Bradfield, Gloucester Square BR 1962 ish

TheLaird

John,

Modelex sell an etched midland box capable of being built to several different types, all 2 bays.

I bought 2 and did a cut and shut to make a 3 bay box.

I reckon they are good value at around £22 a kit.

I'm sure you could rattle one up in a weekend with your skills.

modelexmodelrailways.co.uk

kit no cm44

A bit of light reading for you.

www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_Bradford1953.pd.

Pete

I really enjoyed meeting you and seeing the layout at Barrow-on-Soar on Sunday morning. In about 3/4 hour of watching I didn't see a single derailment, quite an achievement for a 'first time out'. Particularly impressive was the propelling move into carriage sidings by a Peak. As commented upon earlier, the sound was suitably subdued and all the more realistic for that.

I'm pleased to see that your next move will be to signal the layout (perhaps Beast of this forum may be able to offer some ideas) and really looking forward to seeing Bradfield again on the exhibition circuit in the future. If you ask Pat Ryan of Modelex he'll probably sell you the etchings to build an extra bay to make up a three bay MR box by the way.

It made the trip down to Barrow-on-Soar very worthwhile. Very well done!

Sorry but I've already asked Pat the same request but unfortunately he does not sell separate etchings, that is why I had to buy 2 kits.

Thanks for clayrifying that point Pete. It was a good number of years ago when we customised one and a half kits to create Ashford-in-the-Water's box.

Maybe a two-bay box would ber big enough here, there's no goods facilities after all. However, would the carriage sidings be worked by hand points, from a locally released ground frame or from the station box?

Maybe a two-bay box would be big enough here, there's no goods facilities after all. However, would the carriage sidings be worked by hand points, from a locally released ground frame or from the station box?

Leander

As mentioned above no doubt the S&T guys will point John in the right direction.

I would have thought a 3 bay plus the outlet roads from the sidings would be worked and signalled by the box but I'm no expert.

Apologies to John for the hi-jacking.

Pete

This is a brilliantly evocative and atmospheric layout. I can see it becoming one of those layouts that inspires many others.

With my pedantic hat on may I make one point? Not sure if it's been already mentioned but you need some form of trap point at the exit from the centre road. I'd be inclined to put in a wide-to-gauge one as marked below.

post-6880-0-36766400-1305474407_thumb.jpg

This is a brilliantly evocative and atmospheric layout. I can see it becoming one of those layouts that inspires many others.

With my pedantic hat on may I make one point? Not sure if it's been already mentioned but you need some form of trap point at the exit from the centre road. I'd be inclined to put in a wide-to-gauge one as marked below.

I have posted a request for information on signalling etc in the "Permanent Way, Structures and Signalling" forum this afternoon. One of the questions was about a trap point on the centre road. Was this a response to that posting or are we on a similar psychic wave length? Many thanks for the suggestion.

John E

I must be psychic then John, as I've not read your new thread yet.

What also impresses me about this layout is that you can tell it's set in a northern city, of ex-MR background, without any stock on it. Those retaining walls and bridges shout out Leicester, Sheffield and, of course Bradford, to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst the signalling debate proceeds in “another placeâ€, I thought it might be worth looking at some of the more interesting traffic movements, beginning with the 1/24 from Carlisle and 3/40 return.

post-10660-0-62152500-1306434237_thumb.jpg

The train consists of BTK,TK,BTK + Van+B. The coaches being cw5A and the vans cwV4. After arrival into P3, the loco runs round via the carriage sidings and performs a station shunt.

post-10660-0-62547100-1306434244_thumb.jpg

cwV4 is detached from the train in P3 and shunted to P2 where it attaches to the vans (cwV3) that have been unloaded/loaded since arriving at 5.46 this morning from Leeds.

post-10660-0-27912600-1306434250_thumb.jpg

The whole ensemble cwV3+V4 is shunted via the c/s to P1 where it will form the 10/30 to Leeds this evening.

