TouchCab news & updates

Does the interface have to be the 23151 ?

I have an LI-USB (23150) and wondered if I connect that to a basic laptop connected to a router would that allow me to run Touchcab?

I would love to operate this system but funds preclude acquiring a 23151.

Hi Karl

Certainly I am not the one to answer your question on that issue.......best if you ask the question of Jens, on the Touchcab website...forum.

http://www.touchcab.com/forum/index.php

You may find a couple of guys on this thread very helpful too.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58736-decoder-pro-3-help-and-now-a-successful-touchcab-user/page-3

Particularly Nigel Cliffe and Paul Cheffus are very knowledgeable on this thread.

Bob

• RMweb Premium

You cant avoid getting an LH100, you need it to program, something the Touchcab system doesnt do.

Bob

Hi

That's not strictly true as if you are using Touchcab you have the PC interface therefore you could use a PC and JMRI to do your programming.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it has to be the 23151.

You can't go backwards through a PC and then the 23150.

Hi

That's true for Touchcab but you can use Wiithrottle and the 23150. However you would then require a computer running JMRI for the server. This could be a Raspberry Pi.

Personally though I would go with the 23151 and Touchcab. You might be able to sell the 23150 and recoup some of the cost.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

That's not strictly true as if you are using Touchcab you have the PC interface therefore you could use a PC and JMRI to do your programming.

Useful to know, but I'd rather get a hand controller than install Java on a computer.

That's true for Touchcab but you can use Wiithrottle and the 23150.

I'm not sure that I could purchase an app that has this as a warning:

* WiThrottle is not to be used to control full size (12”/ft.) trains.

At least not without a smiley! :)

You cant avoid getting an LH100, you need it to program, something the Touchcab system doesnt do.

Any questions, just fire away.

Bob

Morning Bob,

Can I still program the Touchcab as I only have the LH90, and not the LH100 ?

ATB,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

• RMweb Premium

Morning Bob,

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi

Not sure I understand what you mean by the above.

To use Touchcab you need an iPod/iPhone and in your case as you have a Lenz set a 23151 computer interface plus a connection to a wireless network be it your normal router for the internet or a separate one just for your layout. You don't program Touchcab it is a hand controller that runs on the above devices and allows you to operate your layout wirelessly.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Useful to know, but I'd rather get a hand controller than install Java on a computer. I'm not sure that I could purchase an app that has this as a warning:At least not without a smiley! :)

Hi

Agree with you on that 100% but I was just giving all the options.

I have been using Touchcab for the last eighteen months and think it is a fantastic app. Both my LH100 and Roco Multimaus have been in the drawer since buying Touchcab.

Cheers

Paul

As some of you have said, TouchCab can't be used for CV programming, and that's on purpose. I wanted to make an app - for operations - that sets the reference for user experience.

Wether or not I have succeeded is your call. Taste and opinions differ, but I can tell you that usability does not come cheap. It's hard work and hard rework - over and over again. Add a new feature, and the old screen layout breaks completely, as I learned with version 1.8.

Personally I'm very happy with what I've got today. But then I should be, or I should change it, shouldn't I?

Looking forward, I'm on the threshold of a complete rebuild of the software. I've learned a lot along the way, and many optimizations have been deferred until the rewrite. I have huge to-do list and an equally long optional to-do list, so there is a lot of work ... um ... to do.

One of the things I want to prepare for is in-app purchasing. For example, you could buy the ability to show track plans or do CV programming for a small fee.

Any thoughts on this?

Best regards

Jens

Jens,

I for one am ok with IAP's if its for an option I want.. but it is a fine line between 'optionality' and with being made to feel your having to buy something that should have been part of the app (us consumers are a picky bunch) Personally I think Touchcab does well at train control and I don't really want to do programming with the app I use JMRI for that, I just want to drive. Will be interested to see the rewrite when you get round to it though.

... and finally cost obviously is an issue for these :) just my pennies worth..

