The Penguins workbench - Trans Pennine transformation part 3

Good to see a full scale conversion in operation.

It beggars belief that these unit have yet to be produced RTR. No offence intended there .Beautiful work so far. They are i suppose a bit of a niche unit,but then so is a Deltic.

I think the rtr guys have missed a trick here.There aren't many common user parts of course but they are a stunning unit in full flight.Reasonably long-lived.Good liveries and the missing link for anybody modelling the West Riding. come on Dapol Dave take a look at what this lad has achieved so far.Its certainly on my wish list.

Fine work Sean, can't wait to see her finished.then on to that lovely Gresley full brake :sungum:

Best regards

Eric & Gripper

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the work you are doing to produce a TPU I will have to get my 6 car MTK set out and rebuild it.. it won't be as good as the one you will do Penguin but the details you are adding are super.

Barry O

PS if you need seats etc from Southern Pride 247 Developments do stock them

Hi Sean,

It is very interesting to see the Replica chassis dismantled.  It looks to be a very good mechanism.  Pete's lifting brackets do look remarkably fine, but if made as he intended look dead-scale.  From my experince with his B4 bogie transoms, which had similar tiny bits,  solder paste is the easiest method to assemble such minute parts.  The plastic substitute you have used looks like an elegant solution though and my goodness, compared to the penny-piece those parts are very small! 

All the best,

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Hi Sean,

It is very interesting to see the Replica chassis dismantled.  It looks to be a very good mechanism.  Pete's lifting brackets do look remarkably fine, but if made as he intended look dead-scale.  From my experince with his B4 bogie transoms, which had similar tiny bits,  solder paste is the easiest method to assemble such minute parts.  The plastic substitute you have used looks like an elegant solution though and my goodness, compared to the penny-piece those parts are very small! 

All the best,

Colin

I like the look of that chassis but I have too many projects needing decent motors, so I am sticking with the Lima ones, unless the one is faulty.

• RMweb Premium

They are an expnsive proposition Martin, but in my opinion, worth the money. I'm debating whether to stick with my Black Beetle motor bogie for my forthcoming 114 build or get another one of these. Fortunately, the 57ft version is not yet available as I've got a few 104's and 110's to do so that would be another 4 chassis I'd require.

The Black Beetle is a good viable alternative though.

Cheers.

Sean.

My DC 128 has a Black Beetle - runs well

DC101 has a Hornby Ringfield supplied by them

Limas just start with a jerk no matter what controller (tried both electronic and variable transformer)

Sean,

The exhaust pipes passed though the head stock. It hard on most photos to see this due to the mesh guard over the pipes. The top of the exhaust pipe was just slightly proud of the mesh and was cut at the same angle.

Al Taylor

still looking for the decent underfame photos for you.

Hi Sean,

The end with the pipes looks good to me - nice and symmetrical. It always seems to be the case that you will get to a part of making a model like this where guessing from shadowy photos is all you have to go on.

All the best,

Colin

Crikey Sean,

I didn't realise you had seven coaches on the go! That is quite a challenge. At least the work will have a consistency to it that would have been hard to achieve if the vehicles had been made one at a time. It must mean writing lots of 'to-do' lists though.

Last year there were two 12-car parcel units being constructed I don't know how they managed such complex projects.

All the best,

Colin

Hi Sean,

I get the picture now (pun intended!).

I've been following your topic without appreciating that it is a 6-car unit you are building. Obviously BR north of London didn't mind throwing an odd liveried coach into the mix. That seems to have never happened on the Southern Region.

The trunking you mention will need careful planning as all these units tend to have handed equipment and fittings. Good luck and hope your knee is healing well,

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Hi Sean,

I get the picture now (pun intended!).

I've been following your topic without appreciating that it is a 6-car unit you are building. Obviously BR north of London didn't mind throwing an odd liveried coach into the mix. That seems to have never happened on the Southern Region.

The trunking you mention will need careful planning as all these units tend to have handed equipment and fittings. Good luck and hope your knee is healing well,

Colin

Hi Colin

I can recall a blue -grey 6L Hastings unit running with a all blue short motor coach off a Redhill tadpole unit in the early 70s. But it was rare event on the SR.