post-10660-0-56514700-1306434256_thumb.jpg

The loco then collects the two vans sitting at the end of the centre road (cwV1) that arrived from Nottingham at 1.46 this morning. Setting back onto the up main, the vans are shunted onto cw5A waiting at the end of P3.

post-10660-0-70541900-1306434262_thumb.jpg

Via the c/s, cw5A+V1 are shunted to P2 at about 2/40.

post-10660-0-45094400-1306434269_thumb.jpg

This leaves the loco time to run to the shed for turning.

post-10660-0-09684300-1306434275_thumb.jpg

In the meantime a couple of DMU’s have arrived in P3A and 3B from Skipton and Leeds respectively. In P2 the 3/40 for Carlisle impatiently awaits the road!!

Next time I will look at the early morning traffic of parcels, mail, ecs and workers trains.

John E

Ps this is the timetable shown previously that I use for shows and intend to operate at the members day.

John do you reckon the fireman could be sweeping up the coal dust out of the tender to get to Carlisle or will the 5 be coming off at Hellifield ?

:D

Pete

Thats an interesting point Pete and opens up a whole new area for research. It's a fair old run to Carlisle and not an easy road even for a lightly loaded 5. It is booked into Carlisle at 7/29 so nearly 4 hrs! Its an all stations to Hellifield and then stops for 22 mins so could be for an engine change. Also, would the Carlisle crew have time to do a return trip and the station shunt? More importantly, where are the head lamps?? Maybe I should stick with the diesels!!

John.

That is an excellent point about the coaling of the locos. You do though have an excellent opportunity to have removable coal loads and drop them in before running back into the station after visiting the shed. A little detail like that would be excellent. Very very rarely do you see those huge piled high tenders on model locos. Very inspiring layout. Makes me think of all those Bradford Barton books I used to get out of the library every weekend as a kid.

John,

I'm with Worsdell on that one , definitely keep the steam.

All times approx

Book on at 10:15, Relieve in Station

Depart Carlisle 10:50

Arrive Bradfield 13:24

depart Bradfield 15:40

Arrive Carlisle 19:29 relieved in Station

Book off 20:00

Total 9:45

I don't know the manning agreements for the early sixties, so maybe 9.45 mins on duty was acceptable back then.

Perhaps the Carlisle crew could be relieved at Hellifield on the up train and the Hellifield crew work it to Bradfield shunt, pnb etc and back to Hellifield with the down working.

The lamps never bother me as I think they look grossly overscale anyway.

Only wish I could attend Stafford to see the layout for real.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so the steam stays!!

So, to continue the operations and stock theme, I thought it may be best to work through a typical day at Bradfield. The timetable is based on the 1962 WTT for Forster Sq but has obviously been reduced to fit with the layout at Bradfield. So let us begin….

post-10660-0-21301700-1307362093_thumb.jpg

The Nottingham parcels arrived into P3 at 1.46, the loco has now run round via the carriage sidings (cs) and is about to shunt the train over into P1 for loading/unloading. This train includes “The Mailâ€.

post-10660-0-04036500-1307362099_thumb.jpg

It is just after 2 o’clock and the mail is being loaded in P1. The loco has retired to the cs where it awaits its next duty

post-10660-0-26536500-1307362104_thumb.jpg

3.34 and the railway workers train from Skipton has just arrived in P2. 10mins earlier, a black five has brought ECS from Leeds into P3.

post-10660-0-49786600-1307362109_thumb.jpg

The five has backed its train out into the cs reception road and is now shunting the stock into cs1. The five will then proceed to the shed for servicing and turning.

post-10660-0-60555600-1307362115_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, the Fairburn has detached its train and crossed to P1 via the centre road and up main (UM) to collect The Mail. At 3.46, the St Pancras parcels arrived in P3.

post-10660-0-35526900-1307362121_thumb.jpg

About 4 o’clock and the Fairburn has attached The Mail to the coaches in P2 and is now about to shunt the St Pancras parcels across to P1.

