hi, While l was at Kettering last week l was tempted to buy an ACE west Country kit, having put a  couple of his kits together before so l knew they were a challenge to say the least, but before l gave the guy my dosh a friend informed me that there was a kit on the bring and buy stall l might want to have a look at first, on inspection l found a brass chassis complete with wheels and a new motor still in its box , that was enough to buy it, when we were having a coffee l had a good look at it and to my horror l found it was a Merchant Navy..so when l got it home l had an idea to make it into a BB 34055 'Fighter Pilot' and make all the adjustments required, but to my amazement the chassis was a light pacific, so the guy who sold the kit had the same plan...will see how l go...

• Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, gismorail said:

Just been reading through this thread and have found it most informative thanks to the wealth of knowledge within the membership. My interest is due to an intended purchase of the J10 kit and as to  whether anyone has any experience of its build quality 

Morning Martin, All l can say is go for it, you will be fine...

Edited by georgeT
  • Round of applause 1