Bradfield, Gloucester Square BR 1962 ish

TheLaird

With John's permission, here are some slightly fettled versions of his 'Bradfield' photos, having been dragged kicking and screaming through the nostalgia filter... ;)

post-7638-0-83352400-1342981935.jpg

post-7638-0-05645000-1342981969.jpg

post-7638-0-50813900-1342982083.jpg

post-7638-0-85582100-1342982141.jpg

post-7638-0-26740900-1342982167.jpg

post-7638-0-20678200-1342982213.jpg

post-7638-0-88639100-1342982306.jpg

post-7638-0-90803200-1342982337.jpg

post-7638-0-47290300-1342982370.jpg

post-7638-0-62268300-1342982405.jpg

post-7638-0-26074800-1342982444.jpg

post-7638-0-92765200-1342982493.jpg

post-7638-0-02221700-1342982542.jpg

post-7638-0-01342200-1342982623.jpg

post-7638-0-83723000-1342982681.jpg

post-7638-0-48016200-1342982724.jpg

Lovely layout good to see the aricle in MRJ.

Thanks for the kind comment and glad you like the MRJ article, also to John for his comment.

Regarding the MRJ article, if anyone thinks that it ended rather abruptly, it should have said "To be continued..". Less than half the material has so far been included so watch out for subsequent issue(s).

John E

• RMweb Gold

I commented elsewhere but to repeat, a great article John with good photographic support.

PS - When you need the other info, send me a reminder PM and I'll dig it out for you.

Hi John

Mixed feelings about your decision. I really enjoyed following the development of Bradfield and as you may remember I pm'd you asking if I could buy it. However I cannot exhibit it and therefore am no longer eligible. I would obviously love to buy still but I am certain someone who is prepared to exhibit Bradfield will come forward.

Thank you for the pleasure you have brought me.

Cheers

Godders

Hi John,

Sad to hear that Gloucester Square is to be sold off but somebody with your skill set shouldn't sit still. BGS is a fantastic layout and I shouldn't think there will be any sortage of propective new owners, I'm pretty much the same as Godders, I'd be interested in ownership but the requirement for exhibiting would rule me out. But what next for you, I think I read further back in the BGS thread that you were thinking about creating Leeds Central, is this still your plan, I'd love to see what you could do with Leeds ..... but :offtopic: we need more kettles!

Good luck

Ian

Another tatty old snap of Bradfield turned up at a railwayana show.

post-1-0-53694800-1342996370_thumb.jpg

Geez,

I looked at that shot and did a double take. The flare of the cammera and the noise give it a very realistic atmosphere. It was the pin through the tie bar that gave it away eventually.

Hi John,

I think if this was my layout I would find it hard to sell but I am sure you have another project that you want to crack on with so keeping BGS would be hard if you are short of room and or need funds for the new project.

It's been a pleasure watching the BGS thread, and I hope you will keep us posted with your new developments.

Cheers Peter.

Hi John,

But what next for you, I think I read further back in the BGS thread that you were thinking about creating Leeds Central, is this still your plan, I'd love to see what you could do with Leeds ..... but :offtopic: we need more kettles!

Good luck

Ian

Right City, wrong station! Next project is an attempt at a real location, Leeds City North. I can just about get it all in with the exception of a couple of sidings. Some slight compression but 10 coach trains is the aim. Period will be 62/63 with the intention to ultimately go back to 57, when I get me kettles sorted!! Still at the planning stage but will soon start a new thread to report progress.

Thanks to Godders, Ian H and Peter for your good wishes. I intend to continue with updates for the time being and will not part with the layout until after the Manchester and Peterborough Shows.

Regards John E

It will be a very sad day when BGS departs.

I've said it before, but I just want to re-iterate, this has to be one of the most atmospheric layouts I have ever seen.

Many thanks for sharing the journey and I look forward to seeing your next project develop.

Regards

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Several reasons for the delay in producing more videos, grand children visiting and other holiday time distractions not to mention training turns in the box. My main problem has been building work in progress next door producing unwanted noises, fortunately this has now ceased and I can get back to lifes important things.

I have skipped forward a bit with this sequence, we are now late morning and service has settled down to the steady rhythm of local services...

http://youtu.be/ueWepy4ewkU

The only thing missing here is when the DMU stops, the doors should open and hoards of people should walk towards the buffer stops. Oh well we can dream. Seriously though it's difficult to remember this is a model.

Well done sir!

Paul R

Hi John,

Just to echo previous posts many congratulations for the article in MRJ, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and look forward to the next instalment. 

It is a shame to hear of the pending sale of BGS but there are two positives, someone is going to purchase a superb layout and we all get to enjoy another excellent layout once you finish your new project!

What a superb show of modelling at its finest. The sight & sounds are just sublime. Many congrats as I have followed this for a while with great jealousy, as I am sure a lot of have, and I look forward to the next project.

Hot off the press!!

post-10660-0-19464600-1343822182.jpg

Thought it only right that RMWebbers should be first to know.

Regards John E

Hi John

What Sad Situation to be in John and that it has gone to the press before for a suitable buyer could be found, I suppose it’s all to do with share holder today and that it’s all down to money and that it couldn’t be preserved for future memories sake and for those who live nearby the area to....!

I guess it's like a Richard Branson situation, and some back-handed deal that will be made for all that corruption that goes on at the top of the infrastructure ladder... Have you asked Virgin to step in and Save your Station...

Great pictures though of those taken in the old B&W photo’s of it in full use in its hay day of the 1962 era hey... It was obliviously making money for the share holders back then, well was that before Beeching axe everything...?

Great Photos John...

Jamie

Archived