The Penguins workbench - Trans Pennine transformation part 3

Hi Sean as you seem to have hit the buffers with the Trans-Pennine conversion I thought I'd how you how I had got round the problem. First I decided the MBSK was going to be my power coach as one of the plans was to run mixed formations with the 123 so as the buffets had gone by then they could not be used. I had been experimenting with the newer Hornby DMU bogie for some time, (the Hornby VEP unit power bogie seems identical and the Hornby DMU side frames will clip onto it), and they proved to be quite capable of hauling 8 coaches with strategically placed weight above them. As you will see from the attached photos I got it to fit into the brake compartment, just, although some of the wires intruded into the first passenger compartment a little, I suspect a little tidier wire routing would eliminate it all together. 

The motor mount and motor for the Class 124 MBSK.

post-7146-0-70362300-1373042304.jpg

post-7146-0-98175700-1373042295.jpg

Interior for the MBSK. Note the added lead weight crammed between the toilets to balance up the coach for the weight above the motor.

post-7146-0-59333700-1373042315.jpg

With the body on. Little or no intrusion into the first compartment apart from a couple of wires.

post-7146-0-84697300-1373042324.jpg

post-7146-0-76482100-1373042336.jpg

Finally a photo, courtesy of Wibble of a 5 car set on Hornsey Road depot. At this time it was running with a trailer second from a 123 as the units own trailer second and buffet where unfinished.

post-7146-0-53884800-1373042347.jpg

Hope the above re-kindles your enthusiasm.

Paul J.

• RMweb Premium

Cheer up Sean.

Look what I found in my might finish one day box.

post-16423-0-89232800-1373140578.jpg

DMC

post-16423-0-34868700-1373140606_thumb.jpg

DMC

post-16423-0-04051200-1373140635.jpg

MBS

post-16423-0-51676100-1373140664_thumb.jpg

MBS

post-16423-0-49074700-1373140687_thumb.jpg

TRBF

post-16423-0-25747500-1373140718_thumb.jpg

TRBF

post-16423-0-12187500-1373140778_thumb.jpg

TS

post-16423-0-64587800-1373140803_thumb.jpg

MBS with Lima power unit

post-16423-0-32637300-1373140842_thumb.jpg

MBS with Lima power unit

post-16423-0-77011100-1373140867_thumb.jpg

DMC

post-16423-0-59974400-1373140895_thumb.jpg

DMC

Converted from Triang coaches with scratch built ends, now broken. Except the TS is Lima. The Lima power bogie comes from their 0-4-0 american looking shunter and will shift all six coaches. It was mounted in the MBS but the bogie headstocks that fixed to the power unit have broken and gone AWOL.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Sean

Do you mean the cabs, they were to be scratchbuilt like I do my locomotives. The shelf where I housed my DMUs fell off the wall one day and the result was the glazing bars were smashed. You should see what happened to my Cravens unit. :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Sean

The lack of progress was not due to the shelf incident but there is no need for a six coach North of England train in a North East London loco depot, especially when the fiddle yard is only 2 ft long :no:

• RMweb Premium

As for Co-Bos I started these two in 1985, they remain in the might finish one day box.

post-16423-0-12946000-1373148791_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-02112800-1373148804_thumb.jpg

Both are scratch built from plastic card. One has a Hornby Western power bogie with a class 29 pick up bogie. The other has the opposite arrangement.

Thanks Swindon.

It appears from your pictures that you have also retained the Bachmann MK1 chassis and cut a hole for the power bogie. Can you recall if these are the same ones as Hornby fit to their class 121 bubble car? Only reason I ask is that the one I used on the class 128 parcels car didn't run too well on DCC. I have decided that, as a result, the Replica chassis will now be used under the class 128 DPU so at least it won't go to waste.

A rather timely reminder about the additional weights at the other end of the coach too. Fortunately, if I do continue with the plan to make the TBFK into the "power" car it has a transverse toilet compartment that can be filled with extra weight.

Whilst my enthusiasm doesn't need rekindling as such, the comments and suggestions above go a long way to spurring me on to a satisfactory solution. I'm confident I'll be able to find a solution to this issue, but just feel that I might tackle something a little more simple to re-charge my modelling batteries so to speak.

Cheers.

Sean.

Sean,

Can't comment on the DCC question as I'm still an old fashioned DC modeler. (Cost far too much to convert everything, especially the small shunter fleet which haven't the room for a chip anyhow).

You are right in that I did use the Bachmann chassis with a hole cut in it, and the motor is the same one as Hornby use in their Met-Cam 101, the 121 and I have now found out the same as in the VEP.

Paul J.

Hi Sean,

Just noticed your comment re. the Hornby motor not working too well on DCC.  They can be made to behave with a Bachmann 36-553 decoder.  With back-emf enabled, set CV#54 = 05 and CV#55 = 20.  That should sort it out - unless there is a mechanical fault of course.

All the best,

Colin

Hehe love the windows.

Looks like a quality product now.

Excellent weathering just look at those oily bogies (urghh just realised what i said there)

Not the usual applcation of black and brown like you get from some firms.up north.

I look forward to some more of this stuff. Right get back to your wicked then.

And.

Hi Sean,

The latches are imilar to a door handle, the main shaft is slightly tapered with the handle going off a 90 degrees iand continuing in a similar tape defore having a sharply rounded off end.

Looking good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sean,

I think you are being rather self-deprecating about the rivet counting! 

That work on the grille has completely changed the appearance of the roof (much for the better!).  Now if you were a real rivet counter like me, you would have had to mention that  the rivets/bolts holding the grille are pitched differently on the Heljan moulded-on one and the etched Shawplan example.

I'll be back off to the darkened room then.

All the best,

Colin

Yes Sean, a lot of people don't understand what I'm on about most of the time!

It's just that I noticed the fixings/rivets around the flange of those two grilles are pitched differently in relation to the eight supports which radiate out from the centre.

All the best,

Colin

I think I see what you mean Colin.

Each "rib" from the centre on the Heljan version has a rivet at the end and one in between as well as those on the outer ring whearas Brians has a different configuration with only one ring and not adjacent to any "ribs". His class 26 roof fan is different again and I'm now finding it difficult to contain my excitement whilst I find out how many rivets that one has.....

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME.....! :o/

He heh.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Sean,

Sorry for what I have started here. Being ignorant of these matters, it looks to me like there are three different versions of the grille in model form shown in the various recent pictures and none look quite like the one in your picture of 26 038 (love the missing bolts around the rim).

I shall say no more, but this rivet counting thingy is compelling...

All the best,

Colin

• RMweb Gold

I'd agree in the main with your comments Colin, but bear in mind, the one on my model is Brians class 27 etch, which has subtle differences to his class 26 etch and of course, the pictures I posted are of a class 26.

For info, (and finally proving how sad I actually am), I counted 24 rivets around the prototype and the same number on my 27.

Anywho, given that the Archers rivet strips I'm using are not quite exact for this loco, I'm happy with a few compromises.

Now, can we get away from rivet counting and maybe chat about beer or something????

He heh,

Cheers.

Sean.

As any fule no, the class 26, 27 and 33 roof fan grilles are all different :sungum: .

Mike.

Archived