The Penguins workbench - Trans Pennine transformation part 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil.

Thanks for your positive comments. It's been a busy week this week, but I did find time to look at your thread and found your work absolutely smashing.

Glad you like the headcodes. It 's nice to share ideas and I'm glad people are getting ideas from my work.

I know what you mean about sentimental modelling. I wish I still had some of my earlier attempts. I did some wierd and wonderful stuff in my teens. I also did some railway modelling too. He heh.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Sean, there's nowt like a bit of mutual backslapping :D . Glad you've had a look. Yeh the headcode idea is great I spent a good hour faffing about cutting and arranging the bits of paper supplied by Heljan, just cos I wanted a 'Master Cutler' H/C!!! shouldn't complain tho' I collected my Heljan Lion on Monday and it had 'Sheffield Pullman' headcodes already fitted :) . However, just laying on some transfers backwards seems so obvious now :blink: . Am just collecting together all the pipes and cables now and debating whether to replace the plastic sandpipes with wire, after successfully removing the unwanted mouldings on the B/beam. I got some Hornby Cl.31 sprung buffers as spares and they look the business. Some of my earlier attempts (and later Doh!) are long gone for very good reasons but some models stick out as milestones and it reminds me of when my daughter was born :rolleyes: . As for my teens there's probably a another forum some where for that sort of stuff ;) . Cheers Phil.

I like that - very tidy.

[Columbo]Just one... more... thing[\Columbo]

Can you give some more info as to how you apply the headcode digits in esrever? Whose did you use and what holds them on?

Ta.

Hi Sean,

Thank you for that, I get the concept, well most of it.

Perhaps I am being thick here but surely the 'glue' part of the transfer dictates which way round (i.e. the right way) it will stick?

Matt

• RMweb Premium

Hi Sean, she's looking great, I like the headcode surround, luckily D231 doesn't have 'em so I can safely not spend any money on such adornments, but there's bound to be another 40 in my life so.....;) . Had a day off from D231 and did some weathering on a couple of other locos, but did get all the holes drilled for pipes etc yesterday, things are tootling along nicely, again a good job all round, well done, cheers Phil.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent Phil.

I'll be checking in on you thread as soon as I can. I'm going to have a good read through it and hopefully pick up a few weathering tips.

I'll say hi on your thread as soon as I can - packing for holidays tonight!.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi sean, enjoy your hols you deserve it after all that work, grafting away on D345 :lol:.

• 1 month later...
D5853, (31 319). My favourite snail. I saw this one more than once at Bridlington on the pick up goods whilst on my way to school. It must have been based in the Hull area at some point during the late 70's?

Not 'based' as such Sean, Hull's allocation of main liners moved away in late 1969 with diagrams then being covered by locos outstationed from other ER sheds. Harris' allocation history shows 31319 as spending most of the mid to late 70s at Immingham, Holbeck, York or Tinsley; if it was a good 'un, it could well have been 'hung onto' by Botanic for extended periodswink.gif

• RMweb Premium

according to TheRailwayCentre's Names encyclopaedia, 31428 was named 'The North Yorkshire Moors Railway' on 23/04/88, by David Mitchell MP (then Secy of State for Transport) and carried this until 03/92.

31439 was named 'North Yorkshire Moors Railway’ (note, no 'The') on 19/09/92 by Ian Charmichael (the actor)

D5529, (31 111). Mum and Dad have a picture of me in front of this loco at York in the mid 70's with some questionable shorts. Won't mention my sisters cardigan!.....

Sean.

It would be nice if you could post it on here for all to see (purely for the interest in seeing York Station in the 70's of course)!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Horsetan.

Hope you're well.

I'm enjoying your "Just Do It" threads.

You're right. 4C01 was another. IIRC this was on the Blue version. I had the Green version with 9D80 a good few years ago and was disappointed to find the headcodes did not light up! How fickle!

I've still got the body of one, which was repainted into mid-80s Railfreight livery over twenty years ago. I really ought to get round to building those etched bogies for it.....

They're looking good! :)

The headcodes will finish them off nicely - I can't stand headcodes which aren't 'behind glass'!

I had the Green version with 9D80 a good few years ago and was disappointed to find the headcodes did not light up! How fickle!

If you were a child, then that's allowed!

....I saw your mention of the 31 bogies in another thread. Can't think where now, although it may have been James' 31 thread? You really should crack on with them HT, I'm hoping to see what the finished product looks like.....

My problem is that the drive method that Mike Wynn designed into them - one motor per bogie, rather than a central motor driving bogie towers - is nowadays considered old hat.

I've also spent far too much time working out ways in which to modify them to be driven through bevel gears.

Sounds complicated?

Yes, but the momentum that bevels will allow is that much greater.....

Is the Hornby chassis not a more modern option for you?

I'd only try to buy a China 31 chassis if I were really desperate and losing the will to live. As we all know, the China 31 comes with problems of its own - metal fatigue ones.

