NORTHEASTERN KITS

ArthurK

• 1 month later...

image.jpg.769e00fe061af2a5815caf08c80fa95d.jpgRecently I purchased a D20 which was professionally built which is extremely unusual for me as I enjoy building kits. I believe this is one of Arthur's kits.

it was at a price that I had to think about until I realised would barely pay for the kit. It's resplendent in NER green which I really like even though most of my modelling is LNER. The reason it won't be repainted is I couldn't get as good a finish and it has grown on me. 

Doug

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Northeastern Kits

A very merry Xmas to everyone

An update

As many of you will know my health suffered a setback in October so disrupting my schedules. Those expecting the Tennant 2-4-0 will have to wait a little longer, but I hope to clear all of these in January.

In the packing stage are three Q5s (all reserved) and a new batch of D20s. In January/ February I hope to begin deliveries of the J25 (there is a long list for this). The Q7 has been two steps forward one step back but it is progressing. The C6 is on hold. It requires new castings for the trailing axle springs (two lengths) and new tender spring dampers; also chimney safety valve covers etc. I hope to squeeze in another project which uses existing castings.

For immediate delivery I have just one NER ‘W’ Class 4-6-0T and one Fletcher cab J77

On another thread modellers are discussing the conversion Bachmann J72 to the short bunker version with drastic surgery at the rear. Why go to all that trouble when I have two of those for immediate delivery!

I also have one of the long bunker available.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Thanks for the update, and hopefully things are heading in the right direction health wise.

Glad to hear the J25 isn't too far away, as my E is daring me to get it painted, so there'll be a nice space on my workbench! I'm trying to fight down the urge to go for a D20 as well, but I think the domestic finances manager may have something to say about that!

Looking forward to further updates.

All the best for the festive season.

Cheers

J

I'm sorry to hear about your health, but hope that you're on the mend now. 

Thanks for keeping us updated regarding progress. Like all good things they should be ready when they are ....... ready.

Have a peaceful and Happy Christmas and all the best for a productive 2020.

Regards

Steve

• Like 1

Arthur - sorry to hear that you’ve been unwell. Alas it seems to be an increasingly common theme amongst some of the stalwarts of our hobby. Glad you are on the mend and I am sure I speak for everyone when I say take it easy and make sure you recover properly. We will wait for you. I personally am really looking forward to the D20s coming in the New Year when you are ready. 

Have a wonderful Xmas and New Year

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN Kits

TENNANT 2-4-0

The latest batch of twelve are being packed ready for delivery.

I have names against eleven of these. They will shortly be receiving an Email or  PM .

If you want the last one send me a PM, there may not be a further batch.

DSCN0514.JPG.237a1a150c4450a70718b5b04f824a8e.JPG

Arthurk

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 27/01/2020 at 20:35, Blandford1969 said:

HI Arthur a random question do you have any spare superheated smokeboxes from your J25 kits I could maybe purchase?

many thanks

Duncan

sorry, no.

My smokebox design is a bit unconventional. I doubt if you would get it to fit without a lot of trouble.

Arthur

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Arthur

Those are lovely looking locos - thank you for posting them.

I must confess that I have a number of your kits on my shelves, although I have completed one so far (a J77). 

Glad to hear that you are still designing kits, I’m really looking forward to a C6.

Best wishes 

Jon

I have an E, and my name down for a P1. After the E practically fell together, I'm very much looking forward to adding it to my collection.

The E is awaiting a trip to the paint shop, but the chassis has been through and re-assembled, and thankfully runs just as well! The design of the kit is excellent, allowing the brake gear to be removed as built being a particular welcome touch!

1962786394_IMG_20200214_0738252.jpg.db541c1156230072581ee15dd33aff21.jpg

Thanks ever so much for some fantastic kits, and I certainly look forward to further additions!

Cheers

J

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

I am at 50/50 Arthur...…………..

Well, perhaps 60/40 would be more accurate!  You can see the current state of play here!

Sorry, but the under-footplate valances need to come off the tender - Tennants didn't have them (not that you'd know it from the instructions to this kit). This photo shows it reasonably well: 

Class E5 - 1474 - Tennant NER Class 1463 2-4-0 - built 1885 by Gateshead Works - 02/29 withdrawn from York North MPD.

There's also something odd about the coal-hole door in the top photo on your blog - surely it should be set back in the vertical slot visible within coal space? 

• Informative/Useful 1

I'll own up to taking the opportunity to get these kits with future plans in mind, so sadly can't as yet repay your efforts in designing them by showing anything finished, but now life is settling down again I hope to make a start this year. In the meantime, I keep planning, watching, reading and learning. Thank you all for sharing your builds, revealing the pitfalls and "tricks" and along the way inspiring.

52 minutes ago, Steve Taylor said:

I'll own up to taking the opportunity to get these kits with future plans in mind, so sadly can't as yet repay your efforts in designing them by showing anything finished, but now life is settling down again I hope to make a start this year. In the meantime, I keep planning, watching, reading and learning. Thank you all for sharing your builds, revealing the pitfalls and "tricks" and along the way inspiring.

Like Steve, I've also been stockpiling Arthur's kits.  In the drawer (along with many other things) are a J73, Q5/1, Q5/2 and two D20s.  I'll also get a Q7 and a C6 as and when they come out, and may find it hard to resist some others as well!  The D20s are top of the queue for building, but I need to make more progress with other locos that are nearing completion (I think!) and the layout before embarking on another loco build.

6 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Sorry, but the under-footplate valances need to come off the tender - Tennants didn't have them (not that you'd know it from the instructions to this kit). This photo shows it reasonably well: 

There's also something odd about the coal-hole door in the top photo on your blog - surely it should be set back in the vertical slot visible within coal space? 

Thank you for both of those points; corrections on the way!

I know I owe you a response on the other matter; working on that too (quite some months I know!).

Mark

• Like 1