To me it appears the LMR, ER, NER and ScR were less inclined to keep DMUs in sets. I think it was easier to change motor coaches when they needed repair than take out a whole unit. EMUs on all regions do seem to have been kept as fixed units. This might be because the motor coaches on EMUs do not need to be fixed as often as DMU motor coaches.

Sean,

the attached photos show some details of the gas bottle arrangements on the Swindon Class 126 Buffet which might be of interest to you. I think the Trans-Pennine Buffet will be substantially similar. 

post-7058-0-58980300-1368703206_thumb.jpg

post-7058-0-20153300-1368703205_thumb.jpg

post-7058-0-13535700-1368703204_thumb.jpg

post-7058-0-85606200-1368703202_thumb.jpg

post-7058-0-82050500-1368703201_thumb.jpg

post-7058-0-82547500-1368703207_thumb.jpg

post-7058-0-69046900-1368703208_thumb.jpg

I'm going to Bo'ness this weekend - we have a run of the 126 planned (Saturday 15:35 and Sunday 13:23 for those interested www.class126.co.uk ). I shall try to grab some shots of the rest of the Buffet underframe whilst I'm there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sean, it's been a while since I looked in on your thread... but glad to see the Pennine progressing well. I've recently been dabbling with elastic and 1mm magnets to try to represent one area not often modelled (as far as I've seen) and that's the inter-coach connections. Whilst I feel it important to add bufferbeam details to locos, with a DMU on my workbench I thought that the intercoach area ought to be tackled too. I admit, I'm doing a 2 car unit so there's only one area to do but I think it will work and add something extra in a bid for realism. How's the eyesight..? Fancy giving it a go?

post-8351-0-88057000-1370073055_thumb.jpg

All coupled... and

post-8351-0-93292800-1370073056_thumb.jpg

near side jumpers stowed.

This is a Craven 105 unit.

Jon 

Cheers Sean, I've not blogged this yet; I only did it this week (at home with kids on half-term... and rain so stuck indoors - but sunny yesterday (day out in Brighton)... and today - off to Tinkers Park steam Gala to try out my new camera (Canon 60D)... so less modelling at the moment).... but yes I'll do a blog entry on it.

The craven DMU is quite nice; I'm leaving most of it alone, but have repainted the interior and weathered it, repainted ends into a better (less Bachmann) yellow, de-first classed it and still to add transfers etc. The pipework was something I wanted to try and it looks ok... for a first attempt; the magnets work as hoped.

The pennine unit is quite a job... well done for keeping going with it ... says he 20 months in to his 47 project ;-) 

...Please post a little more on how you achieved it and in the mean time, I'd best check out your blog...

Hello, PoD.

I believe that Jim Smith-Wright wrote quite comprehensively (and, for me, bewilderingly) on this subject. Try:

http://www.p4newstreet.com/articles

scroll down to "DEMU Update Magazine   Issue 42 – Working brake pipes"  and you can download a pdf on the subject.

You'll also see that he wrote a follow-up in MRJ issue 164, but this can't be downloaded, unfortunately.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

BR(W).

...Please post a little more on how you achieved it and in the mean time, I'd best check out your blog...

Hello, PoD.

I believe that Jim Smith-Wright wrote quite comprehensively (and, for me, bewilderingly) on this subject. Try:

http://www.p4newstreet.com/articles

scroll down to "DEMU Update Magazine   Issue 42 – Working brake pipes"  and you can download a pdf on the subject.

You'll also see that he wrote a follow-up in MRJ issue 164, but this can't be downloaded, unfortunately.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

BR(W).

Hi, yes that was the basis, but I went a little further doing both the vac pipes and jumper cables which are stowed when not in use, so magnets were used in the stowing couplers too.

Hi Sean,

Just adding a small contribution to the vac. pipes as seen in Jon020's post. I have coincidentally been working on this kind of thing myself today. It proved very difficult to get the polarities right when putting a magnet on the sockets and pipe ends. Having tried substituting 1/32nd steel rod for the pipe ends, I can tell you that works just as well and the bond between the elastic and steel end is much stronger than to the magnets which was not good. Also, the pipes do not try and grip any old ferrous part like they did with the initial magnetic-ended ones. In fact they now find their way to the magnets with ease.

If you are keeping your unit coupled up for a reasonable amount of time, it is worth the effort of adding these fittings. The length of the pipes might need to be extended depending on the severity of the curves the model will have to negotiate though.

All the best,

Colin

Archived