The Penguins workbench - Trans Pennine transformation part 3

Hi Sean

Re the drill bits check with Lord Flasheart - I think he got some from Hobbycraft (at a sensible price) but not sure how small they were. I know he also got some from Boyes but I think the smallest they do is 1mm.

I've picked up the boxed small drill assortments from Boyes on occasion at a very good price. The smallest one is 0.30mm, then 0.05mm increments up to 1mm, then 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6mm. Great for plastics & soft metals.

Hi Sean

Re the drill bits check with Lord Flasheart - I think he got some from Hobbycraft (at a sensible price) but not sure how small they were. I know he also got some from Boyes but I think the smallest they do is 1mm.

I've got some 0.3mm brass wire if you want a length to try (oooerr)!

Will you be going to the club tomorrow night - I have more cake for you.

hi mike , I,ll be at the AGM if you where wondering what to do with any that's left. :D  :angel:

Hi all.

Well, I spent an hour today looking through my earlier posts regarding the Trans - Pennine as I was sure there had been a discussion on the size of the battery boxes on the underframes..... Try as I might, I could not find any reference to it, so I thought I'd pose a question and see where we went, after all, you all came up trumps with the drill bits.

Basically, I have some old Lima underframe sections which will yield spares for the chassis mods. The battery boxes on these appear quite small and, checking pictures, it appears to me that the ones fitted beneath the Trans - Pennine look a similar, (or the same size), as the standard Mk1 battery box.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers.

Sean.

Noooo, the battery boxes on Pennines are about 5 ins smaller than a standard LHCS battery box. The batteries when converted to lead acid (originally NiFe cells) had to be fitted lengthways across the box in two rows of three, rather than six cells right across the box as per LHCS. The depth of the box was slightly deeper than a LHCS battery box designed to carry six BR2A cells.

Hope that helps Sean.

Al Taylor

Hi Sean,

If the Lima battery boxes are shorter than the Bachmann ones, then yes use those. The change from NiFe to lead acid occurred from 1978 onwards. However the battery boxes remained the same.

Al Taylor.

I've said it before; I'll say it again. It was a real shame that one of these units wasn't preserved. They must have had a claim to be saved; they revolutionised the Liverpool-Hull service at the time of their introduction & were pretty distinctive in looks.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

Nothing really to report on the modelling front as I'm currently enjoying fatherhood and desperately trying to postpone the commencement of a full 1st floor re-decorating project in the new house. That said, my Trans - Pennine DMC has a second bogie now and I have also decided to improve the underframe equipment, (although I'm still trying to find details of the underframe equipment - clear pictures are hard to come by).

Anywho, the main point of the post is to say that I will be at the Wigan show this weekend helping to operate my local club layout, Battersby North End. I'll take along the Trans - Pennine and am likely to have DP2 with me as well as my inspection saloon, so if you're at the show, please do say hello. There will be a few other RMwebbers operating too, so plenty of opportunities for a natter.

Cheers.

Sean.

See you on Saturday then :yes:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Sean,

very much enjoying your excellent TP project and have a couple of questions/requests, if I may:

1. are you modifying each cab, or did the first cab become a master for resin casting?

2. Will the etched sides be made available from PH has a kit (ideally with cab ends?). If so, will it be restricted to a full (original) 6-car set, or will a mix & match approach be possible for those of us intending on doing the later hybrid 123/124 sets?

3. any spare resin exhausts left, please?? I'm after 4 pairs. Happy to re-imburse for parts + postage.

Regards,

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The chassis is looking very much better but that is coming from someone who has trouble tilling a class 101 from a 105 or any other dmu for that matter. What I am curious about is how your going to tackle the cab windows with the bending round the side as well as coming inwards as they go up.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. That really does look like a class 124 DMC to me. I travelled in them more times than I would like to say, but you've got the 'feel' of it absolutely right. It's just missing a bit of grime and exhaust fumes! I've been following this project since you first started it, and have patiently waited for this day. It really is very well done.

Looking forward to future developments.

All the best,

Market65.

Hi Sean,

The DMC certainly looks the part. Just needs a splash of red on the fire control panels on the under frame, as they always stood out even on the worst brake dust covered under frames.  The roofs generally didn't get too encrusted with exhaust gunge, just a small area around the pipes and on the adjacent vehicle. The vestibule end just needs that suitable weathering added around the exhaust pipe and I am sure there should be short handrail fitted to this end.

Look forward to to seeing the MBSL and the trailer cars.

Regards

Al Taylor.

PS still trying to find all my detail photos of Pennines.

• RMweb Premium

I think it looks a bit like a DMC, but what does everyone else think?

I think that's just a bit bloody lovely!

Fantastic job - most definitely a 124 DMC. I'm especially liking your wrapround windows.

I might have to bump my own planned 123/124 hybrids up the build list now, seeing that!

• RMweb Gold

Outstanding modelling as always Sean.

Loved the transpennine units - always looked out for them at York in the 1970s a favourite spotting expedition from Bristol.

You should try and get this work in one of the magazines - it might prime a bit of interest for first generation DMUs which seem to have dropped off the RTR radar of late. What a great idea for the front window glazing- I know what you mean re glue and glaze I'm always needing to buy fresh milliput, superglue etc as I put it in a place where I won't forget - and forgot.

What time period are you modelling? I only ever recall blue-grey units with E (rather than NE) unit number prefixes, 1974 onwards.

Neil

Archived