TouchCab news & updates

Jens has released a small 'bug fix' update on I-tunes. But be warned, I tried updating on my lads I-pod first, and it wiped the configuration/loco/acc list completely!  So I transferred the list back from my I-pod and then tried updating the daughters I-pad (I use them as back ups) with the same result. So if you have a lot of data stored, back up to another device first. Kev.

Jens has released a small 'bug fix' update on I-tunes. But be warned, I tried updating on my lads I-pod first, and it wiped the configuration/loco/acc list completely!  So I transferred the list back from my I-pod and then tried updating the daughters I-pad (I use them as back ups) with the same result. So if you have a lot of data stored, back up to another device first. Kev.

Thanks for the heads up Kev........I'm not experiencing any difficulties with my current version......so will hang fire doing any upgrade.

Thanks....Bob.

Yes, it's been fixed, and version 1.8.3 is out. Now remains to be seen how much damage 1.8.2 has done.

This one was a real killer, and it caught me completely by surprise. Had I seen a data-losing bug in the lab, I would of course not have sent the software on the market in the first place.

The fix was easy once the cause was found, though, and the feedback for 1.8.3 so far has been positive, so here's hoping ...

Jens

Edited by Jens Vesterdahl

Thanks Jens,  Two I-pods updated and tested with no loss of data, although as I'd already re-installed the data I cannot confirm if it would have come back! The only outstanding issues I have now is that F13 will not unlatch, and I still have problems with certain combinations of titles and address not updating the screen, HTH. Kev.

I didnt update my iphone thanks to picking up the msg on here from Kevpeo......I noticed today that the update version number had changed to 1.8.3 from 1.8.2

I have updated Touchcab on my iphone and will try it all out this evening.

Bob

Sorry a bit late in adding.......everything is perfect from my perspective......very happy.

Edited by 250BOB

• 2 weeks later...

The only outstanding issues I have now is that F13 will not unlatch, and I still have problems with certain combinations of titles and address not updating the screen, HTH. Kev.

For the record, the apparently freezing screen is caused by having two locos with the same address while connected to a Lenz system.

Only one of those same-address locos will respond, and if that is not selected, the UI will appear frozen.

Workaround: Only one loco can have any given address at a time. Use configurations if e.g. you need to switch between time periods or layouts.

Thanks to kevpeo for help sorting this one out  :good:

Trying to nail the F13 issue now ...

Jens

Edited by Jens Vesterdahl
  • Like 1

For the record, the apparently freezing screen is caused by having two locos with the same address while connected to a Lenz system.

Or in our case having the same loco on three different layouts using the same DCC kit! Kev.

Edited by kevpeo

• 1 year later...

Been on the Touchcab web site today and it looks as if this software is likely to disappear in the not to distant future.

Is there any other similar software that can be used on Apple devices with the Lenz DCC system?

I'm not aware of anything else which is "stand alone" as TouchCab.

There are several ways of doing it with a computer in the centre providing the bridge from App to DCC system. JMRI is one route, with the WiThrottle App for Apple devices. I think there is a similar method with RocRail, but I'm not a regular RocRail user.

JMRI can run on a little Raspberry PI which could be left hooked up full time to the layout, and I think RocRail can work in a similar fashion, so the "computer" would not need to be a hulking big thing.

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

link to the site

http://www.touchcab.com/

thats a ######, must remember not to delete the app off my computer

Hi

That shouldn't be a problem. I bought a new iPad mini earlier this year and I had been using an app (iSSH) for connecting to a Raspberry Pi. When I went to download this app from the App Store it was no longer available and I thought I would have to find a new one. Going into my purchases I found that the app was still there and I was able to download it to my new iPad.

Cheers

Paul

I'm not aware of anything else which is "stand alone" as TouchCab.....

There was that promised "Control Tower" app for Digitrax systems, designed to work with Digitrax's LocoNet WiFi interface.

I'm not sure what happened to that?

There is another similar "computer free" WiFi application though.

The new Bachmann "E-Z Command Smart Interface".

Designed to work with the basic E-Z Command DCC system.

(n.b. this is not the Bluetooth based system, E-Z App, which is another product.)

The demise of TouchCab is a great loss.

Many thanks to Jens, not only for all the hard work, but for his pioneering work in this field.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

Ron,

I should have added "with Lenz" to my statement.

There are other makers with stand alone interfaces, ESU works to a browser, as does Roco Z21.

I think the Digitrax product and App died before release some years ago. ( It's probably possible to DIY a Digitrax compatible product with various hobbyist LocoNet boards).

Nigel

• Like 1

Been on the Touchcab web site today and it looks as if this software is likely to disappear in the not to distant future.

Is there any other similar software that can be used on Apple devices with the Lenz DCC system?

I know Jens has shut down the Touchcab forum due to 'spam/attacks', but he did say he was about to start on the next update/software version. So here's hoping. Kev.

• RMweb Gold

he did say he was about to start on the next update/software version. So here's hoping. Kev.

i think the statement on the website would point to the opposite is going to happen, unless of course you have spoken to him very very recently (i.e. this week) 

• RMweb Gold

However, the fat lady may not be singing just yet. Stay tuned.

Jens

Lets hope!

I only recently got touchcab and am very impressed, shame if it were to go as i for one am very inpressed by what you have done

Edited by big jim

Lets hope!

I only recently got touchcab and am very impressed, shame if it were to go as i for one am very inpressed by what you have done

As you know Jim, I have used Touchcab for some years, and love it too.

As long as I have the app does it mean I can keep using it, or will it cease if Jens closes it.??

Jens was supporting the Beta testing of the recently released update, (4.1.0), to the ECoS firmware, so I am surprised to hear that he may be stopping further development of Touchcab.  Whilst TouchCab  has been ported to the Lenz system, it did start life as an ESU ECoS only app. I do wonder if Jens's decision has been influenced by the fact that ESU will soon be releasing the Android based Mobile Control 2, which will bring additional cordless non-iPhone throttles to the ECoS. Also, ESU's firmware 4.x.x does allow ECoS users to control their ECoS remotely from any computer using Java or a VNC Client, so that even my GBP60 Windows 10 Tablet gives me virtually the same facility on Windows as TouchCab did for iPod and iPhone users . However, it is sad when a pioneer like Jens decides that support for his excellent brainchild has to end.

Jens, I'm not an iPhone user, and never will be, but thank you for your support of the ECoS through TouchCab. Hopefully, we have not heard the last from you and TouchCab for ECoS.

No reason for speculation, gents - the decision has nothing to with any other product. I still think that in terms of usability TouchCab is far superior to anything else out there and I'm not afraid of the competition. I just don't have the time to keep up and now was the right moment.

But as I said earlier ... stay tuned.

How damaging to Lenz will the withdrawal of TouchCab be?

Lenz haven't displayed much enthusiasm for its DCC developments over the last few years.

Their throttles are dated and long overdue for replacement and from anecdotal evidence and other comment, the availability of TouchCab has partially, or completely compensated for those weaknesses in the eyes of some Lenz buyers and users.

For others, TouchCab brought wireless control to their Lenz systems, for as little as £5.

Lenz even introduced a new LAN/USB interface to allow smart devices to be used as wireless throttles with the Lenz system.

AFAIK, TouchCab has been the only app available to make use of this facility, without having to go through a PC running a computer software package.

I wonder if "stay tuned" has any bearing on this?