• RMweb Premium

Jens,

I for one am ok with IAP's if its for an option I want.. but it is a fine line between 'optionality' and with being made to feel your having to buy something that should have been part of the app (us consumers are a picky bunch) Personally I think Touchcab does well at train control and I don't really want to do programming with the app I use JMRI for that, I just want to drive. Will be interested to see the rewrite when you get round to it though.

... and finally cost obviously is an issue for these :) just my pennies worth..

Hi

I would like the ability to program from Touchcab especially POM so that I can change the acceleration / deceleration rate depending on the train that the loco is hauling.

As Touchcab is foremost a throttle then I wouldn't have any issue with the programming part being a paid add on.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

I would like the ability to program from Touchcab especially POM so that I can change the acceleration / deceleration rate depending on the train that the loco is hauling.

As Touchcab is foremost a throttle then I wouldn't have any issue with the programming part being a paid add on.

Cheers

Paul

I would go with Pauls thoughts on this Jens......I also use my iPhone and iPod to control the layout all the time, its my first choice.....altough my two handheld LH100's are plugged in and occasionall get picked up when more convenient.

But I can guarantee that once you have a go with Touchcab, it is so easy, quick and tactile, you will fall in love with it.

Its a magnificent tool to operate your model railway with, and we can all be really grateful to Jens for coming up with this app....and continuing to develop it.

Bob

Morning Bob,

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn

Just to be clear for you.......Touchcab is an App you buy for your iphone....only about £5

You use your LH90 or LH100 handhelds to program your locos, i.e. change addresses, alter cv's etc.,  That is still the case when you have Touchcab on your iphone.

Once your loco is programmed with the cv's you want to give it etc.,  Put down the LH90/LH100, and pick up your iphone and away you go....you are now wireless.!!!!

But if you want to change a cv, just go back to the LH90/LH100, do what you need to, and then back to your iphone. Of course you can use both handhelds and iphones at the same time if you want.

If you are anything like me Martyn, it took a while for me to understand what Touchcab was, and how it worked.......but now I'm flying with it.

Bob.

Hi Martyn

Just to be clear for you.......Touchcab is an App you buy for your iphone....only about £5

You use your LH90 or LH100 handhelds to program your locos, i.e. change addresses, alter cv's etc.,  That is still the case when you have Touchcab on your iphone.

Once your loco is programmed with the cv's you want to give it etc.,  Put down the LH90/LH100, and pick up your iphone and away you go....you are now wireless.!!!!

But if you want to change a cv, just go back to the LH90/LH100, do what you need to, and then back to your iphone. Of course you can use both handhelds and iphones at the same time if you want.

If you are anything like me Martyn, it took a while for me to understand what Touchcab was, and how it worked.......but now I'm flying with it.

Bob.

Hi Bob, Paul,

Sorry I think I did not explain myself correctly, yes I know the Touchcab is just an app, I just was not sure the the LH90 had the same capabilities as the LH100.

It was just that you said

250BOB, on 15 Nov 2013 - 20:52, said:snapback.png

Any questions, just fire away.

Bob

And I understand I will need a 23151 computer interface and the last time I asked DCC Supplies they were waiting for the delivery. It is not the first time I have had crossed wires and I do not think it will be the last  :O .

I have just chipped my first loco a Lionheart 7mm pannier with a TCS decoder, and to be honest I am not that impressed with the slow acceleration. There is a visible stepped surge after first pulling away, but I am putting this down to two possible reasons. 

One, the loco still needs more running in although I have put it on a rolling road for half an hour in each direction, and the second possibility is with a TCS decoder you can change CV 56 and 57 to help slow acceleration but I have not " got the bottle :scratchhead: " to try reprogramming yet, and it looks like it is an easier job to do on the LH100 than the LH90 hand set.

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi Bob, Paul,

Sorry I think I did not explain myself correctly, yes I know the Touchcab is just an app, I just was not sure the the LH90 had the same capabilities as the LH100.

