NORTHEASTERN KITS

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, drmditch said:

I may have missed something earlier, but do you have news of the V ?

Will it be the original V or the V/09 ?

Sorry for a number of reasons the C6 has been delayed. I won't appear until next year.

ArthurK

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

2 hours ago, AndyViking said:

Arthur

can you let me know if I am on your list for a D20 when they are ready?

Cheers

Andrew

Yes you're in the next six. It shouldn't be long, but I have  a lot on my plate at the moment.

ArthurK

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

J73

I have six if these packed and ready to go.  There are two on the list. Anyone wanting one,, send a PM or Email.

DSCN0156A.jpg.90b2c9652e8ba7a5ceb4cd8c2a12f71f.jpg

Next it will be the turn of the J71 (six).

The D20 was missing some castings. These have now arrived. The first those should be ready In a few days. There are quite a  number waiting  for this. I should be able to complete the first six, but I am awaiting tenders for the rest.

I am putting together a few kits for the 1920  rebuilds of the J77 (Worsdell cab). Currently there is only one on the list for these.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

D20

P1120002.jpg.deda61177f35ff3f1d3242731decf4a0.jpg

At last I have the next six kits ready to go. The first on my list will receive notification in the next few days.  Thee next six are awaiting tenders to arrive from the etchers.

There has been a long wait for this one, but we've got there

Sorry this one is fully subscribed.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK
spelling
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Very quick turn round from Arthur teh R Class kit has arrived and looks beautiful. Motor, gearbox and wheels are required before a start can be made.

Many thanks Arthur!

Baz

• RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

D20

The first batch has/is being dispatched, although I haven't yet heard from a couple on my list.

The next batch is waiting for a delivery of tender etches. These have been a bit slower since Corvid messed things up. 

Another birthday today but quite uneventful. I still plod along, but not without something to hang on to!

ArthurK

• Friendly/supportive 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thinking the Unthinkable

Thoughts on NER Class A 2-4-2T

I have thought long and hard about the best way to build a 2-4-2 Chassis. This has to be flexible enough to traverse track radii encountered in the 4mm model. The ‘A class’ (LNER F8) which has a wheelbase of 7’ 6” + 8’ 1 ½” + 7’ 6”, total 23’ 1 ½”. The original had straight frames and relied on radial trucks front and back. These were centred on a point at the centre of the driving axles. The frames were 4’ apart and 1” thick. With the tyres at 4’ 5 5/8” this allowed a side-play only little more than 1 1/2 “.

On the model, this wheel arrangement has problems in that If there are swinging trucks front and rear then. without some form of spring restraint the model will tend to waddle along the track. We can use radial trucks on the model but, they will certainly need some form of centre spring. 

When working to P4 standards I set the outside of the frames to 16mm (4 feet). The correspond distances in EM and OO are 15mm and 12.5mm respectively.

My next thoughts were that we happily accept these dimensions to take our 0-6-0 locos around 4mm trackwork and for a 0-6-2T simply swing the trailing truck. A typical 0-6-0 loco has a wheelbase of 8’ 0” + 8’ 6” (34mm).   We negotiate curves by allowing side-play on one or more of the axles. Surely if we treat our 2-4-2 as an 0-6-2 then the wheelbase becomes 15’ 7 ½” + 7’ 6”, with the coupled wheelbase less than a typical 0-6-2. Why not treat it as such and merely swing the rear axle. In model form we may need to joggle or inset the frames behind the rear wheel. The NER elected to inset the frames of its 0-6-2s

Next, we have the problem of various forms of suspension. If we elect to use a rigid wheelbase for the first three axles, then we simply need to allow some sideplay on the centre of three. If we prefer to use compensation (my preferred option) then the first axle can rock and the next pair would ride on beams. That leaves the remaining axle which can be a simple truck with swing radius as large as possible.

Comments please.

ArthurK

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, ArthurK said:

Thinking the Unthinkable

Thoughts on NER Class A 2-4-2T

I have thought long and hard about the best way to build a 2-4-2 Chassis. This has to be flexible enough to traverse track radii encountered in the 4mm model. The ‘A class’ (LNER F8) which has a wheelbase of 7’ 6” + 8’ 1 ½” + 7’ 6”, total 23’ 1 ½”. The original had straight frames and relied on radial trucks front and back. These were centred on a point at the centre of the driving axles. The frames were 4’ apart and 1” thick. With the tyres at 4’ 5 5/8” this allowed a side-play only little more than 1 1/2 “.

On the model, this wheel arrangement has problems in that If there are swinging trucks front and rear then. without some form of spring restraint the model will tend to waddle along the track. We can use radial trucks on the model but, they will certainly need some form of centre spring. 

When working to P4 standards I set the outside of the frames to 16mm (4 feet). The correspond distances in EM and OO are 15mm and 12.5mm respectively.

My next thoughts were that we happily accept these dimensions to take our 0-6-0 locos around 4mm trackwork and for a 0-6-2T simply swing the trailing truck. A typical 0-6-0 loco has a wheelbase of 8’ 0” + 8’ 6” (34mm).   We negotiate curves by allowing side-play on one or more of the axles. Surely if we treat our 2-4-2 as an 0-6-2 then the wheelbase becomes 15’ 7 ½” + 7’ 6”, with the coupled wheelbase less than a typical 0-6-2. Why not treat it as such and merely swing the rear axle. In model form we may need to joggle or inset the frames behind the rear wheel. The NER elected to inset the frames of its 0-6-2s

Next, we have the problem of various forms of suspension. If we elect to use a rigid wheelbase for the first three axles, then we simply need to allow some sideplay on the centre of three. If we prefer to use compensation (my preferred option) then the first axle can rock and the next pair would ride on beams. That leaves the remaining axle which can be a simple truck with swing radius as large as possible.

Comments please.

ArthurK

It's worth asking on the Scalefour site, Arthur - Dave Bradwell (and others) will be only to happy to give you ideas. I'll look on with interest as I'm scratchbuilding one of these next. I'd planned to use LRM radial trucks, but hadn't really got much further than that. The 0-6-2 idea sounds a good one.  

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

I've built a few locos with actual radial trucks but they haven't been conspicuously successful, I prefer internal pony trucks on the same radius now.

How does that work with frame cutouts, Mike? I'd rather avoid them, and Arthur may want to too, given that he's speaking about narrowing the frames as per the prototype.  

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I think all that should work OK, I would usually put the radial pivot exactly where it was in full size but that might be awkward if it does coincide with a driving axle. Which axle will the model be driven on?

If we mount the driving wheels on beams, then it doesn't really matter!

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, D-A-T said:

I have an Alan Gibson F6 in the kit pile but wasn’t overly impressed by the chassis. So I ordered one of these: http://website.rumneymodels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/X.01-Marcus-Burrows-F4-5-6_Chassis_Instructions.pdf

It uses pony trucks but integrates them into the CSB. 

Yes, I am aware of their solution.

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

This is my Fathers scratchbuilt one.. in OO there are no trucks just a lot of play on the wheelsets at each end (plus s bit of vertical springing. It works fine.. but moving it up to EM-- which may happen - I would put a swinging truck like Mike says a bit like the Judith Edge N5

480990566_NERClassA1346.JPG.bba1f3090cd674c294da16373555878a.JPG

Baz

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1