• RMweb Gold

I'd only try to buy a China 31 chassis if I were really desperate and losing the will to live. As we all know, the China 31 comes with problems of its own - metal fatigue ones.

Luckily the fatigue occurs round about the point at which the chassis can be conveniently gelded to allow an obstruction free fit into alternative bodies.

Hornby think of everything :rolleyes:

Can I claim to be a late developer????? :lol:

Well you are from Bridlington after all! ;)

Horsey, you could always just use the innards from the Hornby chassis as I did, then you remove completely the weak point of the design.

Can I claim to be a late developer????? :lol:

Well you are from Bridlington after all! ;)

Horsey, you could always just use the innards from the Hornby chassis as I did, then you remove completely the weak point of the design.

....Horsey, you could always just use the innards from the Hornby chassis as I did, then you remove completely the weak point of the design.

That still wouldn't give me the facility to install bevel gears.

EDIT: I hate worm gears with a passion. They're cheap, yes, and everyone and his dog makes them but, to me they're like having a "crash" gearbox in your car when you could be having "syncromesh".

Now then HT.

Just had a quick look at the pictures of your prototype Deltic bogies. Quite an innovative way to deal with the non Bachmann band wagon as you put it. ...

....and, despite what I wrote above, the worm-driven Heljan 47 bogies were probably the quickest way to solve the ProtoDeltic drive, pending an over-engineered bevel-and-spur tower. The Kitmaster bogie sideframes need a bit of careful stretching to nearly-match the 47 bogie wheelbase (remember it's 7'2" x 7'2", compared to the 47's 7'3" x 7'3"), and I worked out that you can do this with little more than plastic "U"-channel, available at most good general model shops.

The Buhler motor with integral flywheels (a Heljan "standard", also from the 47) will do for now, but they can take an awful amount of current to get going. A coreless Maxon would seem to be a more efficient long-term solution. The driveshafts also need lengthening - it's 44ft between the ProtoDeltic bogie pivots, compared to the 47's 37ft.

The age of the Kitmaster mouldings mean that they need considerable refinement, but they also mean that it's easier to shave off / drill out all the coarse moulded detail. A1 Models produced etches for the cantrail / roof grilles, so that is a start. Brian Hanson might - just might - do an etch or two for a ProtoDeltic in a few years time; who knows? :P

I've already removed the cab doors on one bodyside whilst I have a think about how to make them slide open and closed. Same with the cabside glazing panels.

Plastic hacking is fun.

I've already removed the cab doors on one bodyside whilst I have a think about how to make them slide open and closed. Same with the cabside glazing panels.

Plastic hacking is fun.

Come on Ivan, where's the photos, this sounds really interesting!

Mike

- sorry for the hi-jacking

Come on Ivan, where's the photos, this sounds really interesting!...

Mike:

OT: Have put some preliminary photos (bogie comparisons and underframes first) up in an album called "The hybrid ProtoDeltic", which Sean has seen. Problems mean I am unable to see the album anywhere in my own albums list! :angry:

Don't you start. I get enough Brid related ribbing from the folk at work!

The problem is that it's almost too easy! :lol:

It's a nice place you know! :yahoo:

It has its faults like any other town but it's not too bad.

I actually have my hair cut there, not far from the station - it's a shop whose owner has known my mum and dad for over thirty years!

OT: Have put some preliminary photos (bogie comparisons and underframes first) up in an album called "The hybrid ProtoDeltic", which Sean has seen. Problems mean I am unable to see the album anywhere in my own albums list! :angry:

Where is it?! I want to see it!

...Where is it?! I want to see it!

James:

I worked out that the only place I can see my own quartet of new pics is in "Recent Gallery Images". All you'll see anyway is a view of three underframe mouldings, and some prelim shots of a rewheeled Heljan 47 bogie lined up with the ProtoDeltic bogie sideframes.

That's all I'm allowed to see. If I try to look the ProtoDeltic album up in my own list of my own Gallery albums, it is invisible. Likewise my other recent album "The Comeback King" is also invisible.

I've looked all over the Forum Help pages and....nothing. There seems no way of fixing it. :angry:

....I also have at least two sets of the A1 etches and 3 sets of fox transfers in readiness for a mammoth plastic hacking session.....

The A1 etches are the only things out there for a ProtoDeltic anyway, and they are not bad, despite their age, so I'm using 'em until such time as Brian Hanson publicly releases something better on general sale.

I managed to take some photos of the bodyside that I've started shaving bits from, so let's see if:

a. they can be uploaded; and

b. they don't "disappear" after uploading.

The ProtoDeltic roof will need drilling out for the various grilles. In an accidental piece of forward thinking, Kitmaster actually provided really nice recesses for the cantrail grilles to be plugged into. If you saw these out, you can have proper see-through grille spaces and the A1 etch grilles glue neatly over them!

Sean: three sets of Fox transfers??? For one Deltic? :blink: I'm trying to get by on just the one!

Archived