It was just that you said

250BOB, on 15 Nov 2013 - 20:52, said:snapback.png

And I understand I will need a 23151 computer interface and the last time I asked DCC Supplies they were waiting for the delivery. It is not the first time I have had crossed wires and I do not think it will be the last  :O .

I have just chipped my first loco a Lionheart 7mm pannier with a TCS decoder, and to be honest I am not that impressed with the slow acceleration. There is a visible stepped surge after first pulling away, but I am putting this down to two possible reasons. 

One, the loco still needs more running in although I have put it on a rolling road for half an hour in each direction, and the second possibility is with a TCS decoder you can change CV 56 and 57 to help slow acceleration but I have not " got the bottle :scratchhead: " to try reprogramming yet, and it looks like it is an easier job to do on the LH100 than the LH90 hand set.

ATB,

Martyn.

I'm not a TCS fan..........having had about 8 over the past  3 or 4 years, but now down to just one....all the others having failed after a length of time in service.  Quite disappointing, but I find they do not react well to putting in very slow acceleration values.......and I used to get quite large jumps between certain speed steps, which has been confirmed by more experienced DCC operators who have looked at the speed graphs on computer.

But essentially, you need to adjust CV3 to give basic slower accelertion, I'm not sure what CV's 56 and 57 do, I have never altered them.

Bob

Hello Bob,

Thank you for the advice, I had better not hijack this thread anymore but I would be most interested in what decoders you could recommend for me for when I chip the other locos.

All the best,

Martyn.

Hello Bob,

Thank you for the advice, I had better not hijack this thread anymore but I would be most interested in what decoders you could recommend for me for when I chip the other locos.

All the best,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

I have tried all sorts of different decoders over 6 or 7 years....finally settling on Lenz, for me the most robust and reliable.  Especially if you intend to push the decoders in terms of performance.

Cheers......Bob.

Hi Bob,

Well the one thing that is important to me is the running qualities, I am not really bothered with sound, double heading or lighting at the moment.

So Lenz decoders it will be and you never know I might really push the boat out and go for the " stay alive " ones.

All the best,

Martyn.

• 1 month later...

Woo Hoo - Santa came through with a Lenz 23151 ! ! ! ! ! !

TouchCab duly downloaded to my iPhone but I won't get home to the layout until Sunday at the earliest - looking forward to reporting great and positive things on this combo.

Woo Hoo - Santa came through with a Lenz 23151 ! ! ! ! ! !

TouchCab duly downloaded to my iPhone but I won't get home to the layout until Sunday at the earliest - looking forward to reporting great and positive things on this combo.

Excellent Karl.........a merry christmas indeed..!!!!!!!

Give me a shout if you think I can help at all........I'm no I.T. wizzo, but can give you the benefit of my experience.

Bob.

Excellent Karl.........a merry christmas indeed..!!!!!!!

Give me a shout if you think I can help at all........I'm no I.T. wizzo, but can give you the benefit of my experience.

Bob.

Will do Bob - two heads are always better than one :)

Hi Karl,

Cant remember if I mentioned the make of wireless router I bought to use with the 23151 and iphone., you might find it useful.

I struggled to use my home broadband router......different i.p. addresses just baffled me....and I was unable to get the system to talk to my phone.

UNTILL.........

For £20.....I took the option of buying the Argos TP Link 150 wireless router....which had been recommended as it had the correct address already.

When this was installed as the router, it was instant success....and the rest is history..!!

I did talk to a guy who runs a layout called Crimson Road, a Stafford Railway club member, he was having difficulty making Touchcab work.....I told him about this router, and next time I saw him, he told me he was happily now using Touchcab.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1383908.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:8710714982|tsid:41408|cid:177979742|lid:55247188262|nw:g|crid:31126603982|rnd:12990838791219799963|dvc:c|adp:1o3

Good luck

Bob.