post-10660-0-73547700-1307362127_thumb.jpg

The St Pancras parcels are being dropped into P1 for unloading and the Peak that brought them in has moved to the end of P3 to await the all clear to back on to The Mail in P2.

post-10660-0-40009100-1307362133_thumb.jpg

4.20 and the Peak gets away on time with the Mails to Skipton where they will be attached to a northbound Postal.

post-10660-0-45507400-1307362709_thumb.jpg

5.46 and another Peak arrives with the parcels from Leeds into P3.

post-10660-0-79544200-1307362715_thumb.jpg

The Fairburn relieves the Peak of its train and shunts the vans into P2 for unloading/loading. The Peak has followed up to the end of P3 to await its next duty.

post-10660-0-63335200-1307362723_thumb.jpg

Around 6 o’clock it is time to get ready for the main passenger business of the day and so the Fairburn sets about clearing the parcels from P1. First out is the empty stock from the St Pancras parcels that are being set back into the centre road. These will not be required until the evening.

post-10660-0-72966200-1307362733_thumb.jpg

Next out of P1 is the reloaded stock from Nottingham which will be attached to the Carlisle this afternoon. This is set back into the centre road in front of the St Pancras ECS.

post-10660-0-09190900-1307362740_thumb.jpg

The five has turned and is back in P2 awaiting its next duty which will be the 7.32 dining car express to St Pancras. The Peak and Fairburn have similar duties but that will have to wait till the next exciting instalment!!

Hopefully this is of interest, if not someone please tell me. Regards John E.

Hopefully this is of interest, if not someone please tell me. Regards John E.

I'm loving this. Keep it coming. A valuable lesson into the often neglected operations aspect of the hobby.

I've been following this for a while now and as a non-native resident of Bradford I think you've captured the feel of the Forster Square area superbly, especially the towering retaining walls and warehouses. Not that there's much left nowadays.

Any chance you'll be doing any exhibitions up here?

Hi John,

Please keep the timetable pics coming, it's great. I operate my layout to a timetable so it's always good to see others doing the same. The stock is great and when it all has a purpose being where it is, it makes it all the better. I model the 80s but I do love this transition period with steam hanging on and the green diesels absolutely filthy due to lack of washers and staff, magic.B)

Cheers Peter.

Any chance you'll be doing any exhibitions up here?

Always nice to get an opinion from people who know the area, many thanks. Regarding exhibitions, I have been invited to show at Manchester and Rochdale next year, thats about as near as it gets so far.

I'll certainly look out for it. Would like to see this one in the flesh.

From the photos it looks as though you are using Spratt & Winkle couplings on all the stock? If so how do you attach them onto the bogie stock? Something I'm thinking about but not sure how to do it.

From the photos it looks as though you are using Spratt & Winkle couplings on all the stock? If so how do you attach them onto the bogie stock? Something I'm thinking about but not sure how to do it.

Hi Andrew, I use Spratt and Winkle on all the stock that is not in fixed rakes and on the end of the fixed rakes. In other words only the stock that needs coupling or uncoupling on the scenic side. I use the 3mm version as this is less obtrusive but it does need a bit of setting up. Hopefully the following pics will show what you need to know but if you need more help ask!

post-10660-0-21700800-1307376328_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-85272000-1307376333_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-75852900-1307376338_thumb.jpg

John E.

• RMweb Gold

I'm loving this. Keep it coming. A valuable lesson into the often neglected operations aspect of the hobby.

Exactly. A tiny minority of layout threads include much about how the layout is operated, and this is a complete contrast. Even a modestly-detailed layout can emulate prototype practices in the way the trains are run, yet we seldom find any details of operation are furnished with the description. Hopefully The Laird's thread here will lure a few more into operating with a timetable etc. - and telling us about it!

And this is where I am falling down on my own layout endeavours, I want to be able to run some sort of timetable but the limited fiddleyard roads are making it difficult to put in the variety a good timetable needs without constantly handling stock.

We've seen how much happens on this 3 platform station and we're only at around 07:00 - the morning rush hasn't even began - utterly compelling this thread is.

Archived