Adventures in O gauge - First Class kits LNER 8 shoe open merchandise wagon

Boris

So far an interesting weekend of tinkering with the GUV, the roof has been fitted out, complete with a 3 dimensional gutter strip (giving the correct "U" profile of the gutter) and proper 3 dimensional rain strips - no pieces of shaped microstrip here (which would have been easier but less rewarding), a image of which will be uploaded when I can take the photos in daylight because of camera issues. False ends are then added to the roof which slot down inside the ends of the outer body and the inner body, these have the captive nuts talked about earlier that holds the whole thing together. Because there is not a huge amount of space to move things round here, I have found it easier to bend these false ends outwards ever so slightly so they spring in, this coupled with shortening the internal body very slightly (0.25mm in total) makes locating the roof far easier.

The fit of the roof is nigh on perfect, however there is no centre screw for what is quite a long roof, and I have found that if the centre of the coach body is gripped a little too tightly the body tabs will spring out of the slots on the roof and can be a pig to relocate, to this end I have elected to solder the roof to the body for the sake of a little bit more rigidity. This is in no way a reflection of the design of the kit, but as I have stated earlier, I have little or no feeling in either hand so can grip things too tightly on occasion, therefore the coach is being "Boris proofed".

Well, having fitted the roof, I have test fitted it all together:

post-4569-0-82913700-1297381848_thumb.jpg

post-4569-0-09897800-1297381853_thumb.jpg

post-4569-0-34761900-1297381843_thumb.jpg

Next job, clean it all, clean it again, mask the windows, start painting!

I still need to fit the dynamo belt, dynamo feed, and a large cast door hinge that goes both into the underframe and the body. There is a tiny gap at either end at the moment as the body is only sitting on the screw threads rather than being fastened all the way up becuase the nuts are a total pig to get at and I really don't want to fight them in only to fight them out again.

Rail blue is calling...

(Build time now at 192 hours)

• Like 1

Cheers Andy,

I think the paint is what is going to take the time as I have completely exhausted all stocks of appropriate paint!

First off though there is a huge amount of cleaning up to do, and once I have finished that, another clean will probably be done just to make sure, afterwards, I think I may just have in invest in an airbrush to get a decent finish off this model, it certainly warrants it.

• RMweb Gold

:lol: :lol: :lol: This tickled me.

Been looking through this thread and am in admiration of your building patience with that chassis and those bogies.

He did mention Maroon, though it did seem rather strange for Boris... ohmy.gif (but Boris is rather strange...)

There is just something about rail blue, it just does things to me.

Anyway, it's going to take be probably a week just to clean it up before I even think about painting, I suspect that I will do this in the same sequence as I built it, start at the bottom and work up.

Mind you, the colour scheme on the box is quite attractive too.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update, painting is coming on slowly as all parts had to seriously cleaned and than primed. I've used an etching primer applied thinly a layer at a time, with drying taking place in the plate warmer on the trusty Rayburn between coats, giving a really tough baked hard finish. Because the coach comes apart all the different elements were painted seperately and this is the first time it has all been fitted together. There are still a couple of parts to fit, namely a dynamo belt, the main door hinge, and couplings. You can see from the photo that a couple of bits are still rough and ready and I am nowhere near finished painting, then of course we have to whole transfer thing and some serious weathering, and finally a coat of varnish to protect it all.

I am in the process of hand painting certain parts, and patching a few bits that have escaped the airbrush. The body isn't fully fastened to the underframe yet, tightening the nuts underneath is a pig of a job, and I only have one of four properly tight, the rest just being loose in case it has to come apart again for some reason.

I've gone for blue headstocks and am still debating blue vs black solebars, mind you photos show then as a fairly uniform brown colour so any choice is probably arbitrary.

post-4569-0-53579900-1299884850_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

You won't be able to see the blue under the filth I intend to apply, I'm leaving off the grafitti though!

Thanks for the comments guys, hopefully a little more progress will be forthcoming.

While I remember, build time is now at 221 hours - and I've enjoyed every minute of it.

Yes, you did at one point say it would be maroon... biggrin.gif

But, as has been pointed out before, they were actually differing shades of grotty brown, so it might be blue grot or red grot, it's often hard to tell which!

MIght do GUV number 2 in Maroon in the future, but I still find the blue era to be truly fascinating, and it's what I grew up with!

My JLTRT GUVs are painted rail blue, my research shows that the sole bars were also painted blue, but as you have said most of them developed grimy brown solebars and an overall look of dirt.

Many of them were indeed blue, but for every photograph I can find of a blue solebar I can also find a black one! I'm erring towards painting it blue, I mean it's only a 10 minute job with a paintbrush after all! I really am in the early stages of painting and the solebar would have ended up black from spraying the underframe anyway. Besides, nearly every other vehicle on a model railway has a black solebar, so painting it blue is just that little bit different.

Do you mind me asking which transfers you used? I've looked at the Fox ones and am erring towards HMRS at the moment, with elements from other sheets I have as well to add the bits missing off both sheets.

The transfers I used on my Westdale GUV were the HMRS ones. Never had any trouble with them.

Blue solebar gets my vote :good_mini:

Nice job on the GUV by the way.

Thanks Brian, nice job of your GUV as well, I was erring on the side of using the HMRS ones as they are only a few pounds more but you get lots more to a sheet, most of which I can use. Water slide HMRS ones though, I'm not a big fan of Methfix.

Many of them were indeed blue, but for every photograph I can find of a blue solebar I can also find a black one! I'm erring towards painting it blue, I mean it's only a 10 minute job with a paintbrush after all! I really am in the early stages of painting and the solebar would have ended up black from spraying the underframe anyway. Besides, nearly every other vehicle on a model railway has a black solebar, so painting it blue is just that little bit different.

Do you mind me asking which transfers you used? I've looked at the Fox ones and am erring towards HMRS at the moment, with elements from other sheets I have as well to add the bits missing off both sheets.

Boris

I used HMRS transfers but these are a pain to apply as the small detail lettering goes every where but where you want it, it looks OK but it took ages, I have just bought some fox ones for the another one which should be a lot easier to use.

Richard