The Penguins workbench - Trans Pennine transformation part 3

Hello there Sean. I'm really looking forward to your Deltics, especially DP2 as I remember your first attempt was really the best that was knocking about at the time, so an updated one is very welcome as the rtr one will probably take a while to surface. A difficult job as there's not so many details available where it counts.

A friend of mine(Dead mans handle) has been putting a DP2 together for about 2 years now; re-hashing it as the new etches came along from Shawplan; but yeah, there's a lot of stumbling blocks with this engine .:D The Penguin always comes through shining though.

Andy

....Its all blood sweat and tears you know.

I must find out what blood group I am.

UPDATE: Just had a note from Redgate to beware the roof fan grille openings, as it's easy to get too enthusiastic and cut a hole that's bigger than the etched grille!!

U

.... don't want him taking the plastic carving crown away from me :angry:

There are shavings all over the place :blink:

Seriously though HT, DELTIC is coming along nicely and looking good so far....

Thanks. The really big one will be trying to get the bogie pivots in the right place, at scale 44-foot centres.....

Right, have now got back from RailEx. Spent at least a half-hour speaking to one Brian Hanson about the Kitmaster ProtoDeltic. Apparently there are more flaws that need correcting. Ones that I didn't know about. The noses, for example.

We may not be able to start glueing in the cantrail grilles just yet.

Great.

I've got a lovely new set of scalpel blades, though.....

....You must share the mighty Brians obsevations with us.....

To start with, the engine room windows on the bodysides are in the wrong place. Compare them with a broadside photo of the real thing. I looked at my model, and the photos. Brian was right on this. :banghead:

That basically means I've got to start shifting window apertures, which means more hacking and filleting. This leads me to think that the body as a whole might be a bit short on overall length....

I'm sure it will get better......no, really....:help:

I've put up two more photos tonight to try to illustrate the bodyside and engine room window errors a bit more clearly. One is repeated directly in this post.

Can you spot the mistakes?

Thing is, Kitmaster put in some - perhaps accidentally - clever illusions in making their tooling. But - and this is the curious thing - it would have been easier for them if they had got the positions right.

Still, onward we go.....

post-6879-0-58293200-1306712298_thumb.jpg

The A1 cantrail grilles are also slightly wrong as well, 'cos they've got too many slats - there should only be thirteen (assuming I counted the ones on the photo properly!). The overall depth of the etch, however, is correct! :blink:

Errm....what do I do now?

....appears the inner and outer windows in each group of three are out.

The inner one is too far forward by 2mm, as are the steps up to the roof. I think the way to rectify this is to saw out the entire window-and-steps section as a block, but without touching the underframe/fuel tanks. Then remove a 2mm strip from the remaining bodyside, after which the window-and-steps block can be shifted back and fixed with solvent. The resulting 2mm gap in front of it can then be filled-in using the 2mm strip that was sawn out.

Likewise, the outer one is too far forward, but to preserve body strength, it would mean filing out the inner part aperture, and filling-in a corresponding part of the outer part.

The middle one is also slightly out as well! Again, it's a matter of 2mm or so. Its rearward edge should line up with the small bodyside opening below it (is that a sandbox lid?)

It's going to need some careful filling of the inner one to spare the footstep mouldings.....

I think the footsteps on the fuel tank are also in the wrong place because they were shifted to disguise the mistake. I'm going to take 'em off and move 'em back.

It's all VERY involved HT, although I think necessary to rectify it.

It's well worth doing. No soldering involved. All I need is a try square, a piercing saw, the scalpel, and loads of Plastic Weld.

I think I'd perhaps lengthen the windows at whichever side is incorrect and then "Backfill" the incorrect end. Those footsteps are going to be intricate to replace too.....

That's exactly what I aim to do for the other two windows. There's no need to touch anything else.

Some updates to the album now posted, showing the most difficult bit of the operation.

It's well worth doing. No soldering involved. All I need is a try square, a piercing saw, the scalpel, and loads of Plastic Weld.

That's exactly what I aim to do for the other two windows. There's no need to touch anything else.

Some updates to the album now posted, showing the most difficult bit of the operation.

Come on HT start a proper build thread in kit building & scratch building. Go on go on go on.

Sorry Mr. Doom it looks like the Deltic is taking over. :laugh:

OzzyO.

The other thing about all this hacking is discovering that there are shortcuts in the cutting procedure, but you only realise it after you've done it the long way round. :angry:

Still, it is a cheap way to achieve a Scalefour ProtoDeltic. Or that's what I keep telling myself.

Come on HT start a proper build thread in kit building & scratch building. Go on go on go on....

Takes too much time!

Every now and again, I feel a need to come back to this thread. There are times when my deltic conversion starts to get on top of me - with limited time due to family and other committments, spending evening after evening cutting out material inside the fuel tanks to improve the look in this area and add the extra pipework behind the brackets, then reprofile the outer tank flanges can seem like a never ending task; now I'm considering adding a speaker (while I'm in there) and possibly comletely removing them and repositioning them in the correct place - but will that leave enough space for the speaker (?) and then there's the fuel gauges that need replacing... SO, when I come back to this and see what's going on with the DELTIC and DP2 modelling jobs, I find myself think that perhaps I'm not quite so insane after all... or is it all just relative :scratchhead:. Anyway... apologies for going a little off topic - I'll get my coat and then get back to finishing the links page in the Class 55 group.

I challenge you to find anyone normal on here!

I mean, we all think investing a significant portion of our lives in small trains is perfectly normal! :lol:

I challenge you to find anyone normal on here!

I mean, we all think investing a significant portion of our lives in small trains is perfectly normal! :lol:

Hello James,

I would say that's perfectly normal. I know I'm normal, I've got a certificate to prove It.

Whats normal about standing in the cold for a couple of hours watching 22 over paid men? kicking a bag of wind about.

OzzyO.

Archived